The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
johnson2
oxring
Rowley
The Sweet Science UK
Fists of Fury
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Valero's Conscience
The genius of PBF
davidemore
13 posters

Go down

...................... Empty ......................

Post by davidemore Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:03 am

Last edited by davidemore on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

davidemore

Back to top Go down

...................... Empty Re: ......................

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:07 am

He gave up after the 4th round against Pacquiao...Hardly the sign of a true warrior "giving his all".

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:08 am

Froch is just as admirable, and probably more i.e. after loosing to Marg he took an easy fight in Jennings whereas Froch takes no easy rides.

I'm a huge Cotto fan but I would say Froch fits the above description better.

As a person, Coto is definitely one of the most humble, win or lose.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:12 am

Froch doesn't fit the bill he said highly skilled!

Juan Manuel Marquez deserves a mention. Always looking to fight the best available to him. Technically as good as almost anyone around and very entertaining. A very tough man as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:15 am

Genius, cut the rubbish, he didn't 'give up', and it is highly disrespectful to say so.

He was outclassed and outfought, yes, and did go in to his shell a little, as anyone with an ounce of intelligence would do when under consistent fire, but to give up is to quit, something which he certainly didn't do.

Quite surprised by you...you don't usually try to disparage Pacquiao's best wins...oh...wait...

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:17 am

Cotto took his beating from Pac like a man. Never moaned, never quit and never made excuses. Pac was ferocious that night. The Cotto win is one of Pacquiaos best performances imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:22 am

Yeah it was a tremendous performance, and an exhibition of how a fighter with such attributes and such a style should use it to its absolute maximum effect.

He certainly hasn't looked as dynamic since which is a shame, as that version of Pacquiao was a joy to watch in entertainment terms. Maybe not one for the purists, though!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:27 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Genius, cut the rubbish, he didn't 'give up', and it is highly disrespectful to say so.

He was outclassed and outfought, yes, and did go in to his shell a little, as anyone with an ounce of intelligence would do when under consistent fire, but to give up is to quit, something which he certainly didn't do.

Quite surprised by you...you don't usually try to disparage Pacquiao's best wins...oh...wait...

Sorry I forgot your very sensitive when it comes to Pacquiao...Look relieved to me when the ref stepped in.

He certainly gave up trying to win...There are better candidates out there then Cotto...Wonder how you and oxy are going to defend Cotto vs Pacquiao 2 after a clear duck of Mayweather. Wink

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:29 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Yeah it was a tremendous performance, and an exhibition of how a fighter with such attributes and such a style should use it to its absolute maximum effect.

He certainly hasn't looked as dynamic since which is a shame, as that version of Pacquiao was a joy to watch in entertainment terms. Maybe not one for the purists, though!

He hasn't looked as good because he hasn't faced one dimensional fighters like Cotto and Margarito since 2010...Nazim Richardson even said Mosley followed the Marquez blueprint.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:32 am

I'd say Juan Manuel Marquez is the greatest active boxer today but that's down to personal preference. Never ducks or dodges, brilliant counter puncher, fantastic boxing I.Q. and a massive heart. A true warrior.

Froch also deserves a mention too but isn't as skilled as Cotto or Marquez.

I do like Cotto though. The way he handles himself; he is a true credit to the sport.

He's very skillful and is one of the most accurate boxers in boxing today. I'm not sure I'd like to see him fight Pacquaio again though just because I think he'd have to come down to a weight that isn't suited to him again.

I'd like to see him fight Saul Alvarez next but I can't see GB risking their future cash cow against Cotto. Him against Cotto on Cinco De Mayo would be fantastic.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:33 am

Cotto is not one dimensional, you clearly have zero idea what you're talking about. Your boy Mayweather didn't fancy him much a few years back, did he?

I'm not sensitive when it comes to Pacquiao, I have no allegiance to him, however I am sensitive to the endless crap you spout.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:34 am

The genius of PBF wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Yeah it was a tremendous performance, and an exhibition of how a fighter with such attributes and such a style should use it to its absolute maximum effect.

He hasn't looked as good because he hasn't faced one dimensional fighters like Cotto and Margarito since 2010...Nazim Richardson even said Mosley followed the Marquez blueprint.

Cotto isn't one dimensional. Mosley never followed the Marquez blueprint. Marquez makes Pac fall short with his shots and counters him. Mosley did nothing but try and survive.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:41 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Cotto is not one dimensional, you clearly have zero idea what you're talking about. Your boy Mayweather didn't fancy him much a few years back, did he?

I'm not sensitive when it comes to Pacquiao, I have no allegiance to him, however I am sensitive to the endless crap you spout.

Fights the same way over and over again not denying Cotto is a great fighter because he is...Floyd Mayweather did want the fight...one word why it didn't happen...Arum!

Same reason why Gamboa-Lopez did not happen...You never hear Cotto come out and say Mayweather ducked him...Hey I dont believe Bob Arum bs.

As for me having no idea what Im talking about and your last sentence the feeling is mutual. thumbsup

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:43 am

SugarRayRussell (PBK) wrote:
The genius of PBF wrote:

Cotto isn't one dimensional. Mosley never followed the Marquez blueprint. Marquez makes Pac fall short with his shots and counters him. Mosley did nothing but try and survive.

Mosley followed the foot movement like Marquez did thus throwing Pacquiao off balance but did not counter as he couldn't pull the trigger anymore.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:43 am

The genius of PBF wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Cotto is not one dimensional, you clearly have zero idea what you're talking about. Your boy Mayweather didn't fancy him much a few years back, did he?

