The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open 2012 - Day 1

+7
LuvSports!
Ally Mills
Mad for Chelsea
Henman Bill
amritia3ee
carrieg4
Tenez
11 posters

Go down

Australian Open 2012 - Day 1  Empty Australian Open 2012 - Day 1

Post by Tenez Sun 15 Jan 2012 - 23:10

Please leave your comments...I am going to bed!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Australian Open 2012 - Day 1  Empty Re: Australian Open 2012 - Day 1

Post by carrieg4 Sun 15 Jan 2012 - 23:14

Short and to the point - my kind of article Very Happy

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun 15 Jan 2012 - 23:19

Must say Tenez, this has been your best article so far.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun 15 Jan 2012 - 23:19

Exciting days play today!
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 15 Jan 2012 - 23:24

amritia3ee wrote:Must say Tenez, this has been your best article so far.

Most innocent article of the week, and you still have to have a go!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Sun 15 Jan 2012 - 23:26

Henman Bill wrote:
amritia3ee wrote:Must say Tenez, this has been your best article so far.

Most innocent article of the week, and you still have to have a go!
lol I was only joking, let's not be so serious.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 0:05

Not sure if he is playing today will try to watch Hewitt this year. Potentially his last given all the injuries he has suffered. Hard to call v. Roddick in round 2 - I give Hewitt the edge but not sure why. Whoever wins likely to be stopped by Raonic. Hewitt has always been a great competitor though so will make it as tough as possible.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 0:16

anyone up? watching Watson vs Azarenka right now, Heather's just had a very comfortable first hold of serve, encouraging start.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 0:19

Mad for Chelsea wrote:anyone up? watching Watson vs Azarenka right now, Heather's just had a very comfortable first hold of serve, encouraging start.

thumbsup

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 0:23

excellent, company thumbsup

If you could combine Heather's movement with Laura's shotmaking we'd have a world-beater...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 0:24

Mad for Chelsea wrote:excellent, company thumbsup

If you could combine Heather's movement with Laura's shotmaking we'd have a world-beater...

Very true.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mills Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 0:27

Heather looks good but no special shots. If Azarenka improves I don't see Heather having anything that can match her.

Ally Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 0:27

Azarenka breaks. The sun in Heather's eyes there and it seems to be bothering her as she serves up a couple of DFs and gifts her serve away a bit too easily.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 0:36

and Azarenka gets the double break, she seems right into her stride now, Heather needs to find a way to change things around.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 0:51

Azarenka takes the first set 6-1, Watson competitive at times, but not nearly enough first serves, and she's just playig into Azarenka's rhythm of play at the moment, needs to change things up a bit you feel if she's to have a chance.

Somewhat surprisingly, Mannarino has taken the first set against Del Potro 6-2.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 1:08

going going nearly gone really for Heather, she just hasn't been able to get Azarenka out of comfort zone.

Del Potro roaring back in set 2, Ward scrambling to rescure the first set in his match, and Cipolla and Davydenko breaking each other's serves at will, the Italian winning the first set.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 2:21

4-4 1st set tomic verdasco, 1-1 and 5-5 with mannarino vs del potro, berdych at 6-5, almagro 2-1 up in sets against kubot, set a piece and 3-3 montanes vs riba, 2-1 davydenko and ward is two games away from a straight sets defeat
Sad
night!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 6:55

Considering Nadal's supposed to be fully fit, doesn't that seem to be a heavy strapping on his right knee ?
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 8:15

Nothing like the First Grand Slam of the year. Good old Eather went down 6-0 6-1 to Azarenka. I think she will be disappointed going out in that manner. James Ward went down in 3. I think I read he managed 48% First Serves. Not going to win the match let alone take it to 4 sets with stats like that. Credit though a 2nd Brit male made the first round of a Grand Slam without the reliance of wild cards of Wimbledon. Not much on the upset side of things at the moment. Monaco and Kohlschrieber going into a 5th.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 8:18

Saw that Tomic defeated Verdassco in 5. Wonder if S_A regards that as a 'choke' elsewhere Dr Ivo put out 31st seed Melzer in 3. Davydenko crashed out to Cipolla. Fish, Berdych, Almagro and Del Potro all through.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 8:22

On the womens side Pennetta the 19th seed was put out in 3 by Bratchikova. There is enough to keep those early round upset fans interested. Quite intrigued to see that Tomic beating Verdassco is being 'sensationalised' as a big upset, despite many posters on this website actually forecasting a Tomic victory.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 8:25

Wickmayer in trouble. Set and a break down against Voskoboeva. Baltacha in the brown stuff in her first round encounter, one game away from going out. Watson up against it against Jankovic.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 8:26

Old Ljuby looking like another 5 set casualty. 2 sets up against Lacko and now we are in the 5th. Nadal going through untroubled.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 8:36

Reading through some of the predictions from the BBC 'pundits'

Murray seems to be their favourite. So much emphasis on the Lendl effect. None of them plumping for Nadal. Raonic is heavily tipped as an outsider. Overend very much impartial to British success. Very blinded.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 8:57

legendkillar wrote:Reading through some of the predictions from the BBC 'pundits'

Murray seems to be their favourite. So much emphasis on the Lendl effect. None of them plumping for Nadal. Raonic is heavily tipped as an outsider. Overend very much impartial to British success. Very blinded.

Even by the standards of the BBC, that was a pretty shabby article.

