The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robshaw confirmed as England captain for the 6 nations

+22
nobbled
Taffineastbourne
Cymroglan
majesticimperialman
englandglory4ever
bathmad
niwatts
thomh
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
formerly known as Sam
Mr Bounce
LondonTiger
RubyGuby
ChequeredJersey
yappysnap
RuggerRadge2611
adambarney
Chjw131
robshaw4england
bedfordwelsh
miteyironpaw
nathan
26 posters

Go down

Robshaw confirmed as England captain for the 6 nations Empty Robshaw confirmed as England captain for the 6 nations

Post by nathan Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:35 pm

Well....

I don't think anyone saw that coming....

EDIT: I should point out it's only confirmed for the first two games, if a mod could alter the title. Ta much!

Last edited by nathan on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

nathan

Back to top Go down

Robshaw confirmed as England captain for the 6 nations Empty Re: Robshaw confirmed as England captain for the 6 nations

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:37 pm

No pressure then.

"It's not about myself because there are six or seven guys around me who all have a massive role to play - there's lots of other leaders in the group."

Where? I feel this was a poor choice of words, if not inevitable. The media might have other ideas around whether it's all about him or not. Let's hope they/everyone gives the lad a go.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Robshaw confirmed as England captain for the 6 nations Empty Re: Robshaw confirmed as England captain for the 6 nations

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:40 pm

nathan wrote:Well....

EDIT: I should point out it's only confirmed for the Scotland game, if a mod could alter the title. Ta much!

Says on the Beeb Sport site it for the first two games.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 30 Jan 2012, 12:43 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
nathan wrote:Well....

EDIT: I should point out it's only confirmed for the Scotland game, if a mod could alter the title. Ta much!

Says on the Beeb Sport site it for the first two games.

yeah the buggers just changed it! also isn't that when Wood will be back?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:24 pm

my work here is done. Very Happy

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:28 pm

Oh dear.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by adambarney Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:29 pm

i think it is a good appointment he leads like martin johnson use to he got great work rate good ball carrier which england need

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:31 pm

A big ask for him to take on this mantle against Scotland in Edinburgh. Baptism's of fire don't normally come much more difficult than that for an England captain.

I reckon he'll do a good job though. He certainly is a talented player. I just wonder if the psychological pressure will get to him.

2 untested Captains for the Calcutta Cup clash. Ross Ford has more than 50 caps under his belt though.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

Blimey just a bit of pressure then.

Massive games are going to be needed from players like Croft, Hartley and Youngs to help him out.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 30 Jan 2012, 1:35 pm

Just tell him that against Scotland in Murrayfield, with our current pack at least, if we get a chance near the posts, unless we really need 7 points, to take the 3 points
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:03 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Just tell him that against Scotland in Murrayfield, with our current pack at least, if we get a chance near the posts, unless we really need 7 points, to take the 3 points
Yahoo thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

robshaw4england wrote:my work here is done. Very Happy

Now we get to see which one of us is correct about him. I really hope that you are and not me.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:33 pm

@robshaw4england Have you spontaneously combusted yet? Very Happy

PS I think he is a woirthy choice thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:48 pm

Doh

Well we won't be on the good side of any refs this tournament then, oh well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:49 pm

If you tole me 6 months ago i wouldve eyebrowed that but given wahts been said in teh last wfew weeks and teh makeup of teh sqwuad its a real eyebrow.
Its perhaps a bit disrepectful to the senior players who set a good example under in the Old England but Lancaster is determined to be his own man.
Wood is obviousaly his first chocie ( strangely in tune with Rob Andrews thinking once again...) hence the just 2 games thing. I guess he'll then have to assess his backrow, and how Robs has done as Capatin to decide if he should put a bullet in him or Croft to get Wood in the side and in charge.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:23 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:If you tole me 6 months ago i wouldve eyebrowed that but given wahts been said in teh last wfew weeks and teh makeup of teh sqwuad its a real eyebrow.
Its perhaps a bit disrepectful to the senior players who set a good example under in the Old England but Lancaster is determined to be his own man.
Wood is obviousaly his first chocie ( strangely in tune with Rob Andrews thinking once again...) hence the just 2 games thing. I guess he'll then have to assess his backrow, and how Robs has done as Capatin to decide if he should put a bullet in him or Croft to get Wood in the side and in charge.

I doubt it's as clear cut as that. If Wood was his stand-out first choice then he wouldn't have made Robshaw the captain now, as it would just cause problems when Wood gets fit again. If Robshaw does a good job for two games I'm sure he can hang on to it for the whole tournament.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

thomh wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:If you tole me 6 months ago i wouldve eyebrowed that but given wahts been said in teh last wfew weeks and teh makeup of teh sqwuad its a real eyebrow.

I doubt it's as clear cut as that. If Wood was his stand-out first choice then he wouldn't have made Robshaw the captain now, as it would just cause problems when Wood gets fit again. If Robshaw does a good job for two games I'm sure he can hang on to it for the whole tournament.

Well he has to make someone captain, so it kinda makes sense to give it to your second choice no? Whoever he made capatin wouldnt it be teh same problem when woods fit, you have to make a decision on whos first teh backrow and whos capaytin. Hes left himself that option. If Robshaw were his first choice I doubt they wouldve spent so much time saying it was going to be Wood, then make their first choice only a temporary appointment untill Woods expected back.
Im pretty sure I said previously that when Woods fit theyll have to make an assesment if they still want him in the side and as capatin based on how things have gone with the backrow as is and the leadership of Robshaw.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:39 pm

Lancaster had previously stated that he would develop a leadership group and move the captaincy around.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:53 pm

The captaincy is not only until Wood gets back. Lancaster has previously said that this 6N would see different personnel and combinations in order to give the squad some chance to press a claim. It may be that come the 3rd game, neither Wood or Robshaw will be there (unlikely though!!)

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:03 pm

Does that mean goodbye Croft when Wood gets back? I hope so because he is a wing hanger with no grunt.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

It's always possible...

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:17 pm

Does that mean goodbye Croft when Wood gets back? I hope so because he is a wing hanger with no grunt

Excellent we'll have him back at WR quicker and see if we can get back all the points we lost whilst propping up the England side during the RWC.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:18 pm

I thought Robshaw was only incharge untill Wood got back from injury.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon 30 Jan 2012, 4:21 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I thought Robshaw was only incharge untill Wood got back from injury.

He is in charge for two games and possibly more. Lancaster has indicated that he may hand the captaincy around a bit during the tournament to build a new leadership group though.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 30 Jan 2012, 5:51 pm

Really? Apologies then I mustve missed that interview.

I actually think thats the smartest thing hes done yet. The permanent Capatins thing has caused issues for England in recent years. Unless someone emerges as an undroppable and inspirational leader Id be happy to see it stay as shared between a group of senior players. In reality its how sides are captained on the field anyway, with varius people responsible for their unit.
I just hope we dont see lurid headlines like " Robshaw stripped of Captaincy after just 2 games!" With the press looking to twist what they know isnt the case into a story.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 30 Jan 2012, 7:42 pm

thomh wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:I thought Robshaw was only incharge untill Wood got back from injury.

He is in charge for two games and possibly more. Lancaster has indicated that he may hand the captaincy around a bit during the tournament to build a new leadership group though.

Or it could be that Lancaster feels that like his the position may not be permanent.I doubt that Lancaster is thinking further than this tournament and if he gets the job on a permanent basis his choice of captain could change.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 30 Jan 2012, 7:59 pm

Seems a good appointment.Whole-hearted player with a brain.Seems a good combo to me.Good luck to the fella.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 31 Jan 2012, 1:04 pm

His gf is pretty fine as well, which is always a good criteria to judge captaincy credentials on.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Tue 31 Jan 2012, 1:24 pm

yappysnap wrote:His gf is pretty fine as well, which is always a good criteria to judge captaincy credentials on.
Come on - no need for that kind of comment.
Not unless you have the pictures to back it up... Whistle
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:09 pm

Where has Robshaw4England gone? Surely this is his crowning moment? I hope he's ok :-)

screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:Where has Robshaw4England gone? Surely this is his crowning moment? I hope he's ok :-)

He was about yesterday, though he may have spontaneously combusted overnight Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

His reason for existence is now fulfilled and he has returned to his dimension until he is needed again
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:12 pm

Wait for the user "Guest4England" to register

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:14 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Wait for the user "Guest4England" to register

He better be careful or we won't have any backrow players left
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:18 pm

Well i do hope he goes really well....and we shall see in a few days time...

However, more than the captaincy...im looking for him to be part of a back row (that i assume will contain Croft and Morgan also) that really tears in to the Scots at all areas of the game especially at the breakdown...and Mr Croft has alot to prove to many England Fans!

When is the team announced?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 31 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Well i do hope he goes really well....and we shall see in a few days time...

However, more than the captaincy...im looking for him to be part of a back row (that i assume will contain Croft and Morgan also) that really tears in to the Scots at all areas of the game especially at the breakdown...and Mr Croft has alot to prove to many England Fans!
Not sure why but I think he is going to pick Dowson at 8 with Morgan on the bench. I agree with you, the forwards do look a little under-powered and if not for total lack of experience there could have been an argument for picking Dowson in his club position at 6 with Morgan at 8 (Robshaw at 7). I'm a fan of Croft but he does need certain other players around him in order to bring his good points to a team and at Tigers that involves a strong front 5 and a decent ball carrying 8.

Anyway, back to the Robshaw captain thing. Hope he goes well but wouldn't have been my choice. Now has an unbelievable amount of pressure to play his own game well, play his fist true really competitive international and potentially try and lead a team that looks on paper a little under powered up front. Oh and play well enough to keep his place for when (or if) Wood regains fitness. All this away at a pretty hostile place as well! Plus I agree with others, I've seen him rub ref's up the wrong way in the past and that always turns out well for England, just look how successful Mr Borthwick was. Hartley would have been my choice until Wood returned (I'm not usually a fan of specialist positions being captain but would have made an exception in this case).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down