The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geraint Hawkes - Neath chairman steps down, so Neath can repair their relationship with the Ospreys.

5 posters

Go down

Geraint Hawkes - Neath chairman steps down, so Neath can repair their relationship with the Ospreys. Empty Geraint Hawkes - Neath chairman steps down, so Neath can repair their relationship with the Ospreys.

Post by Shifty Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:06 pm

http://www.neathrugby.co.uk/NewsArticle.aspx?n=20108

Dear Supporters and Friends,

I hope you have had a good Christmas and wish you all prosperity for 2012. I have always considered it a privilege to be involved with this great club and it is with heartfelt regret that I have now decided to step down as Chairman in the near future.

The year ahead will be a very challenging one for myself and my family business-wise - this has naturally affected my decision and so has the Club's unfortunate relationship with the Ospreys which is something which I cannot myself repair.

My dealings with the Board of our respected Region have been far from harmonious with certain broken bridges having no prospect whatsoever of being rebuilt. As part of next season's new 12 Club Premiership, there is an onus on both Neath and its Region to work closely and I hope that, by moving aside, this will open the door to more progressive times.

Neath Rugby has contributed much more than most to the Regional table, and more importantly, the National game itself. However, it is totally unacceptable to see would-be third generation Neath Rugby players being forbidden to wear the famous Welsh All Black shirt as a result of circumstances which they can’t personally control.

This in itself, has brought a new level of reality and one that saddens me. It is my firm belief that player development within our Region is being hampered and I sincerely hope that, for the good of both Club and Region, relationships can now be repaired and progressed. Fault lies on both sides, but now is the time that we all must move on.

I have already approached certain individuals (and I welcome any interest from others) who are prepared to work hard together over the coming weeks to establish a new structure which is best placed to protect the Clubs interests .

My association with Neath Rugby has enabled me to forge lifelong friendships and has given me irreplaceable memories that I will always cherish. The success the Club enjoys has made this decision even harder. It is now important that the community pulls together and galvanizes itself to ensure the long term future of not only the towns greatest asset, but one of Welsh Rugby’s oldest heritages.

May I take this opportunity of thanking you all on behalf of myself and my family for allowing me to be your Club Chairman and I sincerely hope that I have played a small part in preserving one of rugby’s greatest clubs.

Geraint Hawkes
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Geraint Hawkes - Neath chairman steps down, so Neath can repair their relationship with the Ospreys. Empty Re: Geraint Hawkes - Neath chairman steps down, so Neath can repair their relationship with the Ospreys.

Post by Shifty Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:08 pm

Looks like Cuddy won then.
I wonder if the Ospreys NEED Neath now though as the Ospreys have bought and invested heavily in Bridgend.
Also the only player to come out of Neath for years is Kristian Phillips.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Geraint Hawkes - Neath chairman steps down, so Neath can repair their relationship with the Ospreys. Empty Re: Geraint Hawkes - Neath chairman steps down, so Neath can repair their relationship with the Ospreys.

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:14 pm

It would be great to see the reputation repaired, plenty of former Neath RFC boys at the Ospreys. Duncan Jones, Shane Williams and Adam Jones the most notable.

Messy situation, hopefully being cleared up now.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:17 pm

Kristian who?

What happens if Cuddy decides that he doesn't like the new chairman either?

This small-time benefactor nonsense will kill the superclubs eventually. We need proper, corporate, professional sponsorship at regional level, not a reliance on local 'entrepreneurs' whose rugby knowledge could be effectively summarised on the back of a stamp.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:19 pm

Well the plan is that Regions become independently financed eventually. To be fair Cuddy and the other Regional benefactors have been good at toeing the line with the WRU. They could have been far more obstinate...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 08 Jan 2012, 6:22 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Well the plan is that Regions become independently financed eventually. To be fair Cuddy and the other Regional benefactors have been good at toeing the line with the WRU. They could have been far more obstinate...

That's a good point actually. If any of them had achieved any notable success over the last 8 years they'd be a nightmare now.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 08 Jan 2012, 7:16 pm

Sensible decision if you ask me. Now they can get on with the rugby, and leave out the politics.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 08 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

Ooooh Cari, wouldnt we all like to see rugby with amicable politics...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 08 Jan 2012, 9:03 pm

Cari wrote:Sensible decision if you ask me. Now they can get on with the rugby, and leave out the politics.

Sweet sentiment.

It would be churlish to point out that without multi-million-pound funding by the local authority (subsidised by tax-payers) - the Scarlets would cease to exist.

Politics, business and sport all in the same messy mix. Such is the modern world.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2012, 9:05 pm

You are aware that the Scarlets are paying back the loan, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 08 Jan 2012, 9:09 pm

The more I read on here the stronger the case for a North Wales region so that the youngsters can develop in a unpolluted environment.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:48 am

Cymroglan wrote:The more I read on here the stronger the case for a North Wales region so that the youngsters can develop in a unpolluted environment.
Well you have the youngsters, you have rugby clubs there is a promotion and relegation system... There is even a region that were meant to be playing in the premiership last year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down