The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prizefighter - Adil Anwar

Go down

Prizefighter - Adil Anwar Empty Prizefighter - Adil Anwar

Post by thecornerstool Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:53 pm

I did a little interview with prizefighter contestant Adil Anwar this week.

Check it out.

This coming Saturday (11th feb) brings the light welterweight edition of Matchroom Sports’ Prizefighter competition to the Civic Hall in Wolverhampton. The usual contrast of experience and new talent clashes again in what could be the best prizefighter tournament yet. I caught up with the recently crowned English welterweight title holder Adil Anwar to see how he is shaping up for the big night.

Your last fight saw you beat James Flinn for the English title. How did that feel and what doors are hoping to open from it?
Beating James flinn was a fantastic opportunity for me to show people that even at 4 days notice I can step up to a challenge, take on a risk, and finish on top. Flinn was a worthy challenger for the title fight but on the night, I outclassed him and the English welterweight title belonged to me from go. Doors have opened since. Challenges have since come my way in the form of arrogant remarks. I find it really pathetic how some boxers have challenged me since I took the English title only because they want some publicity. The light welterweight division knew what I was capable of. Although it didn’t surprise me when my previous challenges to the likes of Lenny Daws and Curtis Woodhouse were avoided, what did surprise me is how the worms came out the woodwork to challenge me since rising and taking the English title. It just goes to show the attitude of boxers these days. Granted we all want to rise and improve our careers but we are also entertainers, and we should be embracing challenges for the entertainment of our fans.

It is an impressive lineup and Eddie Hearn has said this is his best lineup for a prizefighter yet. What are your opinions of the opposition on the night?
I have studied my opponents no more than I need to. The explosive nature of Prizefighter means that most boxers will be taken out of their comfort zone where they may be used to enhancing or tweaking their style to match their opponent over many rounds. With only 3 rounds of 3 minutes, each boxer knows they have little time to try and box. It’s a case of applying raw pressure and speed at a pace that will dazzle the opponent. That’s what I am used to.

How have you had to adapt your training for prizefighter?
Very little. My explosive nature combined with my ability to target and exploit my opponents weaknesses lends itself to the style my trainer Mark Bateson has inherited to me. The short nature of each fight means I have less time to make a show of the opponent. That’s what I like to do. Unlike other boxers, more rounds do not give me more time to learn my opponent, instead, I just have more time to entertain the crowd with a dazzling performance.

What would you say were the main attributes you have that suit the prizefighter structure?
Speed, strength and power combined with a quick eye to exploit my opponents weakness. My tools are razor sharp right now and I’m getting very good feedback from my trainers and sparring partners.

If the draw goes right, there is the potential for an all West Yorkshire final with you and Tyrone Nurse. There is a lot of young potential in the area at the moment. Other than yourself who else do you see coming through in the next few years?
Jack Bateson son of my trainer Mark Bateson. He has just entered the GB team and is creating a whirlwind storm right now. He is fast developing and will surely dominate the professional scene in the near future.

What are your plans for 2012 post prizefighter and who would be your dream opponent?
A British title followed by a string of international fights. I have challenged Ashley Theophane before and I respect that he may not be ready for me. He will probably take an easy opponent to secure the title outright but I am following him fast, and post prizefighter he will have very little excuse to turn my challenge down. The British title belongs to me. He has had enough time dusting it in his bedroom. I want it now, and I will take it in 2012.

Adil will be amongst the favourites of what is a very good lineup and there is no doubt that the eventual winner will have to work for the £32,000 prize money. The 8 contestants are as below:-

Adil Anwar (13- 1 – 7 KOs) – current English welterweight title holder.

Tyrone Nurse (20 – 0 – 3 KOs)

Mark Lloyd (15 – 4 – 3 KOs)

Young Mutley ( 29 -6 – 14 KOs)

Dale Miles (12 – 0 - 9 KOs)

Barry Morrison (19 – 5 – 8 KOs) – former British light welterweight title holder.

Dean Harrison (16 – 6 – 5 KOs)

John Watson (13 – 2 – 5 KOs)

Coverage is live on Sky Sports.

http://www.thecornerstool.co.uk

thecornerstool

Back to top Go down