The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Klondike????

3 posters

Go down

Klondike???? Empty Klondike????

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 8:59 pm

Came across this guys name the other day his birth name was John W Haynes and he was also known as The Black Hercules . Not a name I had heard of before but he mixed in good company. The first man to beat Jack Johnson and he had a couple of fights with Sam Langford one for the 'coloured' heavyweight title. If anyone could share any knowledge they have on him or a link to any further info it would be appreciated. I can't seem to find out much else about him apart from what boxrec have.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Klondike???? Empty Re: Klondike????

Post by Steffan Tue 10 Jan 2012, 9:01 pm

Sounds like a bad guy in a James Bond film

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:45 pm

SRR, have got Clay Moyle's biography of Sam Langford and this is how he describes Haynes:

"Sam accepted a match against a lightly regarded fighter named Klondyke Haines. Klondyke, who fought out of Chicago, was known to possess a big punch but have a problem landing it. His main claim to fame was a fifth round technical knockout of Johnson early in Johnson's career in 1899"

He apparently went the distance with an out of sorts Langford first time round and was foolish enough to become a little boastful on the back of this which prompted a rematch and second time round he did not last the distance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Jan 2012, 10:48 pm

Cheers Rowley I thought you or Manos would know something.

I never thought he was anything special just from his record. He did apparently fight 3 times in one day according to boxrec. It was the victory over Johnson and his name that caught my attention.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum