The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Golf seeking advice

+7
GG
McLaren
super_realist
George1507
Doon the Water
1GrumpyGolfer
Fader
11 posters

Go down

New to Golf seeking advice Empty New to Golf seeking advice

Post by Fader Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 pm

Hello all.

I'm new to forums brand new actually. This is my first foray into any form of social networking of sorts as I’m not into the Facebook posting of how I’m currently doing my ironing etc. I’m currently trying to dabble with Twitter to indulge my new found love for golf and following the sport.

I took up the game a year ago but began playing properly 9 months ago once the divorce was settled and the ex cleared off half way across the country with my kids. I joined my local public course on an unlimited play deal for a set amount each month and a small membership fee for handicap and competition play; this works out well for me a literally takes me 5 minutes to walk there from my front door.

I spent the first 3 months having weekly lessons and going to the driving range to practice what I had learned more to fill my now spare time than anything. I have quickly fell in love with the game and seen my handicap come down from 19 to 9(9.2 as of today) however I feel if only I could putt consistently that I could be better. When I look back at my rounds I find all my scores suffer due to either bunker play or putting.

I’m continuing to see my pro once a month for a tune up and to keep my swing in check as I feel we have built something good together and want to stick with his teachings. The issue I have is I think I need lessons on my bunker play and putting but feel I need to go see someone different. I was wondering is it common to have different teachers for different aspects of the game or am I being picky or simply unfaithful to the pro that has helped shape my golf swing.

I have plenty of practice time available due to the hours I work and only working a 4 day week (the only highlight of working for ahem The Daily Telegraph, sinful I know). I can practice every day between 730am till 930am, and all day Fridays. Should I just be practicing my bunker play and putting or is finding someone that excels in these areas a better idea.

Finally and sorry for waffling as I say this is new to me, what are good varieties of wedges to use, I see allsorts from 52-60degrees in playing partners bags but wonder would I benefit from a 60degree. Putters is my only other issue currently using a traditional bladed putter I was given and have looked at varying styles and find myself swaying towards mallet headed putters but do these offer a benefit over traditional styles.

Thanks for taking the time to read my drivel hope you all can help a newbie that wants to get better and wants to start playing competitions at other course without looking stupid.

Last edited by Fader on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Broken letter "w" on keyboard left the grammar and spelling looking very strange)

Fader

Back to top Go down

New to Golf seeking advice Empty Re: New to Golf seeking advice

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:47 am

Fader wrote:
I’m continuing to see my pro once a month for a tune up and to keep my swing in check as I feel we have built something good together and want to stick with his teachings. The issue I have is I think I need lessons on my bunker play and putting but feel I need to go see someone different. I was wondering is it common to have different teachers for different aspects of the game or am I being picky or simply unfaithful to the pro that has helped shape my golf swing.

Fader, any particular reason you want to see someone else? If you've trusted this guy to help you come down 10 shots in less than a year then he and you must be doing something right. Have you ever had any playing lessons from this pro? This may be an idea because it could be your course management that is putting undue pressure on your bunker play and putting.

What actually happens with your bunker play? Do you leave it in the sand or blast it miles over the green? Remember that even on the tour the pros have only a 60% success rate for getting up and down. You'll see the great shots on TV but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule so don't feel like you have to get it up and down each time you go into a bunker.

You've said you have a good amount of time to practice so you need to really find out what the problems are with each area and then work around those. Is it 3 putting and so maybe distance control is the key thing to work on.

I know there seems to be a lot of questions but there weren't a lot of specifics to go on. I think once you work out exactly what you need then you'll be in a much better position to take advice off a bunch of guys and girls who have never seen you play on an Internet forum. Whistle

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 am

GrumpyGolfer

Sorry I should have elaborated. Reason for the sudden drop in handicap is my long game is good but putting is very streaky at best.

The reason I'm thinking about using another pro is simply down to the range where my swing pro teaches does not have a putting green. The only short game facility is a bunker at one end of the range. So was thinking of going to my clubs pro so he can aid with the short game areas whilst sticking with my range pro for my swing.

