The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath vs Glasgow Warriors - game 6, pool 3, Heino

+7
bathmad
Bathman_in_London
Bathite
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
Glas a du
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
11 posters

Go down

Bath vs Glasgow Warriors - game 6, pool 3, Heino Empty Bath vs Glasgow Warriors - game 6, pool 3, Heino

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:52 am

Glasgow Warriors team:

15 Rory Lamont
14 Tommy Seymour
13 Stuart Hogg
12 Graeme Morrison
11 Colin Shaw
10 Duncan Weir
9 Chris Cusiter

1 Jon Welsh
2 Pat MacArthur
3 Ed Kalman
4 Richie Gray
5 Alastair Kellock (Captain)
6 Robert Harley
7 Chris Fusaro
8 John Barclay

Substitutes

16 Dougie Hall
17 Gordon Reid
18 Ryan Grant
19 Tom Ryder
20 Henry Pyrgos
21 Ryan Wilson
22 Peter Murchie
23 Scott Wight

Not considered for selection due to injury: Federico Aramburu (shoulder), Johnnie Beattie (elbow), Michael Cusack (ankle), Ruaridh Jackson (upper leg), Moray Low (knee), Troy Nathan (back), DTH van der Merwe (shoulder).

Same as last time then, with 3 enforced changes on the bench. Shame that Nathan is out injured, but I can't believe that Lineen is persisting with Hogg at OC - the lad has spent half a season showing that he is the answer for Scotland as successor to Mossy at fullback, so why bugger him around at 13? If this is all about gettnig Ramont gametime before the 6Ns, then that selection is wrong for me too. Balance of the backrow remains all wrong too, Barclay is simply not an 8, and there is no ball carrier, so we'll be relying on the front 5 for that again.

The Warriors lost narrowly on both their previous Heineken Cup visits to the Rec, 35-31 in season 2008/9 and 31-26 in 2005/6. They did, however, win the first of this season’s meetings between the teams, 26-21 at Firhill last November.

Braveheart

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Thu 19 Jan 2012, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Bath vs Glasgow Warriors - game 6, pool 3, Heino Empty Re: Bath vs Glasgow Warriors - game 6, pool 3, Heino

Post by Glas a du Thu 19 Jan 2012, 11:01 am

I think Glasgow could do this. A terrible pitch will be no hardship for them will it?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Bath vs Glasgow Warriors - game 6, pool 3, Heino Empty Re: Bath vs Glasgow Warriors - game 6, pool 3, Heino

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 Jan 2012, 11:31 am

Barclay at 8 is a big mistake for exactly the reasons set out by ASBO. The back row is completely unbalanced and it's asking a lot of Rob Harley to step up as the go to ball carrier. If Lineen really wants Fusaro at 7 then he should drop Barclay and put Wilson at 8 (as Beattie is injured).

Barclay against Simon Taylor is a total mismatch.

Otherwise the selection is as expected, same again. I would similarly not have put Hogg at 13, don't think it's working well with him there, but without Nathan I guess the next option is Murchie, who doesn't convince me. Could Shaw or Seymour play at 13? It's a tricky one. Looks like Lineen is just trying to get his best players onto the pitch, so unlike Barclay at 8, I can understand what he's doing here.

I'd very much like Glasgow to finish 2nd in the group. I know that qualification has gone, but it would be an achievement nonetheless, and no shame in losing out to Leinster, especially given the hard time Leinster had in Glasgow.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:15 pm

It's been said by my erstwhile colleagues already:

1. Hogg at 13 is a waste when the real problem in terms of creativity is at 12. Hogg is only starting his education at 15 and Scotland needs him there. Against good opposition, he has confirmed what we already know - he has masses of potential but does not resemble the finished product.

2. I was hoping that Barclay at 8 might just have been a Lineen brainfart rather than something approaching a terrible 'strategy'. He has neither the bulk to make the carries nor the feel as to when to pick and go from the base. Taylor is a wily old fox and will give him a terrible time. More weird than the average Republican presidential candidate.

Glasgow should win this, especially if the field is a quagmire because Weir will pepper the touchlines and Gray and Kellock are in tremendous form. No opposition lineout ball is safe.

Come on guys. A disappointing Heineken Cup campaign but it is a fitting stick with which to beat a Glasgow team which has been tighter than a drum but without that razzle dazzle that would have turned some of the draws into wins.

And to be fair, there are only possibly four teams in the competition who could have lived with Leinster on this kind of form.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 Jan 2012, 10:47 am

I wouldn't call this a disappointing HC campaign for Glasgow at all - especially not if Glasgow win away at the Rec.

Finishing second in that group would be a great step forward, and it's been a good experience for the younger players at Glasgow actually winning HC matches.

