The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys Stowers and JT cited after Dragons match.

+8
Meflanker
RuckingFlanker86
munkian
red_stag
manofgwent
Cymroglan
maestegmafia
Shifty
12 posters

Go down

Ospreys Stowers and JT cited after Dragons match. Empty Ospreys Stowers and JT cited after Dragons match.

Post by Shifty Mon 09 Jan 2012, 5:18 pm

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/rugby/seniors/6163.php

Two Ospreys players have been cited for foul play following the match versus Newport Gwent Dragons at Rodney Parade on Friday.
George Stowers, the replacement back row forward, was cited for an alleged dangerous tackle in the 67th minute, and Jonathan Thomas, the replacement back row forward, was also cited for a dangerous tackle in the 79th minute of the match.
Both players will be required to attend a hearing before an three man independent RaboDirect Pro12 disciplinary committee, date and venue of which will be confirmed separately.

There will be no further comment from Ospreys Rugby on this matter.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Ospreys Stowers and JT cited after Dragons match. Empty Re: Ospreys Stowers and JT cited after Dragons match.

Post by Shifty Mon 09 Jan 2012, 5:18 pm

Whoops Sad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Ospreys Stowers and JT cited after Dragons match. Empty Re: Ospreys Stowers and JT cited after Dragons match.

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Jan 2012, 5:30 pm

Amazing how the BBC can publish a story, of a match they filmed, and not provide the coverage...?

Their journalism gets lazier every year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 09 Jan 2012, 5:35 pm

Is citing going OTT these days ? I watched the game and did not see anything out of order and neither did I see the Dragon players show any reaction to something dangerous.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Jan 2012, 5:42 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Is citing going OTT these days ? I watched the game and did not see anything out of order and neither did I see the Dragon players show any reaction to something dangerous.
Well it is disruptive. Last week when Matthew Rees and Rhodri Jones were cited and not charged..! Lets hope these two incidents are innocuous too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:34 pm

I think Stowers' will be for a high tackle. I know the ref penalised him but perhaps the citing commissioner didn't think that sufficient.

Don't recall JT being involved in a bad tackle, but the end of the match was so exciting, I think a lot would have been missed.

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:38 pm

Stowers? His tackle wasn't that bad at all.
If I remember rightly. Johnathon anonymous seemed to throw a Dragons player at a ruck. It all seems a bit harsh to me.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:48 pm

I remember the Stowers one they showed it a couple of times.. His hand rode up off the chest.

Last edited by Cymroglan on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I'm thick)

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 09 Jan 2012, 9:22 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:Is citing going OTT these days ? I watched the game and did not see anything out of order and neither did I see the Dragon players show any reaction to something dangerous.
Well it is disruptive. Last week when Matthew Rees and Rhodri Jones were cited and not charged..! Lets hope these two incidents are innocuous too.

I think there is no harm in citings especially if they are done properly. For example I watched the Matthew Rees/Rhodri Jones incident and it looked borderline to me. No harm in the Pro12 disciplinary saying formally "we looked at it, its all fine". It makes things more transparent.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 09 Jan 2012, 9:48 pm

Stowers could have got a yellow but one eyed Jiffy dismissed him even being penalized.Can't remember the other incident
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Mon 09 Jan 2012, 10:26 pm

The Stowers tackle was a bit was just a hard hit on Chavs chest, more big man on small man than anything else. No idea on JT.

If you want a laugh check out all the ''It's not fair, everyone picks on us Crying or Very sad '' posts on the O's facebook page.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 09 Jan 2012, 10:52 pm

Has anyone got a link to the incidents????

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Meflanker Tue 10 Jan 2012, 12:43 am

I just watched the incedents again.

The Stowers tackle was borderline but you can see why it has been cited because Chavanga went down with a suspect head injury - Stowers' shoulder caught his head but his arms were wrapped around his upper chest.

And the only thing I could see for JT was when he flipped Faletau upside down in a ruck (kind of like a powerbomb/ piledriver wrestling move)

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:02 am

Can't see anything wrong with either incident and it seems we are getting softer with contact area etc.

