The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mervyn Westfield

+13
Pal Joey
Luke
guildfordbat
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Adam D
Mike Selig
LOVERBOY
Fists of Fury
msp83
skyeman
Mad for Chelsea
Biltong
v3
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mervyn Westfield Empty Mervyn Westfield

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:50 am

Meryvn Westfield, is due to stand trial today, due to spot fixing which happened whilst playing for essex in 2009..

he allegedly bowled his first over to allow a specific number of runs to come off of it. Sad

Back to top Go down

Mervyn Westfield Empty Re: Mervyn Westfield

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:04 am

he has pleaded gulity, and they will sentence him at a later date..apparently maximum sentence for taking a bung, in this case is 7 years.

Back to top Go down

Mervyn Westfield Empty Essex cricketer pleads guilty to Spot Fixing

Post by v3 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:00 pm

Ohh my Gawd...cricketers from England are also fixing.

anf Hussain says he should not be banned for life???
Yeah...only pakistanis should be banned for life and jailed.......other should be used to make a promotional video Very Happy

Westfield pleads guilty to spot-fixing

News : Mervyn Westfield spot-fixing trial set to begin

News : Mervyn Westfield charged with fraud

News : Kaneria released without charge in spot-fixing investigation

Players/Officials: Mervyn Westfield

Teams: England | Essex

Mervyn Westfield, the former Essex bowler, has become the first English cricketer to be convicted of spot-fixing after pleading guilty at the Old Bailey to criminal charges arising from a spot-fixing investigation by Essex police. He will be sentenced on February 10.

Westfield admitted he accepted £6,000 to concede 12 runs in his first over of Essex's Pro40 tie against Durham at Chester-le-Street in September 2009. The match was televised live and available in India, the centre of cricket's illegal gambling industry.

Having pleaded guilty to accepting or obtaining corrupt payments under the 1906 Corruption Act, Judge Anthony Morris warned Westfield he could face a jail sentence up to a maximum of seven years. A separate charge of assisting another person to cheat at gambling was ordered to lie on file.

Westfield conceded 60 runs from seven overs, bowling four wides and two no balls, after agreeing to concede a set number of runs in return for payment.

Nasser Hussain, the former England and Essex captain, called for "an appropriate ban" and for Westfield to be used prominently in an education process for young professional cricketers.

"We have to be tough on spot-fixers to send a message to future generations," Hussain told Sky Sports. "He was a 21-year-old and he made a mistake. I don't think you can take the game of cricket away from the rest of his life. Use him as an example, make a video or something, to make sure that cricketers don't make the same mistake he did."

More to follow.

v3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:01 pm

welcome back anu!

THREAD HAS ALRADY BEEN CREATED ON HIM, CAN WE SCRAP THIS ONE PLZ, AS I MADE ONE EARLIER.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:01 pm

V3 are you V2 in disguise?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

can someone merge this with the other article on Westfield?

I disagree with Hussain here. The only way to eradicate this type of behaviour is life-time bans. I imagine Westfield thinks his pleading guilty will stop him having the book thrown at him too much though, and maybe that's fair enough.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:02 pm

At least a V2 can be useful on a cruiser motorcycle.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:03 pm

its anu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

come on, let's not all attack anu (if indeed it is anu, the posting style is similar). It's a perfectly valid topic, and one that deserves to be discussed. Needs merging with other thread though, no point really in having two threads on the same subject.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

Not so sure Very Happy Better English than Anu. Even excluding the pasted article.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

I agree, cheats and spot-fixers should be banned for life.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:21 pm

skyeman, anu loved the match fixing issue, so who's first post on this site, would be about match fixing and taking such delight from it!

i rest my case

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

Terrible, just ban him for a long period if not for life. Well done to the essex police.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:40 pm

Well said, msp, and that's just anu...we will deal with Westfield later Wink

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:43 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Well said, msp, and that's just anu...we will deal with Westfield later Wink

Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

by LOVERBOY Today at 2:48 pm

Westfield has fessed up to the spot-fixing accusation and faces at the very least to a suspended sentence.
He gave into temptation and the big bucks on offer,sadly for him he was found out and now made a scapegoat,whilst others remain undetected,including the man jointly accused with him originally to whom the judge made reference,who is now out of the country and refusing to return to face justice.
Westfield was not the prime mover in this case but will take the rap for more powerful and influential forces involved.
LOVERBOY

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Thu 12 Jan 2012, 3:23 pm

Grassed up by a fellow proffesional with a grievance against the county that released him leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:20 pm

TONY PALLADINO has been named as the player who grassed up Westfield.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:28 pm

Any evidence that life-time bans will make any difference?