Regards to my bunker play I do both things your saying I leave them in the bunker or am just as likely to catch it to clean and fly the green. There is simply no confidence or consistency to it.

Then there is my putting if I'm in the 4-10foot range then I'm fine. Under 4 feet I either push or pull the putt I don't have a consistent miss much like my bunker play ones as likely as the other. Then outside of 10 feet I do struggle for pace again as likely to run it 4 feet past or leave it 4 feet short of the hole. Our greens tend to be on the slower side and I have a very light putter so that's why I've toyed with the idea of a mallet type to give a bit more weight but wasn't sure if it would aid me in my cause so hence that question to.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:33 am

Hi Fader and welcome.
Congrats on getting your hadicap down so quickly

Sounds a bit like you need a new putter.

Try out an oddessy 2 ball or similar.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 am

The first thing to say is that you are doing very well. You haven't been playing long and already doing better than most people manage in a lifetime of golf.

There is a lot of technique involved in bunker play, so it's worth seeking advice from another pro if you aren't convinced you have the skill to improve that area of your game. However it's also worth noting that bunkers are different wherever you go, and the reason you aren't good in the sand may not be entirely your own fault. Bunkers, especially on municipal courses, tend to be inconsistent, have clay linings, not be well drained, with inconsistencies of sand and sand depth. So, just because you can't get out of your own bunkers doesn't mean that you couldn't play well in the bunkers at another course. So I'd suggest seeing another pro, where there are reasonable practice bunkers.

Putting - if you can get to 4 feet from long range, that's good. Your technique must be fairly sound. So it then comes down to practice. Although it's tedious and boring, an hour of putting from inside 6 feet will give you confidence to do it on the course. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you can't buy a substitute for practice. Especially at this time of year, there's no substitute for hitting it hard at the hole from short range - inside 4 feet say. There are so many bumps and worm casts and tine holes that anything trickling in is likely to be knocked off course. It was OK for Seve to trickle it into the front edge of the hole, but he didn't have to play on icy cold mornings in a howling gale after they'd tined the greens at Mudshire and District Municipal very often.

Last edited by George1507 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:41 am

Centre shafted putter?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:33 am

Pushing and pulling putts from such short distances sounds very much like you are using way too much tension in your putting stroke. You want to try and feel like you have very relaxed forearms and shoulders, all the time maintaining a nice light grip. That way the putter head will practically fall back on line of its own accord.

We are talking relaxed here and not floppy as a break down in the position of the left wrist can lead to all sorts of problems.

There is of course the old don’t look up until you hear the ball drop into the cup but I am not sure how useful this is.

PS. Welcome to the board, and great to hear you have found some joy during a tough time through playing golf. I am another who avoids the facebook and look forward to the day it crumbles.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:42 am

On putting, have a smooth and relaxed stroke and don't lift the putter head too far above the ground on your takeaway. Then practice a hell of a lot. Works for me Smile

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:55 am

Mac, it's a good point you raise about listening for the drop. In my opinion there is no point in raising your head at all as all that can happen is that it can affect the smoothness and line of your stroke. An exaggerated follow through on 12 feet and less also helps, gets the balls rolling, helps a smooth stroke and eliminates the stab.

There are those that say that it helps with line should you miss if you look. However I disagree because A) you shouldn't be concerned with missing and B) the putt will be dying by this point and will take a far different line from the next putt which will have a different pace as you putt it on the way back

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:13 am

Out of interest what is the advantage of a centre shafted putter?

Sounds like some good tips there, and I am going to commit to an hour a day on the practice area putting and seek out assistance with my technique from the sand.

I am going to invest in a new putter first though so it feels like a fresh start. I will look at the 2 ball putters out of interest, also i've heard the Odyssey Dart putters aid alignment has anyone used one of these.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:20 am

Centre shafted is less easy to open and close at impact.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:21 pm

If you're going to go for a centre shafted putter then don't get a two ball as the shaft placement will defeat the purpose of the two ball alignment aid.

