The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

your Wales team V Ireland

+9
Shifty
RubyGuby
majesticimperialman
SecretFly
BlueNote
Feckless Rogue
Knowsit17
bedfordwelsh
Pot Noodle Miner
13 posters

Go down

your Wales team V Ireland Empty your Wales team V Ireland

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:37 pm

so what would you're wales team be with Priestland, Roberts, Lydiate, AWJ, Charteris, Jenkins and Rees possibly all out injured?

i would go with:

1. James
2. Bennett
3. Jones
4. Davies
5. Evans
6. R.Jones
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Hook
11. North
12. Beck
13. Davies
14. HP
15. Byrne

16, Owens
17, Bevington
18, Shingler
19, Tipuric
20, Webb
21, Jones
22, Sc.Williams

i think if Wales win this game we're looking at challenging the title this year, if we lose then we're looking at 4th position, 3rd at best! because that just seems to be the way Wales have been over the last 6 or 7 years

Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

your Wales team V Ireland Empty Re: your Wales team V Ireland

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 01 Feb 2012, 3:51 pm

Miner,

I think you got it pretty much spot on there if all injured are out. Would Henson get a bench spot? Who knows, depends on how he went in Poand and this week I guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:13 pm

If all of the 'doubt' don't make it then my selection would hardly differ from yours. James in for Jenkins as he's the most tested and experienced option on offer, though I think Bevington should start one or two this year for the sake of developing strength in depth. Likewise with Ken Owens, though not both at once.

Ryan Jones can cover lock if needed and Shingler from the bench can cover lock and blindside. I could happily start Jones over Hook, the latter played well beating Ireland the first time last year but is equally capable of being a liability as we saw in NZ.

Beck has been playing excellently for a poor side, a lot will depend on whether he can step up as Wales can use him much more effectively than the Ospreys. Is it worth the gamble? Yes imo.

On the bench it's close between Webb and Lloyd Williams, good competition there. Maybe Cuthbert over Scott Williams.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:18 pm

Pot Noodle Miner wrote:i think if Wales win this game we're looking at challenging the title this year, if we lose then we're looking at 4th position, 3rd at best! because that just seems to be the way Wales have been over the last 6 or 7 years

Don't agree with that. Wales can recover from an early away defeat. Especially if injured players come back. A full strength Welsh team could set the tournament alight. In the 00's, Ireland often lost early to France, but recovered to challenge for title (normally finishing 2nd). Wales could do the same this time.

The first game is make or break for Ireland. A third defeat in a row to Wales followed by the inevitable defeat in Paris 6 days later would crush Irish hopes.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 4:29 pm

It's become tradition in the tournament for Wales that losing the opener generally signifies a disappointing finish. The one exception to this rule in recent years was 2009, after two decent wins the campaign fell apart somewhat. Beyond that it's been:

2005 - Win - Grand Slam
2006 - Lose - 5th
2007 - Lose - 5th
2008 - Win - Grand Slam
2010 - Lose - 4th
2011 - Lose - 4th

Though the RWC was definitely an improvement in this department, many including myself thought we couldn't have gotten into a better mindset than upsetting the then-champs first up. Despite the heartbreak then we turned out to be legitimate contenders anyway.

We need to harness our belief, ignore omens of injury and potential opening losses and develop a new consistency this decade, preferably before 2015, but unfortunately I still doubt the boys would an easy time shaking off losing the first game.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 01 Feb 2012, 5:07 pm

I'd have Owens in for Bennett, and I think I'd want the orange one on the bench. Possible outside call: I'd think of playing Warbs at 6 and Tipuric at 7, but probably that would just be too underpowered against the Irish back 3.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 01 Feb 2012, 5:22 pm

Blue,

That back row would never work especially against the Irish trio, why move our best player into a diff position to accomodate a talented but in experienced and untried new guy.

Jones is no Lydiate but he's been doing ok of late, I feel Henson might get a bench slot and if bennett can reproduce his WC form then we will be ok.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:12 pm

I'm sure there'll be a few remarkable Welsh recoveries now that Kidney has dealth his not-such-a-big-surprise hand.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

You're probably right about No. 6, Bedford.

I thought Bennett had one game in the world cup when he overcame his throwing probs, and then it got worse again.

That had crossed my mind too, Fly.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:46 pm

Pot Noodle Miner wrote:so what would you're wales team be with Priestland, Roberts, Lydiate, AWJ, Charteris, Jenkins and Rees possibly all out injured?

i would go with:

1. James
2. Bennett
3. Jones
4. Davies
5. Evans
6. R.Jones
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Hook
11. North
12. Beck
13. Davies
14. HP
15. Byrne

16, Owens
17, Bevington
18, Shingler
19, Tipuric
20, Webb
21, Jones
22, Sc.Williams

i think if Wales win this game we're looking at challenging the title this year, if we lose then we're looking at 4th position, 3rd at best! because that just seems to be the way Wales have been over the last 6 or 7 years

If, If Wales win this game it will be a miracle.

Especialy with all the injured players that Wales have, and also playing Hook at 10 for the first game is madness.

The first game of any tournament like the 6ns is the most important game. ....You need to win this one to set you on your way.

But like i said playing Hook at 10 for the first game is madness, he should be on the bench and Stephen Jones should be starting.

