The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice.

3 posters

Go down

Advice. Empty Advice.

Post by hampo17 Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:11 pm

I use the machines instead of free weights when I go to the gym at night. The reason for this is that the free weights are always taken up by spotty teenagers thinking they are Mr Olympia and I can't be bothered with them.

When I go on a Friday and a Sunday morning that's when I tend to do my free weights as their isn't anyone near them, I tend to do my heavier sets then as well, mixing it in with 30/45 minutes on the punch bag and shadow boxing.

So my question is, do you get more benefits out of free weights? Should I be doing these more often?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Advice. Empty Re: Advice.

Post by johnson2 Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:23 pm

Free weights I think are better.

Machines follow a very strict movement, so if you are working some specific then they do serve a purpose. Or recovering from injury...

With free weights you use more muscles as you have to stabalise the weight as well as the lift. They are also less harsh on the joints.

I never use machines.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 17 Jan 2012, 5:03 pm

johnson2 wrote:

Machines follow a very strict movement

With free weights you use more muscles as you have to stabalise the weight as well as the lift.

Those are the two main points, definitely. Machines also tend to shift the weight with both arms working in unison, so you're more likely to overwork the stronger side of your body. Free weights help balance this out.

I rarely use machines since I don't think they are a good substitute, but if I ever do find myself using them, it's only for a final burnout set at the end of a workout.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down