The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WBU Featherweight World Championship

3 posters

Go down

WBU Featherweight World Championship Empty WBU Featherweight World Championship

Post by Adam D Sun 22 Jan 2012, 7:42 am

Marsili the new IBO World Champion, stops Mathews in 7 rounds.
By Paul Hampton.

WBU Featherweight World Championship Knockdown

Friday night saw former WBU Featherweight World Champion "Dirty" Derry Mathews, now 29-6-1, return to the ring against unbeaten Italian Emiliano Marsili for the IBO Lightweight World Title. Mathews last fight was in October, against Gavin Rees, the fight ended in a technical draw after an accidental clash of heads resulted in Mathews nose being broken. Prior to that he had won 4 of his last 5 fights, 3 by the way of knock-out.

Little was known about the unbeaten Italian, Emiliano Marsili, and after a bit of research, it was clear that he was a stay at home type of fighter, having never fought outside of Italy before. The saying "padded record" was invented for fighters like Emiliano Marsili. He has made a living fighting journeymen, only recently stepping up the competition and fighting people who have a positive record.

I like Mathews, he seems like a very genuine guy, down to earth and hasn't let his success go to his head, I read an interview on the BBC with Derry Mathews after the Rees fight, I distinctly remember the quote "the IBO contacted Stephen Vaughan and said they were happy with Saturday's performance and want me to fight for their world title." There must have been someone around at the time, another fighter who was more deserving of a world title fight than a guy who had just had a 4 round technical draw? Could they not have looked at Ricky Burns, Michael Katsidis, Kevin Mitchell, Robert Guerrero? He is ranked 49th in the world, so there are 48 other guys the IBO could have contacted.

Mathews got the reception you would expect during his ring walk, and seemed calm and unfazed by what was about to happen, while Marsili was greeted with a chorus of jeers, yet appeared to maintain his composure. Marsili made the quicker start to the fight, looking to get in and out while landing a big looping left hand, Mathews looked ponderous, surprised possibly by the speed that Marsili possessed and unsure of how could get to his man, and after the first two rounds it was clear that the speed was a problem that Mathews didn't know how to solve.

Mathews had some success in the third round, forcing Marsili back to the ropes and letting his shots go, but Mathews was lucky not to have a knock down given against him when Marsili landed a punch as he bundled Mathews to the floor. It was always going to happen at some point during this fight, and in the fourth Mathews nose gave way, his face became a mask of red, every time a shot landed flush the pain was clear on the face of Mathews. The blood kicked Mathews in to gear, he started to let combinations go and appeared to trouble Marsili on occasion. The fight became a blood bath in the 6 round, Mathews mouth was split open, the nose was bleeding and there was a nasty cut above his left eye. Mathews who had tried his best to get him out of there, had possibly emptied the tank as he was dropped by a body shot later in the round.

The fight was stopped in the 7th, with Mathews looking like he'd been beaten with a baseball bat. Marsili was beginning to land at will, and at one point landed 3 flush upper cuts on the nose of Mathews. Marsili did not look the fighter his record had suggested, he was a far better fighter, had superb speed for a 35 year old and had power in both hands. The question is, where does Mathews go from here? There was respect between the two fighters at the end, so much so that the Italian confirmed that he would be happy to have a rematch, in Italy, however I believe this to be a pointless fight if it happens again, Mathews was soundly beaten by the better man.

I believe that the rematch with Rees is still an option. I do think that Mathews and Harrison under estimated Marsili, there was a little footage to be found of him, and what footage could be found did not show the same fighter that was in Liverpool tonight.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

WBU Featherweight World Championship Empty Re: WBU Featherweight World Championship

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 22 Jan 2012, 11:02 am

Why sin't there more footage of the italian? He bloody decent - he just come out of nowhere. Quick aggressive with a half decent jab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qP7bgGEpC0

highlights with italian commentary.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

WBU Featherweight World Championship Empty Re: WBU Featherweight World Championship

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 22 Jan 2012, 3:15 pm

Thanks Shah
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down