So 4th place again this year. possibly 3rd.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:48 pm

Wales can lose this and still win the next 4 - Before the injuries that looked the most obvious route IMO - I'm not that down about Sunday and still think we have a good chance thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:53 pm

15 Lee Bryne
14 Leigh Halfpenny
13 James Hook
12 Ashley Beck
11 George North
10 Stephen Jones
9 Dwayne Peel
8 Toby Faletau
7 Sam Warburton
6 Ryan Jones
5 Ian Evans
4 Bradley Davies
3 Adam Jones
2 Huw Bennett
1 Duncan Jones

16 Paul James
17 Richard Hibbard
18 Aaron Shingler
19 Justin Tipuric
20 Mike Phillips
21 Alex Cuthbert
22 Jonathan Davies

Looks a fairly weak team but I think it's the best we have.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:55 pm

1. James
2. Bennett
3. Jones
4. Davies
5. Evans
6. Shingler
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Hook
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Davies
14. HP
15. Byrne

16, Owens
17, Gill
18, Ryan J
19, Tipuric (not my choice)
20, Webb
21, Jones
22, Beck
thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:56 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
Pot Noodle Miner wrote:so what would you're wales team be with Priestland, Roberts, Lydiate, AWJ, Charteris, Jenkins and Rees possibly all out injured?

i would go with:

1. James
2. Bennett
3. Jones
4. Davies
5. Evans
6. R.Jones
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Hook
11. North
12. Beck
13. Davies
14. HP
15. Byrne

16, Owens
17, Bevington
18, Shingler
19, Tipuric
20, Webb
21, Jones
22, Sc.Williams

Especialy with all the injured players that Wales have, and also playing Hook at 10 for the first game is madness.

The first game of any tournament like the 6ns is the most important game. ....You need to win this one to set you on your way.

But like i said playing Hook at 10 for the first game is madness, he should be on the bench and Stephen Jones should be starting.

Except last time Hook started at ten for the opener of a 6 Nations game we won. Who was it again? Oh yes it was England away in Twiickenham.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:07 pm

Think Gatland is playing his joker here.At full strength to win in Dublin would have been an arm-wrestle.With our injuries it is goodnight Vienna.3 home games and The Drunkards at Twickers doesnt seem too bad a run in.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:

i would go with:

1. James
2. Bennett
3. Jones
4. Davies
5. Evans
6. R.Jones
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Hook
11. North
12. Beck
13. Davies
14. HP
15. Byrne

16, Owens
17, Bevington
18, Shingler
19, Tipuric
20, Webb
21, Jones
22, Sc.Williams

Except last time Hook started at ten for the opener of a 6 Nations game we won. Who was it again? Oh yes it was England away in Twiickenham.

That is not the point, alot has happend since the last time Hook played at 10 against England...The Rugby World Cup for a start, this is 2012, not 2011. Like you keep telling the English team/fans stop looking backward and concentrate on the modern day.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:39 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:

i would go with:

1. James
2. Bennett
3. Jones
4. Davies
5. Evans
6. R.Jones
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Hook
11. North
12. Beck
13. Davies
14. HP
15. Byrne

16, Owens
17, Bevington
18, Shingler
19, Tipuric
20, Webb
21, Jones
22, Sc.Williams

That is not the point, alot has happend since the last time Hook played at 10 against England...The Rugby World Cup for a start, this is 2012, not 2011. Like you keep telling the English team/fans stop looking backward and concentrate on the modern day.

Exactly, James Hook has been playing very well of late...! Much better than at the RWC

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Wed 01 Feb 2012, 8:59 pm

stephen jones to start PLEASE !!!!! HOOK IS STILL NOT PLAYING AS AN INTERNATIONAL 10 SHOULD. come on, look at the results for his team, getting the back line going? controlling? i agree with alyn, 13 and thats a big, big, maybe. Sorry, its bench at best.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:22 pm

AlynDavies wrote:15 Lee Bryne
14 Leigh Halfpenny
13 James Hook
12 Ashley Beck
11 George North
10 Stephen Jones
9 Dwayne Peel
8 Toby Faletau
7 Sam Warburton
6 Ryan Jones
5 Ian Evans
4 Bradley Davies
3 Adam Jones
2 Huw Bennett
1 Duncan Jones

16 Paul James
17 Richard Hibbard
18 Aaron Shingler
19 Justin Tipuric
20 Mike Phillips
21 Alex Cuthbert
22 Jonathan Davies

Looks a fairly weak team but I think it's the best we have.

Except you have three players who arent even in the squad, a loosehead who is behind Paul James and Bevvington at the Ospreys and a scrum half who has been nowhere near the team for two years. Hibbard would be a good call up but your living in the past on the other two. Wellies at 10 noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Would rather have Tovey or even Hook. Then you move Hook to 13 instead of jonathan Davies so a completely different ceentre pairing in a team already disrupted. This is 2012 not 2008. ridiculous selection.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:37 pm

i only agree with alyn on wellies at 10 and hook elsewhere, anywhere, further than anywhere!!!!

he was dreadfull in the world cup and has done absolutely nothing to warrant a place at 10.

it may be 'his preferred position ' but it doesnt mean he can play there.

rp no1, ( but thats not on now)wellies 2, we havent got much choice, but not hook !! his brother michael was always a better player than him. he's very lucky to be where he is now, very ,very lucky.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:41 pm

Lydiate and Roberts trained today, I havent seen anything on Priestland, Roberts and Phillips were out in cardiff earlier in nandos and he was fine. theres a few cryptic clues in twitter so I am at least very hopefull on two and news on Priestland yesterday was good so I think a lot of the wailing and gnashing of teeth is off the mark. If its only smiler and Geth out then we will still win.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down