The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Onwards to the 6 nations

2 posters

Go down

Onwards to the 6 nations Empty Onwards to the 6 nations

Post by HQ matt Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:44 am

As an England fan I am really rather keen to move on from whats been a disappointing fortnight of HC fixtures. But we cant ignore the HC entirely as it is a form guide for players going into the 6 nations and it is difficult to pick out individuals who have impressed from sides that are losing. But I am not one of these people who are all 'doom and gloom' and english rugby is in big trouble!

Okay so sarries are the only team through to the HC quarters but quins threw away a QF with a naive tactical display, underestimating their opponents. Leicester failed to perform away from home in what was probably the toughest group to get out of and northampton underperformed in their group after that crushing o'gara drop goal in week 1. A different year and I feel england could have had 2 sides in the QF quite easily, there were some fine margins there.

Onwards, the HC goes on the back burner as the 6 nations wades into view. What positives can we take from recent individual perfomances, which players have impressed in sides generally on the wrong side of the result. Starting upfront I think Marler has shown that he can scrummage rather well and he should have a role to play in the 6 nations, perhaps from the bench. Hartely also has been good recently, very solid set piece and i've notice some decent carries too. Cole, the ulster game apart, has very much impressed me lately in all aspects. The front row looks good.
The second row not so much, Botha had a good game against Biarritz and may start against scotland.
The back row is a big concern, english sides have been bested at the breakdown in a manner that reminds me of the national side against Ireland and SA last year. Wood is out, croft has been anonomous on a number of occasions, Robshaw looks good to me but im not sure about his decision making at times and the other players in the EPS are untested at test level, worries me.

Foden and brown are the standout players in the backs sadly in the same postion. Farrel's kicking is imperious and allround game appears solid. Barritt's form has been excellant particulrly defensively and dave strettle also looks in great form and odds on to start for me. jonny may is on fire and his pace looks like it could be a threat at any level, shame he is not in the EPS.

also looking forward to the return of flood, lawes and tuilagi. I think there is plenty of cause for optimism, although the back row is the standout worry for me.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Onwards to the 6 nations Empty Re: Onwards to the 6 nations

Post by LordDowlais Mon 23 Jan 2012, 9:53 am

So how do you think England will do in the six nations then ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HQ matt Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:25 am

i think england are a bit of an unknown for this 6 nations.
unfortuntely missing some of our best players, them returning could make a huge difference or it could just end up a bit of a mess.

lancaster has his work cut out for him, i would be disappointed if england finshed 4th or lower.

HQ matt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down