The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales prop Adam Jones reveals desire to remain at Ospreys

+6
maestegmafia
Smirnoffpriest
Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
Welshmushroom
Red Right
welshman4life
10 posters

Go down

Wales prop Adam Jones reveals desire to remain at Ospreys Empty Wales prop Adam Jones reveals desire to remain at Ospreys

Post by welshman4life Fri 20 Jan 2012, 11:09 am

Wales prop Adam Jones has expressed his desire to remain at Ospreys if they offer him a four-year contract.

The British and Irish Lions tight-head prop has been linked with a big-money move to France when his deal expires at the end of the season.

He has been at Ospreys since their formation in 2003, when regional rugby was introduced in Wales.

"If I could get a four-year deal on the table I would snap their hand off," said the 30-year-old.

"That would take me to the next World Cup.

"I am an Ospreys boy. I enjoy life here and the future at the region is bright with the young kids coming through."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16646018.stm

welshman4life

Back to top Go down

Wales prop Adam Jones reveals desire to remain at Ospreys Empty Re: Wales prop Adam Jones reveals desire to remain at Ospreys

Post by Red Right Fri 20 Jan 2012, 11:29 am

I think the Osprey's supporters should have a whip around so that there is enough money to make up some of the difference between what O's can offer and what the French are offerring.

I'm actually not joking, Jones is one of the best tight-heads in the game and good tight heads are hard to come by at the best of times. Given that tight head is such a technical position it would be worth an awful lot to keep him in Wales to pass on his knowledge to the young props coming through.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Wales prop Adam Jones reveals desire to remain at Ospreys Empty Re: Wales prop Adam Jones reveals desire to remain at Ospreys

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 20 Jan 2012, 11:39 am

Yep I agree with you Red. I think at the moment he is the most important Welsh Player around.

The issue now though is if you sign a 4 year contract will his form and fitness continue throughtout the 4 year deal. I doubt it.

There is no doubt for the next 2 seasons he will be outstanding but around 33/34 Props tend to fall off quite badly so he may not be worth the same salary at that point.

Maybe a 2 Year Contract with a option for 2 years would be good?

Its clear that the money wont be only factor here. Families will be daunted by the language barrier and the new surroundings without family ties in France.

I believe this is why Gethin's second choice at the moment is Bath over France. It's not always about Cash. Wouldn't be suprised though if Gethin resigns for the Blues.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jan 2012, 11:40 am

Fair play to him for coming out and expressing his desire to stay. Doesn't half put the pressure on the O's though to do their best to get him a 4yr contract though! Got to say that's a hell of a lot to ask for at 30, when he is becoming more injury prone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

This sounds like a bit of an ultimatum. A four-year contract or I'm off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolfs_Cartoon_Club Fri 20 Jan 2012, 11:37 pm

It used to be said a prop never really matures till around 33 years old. I'm sure that'd still be the case if they weren't flogged at such an early age and are now expected to run with the ball as well as compress eachother's spinal columns into a slinky!

Four years seems like a gamble for the O's, IMHO, but I think he'll be granted his wish as tightheads like him don't grow on trees.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 21 Jan 2012, 12:03 am

Really clever from A Jones - makes the fans love him coz he's saying he wants to stay, puts all the pressure on the Ospreys and if they cave in he gets a guarenteed contract for 4 years and has security and doesn't have to move, and if not then he gets a bumper pay deal in France

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 21 Jan 2012, 12:56 am

Good lad, lets hope they can work it out.

He seems very keen to have a lengthy contract over a short but well paid one. Sensible decision. Hopefully inspire a few others to do similar.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Sat 21 Jan 2012, 1:13 am

Welshmushroom wrote:Yep I agree with you Red. I think at the moment he is the most important Welsh Player around.

The issue now though is if you sign a 4 year contract will his form and fitness continue throughtout the 4 year deal. I doubt it.

There is no doubt for the next 2 seasons he will be outstanding but around 33/34 Props tend to fall off quite badly so he may not be worth the same salary at that point.

Its clear that the money wont be only factor here. Families will be daunted by the language barrier and the new surroundings without family ties in France.

I believe this is why Gethin's second choice at the moment is Bath over France. It's not always about Cash. Wouldn't be suprised though if Gethin resigns for the Blues.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've never played in the front row but anyone I know who as always seems to say that prop - especially tighthead - is mainly about body position and technique. If that's the case then his presence alone is important. Even besides that, props do seem to have a pretty decent shelf life.
Secondly, I believe him when he says he wants to stay - based on what I've read about he comes across as a genuine bloke whose first preference is to stay in Wales - at home. I don't think the O's would need to match a french offer (not as if anyone can match that) but just make an offer that's reasonable to him. I don't think Jones will want for work when he retires, his scrummaging seems to based primarily on technique rather than brute force so there will be plenty of coaching jobs for him when the time comes.

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 21 Jan 2012, 8:43 am

Red Right wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:Yep I agree with you Red. I think at the moment he is the most important Welsh Player around.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've never played in the front row but anyone I know who as always seems to say that prop - especially tighthead - is mainly about body position and technique. If that's the case then his presence alone is important. Even besides that, props do seem to have a pretty decent shelf life.
Secondly, I believe him when he says he wants to stay - based on what I've read about he comes across as a genuine bloke whose first preference is to stay in Wales - at home. I don't think the O's would need to match a french offer (not as if anyone can match that) but just make an offer that's reasonable to him. I don't think Jones will want for work when he retires, his scrummaging seems to based primarily on technique rather than brute force so there will be plenty of coaching jobs for him when the time comes.
Well said, I would allude to the same points. During the shoulder injury post Lions Jones did a lot of coaching Cai Griffiths benefitted massively.

His new Protégé is Joe Rees. Already looks good.

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5580.php

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 21 Jan 2012, 8:47 am

A 30 year old prop asking for a four year extension on his contract may seem to be a risk but this is Adam Jones we are talking about who is one of the finest tight-head props in world rugby

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Jan 2012, 8:58 am

I read an interview recently I think with Sean Holley saying that, while Adam Jones is obviously awesome, how much does he actually play for the Ospreys? He's often injured, often away on Wales duty, etc. I guess the weigh up for the O's is whether they break the bank for him or spend the money on a couple of other players and promote from within.

For me, if any team has ambitions of challenging for the HC then this is the sort of player that they need to break the bank for. However, with the salary cap coming in Adam Jones may be priced out of a contract within his own region. It's a tough dilemma for the O's.

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Sat 21 Jan 2012, 12:03 pm

I say pay him. He's worth it and as was mentioned previously he also has a future in scrum coaching.
Give him a 4 year deal with an option of coaching when injured and a get out in 2 years times if him playing is not a viable option ( due to burn out/injury/choice) at a much lower price to coach.
Everyone wins, the hairsprays pay less, keep the.player, can keep him on as a coach if something happens in the future.
That's assuming it's possible to come to an agreement.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 21 Jan 2012, 1:43 pm

I really hope they can afford to keep him for four years somewhere. He's a great asset to the O's and Wales. would be good for both regional and international rugby if he stays. Given his age, however, perhaps they could reach an agreement somewhere rather than committing to four years. Such as reviewing his contract annually or something like that?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 22 Jan 2012, 12:16 am

I think it's worth it. Out of the entire Welsh squad Jones has been one of if not the only player who has consistently argued his claim as one of the world's best in his position over the last four years. Provided nothing about his fitness regime changes in the next four years I can't see that changing. Besides, who could the Ospreys possibly hope to lure capable of filling his shoes?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down