The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HRT supports cutting grid to 10 teams

2 posters

Go down

HRT supports cutting grid to 10 teams Empty HRT supports cutting grid to 10 teams

Post by Slyboogy Sun 20 Mar 2011, 10:04 pm

HRT boss Colin Kolles supports Bernie Ecclestone's view that there should only be 10 teams in Formula One rather than 12.

Last year HRT, Lotus and Virgin joined the grid, but by mid-season Ecclestone was making them feel far from welcome.

"All we ever want is 10 teams," Ecclestone said. "Lotus is a good name, I wouldn't want to lose them. But in general this year has been a bit of a nuisance because it has cost money to keep these teams in."

Currently the top 10 teams split a pot of prize money made up from half of the sport's TV and sponsorship revenues, with a sliding scale so that the higher a team finishes the more it receives. The two teams finishing 11th - as HRT did last year - and 12th receive nothing from this prize fund.

But despite Ecclestone's thinly veiled attack on HRT, Kolles agrees that F1 would be better off losing a couple of outfits.

"I think that the sport worked very well with 10 teams," Kolles told reporters at the launch of HRT's new car. "If 10 teams are running it is much safer for the teams because obviously the money distribution is different - if there are 12 teams that distribution is different to 10 teams. This is the major factor from our point of view. If we were one of those 10 teams it would give us greater security and this is the primary factor for this, and it's healthier for the sport.

When asked if he thought HRT would feature in the top 10, Kolles said: "I think so yes. I think that others are more desperate than we are to be honest with you."

This is interesting...

Why did they try to bring in 4 new teams? It was obviously going to be a struggle especially with all the cost cutting etc.

And Kolles supporting this idea?? Does he see HRT being inside the top 20 this year? They might beat Virgin who seem poor. But that's all...

Slyboogy

Back to top Go down

HRT supports cutting grid to 10 teams Empty Re: HRT supports cutting grid to 10 teams

Post by Guest Sun 20 Mar 2011, 10:45 pm

so why dont they just split the cash between the 12 teams instead of the top 10. That seems the simple solution to me. But then again its Bernie we are dealing with. aka lets have fake rain on the track with a sprinkler system Shocked

Back to top Go down

HRT supports cutting grid to 10 teams Empty Re: HRT supports cutting grid to 10 teams

Post by Slyboogy Sun 20 Mar 2011, 11:20 pm

Y I Man wrote:so why dont they just split the cash between the 12 teams instead of the top 10. That seems the simple solution to me. But then again its Bernie we are dealing with. aka lets have fake rain on the track with a sprinkler system Shocked

But why should you get something for finishing last? Erm

Slyboogy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Mar 2011, 11:27 pm

Consolation prize?
In all seriousness though, there is money in the sport and this would help the lower teams. Otherwise why participate as they know they are off the pace and will lose out financially. So why bother competing?

I think the cash should be spread between all teams taking part in F1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Slyboogy Sun 20 Mar 2011, 11:28 pm

You get no prizes for finishing last...

But if they want the new teams to progress then right now they should give them money, but later on when they are established, whoever finishes last really shouldn't...

Slyboogy

Back to top Go down

Post by cosicave Mon 21 Mar 2011, 8:48 pm

I do not agree with 'Prize money' being awarded simply for turning up, regardless of the sport. The whole concept of it makes a mockery of the point of competition.

Prize money (not another type of financial help) is a reward for achievement in the face of competition. This certainly does not include coming last in a race or at the end of the season.

However, Bernie's allocation of funds and his influence on the governing body (and its allocation of funds) has always been questionable to say the least. - Always paying the wealthiest team the biggest slice of the prize fund with its extra 'Special Payment' was a disgrace from the outset; little short of paying a ransom to a black-mailer.

©
cosicave
cosicave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down