The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Umpire Errors Can Change The Course Of A Match

+13
Jubbahey
laverfan
newballs
banbrotam
amritia3ee
Calder106
sportslover
JuliusHMarx
Tenez
carrieg4
legendkillar
djlovesyou
hawkeye
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Umpire Errors Can Change The Course Of A Match - Page 3 Empty Umpire Errors Can Change The Course Of A Match

Post by hawkeye Fri 20 Jan 2012, 2:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

In this years AO (so far) I have seen IMO 3 Umpire errors. they have had a very disruptive effect on players that have been on the recieving end of these poor judgements.

The first was Harrison who got a time violation warning after Murray chose a cruciial game in the match to repeatedly complain to the umpire about the time he was taking between points. Harrisons game unraveled after the warning.

The second was when an umpire overruled an out call when Isner was serving late in the 5th set in his match with Nalbandian. The umpire refused to let Nalbandian use Hawkeye saying he was too late to challenge. The ball was out and it was obvious to everyone watching that Nalbandian challenged as soon as he realised what had happened. Nalbandian never looked like he would win after the incident.

The third was today when Tomic stopped play during a ralley with Dolgopolov. He raised his hand and looked at the umpire as if to challenge then changed his mind and continued to play. Dolgopolov saw Tomic and he hit the ball out thinking that play has stopped. The umpire hadn't seen Tomic and despite protests gave the point to Tomic. Dolgopolov went from what looked like a winning position in the 5th set to lose.

Of course we can never be sure if these incidents did change the result of the match. However most watching would agree that the players on the recieving end of Umpire errors play less well afterwoods.

These are matches that are telivised and played in front of a huge crowd. Should a tournament referee be able to overrule an umpire by making use of video? As a viewer I like matches to be decided with forehands and backhands and not by umpires

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Umpire Errors Can Change The Course Of A Match - Page 3 Empty Re: Umpire Errors Can Change The Course Of A Match

Post by Henman Bill Sat 21 Jan 2012, 1:08 pm

Actually I thought Dolgo was right from the beginning, but the replay confirmed it more clearly.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Umpire Errors Can Change The Course Of A Match - Page 3 Empty Re: Umpire Errors Can Change The Course Of A Match

Post by Calder106 Sat 21 Jan 2012, 1:14 pm

Agree with both your statements HB. The umpire used his common sense on the swearing issue especially as it was mild swear word but got it wrong on the challenge one.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat 21 Jan 2012, 1:19 pm

Still waiting Hawky for the answer to my question "Did Murray warn Harrison?"

And no I don't accept bullcrap as an answer neither.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sat 21 Jan 2012, 1:22 pm

hawkeye wrote:carrieg4

Ha ha! Can you imagine Murray is serving at break point down in the 5th set against Kukushkin when Kukushkin takes my coaching advice (for the second time) and complains to the umpire about Murray swearing again.
The umpire gives Murray a point penalty and Kukushkin the match.

.... afterwoods much time is spent replaying the video to try and figure out what Murray said. Was it something else or was it just "focus". Everyone would have a theory!

Don't worry this is just an imaginary scene. I would never advise Kukushkin to use such a tactic. BTW I am always "mellow".

A time violation doesn't require a theory though, it either is or isn't.............................

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3