The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very simple question: Is Olly Barkley fit and playing well at the moment? If so would he get a look in with Lancaster?

+4
formerly known as Sam
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
funnyExiledScot
screamingaddabs
8 posters

Go down

Very simple question: Is Olly Barkley fit and playing well at the moment?  If so would he get a look in with Lancaster? Empty Very simple question: Is Olly Barkley fit and playing well at the moment? If so would he get a look in with Lancaster?

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 06 Jan 2012, 3:53 pm

Yeah, title says it all. The first two bits should just need a Bath fan to let me know in one post :-)

I live in Scotland now and don't have sky so I don't see nearly as much Premier stuff as I'd like and then lose track of how everyone is doing.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Very simple question: Is Olly Barkley fit and playing well at the moment?  If so would he get a look in with Lancaster? Empty Re: Very simple question: Is Olly Barkley fit and playing well at the moment? If so would he get a look in with Lancaster?

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:02 pm

I'm not a Bath fan but I did watch them over the Christmas period and the answers to my mind are:

1. He is fit enough to play.

2. He is not playing well enough at the moment.

3. Were he playing well enough (or close to his potential), then I'm sure Lancaster would pick him.

It doesn't help him that Bath are struggling at the moment, but perhaps if he can link up well with Donald and Hipkiss then things will improve. If all players are fit then Bath have a very good backline:

9.Claasens 10.Donald 11.Biggs 12.Barkley 13.Hipkiss 14.Banahan 15.Abendannon

One of the best backlines in the Jeff.

Last edited by funnyExiledScot on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Very simple question: Is Olly Barkley fit and playing well at the moment?  If so would he get a look in with Lancaster? Empty Re: Very simple question: Is Olly Barkley fit and playing well at the moment? If so would he get a look in with Lancaster?

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:04 pm

No, Lancaster has made it clear hes picking a squad with a view to the 2015 world cup and one that would restore the pride and repauation of England rugby form a behaviour point of view.

Barkley isnt likely to be prime in 2015, and he doesnt exactly represent the best of behaviour either. Hes not a Lancaster man.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:08 pm

Cool, thanks for letting me know. I'd love to see him back in form, I was wondering why no one was mentioning him for the 12 spot.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

No and no. He's not fit at the moment and when he was playing for Bath around Christmas time he didn't look close to his best form. To be honest even on his best form I'd think there was four or five better ICs in the AP and available to England.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 06 Jan 2012, 4:18 pm

He has just come back from a horrible leg break, but I think he now has a little niggle (wrist?) so did play against irish and isnt in the squad for Sarries.

At the moment you would say Barritt is far more deserving of a cap, but 12 isnt exactly an area of strength for England, so it will be interesting to see what happens if he regains some form.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:21 pm

After being out for 8 months Barkley has still only played a handful of games and match fitness and form will take longer as well as gelling the new combination on both sides of his position at twelve.
England look very light on experienced kicking skills at centre and Barkley is tailor made for that role - if that becomes a requirement for Lancaster.

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 7:37 pm

As others have said he is not fit, and no I wouldn't want him picked if he was. Players such as Barritt, Farrell, Allen (when fit) and Twelvetrees would probably be in front of him at the moment. If Lancaster is going to start picking 30 year old backs without a view to the wc in 2015 then I would personally like to see JSD picked at 11 against Scotland.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Fri 06 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

As B91212 says frankly, particularly the JSD part!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 06 Jan 2012, 9:12 pm

NO, Pure and simple. England have better players than having to rely on Olly Barkey.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down