The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long can the Scarlets keep North?

+5
Welshmushroom
CurlyOsp
Coleman
ScarletSpiderman
gnollbeast
9 posters

Go down

How long can the Scarlets keep North? Empty How long can the Scarlets keep North?

Post by gnollbeast Tue 07 Feb 2012, 09:42

If George North continues his meteoric rise I really don't think he will be able to see out his contract at the Scarlets. He is a very level headed, honest and mature guy and I'm sure he wants to stay there even as a token of appreciation for bringing him to the main stage. However, I don't think the Scarlets or North will be able to refuse some of the big money offers that will come their way. It is quite rare that you get someone that big, that quick and that young that also has the skill to go with it.

These are a list of clubs that I think will try to poach him between now and when his current contract ends.

Toulon
Ospreys (lower wage bill without Henson, Byrne, Hook and Phillips, but also a better replacement for the pending Bowe departure)
Saracens (can already see them drooling over Ashton and North as their wings) they can offload Strettle if need be
Toulouse
Stade Francais

With the state regional rugby is currently in, there is no way that Welsh clubs can keep all their rising stars once they flourish. Would someone like North rather join a Heineken Cup winning team or play in Wales in front of an average crowd of 6/7k each week?

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

How long can the Scarlets keep North? Empty Re: How long can the Scarlets keep North?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Feb 2012, 15:40

Gnoll - the average crowd George plays in front of is 8k+, and it is a higher average gate than at least one of the poachers on your list. Also the Scarlets are seeming to be improving season upon season. And at the moment are in the knock out stages in the Amlin, and LV=, as well as one place off the Rabo playoffs. So maybe he could be pushing for silverware in a young side (with a growing number of Welsh internationals), whilst still being right under the nose of the national coach.

ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

How long can the Scarlets keep North? Empty Re: How long can the Scarlets keep North?

Post by Coleman Tue 07 Feb 2012, 15:46

I believe that he will take one more contract with the Scarlets, he'll pretty much take the wage space that Wellies moving/retiring will leave open. After that contract, he may start thinking of a move. At that period in his development France may be the best place for him. Who knows.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Tue 07 Feb 2012, 15:55

The Scarlets style is perfect for North, don't think he'll be looking to go too far (if anywhere) any time soon.

If he does go, he'll stay in the Rabo, Ospreys would ruin him, only team i could see suiting him with more money than the Scarlets is Leinster. Irelands long awaited revenge for taking Bowe prehaps?

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 07 Feb 2012, 16:02

Not sure why he would move away from the Scarlets or Wales. He is getting rested and looked after at the Scarlets. If he goes anywhere else he might get twice the money but he will probably end up playing twice as many games a season, which long term will impact his longevity. So it swings in round abouts.

Loads of people touted Adam Jones heading out of Wales but he just signed a 2 Year Contract with the Ospreys so if we can manage to keep him in Wales I'm sure North won't be a problem (given that Tightheads & Fly Halves will always be paid the most).

Also it's not like the players listed have gone for the money.

Hook wasn't happy playing everywhere except Fly Half. He is a Ospreys lad and was never going to sign for another Region. France therefore was probably is only logical move to get gametime at Fly Half.

Phillips was getting rubbish media in Wales and stick from the public. His move was less about the money and more about him getting away from the media spotlight on him.

Charteris and Byrne - Both looking at the last big contracts have gone for the pay day.

I can't see North changing anything if he stays successful at International Level.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 07 Feb 2012, 16:06

I hope he moves to England or France. Playing in the Mickey Mouse 'Pro 12' every week will not do his progress any favours. Added to the fact that Scarlets will never achieve any great heights in the Heineken Cup...a move to a big club makes sense career and financial wise. Good luck to him as well OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 16:23

Steffan

Not like you to post in a rugby board. I don't see the logic there to be honest being as his progress in the 'Mickey Mouse' pro 12 so far has been fairly good. Can't see what would stop that upward curve other than injury etc...

Scarlets are also on an upward curve so don't be too sure...it may take a while but we'll get there
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 07 Feb 2012, 16:34

mckay1402 wrote:Steffan

Not like you to post in a rugby board. I don't see the logic there to be honest being as his progress in the 'Mickey Mouse' pro 12 so far has been fairly good. Can't see what would stop that upward curve other than injury etc...

Scarlets are also on an upward curve so don't be too sure...it may take a while but we'll get there

Boxing board is quiet so I thought id give the rugger bugger boys a visit Very Happy

The Scarlets are ok for now but I would love to see North sign for a much bigger team with better ambition

The Scarlets are ok for a tick along side but that boy needs to be playing with and against the best

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Tue 07 Feb 2012, 16:43

How is this "micky Mouse" league and the teams within it ever going to improve if their best players are being urged to move away?

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 07 Feb 2012, 16:59

CurlyOsp wrote:How is this "micky Mouse" league and the teams within it ever going to improve if their best players are being urged to move away?

So what if North moves away to England and France

Im sure there is a youngster coming through who can take his place and also aspire to do just as well. Im all for raising the bar

Thats the problem with the Pro12 in Wales (one of the many). We dont use it to blood enough players

Id have 22 Welshman playing in each region every week if I had my way

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 07 Feb 2012, 17:45

North leaving now would ruin his career, he needs to stay at the Scarlets for at least the next 6-7 seasons, before going to France for 2-3 years and then coming back home in the way Gareth Thomas and Stephen Jones did.

Show loyalty, and then build your value up, before starting the dutch auction. I hope he has an agent who's main concern is looking out for North's interests.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 07 Feb 2012, 22:24

How did Leinster keep O'Driscoll for his whole career? They made him Leinsters highest paid player. Still not as much as the French were offering him. They also convinced him that he was better off in the long run being looked after at his own province, and that a winning team would be built around him.

Ireland also have the tax rebate, which helped. I hope Scarlets keep all their best young players and build a HEC winning team around them. Would be brilliant for Welsh rugby.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 07 Feb 2012, 22:31

All the best Welsh players will go to France or England in the years to follow

Better wages and more meaningfull matches

Along with packed crowds and fantastic atmospheres which is something Welsh rugby will never see again under the current regional setup with their plastic, soulless half empty stadiums

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 17:22

AlynDavies wrote:North leaving now would ruin his career, he needs to stay at the Scarlets for at least the next 6-7 seasons, before going to France for 2-3 years and then coming back home in the way Gareth Thomas and Stephen Jones did.

Show loyalty, and then build your value up, before starting the dutch auction. I hope he has an agent who's main concern is looking out for North's interests.

Spot on Alyn, and I'm pretty sure this is what Georgie is planning. There was an article on him a few months back in the independent where he even stated then that he can't see himself moving anywehre for the next 4-5 years at least.

I can see us getting at least one contract extension out of him at the Scarlets. (or I really hope so anyways!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 08 Feb 2012, 17:48

rugbydreamer wrote:Spot on Alyn, and I'm pretty sure this is what Georgie is planning. There was an article on him a few months back in the independent where he even stated then that he can't see himself moving anywehre for the next 4-5 years at least.

I can see us getting at least one contract extension out of him at the Scarlets. (or I really hope so anyways!)

I dont think he will leave, to be honest he comes across as pretty nice and level headed you can look forward to a good few years of North-Mania yet!

And we Ospreys can look forward to figuring out how to stop the beast... steam
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 17:52

hahah I would say ask Andrew Bishop, but then I'm pretty sure Georgie's already run over him this season Whistle Very Happy

Was so pleased for him on Sunday really. He's not been in great form for the Scarlets recently, you can see he's been trying too hard, so am glad it just all clicked for him on the weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down