Fights the same way over and over again not denying Cotto is a great fighter because he is...Floyd Mayweather did want the fight...one word why it didn't happen...Arum!

Same reason why Gamboa-Lopez did not happen...You never hear Cotto come out and say Mayweather ducked him...Hey I dont believe Bob Arum bs.

As for me having no idea what Im talking about and your last sentence the feeling is mutual. thumbsup

Gamboa Lopez hasn't happened yet because Arum tried to milk it for as much as he could get and overlooked a good fighter in Salido and Lopez has had personal problems so not the same reasons Cotto vs Floyd never happened.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:47 am

Only difference was Floyd Mayweather left top rank...Think Arum wants Pacquiao vs Cotto 2 to keep him in the company and tie him down.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 16 Jan 2012, 11:18 am

Last edited by davidemore on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 16 Jan 2012, 11:38 am

The last dangerous fight Cotto had who wasn't with Top Rank was Mosley and thta was over 4 years ago. I think your over hyping him a bit.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

I despair sometimes when discussing boxing. People always seem to be at one extreme or the other, and it ruins the potential for many a fine debate.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 16 Jan 2012, 11:48 am

No doubt the Mosley, Pacquiao, Clottey and both Margarito fights were tough fights. In amongst them there are Gomez, Jennings, Foreman and Mayorga which aren't anywhere near as tough.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 16 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

davidemore wrote:The greatest active boxer today.

He will do it a fair weights putting titles on the line. He ALWAYS stepped up a level when the time came and ducks no man.

Daft as it sounds the same could be said of Wlad over the last few years when a fighter emerges as either a perceived or real threat such as Haye he deals with them, normally clearly. Should not be denied praise just because his division is devoid of talent.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 16 Jan 2012, 12:08 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I despair sometimes when discussing boxing. People always seem to be at one extreme or the other, and it ruins the potential for many a fine debate.

Why surely you jest Fists. Surely we can expect nothing but impartiality from a man who has, in the past, got his kicks pretending to be Floyd Mayweather.

You dare suggest that both Pacquiao and Floyd share some blame for this fight not occurring?! Fists, you must be a pactard. There can be no other solution.

Worse - you dare imply that Cotto is a brave and honourable fighter? Shame on you. The guy that was whacked around the face for 11 rounds by a guy with rocks on the end of his arms {possibly}? - he is clearly a coward. That's why he's currently fighting at 154 pounds, well over his natural and best weight. Obviously a lack of cajones.

I don't really get why boxing fans have to take such an extreme stance on things - it seems strange to me. Why not just like boxing?

Cotto is one of the best fighters to watch around today. He can punch, he can box. He comes into the ring in shape and he always entertains. I struggle to think of a dull fight involving Miguel.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 16 Jan 2012, 12:14 pm

Good point Rowley, Vitali fights who comes through every single time. Regardless of talent (often lacking talent) he takes the fight.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Mon 16 Jan 2012, 12:58 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I despair sometimes when discussing boxing. People always seem to be at one extreme or the other, and it ruins the potential for many a fine debate.

But he did stop trying to win. Got clobbered a couple of times and thought to himself 'may as well try and see the fight out'. The tactics he was using would never win him the fight.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 16 Jan 2012, 1:24 pm

Join the other debate David, where Cotto is apparently a complete coward.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 16 Jan 2012, 1:27 pm

How can someone say that about him? The man got in the ring with Cheatarito after he almost killed his ass with loaded gloves. He fought a prime Pac, a debatable prime Shane.

The man fought Mayorga the elbow swinging nutter because he wanted to give his fans a show. How can anyone call him a coward is beyond me, and i question if they know anything about boxing...

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 16 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm

Am going to be Mr sit on the fence liberal here but there is no evidence beyond the assumptive that Margarito had loaded gloves against Cotto. Innocent till proven guilty and all that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 16 Jan 2012, 1:46 pm

Rowley, come on now! You know that it was more than just a sniff of self doubt, don't be that guy Rowley. Cheatarito should never box again!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 16 Jan 2012, 1:50 pm

Agree he should never box again, the discovery against Mosley should have earned him a life ban but it does not change the fact he was not found to have loaded gloves against Cotto, I have as many doubts as anyone but am still going to have to be that guy Davide

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 16 Jan 2012, 1:51 pm

Respectively so Rowley. Cotto is the man though right? So good to have him in the sport.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 16 Jan 2012, 2:07 pm

I have a lot of respect and time for Cotto. Took his defeats well (given the dubious circumstances of the first Maragrito fight) and came back a stronger fighter. Would have LOVED to have seen him against Hatton when both were unbeaten at 140lbs - that would have been a hell of a fight.

Froch is also someone who never ducks anyone and has half decent skills.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 16 Jan 2012, 5:16 pm

i used to rate Cotto very highly, but i dont think he has much fight in him anymore. he used to have such confidence and be ready to look for his opponent but since the margarito fight he is a shell of the same guy in the ring.

funny how marg was a disgraceful opponent for pac yet we are supposed to believe cotto boxing well behind a hit and run job on margarito now makes makes him a pound for pound contender again.

he did quit against marg and he did quit against pac as far as im concerned. he used to bully his opponents, but like all bullies once hes been stood up to and caught out hes loses that swagger he once had and becomes much more vulnerable.

the guy seems a level headed and kind family man, and theres plenty to admire, but hes nowhere near the force in the ring he once was.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 16 Jan 2012, 7:09 pm

Brilliant as Cotto WAS, he's not that man any more, may have more skill than Froch but doesn't come close to his warrior like commitment to fighting the best, been too many soft fights since Margarito but what he's done overall deserves a lot of respect.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum