The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is/was better BOD or Gibson?

+6
bedfordwelsh
Gibson
dummy_half
rodders
geoff998rugby
Kingshu
10 posters

Go down

Who is/was better BOD or Gibson? Empty Who is/was better BOD or Gibson?

Post by Kingshu Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:36 pm

I never saw Gibson play but have heard of him as a great center for Ireland and the Lions. So I was wondering who does he compare to the great BoD? Both seamed to be great centers for their era, and hold similar records (for their times).

I know it's difficult to compare players from two different era's, but looking at how they rated in the world at their prime would give an indication. Maybe some other ways you can think off.

For others like me not around in the 60's and 70's heres Gibsons profile from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Gibson_(rugby_player)

International career
Gibson's distinguished career began Ireland in 1964, and earned his 69th and final cap in the second and final test win against Australia in Sydney in 1979 at age 36. A versatile player, he represented his country in four different positions. Gibson had a distinguished international career; The Irish Solicitor's all-round talent marked him out as arguably the greatest centre of any era. Gibson's brilliance lay in the perception and timing of his attacking play, the focus and anticipation of his defence, and the rare dedication and commitment with which he applied himself across a 15-year international career in which he appeared in a then-world record 81 Tests.

Famed as much for his great hands and line-breaking ability as his tactical skills and rapier boot, Gibson scored 112 Test points (9 tries, 16 penalties, 7 conversions and 6 drop goals) for Ireland in a career that also saw him tour five times with the British and Irish Lions.

Gibson's record Ireland caps haul of 69 was overtaken by lock Malcolm O'Kelly against Scotland in February 2005. The mark had lasted for 26 years. His record of 56 appearances in the Five Nations (now Six Nations) was not equalled until countryman Ronan O'Gara reached the mark in Ireland's final match of the 2011 Six Nations.

British and Irish Lions
Gibson toured with the British and Irish Lions five times, his best performances probably being on the 1971 tour to New Zealand where he played a key role in the Lions' only series win in that country. Gibson also became the first ever replacement in international rugby, coming on for the injured Barry John during the Lions v South Africa Test in 1968 in Pretoria.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Who is/was better BOD or Gibson? Empty Re: Who is/was better BOD or Gibson?

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

That simple - Gibson was the better 12 and BOD was the better 13.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 23 Jan 2012, 1:46 pm

I think Gibson is a better 606V2 poster than BOD.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 23 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

Good thing for the rest of us that they weren't playing in the same era - Gibson at 12 with BOD before he lost a yard of pace at 13 would have cut a lot of defences to pieces.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 23 Jan 2012, 4:53 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:That simple - Gibson was the better 12 and BOD was the better 13.

+1.

Those 2 together? I dream of it. Gibson was more instinctive. BOD is a better defender. Both highly intelligent and beyond dedicated to their craft.
I saw Gibson in the 70's, v the great Wales side. Watching him move, in a different time and space than the rest - including his own team, it caught my imagination forever. He was Georgie Best with a rugby ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7wiNeDy0NA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibDNBjoel4s

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 23 Jan 2012, 5:02 pm

Its always hard to compare different eras but Gibson is one of those players that was just simply brilliant and would have been brilliant in any era.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:01 pm

roddersm wrote:I think Gibson is a better 606V2 poster than BOD.

Your looking for the Gibson versus DOD thread.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:09 pm

Keith Earls.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:33 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Keith Earls.
No, its M Kiernan...but you might be right about Earls in a few years...stick around

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:35 pm

While I won't draw an indefinite conclusion (not being so familiar with Gibson as with BOD) I think it'd be tough to outdo the latter. Has the distinction of having led Ireland to its joint greatest honour in the team's history, greatest abundance of success against a large variety of top sides, inspirational leader and equally good player. A portrait of leading by example, so great an example the rest of the team has trouble matching it at that Smile

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:36 pm

We waited a lifetime for Gibson. It took another 25 years for BOD to come along. That's how rare they are. I hope I live to see the next one.

No one even close on the horizon. Worse luck. We have to make up for BOD's loss, by spreading his rare traits across the team. His intelligence in reading a move in a split-second, reacting to it, and guiding those around him to to the same - is unparralled. We miss it already. It must be a shared responsbility and no undue pressure should put on Ireland's next 13 because of it.

I always thought Keith Earls was the One. When I saw him 1st, he reminded me of BOD and Gibson. He was so unpredictable, he enthralled me when he got hold of the ball. In the ensuing 3 years, I realised - he's not the one. But he is the closest we have to it right now. Was excellent the other night. Give him the time and space to prove himself at 13 in Green. The lad has been moved around too much in his young career and is being held back because of it. A la Fitz. He is Ireland's 13. But, I have doubts he will stay there beyond Kidney's tenure. I pray he proves me wrong.

I think it will be between Cave and O' Malley. As it stands. Both great 13's with so much natural talent... But.

Players like Gibson and BOD come round once in a generation.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 23 Jan 2012, 7:40 pm

DOD wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Keith Earls.
No, its M Kiernan...but you might be right about Earls in a few years...stick around

TOM Keirnan. Massive influence on Irish rugby.

Ligind.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down