Because you know, capital punishment drastically reduces the death penalty, doesn't it? Oh that's right, it doesn't.

Let's get real, sentencing as a deterrent doesn't work in general. Therefore Hussain is talking sense (unlike the usually intelligent Mike Brearley). Appropriate punishment and education to prevent others falling into the same trap is the way forward.

[/rant]

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:34 pm

here is a ECB statement:

ECB statement - Mervyn Westfield

ECB today issued the following statement in response to the court case brought against Mervyn Westfield at the Old Bailey today. The former Essex bowler admitted a charge of corruptly accepting or obtaining, or agreeing to accept or obtain, corrupt payments. Sentencing was adjourned until February 10th.

ECB said: "This case has clearly demonstrated that there can be no complacency with regard to the potential threat posed to all areas and levels of sport including our domestic game by corrupt activities. It has also highlighted the need to further enhance player education around this issue and the ECB ACCESS Unit will be working closely with all those involved in the professional game and the PCA towards this end. This case sends out a clear message to all players and officials that spot or match fixing is a criminal activity and punishable in law. We will, of course, continue to do our utmost to ensure that cricket is free from any corrupt activity."

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:51 pm

Mike Selig wrote:Any evidence that life-time bans will make any difference?

Because you know, capital punishment drastically reduces the death penalty, doesn't it? Oh that's right, it doesn't.

Let's get real, sentencing as a deterrent doesn't work in general. Therefore Hussain is talking sense (unlike the usually intelligent Mike Brearley). Appropriate punishment and education to prevent others falling into the same trap is the way forward.

[/rant]

Probably not much diffference no, but they will know what to expect if caught. Lifetime ban, prison, shame, and a new career.

Once again, everyone knows right from wrong, it is pure greed that these guys risk all for and with some no amount of education will change that. Greed will always rule for some.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:52 pm

Palladino will be looking over his shoulder after being named as the player who told the authorities about westfield...they will defo wanna question him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:56 pm

skyeman wrote:

[/rant]

Probably not much diffference no, but they will know what to expect if caught. Lifetime ban, prison, shame, and a new career.

Once again, everyone knows right from wrong, it is pure greed that these guys risk all for and with some no amount of education will change that. Greed will always rule for some.

If as you say they'll do it whatever, what's the point of a life ban? Does it make you feel better? Revenge/retribution?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:57 pm

he wont get a life ban

and as far as prison goes, the maximum sentence in this case, is 7 years imprisonment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:04 pm

Which is of course entirely proportionate to the crime. Like, you know, 3 years for writing "let's riot" on Facebook. If Westfield gets a prison sentence I give up.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:12 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
skyeman wrote:

[/rant]

If as you say they'll do it whatever, what's the point of a life ban? Does it make you feel better? Revenge/retribution?

Mike, revenge/retribution on the players does not concern me, I do not know them. These players are damaging the image of the sport and what they are doing is now is deemed illeagal. Are you suggesting that if caught that they should not receive a lifetime ban (or allowed to play again). If I were to be caught stealing or doing other criminal activities for a company that I worked for would they reemploy me after dismissing me?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:16 pm

I wouldve thought 7 years in jail would be a bigger deterrent than a lifetime ban from cricket.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:52 pm

he wont get a life ban, however i feel a prison sentence is the right punishment.

mike didnt we have this same debate when it happened to the pakistani cricketers Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:10 pm

The respected MCC commitee made up of former and active stars of the game such as Kumar Sangakkara and Rahul Dravid have made these suggestions to the ICC.

Recommending life bans for any captain, vice-captain and coach found guilty of corruption - with the punishments at the international level also applying to domestic cricket. This, if implemented, would rule out the possibility of Butt making a comeback when his ban is over.

And it said "mystery shopper" operations should be considered, preferably directed at somebody already suspected.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:13 pm

i think they made a very good suggestion, however wouldnt work in this case, as westfield was none of them lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:19 pm

Yeah, they did fall short of saying "lifetime bans to all players" as though it is more serious for the coach, captain and vice-captain to do. Or in other words those with more responsibilities.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:35 pm

I am for neither lifetime bans nor prison sentences in this case. It would be entirely disproportionate. I agreed with the prison sentences (although I thought they were somewhat harsh) handed out to the Pakistani players as it was in a far more high profile match, with players who had far more responsibility to the game.