I expected Glasgow to bomb this season. Lineen has done a great job.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 20 Jan 2012, 10:57 am

Wow, if this is a bad campaign, imagine what you would have said if that ball hadn't bounced up for Richie Gray in the 82nd minute! Been impressed by Glasgow, credit where credit due.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

Bath team:

15. Jack Cuthbert

14. Matt Carraro

13. Olly Barkley

12. Matt Banahan

11. Tom Biggs

10. Stephen Donald

9. Chris Cook

1. Charlie Beech

2. Pieter Dixon

3. David Wilson

4. Dave Attwood

5. Ryan Caldwell

6. Andy Beattie ( c )

7. Guy Mercer

8. Ben Skirving

Replacements

16. Lee Mears

17. David Flatman

18. Anthony Perenise

19. Francois Louw

20. Simon Taylor

21. Michael Claassens

22. Tom Heathcote

23. Sam Vesty

As might be expected for a game like this, not at full strength but there should be a few players in there who want to put down a marker. Will be interesting to see how Cook goes at scrum half.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 20 Jan 2012, 1:45 pm

The policy of selecting the 12 and 13 shirts out of a hat continues I see! Lets hope to god Caldwell doesn't get injured, playing so many minutes and in an attritional style. When Attwood trains with the EPS, we only have 2 senior locks in our squad! Eek.

Bring back Danny G!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:17 pm

When you look at that Bath team and consider home advantage you have to conclude that Bath are favourites, regardless of the group. Glasgow got away with it in Firhill in the closing stages and that's a very decent looking Bath side.

I'll be looking out for Jack Cuthbert at 15. Seemed to be a rising star for Scotland last season but each time I've seen him play this season (not much) he looks a bit of an oaf.

There won't be much in the way of skill coming from the Morrison vs Banahan match up as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:46 pm

Exile, thats one of the weaker teams that we could have put out to be honest, rested our 2 best backs, Classens and Abendanon. Its the second choice front row from us and our best player of the year and captain is also on the bench. Thats probably also our 2nd choice back row.

There are only 7 players in the 15 that would start in a full strength side.

Don't see the fuss about Cuthbert to be honest, can't believe he got so close to the Scotland side when he wasn't anywhere near our first team!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:53 pm

I realise that - I still think Glasgow will struggle though. Players like Donald, Barkley and Biggs are very good players indeed, and Banahan at club level can be a very handy centre if used properly. I know why you say its your second choice backrow, but I prefer Bath with Beattie at 6 and I think Skirving is often underused. Taylor to me still looks a shadow of the player he used to be.

Agreed on Cuthbert - looks a blunt instrument. When put into space and given the chance to stretch his legs he looks decent, but he doesn't run great lines and isn't a good footballer.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 20 Jan 2012, 3:01 pm

blunt instrument

Ooh awch! laughing
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 20 Jan 2012, 3:02 pm

Beattie only played that last 3 games because of injury, but has played very well, contract up at the end of the season, been a great servant, but too much youth coming through.

Taylor isn't great this year at all, lacks the power or pace at 8. Think moving him to lock again would be good, especially regarding hwo short of second rowers we are. Skirving is another v.good player, had a cracking end to last season, but then picked up an injury.

However, back row still missing Louw, Moody and Fearns

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

I'd still hang on to Beattie. Brings a bit of dog - particularly handy at this time of year. I can see Taylor becoming an impact sub option at lock, allowing Attwood and Caldwell to be first choice.

6.Skirving 7.Louw 8.Fearns

I'd be surprised if you see much of Moody. His body is held together with tape. Not a smart signing at all in my view.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri 20 Jan 2012, 3:17 pm

Not a good bath side - centres are wrong way around, Cuthbert's rubbish, Cararo out of position, Claassens missing, 2nd choice back row (except for Mercer).
Was thinking that Bath have been improving in recent weeks playing some decent rugby, but expect them to lose now.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 20 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

"I'd still hang on to Beattie. Brings a bit of dog - particularly handy at this time of year. I can see Taylor becoming an impact sub option at lock, allowing Attwood and Caldwell to be first choice."

Yeah, maybe not a bad idea, wouldn't be upset if that happens. He certainly has a lot of heart as well, which gets the crowd and players going.

6.Skirving 7.Louw 8.Fearns

I'd be surprised if you see much of Moody. His body is held together with tape. Not a smart signing at all in my view"

Think Moody will prove to be a great signing all in all. Think what he brings to the team and squad and youngsters. Great attitude, great experience. Also helped raise the profile of the club. Signing the current england captain is a great statement of intent, certainly helps when looking for overseas signings.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

Hmmm, I remain unconvinced I'm afraid. You'll be paying him quite a bit, and he very rarely strings two games together these days. If you want an ambassador just ask Guscott or Barnes to pop round. If you want a top quality flanker to actually perform on the field then I think you'll be short changed.

I would love to be proved wrong. Always been a fan of Moody and the way he plays.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 20 Jan 2012, 4:04 pm

"If you want an ambassador just ask Guscott or Barnes to pop round."

Mate, unfortunately you couldn't be more wrong! Two of the biggest t*ssers to have graced the Rec. Great players, but s hit pundits. You won't find many Bath fans who disagree!

Take your points on Moody, just looking at the positives. Even if he does help with the off the pitch stuff, 250k a year of the cap is a lot for a player/coach!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 Jan 2012, 5:07 pm

I'm pleased that's the general consensus of Guscott. Grade A plonker.

