The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 'New' England's Style of Play

+6
nathan
RubyGuby
miteyironpaw
Geordie
LondonTiger
doctor_grey
10 posters

Go down

The 'New' England's Style of Play Empty The 'New' England's Style of Play

Post by doctor_grey Mon 30 Jan 2012, 10:21 am

Looking at the EPS roster, two things are apparent. The Sarries backs and the overall number of Saints.
It seems somewhat likely the Saracens 10 - 13 will be selected. Does this mean England will kick and kick and kick, much more than before? Or with the number of Saints playing, will they play more of an up-tempo game? To me this is a strange combination of players since the styles are so different.

To me, they should be playing more of the attacking game since there is a lot of talent in the backs and good ball carriers amongst the forwards. The scrum, sadly, will not be a strength, so I don't see the choice.

What do you think? Not so much about will they pull it off, but how will they play.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

The 'New' England's Style of Play Empty Re: The 'New' England's Style of Play

Post by LondonTiger Mon 30 Jan 2012, 10:43 am

They will attempt to play a high tempo, high offload game. If you watch Sarries midfield play they are capable of moving the ball quickly - especially on teh counter-attack.

TBH I doubt the style will be different to the one England tried to play during the last 6Ns - and again every time we come up against a big ferocious pack we will get completely mullered.

The only match we may win could be the Wales game as I can see us being beasted at Murrayfield and struggling in Italy.

God I am a pessimist right now Sad

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 30 Jan 2012, 11:06 am

LT your not alone...I worry about the power in our pack aswell.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:30 pm

Relax lads, we need to let go of the past. It wasn't working any longer.

We need to wait and see what Lancaster brings and then judge him, rather than second guessing and panicking like a bunch of softs.

This years 6N is all about starting the building process for RWC2015 and if that means a few players or plans are given opportunities that don't work out on the field then that is something we might have to live through, but won't signal the impending end of the world.

Realistically most of our club sides should account for Scotland or Italy, even shorn of the few international players in those teams. So I wouldn't go making such dire predictions.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:33 pm

Tiger, if you think you'll get beasted in Scotland and have a difficult time in Italy (which I actually agree with you on both) why do you think you'll have an easier time against Wales. It's an honest question so let's keep it sensible (ish) thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:37 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Tiger, if you think you'll get beasted in Scotland and have a difficult time in Italy (which I actually agree with you on both) why do you think you'll have an easier time against Wales. It's an honest question so let's keep it sensible (ish) thumbsup

More physical packs?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:37 pm

I think Dr Grey poses a great question here - I also think the midfield and 10 axis will be Saracenesque but this way of playing relies on a solid platform giving the likes of Hodgson and Farrell (both slowish) time to adjust and play the percentages. Without such a solid and secure platform and less time the last thing you need is Charlie Hodgson under pressure; he's not IMO an international out half and it'll be interesting how England go against Scotland. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:45 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Tiger, if you think you'll get beasted in Scotland and have a difficult time in Italy (which I actually agree with you on both) why do you think you'll have an easier time against Wales. It's an honest question so let's keep it sensible (ish) thumbsup

Home advantage?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:46 pm

I've just set my expectations really low this 6 nations. Only way i won't be disappointed.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:59 pm

I posted this on another thread, i think it could be relevant here as well though:

This does worry me I must say. I like Lancaster and I like that he's been talking about a free flowing game, putting pace into it and using some of the great backs we have available to us.

What concerns me is that the selection isn't backing up the PR. Firstly, he had no recognised 13 in the EPS after Manu's injury, calling up Trinder which was a great choice. The problem being however, if he always intended to have Trinder in the EPS or indeed start him in the Scotland game, why release him back to Gloucester over the weekend? He isn't short of match fitness.

This points to his decision always being to select the Sarries midfield. Now any international coach will tell you that that is not an international standard midfield. Farrell is a 12, and played at 13 for his goal kicking and development by Sarries. Where is the pace and incisiveness going to come from?

Now, with his calling up of Banners it seems he's reverting to the double crash ball combination. As has been said we will see Banners on the bench as a utility, to cover centre and wing. He was fairly poor in the Saxons game on the wing, and Lancaster loves him at centre. Should he be starting there for England though? Moreover, if your philosophy is as stated above shouldn't he have called up someone like Jonathan Joseph? Hopper pretty much excluded himself with his relatively average performance for the Saxons.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:06 pm

Stuart Lancaster's hands are tied. I am sure that if he could he would have picked a backline of:

9.Youngs
10.Flood
11.Strettle/Sharples
12.Barritt
13.Tuilagi
14.Ashton
15.Foden

Instead it is likely to be

9.Youngs
10.Hodgson
11.Strettle/Sharples
12.Barritt
13.Farrell
14.Ashton
15.Foden

Lancaster has not got a lot of choice. At least the 2nd backline has the familiarity/experience. 4 club mates and the other 3 with international experience. 5 of that backline have been capped by England before.

I am more worried about the pack though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:12 pm

Likewise beshocked, did you see how Garvey went for the Saxons? He did well I thought, added some real weight and go forward and did well in the line out.

Interesting to see SCW picking George Ford for his EPS in the Sunday Times on the weekend!!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Runster Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:Relax lads, we need to let go of the past. It wasn't working any longer.

We need to wait and see what Lancaster brings and then judge him, rather than second guessing and panicking like a bunch of softs.

This years 6N is all about starting the building process for RWC2015 and if that means a few players or plans are given opportunities that don't work out on the field then that is something we might have to live through, but won't signal the impending end of the world.

Realistically most of our club sides should account for Scotland or Italy, even shorn of the few international players in those teams. So I wouldn't go making such dire predictions.

Are England only ever 'building' toward the next world cup - do they never live in the here and now? Don't you enjoy the six nations in its own right? A playing style sometimes emerges, you don't always have to force a plan, just let it flow sometimes and see what emerges organically.

Runster

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:28 pm

Piffle.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Runster Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:36 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:

This years 6N is all about starting the building process for RWC2015.

Building for the next world cup is always your excuse for playing drudge rugby

"Realistically most of our club sides should account for Scotland or Italy, even shorn of the few international players in those teams" - yep, piffle. How emabarrassed will you be on Saturday if you loose, after that claim?

Runster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down