I found switching to an oversize grip helped relax my hands when putting too. Best thing to do is try a load of different putters to find the one that gives you the most confidence.

Work on distance control by taking 3 or 4 balls and putt from various distances such as 30 feet, 50 feet and then 40 feet. Get used to grouping the balls tightly and then mix it up so you learn to trust yourself over the distance you're going to putt from. Practice this from different areas so you have uphill, downhill and sidehill putts. Then reduce it to 1 ball, mixing up the distances and directions and then putt out, this will give you that pressure feeling like out on the course. Putt from each direction and distance so you have at least 10 holes played out. Keep your total score and do this only once per session. Track this over your practice sessions to give yourself something to aim at and beat.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 pm

ping used to do pretty reasonable entry level putters at around £60-70 which were great quality. otherwise i'd have a good long mess around if spending any more on the likes of 2balls etc. its worth looking at the 2nd hand market for the odd bargain too. i spent a few seasons using a cleveland classic putter which had a similar look to the ping anser and scotty c, before buying the 'equivalent' ( Very Happy ) scotty which has been in the bag for 4 years and will stay until it starts to feel like its wearing out.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi -sympathize with the first bit !.
Sounds like you are doing fine but best course with bunkers is to avoid the things.If you can trust the short game sometimes pays to play away from the tight pins and be sure to miss the hazards.Playing many years off similar handicap I found the really good scores were when you get down in two consistently from long range and from missed greens.practice that and always putt out .I would go with the centre shafted putter to keep the putter square on the shorter ranges.Bunker wise the sand and conditions can vary as said earlier.need to commit to a full swing and make sure it gets out

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:13 pm

The main thing I have found with golf is that it comes down to how much you can play/practice. As with all sports there is no point in practising badly so I would recommend finding a pro who can at least go through the basics of bunker play and putting. Just practising will help but you might as well get the fundamentals right first then head off in the right direction.

I had a short game lesson a year ago and should have done it a long time ago. I thought I was OK but a pro was able to point out a few things that made a big difference. I have also had putting lessons. Quite a bit was changed in these, one of which included getting the putter shaft cut down so it fitted my stroke so the pro will probably be able to help you with what putter may work. I even had one lesson where he got me to putt while looking at the hole as he realised that I was getting so caught up in mechanics that I was ignoring the fundamentals of just getting the ball in the hole. I carried it on for a few months then went back to sorting out some basics again.

Often I find that I think I am doing something right but what I think I am doing and what is actually happening are two different things. This is where the pro is so much better than my mates watching me. The problem I have now is one of practice....

Well done getting down so quickly.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've today booked a series short game lessons for my bunker play and putting with a Pro from another course that from looking at it has exceptional short game facilities.

I have looked at the centre shaft putter options there doesn't seem to be many available from retailers in my area. I have come across on my browsing an Odyssey Backstrike putter, very odd looking thing but from what i've read designed to impart top spin and keep the face square. Rather than jumping in i've decided tp go to the pro on friday and see what he suggests as a good putter to use as I do want a new one but want to make sure whatever I choose is properly suited.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Fader; good to have you around and congrats on the handicap after such a short period.

As for putting, I would check everything else (and I do mean everything - alignment, stance, your ability to read a green etc etc) before getting a new putter. Golfers are terrible for blaming the arrows rather than the Indian! The best putters can putt with a dead twig. If you do have to get a new putter, try loads and don't be drawn in by big brands...necessarily. Go for what you like the look of, the feel of and which works. Practice...a lot! You might want someone you know to get you a decent book (by Dave Pelz, Bob Rotella or similar) to read - won't fix anything of themselves but they'll give you things to practice when you have the time to practice.

On bunker play, guess what? It's a lot of practice but I've found it's a lot to do with confidence as much as it's to do with technique. As for technique, the single thing I'd prioritise on a greenside bunker shot is you must complete a proper follow-through. If you thin it over the back or into the face of the bunker, so be it but you have to commit to the shot and follow through. A bit too much else to describe here maybe.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down