Jonathan Overend: "Expect Lendl to make an instant impact"

Jeremy Bates: "the x-factor that is Ivan Lendl, which has just added that five per cent of focus to his game, makes Murray my pick"

Yet Andy Murray himself said in an interview this week: "I'm not going to get the benefits from having Ivan this week, I'm going to see it in six months, 12 months' time, you know, when all the things we work on start falling into place.”

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 9:08

HM Murdoch wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Reading through some of the predictions from the BBC 'pundits'

Jeremy Bates: "the x-factor that is Ivan Lendl, which has just added that five per cent of focus to his game, makes Murray my pick"

Yet Andy Murray himself said in an interview this week: "I'm not going to get the benefits from having Ivan this week, I'm going to see it in six months, 12 months' time, you know, when all the things we work on start falling into place.”

Andy's not going to be putting himself under pressure by admitting he might get some benefit, is he? He's many things but not daft!! I actually think if the made the final, Lendl could make that crucial difference - simply because Murray now has a constant in his team who went through even more troughs than him. Remember, last years opening few games of last years final was a nervy affair from both - as is always the case with two friends playing and has been with Nole/Andy, whoever gets the initial upper hand wins - Andy was mm's (literally) from doing that and contrary to what a lot of people say is that distance from his first Slam. I think it will either be a disaster (out in the last 16) or a win

And if the Beeb crew are writing off Nadal, they are correct to do so based on his form since the US Open. I fail to understand what else anyone would expect, to constantly back a player not playing well would be poor journalism

The Beeb often get things wrong and I cannot stand their Wimby coverage - but they seem on the money here, from what I've just read

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 9:11

banbrotam wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Andy's not going to be putting himself under pressure by admitting he might get some benefit, is he? He's many things but not daft!! I actually think if the made the final, Lendl could make that crucial difference - simply because Murray now has a constant in his team who went through even more troughs than him. Remember, last years opening few games of last years final was a nervy affair from both - as is always the case with two friends playing and has been with Nole/Andy, whoever gets the initial upper hand wins - Andy was mm's (literally) from doing that and contrary to what a lot of people say is that distance from his first Slam. I think it will either be a disaster (out in the last 16) or a win

And if the Beeb crew are writing off Nadal, they are correct to do so based on his form since the US Open. I fail to understand what else anyone would expect, to constantly back a player not playing well would be poor journalism

The Beeb often get things wrong and I cannot stand their Wimby coverage - but they seem on the money here, from what I've just read

Not backing a past champion and 10 time Slam winner is not poor journalism? I think it is poor for anyone not to consider him!!!

On the money? Because they back Murray based on Lendl and not previous form?

It is poor all round!

I fail to see anyone who actually thinks it is good.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 9:21

Well they have not made the AO any quicker.

It could be a great slam but unfortuantely the game looks heavy on it....despite the great play of this Russian....and Federer.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 9:25

legendkillar wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Not backing a past champion and 10 time Slam winner is not poor journalism? I think it is poor for anyone not to consider him!!!

It is poor all round!

LK. I've not seen the full text of the review, so maybe put in the context you're correct. If they are saying Nadal has no chance, then that's a bit silly. If they are saying that Nadal is a slight 4th or even 5th favourite (behind Tsonga) then that's reasonable

Personally, I think if you beat Rafa (and I said it the other day) you've a pretty good chance of winning!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 9:31

banbrotam wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

It is poor all round!

LK. I've not seen the full text of the review, so maybe put in the context you're correct. If they are saying Nadal has no chance, then that's a bit silly. If they are saying that Nadal is a slight 4th or even 5th favourite (behind Tsonga) then that's reasonable

Personally, I think if you beat Rafa (and I said it the other day) you've a pretty good chance of winning!!

Agreed.

I still think that Nadal should've skipped the AO if he plans on resting in February.

I do think Murray has a good chance. The Lendl factor however would not the be the sole reason why I think his chances have increased. I would say more on the back of his form of 2011 and also the draw as it widens out might favour his chances too.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 10:49

Some nice shots from Federer and his opponent but I am still a bit concerned about his back, especially towards the end.

He was lacking rhythm too but that is down to the pace played by his opponent and first round.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 11:32

Tenez wrote:Some nice shots from Federer and his opponent but I am still a bit concerned about his back, especially towards the end.

He was lacking rhythm too but that is down to the pace played by his opponent and first round.

R1 Tenez. Always difficult to deduce how 'in form' a player is

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 11:43

. Everything fine, moving okay, twingefree?

ROGER FEDERER: Twinge means pain?

Q. Yes. Everything good?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. I mean, I expected otherwise honestly I would've been worried and I would have mentioned something. I'm not keeping secrets about that stuff.

But I've been feeling fine for three, four days now. Been able to practice full out. Today was fine. It was just tough against a guy who hits big and flat from both sides and takes a lot of chances.

In some ways, for the first match, it was a bit more how do you say intense, where I felt a lot of pressure. Because in Abu Dhabi they were exhibitions, and then in Doha, the first match with Davydenko was somewhat straightforward.

Then after that I got injured. So everything was a bit on a relaxeder [sic] mode maybe, or then trying to come through with injury or the matches were too easy, you know.

Here I really tried to put in an effort to every point play as hard as I could first to see how the back felt, try to get into it, hopefully win, and then see how I feel tomorrow.

I'll get a lot more information tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

Not looking too good for Fed!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 16 Jan 2012 - 12:22

Nadal apparently had an MRI on his knee yesterday because he hurt while sitting down. Is there anything this guy doesn't get injured doing?? Laugh

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down