Barnes on the other hand I have more time for. Don't always agree with him, but he always has a considered opinion and is pretty articulate.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 20 Jan 2012, 6:41 pm

What pi sses me off about Barnes is how he over hypes players so quickly. A player plays well for 4 phases and becomes world class! I have heard Ben Spencer, Billy Twelvetrees, JOnny May all be called world class in the last few weeks for him. They barely have any club experience, never mind HC, int or the world scene. Such a t it

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Fri 20 Jan 2012, 10:56 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote: There won't be much in the way of skill coming from the Morrison vs Banahan match up as well.

It is going to be dross. Depressingly, up until Lancaster, this was a potential match up in any given Calcutta Cup laughing

I was born in Glasgow and studied in Bath so I support both these teams (& Edinburgh) - love that they meet so often in the HC! I would say it's a shame I couldn't be there for this one, but given reading the team sheets every week is like reading the progression of a game of musical chairs, I think I'm okay. Barclay at 8? Barkley at 13, okay, but you've put Banahan at 12 instead?! Where's the facepalm smiley ...

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 20 Jan 2012, 11:45 pm

Banahan has played there laods mate

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Sat 21 Jan 2012, 11:57 am

Bath have all the cash and half the squad IMHO. We lack strength in so many positions it'll be at least two seasons before we see any genuine competition for pots of any meaning.

Flats, Dixie, Belly, Beastie, Moodos, Tayls, Olly all past their best. Perenise, Hoops, Skirvs, MMM, are good but not outstanding.

My ruthless broom would thank the first lot very much indeed and not seek to renew their contracts, sadly. I'd then look to bring in Jenkins, Brits, Kennedy, Ben Morgan, and, the one thing we seriously lack, a top notch 12. Frans Steyn would be my choice.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sat 21 Jan 2012, 1:35 pm

How can you judge Perenise on about 8 games? He'll come good. MMM is 3rd choice, Cook looks a great prospect. Skirving had a blinding second half to the season, been injured since, so harsh on him as well. Think Beastie has added loads in the last couple of weeks, past his best yes, but his heart, doggedness and fire has galvanised the team in recent weeks.

Hopefully the shopping list is (with reasonable targets):
LH - Jenkins
HK - Britz
LK - Kennedy, Skivington
12 - Allen, Twelvetrees

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sat 21 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

BIGGSY! Try time

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollbeck Ghyll Sat 21 Jan 2012, 1:45 pm

Is this on tv anywhere?

Hollbeck Ghyll

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 22 Jan 2012, 8:15 pm

I haven't seen the game or any highlights - how did it go (obviously I know the result)?

I know it's meaningless in terms of qualification, but I think Glasgow can be quite proud of finishing second in the group, ahead of Bath and Montpellier. They would have been tipped to finish bottom at the start of all this, and with considerably less resources than Bath and Montpellier, to better both sides overall is a marked improvement on previous seasons.

Now Glasgow, Rabo playoffs beckon - that's the target now.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:34 pm

According to the Rugby Paper, fES, Glasgow had plenty of possession in the second half but Bath held on manfully to win - time to refocus all efforts no the league now, great chance of getting a playoff spot OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm

Glasgow dominated the first ten minutes and the 3rd quarter of the match, but where terribly quiet and disappointing outside of these periods. Especially seeming as they had quite a lot to play for.

Bath didn't play well, just went through the gears, but had too much power up front, especially at scrum time. You improved when Hall came on. We had some beautiful driving mauls, one of which resulted in a try for Skirving.

Gray and the 6 (ginger, Harley I think) were the stand outs for you I would say. Lots of silly mistakes from both teams though.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:02 am

Bathite wrote:Especially seeming as they had quite a lot to play for.

You improved when Hall came on.

Gray and the 6 (ginger, Harley I think) were the stand outs for you I would say.

Don't think Glasgow had anything to play for. Had no chance of HC or Amlin qualification even before the match.

Never thought I'd see the phrase "you improved when Hall came on". Remarkable. He's totally useless.

Gray seems to play well every game, he's extremely consistent. Similarly Harley. He has aspects to work on his game, but his tackling and workrate is top drawer each and every game.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:09 am

Well all of the commentators seemed to think you had a chance for the Amlin as one of the best placed runners up and hence why a strong team was named.

Can't believe the powers that be have let Gray go. Just when it seemed that Irish and Scots clubs were trying to get all the exiles back.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:25 am

They didn't have a choice. They offered him a big contract, but apparently he wanted a change of scene, and moved to Sale for what turned out to be less money.

Agreed, it's a big blow, and I was personally surprised to see that he chose Sale. I think he's already one of the top locks in the game, and would have thought he could pretty much have his pick. Obviously the group of Scotland players at Sale convinced him. I'd have like to see him go to a side playing HC rugby.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 25 Jan 2012, 7:31 pm

Aye the Big Chap will be a loss but Tom Ryder is a hell of a good replacement plus the Dutch fella, Ver****, looks good if a bit raw ! Cool
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down