Hopefully both will be found not guilty and free to play etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 12 Jan 2012, 1:56 pm

Ospreys will be without George Stowers for their final Heineken Cup pool games after being banned for four weeks.

Stowers has been banned for four weeks for a dangerous tackle on Dragons wing Tanderai Chavhanga in the 67th minute of the 21-20 defeat at Newport.

But his back-row colleague Jonathan Thomas has been cleared to play against Treviso and Biarritz after being cleared of a dangerous tackle.

Thomas is free to continue playing after his citing was not upheld.

After viewing Stowers' tackle on Chavhanga from various TV angles the disciplinary committee found that the tackle merited a low-end entry point of two weeks in the IRB's list of recommended sanctions list.

But they increased the sanction by one week in view of the player's poor disciplinary record in the past 36 months and a further one week in line with the IRB's recent memorandum on dangerous tackling.

Stowers can resume playing on 9 February 2012 and has the right of appeal.

The Ospreys host Treviso at the Liberty Stadium on Friday night before travelling to Biarritz nine days later.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:04 pm

Thats a poor decison by the panel it didn't warrant a ban IMO.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:08 pm

The players know how strict the governing officials are being on dangerous tackles. This is the fourth citing in two weeks.

Shame but the players have to learn to play by the new rules else they will be cited and banned.

Stowers will not be a huge loss, he has hardly impressed as much as we anticipated.

All very unfortunate though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:16 pm

I think with Stowers, it was poor technique that was his downfall. On the replays it does look quite nasty on Chav's neck, not the initial contact but as him and Chav fall to the floor. He can find himself unlucky that he's had an extra week added on due to the IRB memorandum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:18 pm

They weren't the worst incidents that I had seen. What I don't understand is when we played the blues (dragons) there were 3 shoulder barges on Dragons players yet no citing's. I think out of the 3 incidents only one penalty was given. Consistency that's all we ask for, so everyone knows what to do!
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 12 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

The interesting stat is out of four citings in two welsh derby games only one player was banned, other three cleared of any wrong doing.

Those four players were all unable to take a full part in their weeks training because they may not have been able to feature if they were banned.

The citings have to be more accurate. 75% innocent rate is not good.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 3:53 pm

I remember seeing the Stowers incident and from what I can remember it looked nasty but he is quite big and chavy's shoulder weren't very high at the time, but on replays you could see he wrapped his arms round his upper chest it's just with the force of the tackle his shoulder caught Chavy on the head.

I'd say a pen yes but no way a citing - especially not 4 weeks, that's madness.

Can't remember a JT one, must have missed it

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm

No consistency by anyone adjudicating on or off the pitch is the biggest problem in rugby at the moment.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:36 pm

At the time it looked bad but on replay I don't even think it was a penalty, this is getting daft with all these citing's and the one they pick on is wrong! I don't rate Stowers but it was a really harsh outcome, if was him I would appeal or consider legal action using Jiffy's commentry as evidence.

I am all for player safety but players are going to get injured with good hard tackles, it looks as if the Ospreys have taken on a marked man!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:15 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I think with Stowers, it was poor technique that was his downfall.
C'mon Scarlets fan... go on say it... He's a Samoan! Laugh
JT pile drivers someone it's an non offence, Stowers taps someone, bloody hell, Samoan thugs! 4 week ban! Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

He got the same time for that as ashton did dragging Tuilagi off the pitch by his dread locks...!

I dont condone either but this was just a high tackle. I have never seen someone pull someone off a pitch by their hair in rugby at any level.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:50 pm

Alyn - All Dreamer said was he showed poor technique - I agree with her, but also think there's no way it should have been cited let alone had this ban. Not sure what's going to happen next - maybe a line around the solar plexus that your not allowed to tackle over and if you tackle someone you've got to be able to flatten down the grass under them and then lay them down nice and peaceful before going for the ball - it's madness

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down