The MCC committee has made many intelligent and valuable contributions to cricket. This is not one of them.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:50 pm

I'll be keen to post about Mervyn Westfield but prefer to wait until after the judge imposes sentence with comments next month.

I carry no flag for Westfield although think we shouldn't rush to suggesting punishment when not all is yet in the public domain.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:58 pm

Weather he goes to prison or not he is going to get a life time ban from cricket. As no county is going to sign him now, and i doubt that many club sides will want much to do with him.

The thing that is pussling me is how can you ensure how many runs are scored in a over?
It needs a hell of alot of things to come together.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:03 pm

tigerrobins wrote:
The thing that is pussling me is how can you ensure how many runs are scored in a over?

The exact number is quite hard. More than is fairly easy if you control your bowling and set your fields apropriately.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:46 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Weather he goes to prison or not he is going to get a life time ban from cricket. As no county is going to sign him now, and i doubt that many club sides will want much to do with him.

no he isnt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 12 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
tigerrobins wrote:

The exact number is quite hard. More than is fairly easy if you control your bowling and set your fields apropriately.

Fair point Mike, from what i heard it was an exact number, but i could have heard wrong. They are having a cricket hour on 5live at 9, going to listen see if they mention this case, as i also heard he bowled 4 wides and 2 no balls in the over and i can't believe that that is true.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:00 pm

Thanks Tr, gonna listen too now Very Happy

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:08 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:
tigerrobins wrote:Weather he goes to prison or not he is going to get a life time ban from cricket. As no county is going to sign him now, and i doubt that many club sides will want much to do with him.

no he isnt.

I think you misunderstood the point i was trying to make. I didn't mean a life time ban from the ECB etc.
I mean that after his prison sentace (probably), and ban. That no county will want to sign him. So in effect it is a life ban although not from ECB.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 12 Jan 2012, 9:12 pm

Tuffers and Vaughn on the radio both say he will go to jail, harsh.

And both praised whoever named him, saying more players should do so.

And that first class cricket will be more vulnerable than International cricket from now on.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:58 am

When is the decision being handed down?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:28 am

Just don't see how people can do something like this. Your team mates are, or at least should be, like family. A close group in which trust is 100%.

I have a real worry that there are lot more people involved in this at county level and it is sickening.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:32 am

I feel sorry for Essex having their good name dragged through the mud.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:14 am

Yo u also have to look to the drugs issue here. Theres a balance, if you overkill the setnences and make it an automatic capital offence it does deter people from coming forward or admitting the truth when they are caught out.
This was a very isolated case wher ethere was strong eveidence, but remeber how hard it was to convict anyone in the Pakistan case even when there was video footage , eye witness accounts and a . Without someoen spilling the beans and confessing its very very hard to rpove.
Its monumentaly naive to think this hasnt happened across all kinds of sport. Its pretty much a given that much worse goes on all the time in certain parts of the world, its one thing to be proud of in Britain that its still not become cultutaly accpeted practise.

Spot fixing is also very differnet to the old style match fixing, this was a point it took a long time for many to get tehir heads around with teh Pakistan case. It doenst take a great leap to see why some people would look at it as a victimless crime ( or at least one where they arent selling out their teammates , just faceless gamblers who are frankly comeplete idiots anyway) and a lot more attractive than chucking a match. Its also a lot harder to spot.

It does need to be stamped out, and this has been taken very seriously for what in the grand scheme of things isnt an earth shattering crime in isolation. Its just not going to be easy to do.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:02 pm

Linebreaker wrote:I feel sorry for Essex having their good name dragged through the mud.

Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:44 pm

Much evidence that Mervyn came under a lot of pressure and implied threats if he did not comply.
Not condoning is action in anyway,but there are extenuating factors which when taken into account would indicate any prison term handed down should be suspended.
The judge will name the suspected prime mover to whom he has already reffered when sentencing, and he and his associates in The sub-continent must bear the most responsibility.

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm

TONY PALLADINO was named as the whistleblower.

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Sat 14 Jan 2012, 12:07 pm

Palladino was the grass,but Kaneria was who set up the deal.

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Jan 2012, 4:42 pm

i wouldnt call him a grass in these cases...he done right the thing and alerted the authorties...not a grass, good for doing it.

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Jan 2012, 5:04 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:TONY PALLADINO has been named as the player who grassed up Westfield.

CF - nothing wrong with doing so but you seem to have changed your view having slept on matters.

Steve James writing in yesterday's Telegraph agrees with your current thoughts. He pays tribute to ''the courage and conscience'' of Palladino.

Further comments after sentence and judge's comments next month.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum