The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OWGR - Week #3

+8
Skydriver
Sand
NedB-H
super_realist
McLaren
kwinigolfer
ScottieD18
princedracula
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OWGR - Week #3 Empty OWGR - Week #3

Post by princedracula Mon 23 Jan 2012, 6:45 am

Congratulations to Mark Wilson and Branden Grace for their impressive wins this week!
These two together with Johnson Wagner who backed his win from previous week with a runner up place now, achieve carrier best positions this week: Wilson at #40 (#62 at the end of last year), Wagner and his moustache at #68 (was #220 at the end of 2011 and hoping now, no doubt, for a place in the Match Play field) and Grace at #92 (#271 at the end of 2011).

As usual at this time of the year, the South Africans have been taking full advantage of hosting those last few ET/Sunshine events... Aside from Branden Grace, inside the top 10 Charl Schwartzel moves up one place to #8, his pal King Louis continues his impressive climb back on the ranks, now at #23, while the two veterans, Goosen and Els get a much needed boost of owgr points moving up to #45 and #57, respectively.

Otherwise, Tiger stays at #25 before he tees off this week in Abu Dhabi, while Padraig only manages to move up one place to #88.

So, the OWGR table after week #3 should look like this:

1 Luke Donald
2 Lee Westwood
3 Rory McIlroy
4 Martin Kaymer
5 Steve Stricker
6 Webb Simpson
7 Adam Scott
8 Charl Schwartzel
9 Dustin Johnson
10 Jason Day
---------------------------
11 Matt Kuchar
12 Nick Watney
13 Graeme McDowell
14 K.J. Choi
15 Phil Mickelson
16 Justin Rose
17 Sergio Garcia
18 Hunter Mahan
19 Ian Poulter
20 Paul Casey
21 Bubba Watson
22 Alvaro Quiros
23 Louis Oosthuizen
24 Kim Kyung-Tae
25 Tiger Woods
26 Bill Haas
27 Robert Karlsson
28 Simon Dyson
29 David Toms
30 Keegan Bradley
31 Bo Van Pelt
32 Martin Laird
33 Brandt Snedeker
34 Bae Sang-moon
35 Rickie Fowler
36 John Senden
37 Jason Dufner
38 Anders Hansen
39 Thomas Bjorn
40 Mark Wilson
41 Zach Johnson
42 Fredrik Jacobson
43 Geoff Ogilvy
44 Francesco Molinari
45 Retief Goosen
46 Miguel A Jimenez
47 Peter Hanson
48 Aaron Baddeley
49 Y.E. Yang
50 Darren Clarke
--------------------------------
51 Ryo Ishikawa
52 Gonzalo Fdez-Castano
53 Jonathan Byrd
54 Gary Woodland
55 Jim Furyk
56 Ben Crane
57 Ernie Els
58 Greg Chalmers
59 Ryan Moore
60 Matteo Manassero
61 Robert Allenby
62 Rory Sabbatini
63 Charles Howell-III
64 Toru Taniguchi
---------------------------
65 Alexander Noren
66 Joost Luiten
67 Sean O'Hair
68 Johnson Wagner
69 Kevin Na
70 Vijay Singh
71 Hiroyuki Fujita
72 Nicolas Colsaerts
73 Edoardo Molinari
74 Chez Reavie
75 Lucas Glover
76 Pablo Larrazabal
77 Ryan Palmer
78 Jeff Overton
79 Thomas Aiken
80 Yuta Ikeda
81 Robert Garrigus
82 George Coetzee
83 Jaco Van Zyl
84 Paul Lawrie
85 Carl Pettersson
86 Harrison Frazar
87 Brendan Jones
88 Padraig Harrington
89 Tetsuji Hiratsuka
90 Spencer Levin
91 David Lynn
92 Branden Grace
93 Gregory Havret
94 Chris Kirk
95 Charley Hoffman
96 Anthony Kim
97 Koumei Oda
98 Camilo Villegas
99 Jamie Donaldson
100 Raphael Jacquelin
-------------------------------
101 Michael Hoey
102 Richie Ramsay
103 Fredrik Andersson Hed

princedracula

Back to top Go down

OWGR - Week #3 Empty Re: OWGR - Week #3

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:01 pm

The next 6 weeks (ET has 3 weeks in the dessert swing and ending with two WGC events) should give the top 10 a bit of a shake.

The main questions for me over this peiod are:
- Has Luke able to take 2011 form into 2012?
- Will it be Westwood or McRoy who recures no 2 spot and who will be pushing for Luk's spot?
- Will Tiger be a contender this year?

