The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pundits and players reaction to England squad

+3
funnyExiledScot
Biltong
beshocked
7 posters

Go down

Pundits and players reaction to England squad Empty Pundits and players reaction to England squad

Post by beshocked Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:22 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16519674.stm

First thing that leaps out at me - Jeremy Guscott not knowing that Marcus Watson is no longer at London Irish. He is at Saracens now. What a donut! Guscott hang your head in shame. Doh The rest of what he says make sense but his lack of knowledge yet again is glaring.

Have to agree with the optimism though. Nice to see very sporting comments from Cueto and Care.

Agree with Dawson's sentiments.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Pundits and players reaction to England squad Empty Re: Pundits and players reaction to England squad

Post by Biltong Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:26 am

I think the most important thing will be to stick to these players. It will be no use to bring back some oldies, if you are building a squad for 2015.

Let these boys build continuity, it is the most important goal for at least this year, irrespective of results. that will give them confidence.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Pundits and players reaction to England squad Empty Re: Pundits and players reaction to England squad

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 am

It annoys me that Guscott has that job and yet doesn't bother to watch any rugby or do any research.

Great player, rubbish pundit. The sooner the BBC get hold of Will Greenwood from Sky, the sooner I'll be happier paying my licence fee.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Indeed, some of Guscott's comments are utter horse Poopie; and why he can't put a bit more effort into the detail is beyond me. But no the BBC can't have Greenwood, otherwise we wouldn't get to see his fervent mania during the HEC and AI's! They should get Jason Robinson to do it.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:46 pm

no chance Greenwood has to stay with Sky - he is so chippy.

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:07 pm

biltongbek wrote:I think the most important thing will be to stick to these players. It will be no use to bring back some oldies, if you are building a squad for 2015.

Let these boys build continuity, it is the most important goal for at least this year, irrespective of results. that will give them confidence.

The problem with England though (and people more often say it is something that should be propelling them to the top rather than keeping them in the middle)...the problem for them is simply their playing numbers. It is huge by most country's standards. There is a constant stream of young players coming through schools and looking for club positions and then fighting it out to get to Premiership sides, and then having a tough time getting noticed for Saxons, and then hoping for the Senior International call. And once they are in, once they have the foot in the door, they have to be very consistent in form because already another young guy is showing promise further down the grid.

So, building continuity. It's a good idea. And certainly some of us in smaller Nations, with less players, know the benefits of picking and sticking with a select bunch overall. It's easier to do with a small bunch of players because 1. - there aren't really that many alternatives to pick from. 2. The national media understand that (VERY IMPORTANT to have an understanding media)

In England, building continuity is also a good idea. The coaches tend to like the idea because it always makes sense. But yes, you have to bed down the continuity aspect and that can mean a string of losing games. And that's the problem in England. The media are not willing to understand the theory of continuity when youngblood players from numerous clubs constantly put their hand up for inclusion. The media don't like to be humiliated or embarrased by bad results even though the theory behind it is sound. The pressure builds for change. The coach resists and resists - the calls get louder, the results still stay low, the calls change to getting rid of the stubborn coach. The stubborn coach walks and the cycle begins again.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:14 pm

What's the name of that Northern Irish commentator who does a lot of sky club games? Did the Harlequins wins against Munster and Stade last year I believe. He's fantastic. If the BBC could get him to do Six Nations commentary I'd be delighted.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down