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:04 pm

clap princed

I like Scottie's assessment that the next 6 weeks will give the rankings a rattle. Questions:

1).Luke? I see him having another great year, but don't be dismayed if he starts slowly. He's upheaved his schedule a bit for 2012, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's April (OK, Augusta!) before he starts contending in a big way.

2).What about Kaymer too? He always seems to come out of the traps quickly.

3).Would think so, if not until the Tour reaches Florida. But, in the context of this thread, it's a little surprising that he hasn't lost position this year; and now, any top ten finish will cause him almost certainly to improve his ranking.

Will Kim and Camilo find any sustained form before they go through the trap door? They'll get another chance this week, vying with Mickelson, Watson, Johnson, Watney, Rose among others - about 36 - 42 pts perhaps??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:19 pm

pd,
It seems almost certain that Phil will miss the MatchPlay so perhaps number 65 will be Luke's first opponent when he defends his title?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:13 pm

These are difficult questions to answer at this point, but this week's events/results should give us some better hints. I'd be also interested to see what other players (if any) will be able to break into the top 10 in this period. Wouldn't discard at this stage any of the top 4, no reason really to think that any of them will fade away from the top in the next months. As for Tiger, I hope he will be a contender as soon as possible, but would be surprised if that happens this week, we'll see... In any case, just to cover that possibility, should he win in Abu Dhabi, he has a chance to get back into the top 10 (he'll need some luck as well for that).

kwini, thanks for the hint on Phil for the Match Play, we can keep an eye under the #64 line as well in the next weeks. Torrey Pines looks much stronger than that actually...

Early count suggests:
- Abu Dhabi: 58-60 pts to the winner
- Farmers: around 48 pts

So, the real season begins in earnest this week!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:27 pm

Forgot to mention it... in the end not a big difference from last year in terms of field strengths. In 2011 Abu Dhabi was worth 56 pts to the winner and Farmers was the same 48 pts...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:28 pm

Has anyone read the shamful commetns from Ian Carter on his blog where he writes off Graces double as no more than some wins in the local crazy golf championship?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:40 pm

Looking ahead ten days, I see Hunter Mahan is dissing Phoenix (he won there in 2010) to play in Qatar. Wot, no appearance fee in Phoenix??

Another strong Desert field in Qatar with Westwood, Kaymer, Day, McDowell, Choi, Sergio and Alvaro as well as the other usual suspects.

Mac,
I commented on it, only to get dissed myself!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Jan 2012, 3:41 pm

He should have stuck to tennis. He knows nothing about Golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:18 pm

Two extremely strong fields for the next two desert weeks, clearly the money in the UAE/quality of the tour nowadays is having its effect.

A few interesting things deeper into the depths of the field:
- Hamilton and Curtis using their "past glory" Open exemptions, which have long since expired on the PGA Tour. But no Beem, surprisingly after his comments last week in SA.
- Further US evacuees in Richard Johnson and Alex Cejka, the latter playing off a medical exemption, rather generous given he's barely played in Europe for years. He has a parallel exemption Stateside, would expect him to return for Pebble Beach if he can make the field, he has a good record there.
- Olazabal lining himself up for both weeks on his money list exemption. Can he build on a good week at Fancourt, and more importantly, can his body hold out for three straight tournaments?
- Check out Stenson's status. In the Abu Dhabi field as a sponsor's invite, and in Qatar as a former champion, presumably his Euro appearances will rely on similar invites in 2012. How the mighty....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

McLaren wrote:Has anyone read the shamful commetns from Ian Carter on his blog where he writes off Graces double as no more than some wins in the local crazy golf championship?

I disagree with that. He says Grace does deserve a lot of respect for his wins in his opening lines. Which he does, as what hes done since hes managed to get through the qualifying school is fantastic.

Im sure im not alone, in saying that the last few weeks the fields havent been too great so havent really watched the coverage on SKY and I usually love doing that. I cant wait to see the golf this week with all the big names on show so think what Carter says is basically spot on.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:34 pm

Regardless of the starting field the guy beat JMO, Goose, els and Schwartzel down the stretch, and els and goose in a play off. You would not have to beat that quality in even the bigger PGA tour events come back nine sunday.

There should not have been a but in Carters article yet he felt the need to belittle the wins.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 24 Jan 2012, 8:43 am

ok McLaren can see your point but still dont think he was too disrespectful.

Anyway who writes the reports on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/16687719.stm

If woods renaissance continues he can be challenging for world number 1 at the masters?? REALLY?! What a lot of gash, he has won one tournament and it was in his back yard against his buddies and a small field.

Usual Tiger nonsense reporting....

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Tue 24 Jan 2012, 8:46 am

There's a long list of guys who can be No 1 after the Masters if they win every event from now and then. As you say, a very feable way to get Tiger into the article.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:10 am

The thing is, I would imagine that is exactly Tigers goal and the reason he is playing in an event this week with a boat load of OWGR points. I know he is getting a huge appearance fee but remember he is probably offered this for most events and normally turns it down. So there must be something else driving him to play with the worlds best so early in the year.

Should be a great event any way, first real event of 2012?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:17 am

I understood he had some association with HSBC the sponsor so this was one of the reasons.

Would be good to see more of the US guys take part in the dessert swing. Certianly a few more have dipped their water in the ET tour in recent years but only a few.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:25 am

I would imagine that was exactly Tigers goal McLaren but pretty sure it would be the same goal as every other professional going on a run of W's as Tiger puts it.

Simply not going to happen tho that Tiger or anyone else is going to win every event that he pitches up in till the Masters and get number 1 back.

Have a feeling he will have a good season but not sure how many times he will win even at all.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:54 am

Why is it the first "real" event of 2012 Mac, only yesterday you were saying how unhappy you were about Carter calling Graces two wins tinpot.

I think every event is a real event, with the exception of limited field/invtational events such as Nedbank/Chevron which should carry bugger all points.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:59 am

How wrong was I;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/16698125.stm

PS super, sorry, my attempt at humor. Live with it.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:01 am

Seems ironic that he's having a go at Haney for being self serving then eh?

If I was as rich as him money simply wouldn't be a motivation, he makes more out of endorsements than he ever will out of tournaments. I'd ask the directors to put it to charity instead.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:11 am

Of course, if you write it like that (i.e. $2m or £1.3m) it is less than a 7 figure sum, so no conflict there...Wink

Judging by a few tweets from Doug Ferguson and others in the last 24 hours, it would appear that what Tiger says about the PGA Tour not awarding appearence fees, is no longer true...

Just watched a video suggesting PGA Tour events start paying appearance money. Which suggests that someone hasn't been paying attention

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:27 am

So it's Rory, Tiger, Luke playing together in rounds 1&2.
Sergio, Lee, Kaymer is not bad either...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:41 am

Random draws me thinks Wink

Really looking forward to it.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:47 am

Haven't seen the Doug Ferguson tweetage, but most journalists would say the PGA Tour now turns a blind eye to most quasi-appearance money for the top guys.

Wonder if you remember the fuss a few years back when some top pros received large sums for conducting a clinic during the week of Doral (I think when Ford was the sponsor). Harrington and Singh were definitely two of those beneficiaries.

Now we've got Tiger playing Pebble Beach because AT&T have been very generous to his Foundation, the same reason given for his participation in Abu Dhabi due to HSBC's largesse.

Nothing much anyone can do about it. It wasn't mere coincidence that all the RBC-sponsored guys, led by Donald and Els, all flew across 8 time-zones to play Vancouver following Open Championship Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Tue 24 Jan 2012, 11:49 am

Random, indeed, but as you say, looking forward to it all...

A few quick projections:

- no one can touch Luke's #1 this week
- only Schwartzel has a remote chance to break into the top 4: if he wins and Kaymer finishing outside top 50 or so (very unlikely I'd say)
- as I said already, Tiger can break into top 10 with a win, but he'll need a lot of luck as well...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Tue 24 Jan 2012, 1:09 pm

kwini, I'm sure that sort of stuff goes on for a while in US. Obviously that's what DF is trying to imply when he says ...Which suggests that someone hasn't been paying attention

Perhaps it didn't yet reach the '7 figure sum' level over there and in Tiger speak, that's not really appearence money...Wink

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Tue 24 Jan 2012, 2:47 pm

After Freddy Jac, now Overton w/d as well from Farmers... With these, that one looks now more like a 46 pointer...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 24 Jan 2012, 10:58 pm

I see that the female tennis-playing half of power couple "Wozilroy" has lost her Aus Open match against an injured Kim Clijsters, and her #1 ranking with the match/tournament.

Wonder how this might affect the other half this week - a negative which can be turned into a positive? Or just a negative? Or something that looks like a negative which is secretly a positive?

I'm clearly tired after a long day and babbling...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 25 Jan 2012, 12:22 am

Skydriver wrote:I see that the female tennis-playing half of power couple "Wozilroy" has lost her Aus Open match against an injured Kim Clijsters, and her #1 ranking with the match/tournament.

Wonder how this might affect the other half this week - a negative which can be turned into a positive? Or just a negative? Or something that looks like a negative which is secretly a positive?

I'm clearly tired after a long day and babbling...
Dont know if Wozzy is playing the doubles, but one should think she could now fly into Abu Dhabi and provide some 19th hole relieve for Rory.

Good article as usual pd.

I'd agree with other posters that the "real" season isn't starting until this week! The Saffer swing doesn't get me excited. I'd be suprised if Kaymer isn't in the mix come Sunday afternoon.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 25 Jan 2012, 7:57 pm

Stallings also out injured; perhaps confirming 46 pts for Phil when he wins?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 26 Jan 2012, 6:44 am

Not a bad start by the leading trio in Abu Dhabi with Rory in the lead part of a NI trio at -3 and all the other main contenders gathering around the top of the LB. Tiger doing ok at -1 with one birdie and 10 pars so far. A bit surprised to see Quiros struggling by comparison on that course...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 8:43 am

Very good start for Northern Ireland.

It somehow feels as if you need to see the names on the leaderboard to realise what an exceptional field this is!

Jason Day misses out and Quiros's day went from bad to worse but most of the faces are up there; rotten start for Kaymer though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Thu 26 Jan 2012, 8:46 am

Watched the top group (Donald/McRoy/Woods) play 14th this morning while downing the coffee before work. Was very tempted to go in late but dragged myself away after one hole.

Kwini,

I'm a bit worried about your sleeping habits mate. Must be the very early hours in the US.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 8:53 am

Up to watch Rafa and Roger. But trying to keep track of golf, cricket and 'Arry's taxes at the same time.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 9:02 am

Harrington bogeys his first par 5. Broken Record

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 26 Jan 2012, 9:59 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Up to watch Rafa and Roger. But trying to keep track of golf, cricket and 'Arry's taxes at the same time.

Whats your call on the two sems Kwini ? Im going Federer and Murray to win so its a nailed on Nadal - Djoko final.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:05 am

'Morning Digs,
I like Federer / Murray also. Murray played sooooo well vs Djoko in Cincinnatti; if he can repeat that form he'll win. Big IF though!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:08 am

Funnily enough Id rather Murray got Nadal in the final even though he lost to him in 3 slams last year. But to be honest Id just be ecstatic if he got there.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:13 am

Agreed Diggers, I think Nadal is going to suffer a lot this year, as I tend to think he overtrains and doesn't have the all round athleticism and conditioning which can be maintained throughout a career like Murray, Smugboy and Djokovic.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:16 am

Whatever the reason, the hard courts (and the way he plays) just wear Rafa down. Not to say he won't win, but it'll take its toll later in the year.

Looking good in this set tho'.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:31 am

I too cant see Nadals career lasting many more years, but I have to say the guy might just be the most mentally strong sportsman I have ever seen in any sport. He doesnt know the meaning of the word defeat.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:44 am

Cartainly up there Diggers, but I can't warm to a man who still thinks biting the trophy as if it was a gold debloom is funny.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:15 am

Hole in one for Sergio!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:25 am

We have Patrick McEnroe and Darren Cahill commentating; with Brad Gilbert I don't think you find many commentators as good in any sport. The Ladies (M-J Fernandez especially) are top notch too.
Pity we can't have the same quality in the golf booth.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:39 am

Does Peter Fleming do any commentary in the US still kwini? Not heard much of Mac Jr, but Fleming always seems very good. Thought Rusedski would be good when he first started out, despite the annoying accent, but he seems to have descended from insightfulness to dullness.

Anyone fancy a deciding set?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

Barry Cowan is very good. I remember he nearly beat Monkey Man Sampras one year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:00 pm

Never heard Fleming; don't care for John Mc either. Haven't heard Rusedski.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:09 pm

I dont think John Mc is that great, also read his book which had great reviews. To me was a shining example as to why sportsmen should actually use writers rather than pen the things themselves. Cowan just comes across as a likeableish baffoon to me.
I always enjoy Ms Crofts legs however.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

Hope this goes to a 5th set, if Murray does win then we need whoever he plays to have had a very tough match, especially as they have an extra rest day and I cant see Murray - Djokovic being anything other than a long match as well. Unless Murray tanks that is.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm

Haven't heard Cowan, or Annabella - can't believe she's in her forties. Blimey!

I reckon Murray has one great match in him per tournament. Trouble is, he has to use it in the semis and has nothing left.
Fancy him to give Novak a real run for his money though - certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him win.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next