The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Novak Djokovic: I Dare To Dream

+4
barrystar
legendkillar
Josiah Maiestas
noleisthebest
8 posters

Go down

Novak Djokovic: I Dare To Dream Empty Novak Djokovic: I Dare To Dream

Post by noleisthebest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:42 am

Novak Djokovic won the Laureus Sportsman of the year award last night.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/02/Features/Djokovic-Dreams-Of-Roland-Garros-Olympics.aspx

As a fan who has closely followed his career with love for many years, at the end of 2011, I genuinely thought that 2012 at best could only repeat 2011.
Even on the eve of the AO final, I thought, OK, been there, done that. Nice. I kind of almost worried about myself at the lack of motivation and inspiration for another huge year.

When you've achieved something great it's natural to be a bit cautious wondering if you could do it again and how you would be feeling the second time.

I suppose THAT colossal win only a week ago now, must have answered all those questions for Nole, and not only has it answered them but has now propelled him to outshine and outachieve 2011.

For in 2010, 2011 was just a dream.

The Dream then came true. And what do you do when dreams come true?

That is a difficult one, for few have had the luxury of having the dilemma.

Well, Nole has answered the question IN STYLE: you continue to dream, and not only that, you DARE to dream.

And may I say, there is a lot to dare, for the tasks ahead are formidable: the next 6 months may rewrite men's tennis history: five masters series events, 2 slams, Olympics, 2 Wimbledons.... all that in the arguably strongest era in men's tennis.

Nole, you have shown the world time and time again you have the heart of gold and the character of titanium steel.

Those who love you know you are a Dreamer.

Go Nole, Dream and Dare.

For we all know that he who dares.....wins.

GO NOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Yahoo

Last edited by noleisthebest on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Novak Djokovic: I Dare To Dream Empty Re: Novak Djokovic: I Dare To Dream

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:55 am

No matter how hopeless, no matter how far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB_1gPRCLCo
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:56 am

I simply just admire the passion you have for the guy. Normally people would pick chunks out of such an article just for the sake of disagreeing with another poster. The next 6 months are that of intrigue and excitement. I am sure there are some fans of tennis that will bellow "Nadal is not fit" or "Federer is not at his best"

2011 was a stunning year for Nole. I think more the way he went about his business he just went out on the attack and was rewarded for such gallient play and mindset.

2012 I have seen something different. This isn't a dampener. This is me seeing that his mindset would be to 'defend' what he achieved last year. The AO Final to some yes was a great spectacle. As Nole fan I would be concerned because it was really a case of who would go for the high risk play and get burnt and for Nadal it was him who got burnt the most. For once in recent memory Nadal looked to have closed the gap between them and that doing that when he has said he isn't 100% is scary. Last year Novak ripped him to shreds and this year their rivalry has started quite cagey. I am hoping we will see it blossom into a true slugfest western shoot out come Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

If Murray had won the AO the way Nole did, I admit I would be dismayed in the manner of it, but by the same token applaude the steel physically required to stand up to such a gruelling match. I am certain that the Nole of 2011 would've taken that match out in 4.

What I do ask is whether Nole will go for higher risk strategies come the Clay as I can't see a defensive mindset and tactics will help him peak at the right times during the season and given the lure of Olympic Gold makes it more imperative that he does not adopt a low risk strategy for 2012.

All in all, well done that man for sure.

king

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:No matter how hopeless, no matter how far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB_1gPRCLCo

very retro, yet very nice Very Happy ....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

It is also fair to note that he benefits from seeing where the bar has been set by Federer and Nadal before him. He knows that it is possible, even de rigeur if you want to be thought of as an all-time great, to become a hardy perennial slam-winning machine. He showed through 2011 that he had got his mind into that uncluttered state of confidence in his own abilities so that he does not need to worry other than constructively about what his opponents may throw at him.

A very great achievement and, like you, for me his showing in the Aus Open has seemingly answered a lot of questions. If he can keep fit there's every reason for his fans to believe that 2012 can be more of the same, although he may concentrate more on the slams than 2011.

As I see it the main threat to him is if Murray can make a step up - neither Nadal nor Federer are likely to move on from their current state of being able to push him very hard and, in the case of Federer, even beat him in the odd match.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:02 am

"As Nole fan I would be concerned because it was really a case of who would go for the high risk play and get burnt and for Nadal it was him who got burnt the most."

That's the beauty of being a Nole fan...we are all Dreamers...and when you dream you don't look back, in your mind's eye, you're a million miles ahead Very Happy

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:09 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFHbwikzNds

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:14 am

legendkillar wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFHbwikzNds

Here's another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V57lotnKGF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-BXzifkxsk

To all Dreamers Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:53 am

He is a very engaging guy, I love his game and he really is leading the charge for the sport right now.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm

Yep his off court game is largely underrated which probably annoys me most as he blatantly shows more personality than the others yet some how gets left in their shadows. There's a lot I like about his on court game and would be happy to see him lead tennis back from the physical state it's in now to the more aggressive style I remember him playing with. If he can keep this level for a couple more years he may be able to double his slam count and then some.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:14 pm

Break in the fifth, he keeps working on his game and has improved and chaged a lot over the years. I don't think he will be underrated for long. People love a winner and he speaks great english and has plenty of charisma. This laureus award can only raise his profile.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:19 pm

I think so too, it's just frustratingly slow. People who aren't proper fans of tennis don't even know who he is. At least that was the case not too long ago.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm

Novak will never get the press attention he's entitled to due to the US and UK's stance on Serbia, the press were always bumchums with the Spanish in particular which is why they choose to make excuses for Nadal than focus on what Novak has been doing!!!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:40 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Novak will never get the press attention he's entitled to due to the US and UK's stance on Serbia, the press were always bumchums with the Spanish in particular which is why they choose to make excuses for Nadal than focus on what Novak has been doing!!!

I reckon they'll change their tune soon music

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:13 pm

One step at a time. If he were "only" to win this years French Open from here on, he would have achieved the holy grail of holding all four GS titles at the same time - against what has been recognised as the greatest clay court player of all time (possibly).

I think Novaks visible on-court recognition and applause of an opponents shot (when it is an exceptional winner) is commendable.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:32 pm

Nore Staat wrote:One step at a time. If he were "only" to win this years French Open from here on, he would have achieved the holy grail of holding all four GS titles at the same time - against what has been recognised as the greatest clay court player of all time (possibly).

I think Novaks visible on-court recognition and applause of an opponents shot (when it is an exceptional winner) is commendable.

Say if (and it is "if" so don't get too excited noleisthebest) Djokovic were to win the FO. What do you think people would talk about? I suspect it would be Nadal.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:56 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:One step at a time. If he were "only" to win this years French Open from here on, he would have achieved the holy grail of holding all four GS titles at the same time - against what has been recognised as the greatest clay court player of all time (possibly).

Say if (and it is "if" so don't get too excited noleisthebest) Djokovic were to win the FO. What do you think people would talk about? I suspect it would be Nadal.

Why Nadal?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:26 pm

Already talk of the "golden slam" that Graf achieved in 1988 Olympic year. Twould be a remarkable achievement, as would the four-in-a-row, all-on-the-mantlepiece-at-once GS record.
The tricky one - and this did for Fed year after year - is the French, where I think Rafa is practically unbeatable.
What ought to be considered is a scenario where Rafa and Nole so wear themselves out that they've nothing left for the French, although surely both will save themselves for the really big tourneys. Wonder what odds you'd get on NEITHER of them making the RG final? Don't expect me to put any money on it !

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:30 pm

Nadal has to win this FO or hope someone can beat Novak for him, if Novak wins this slam I think it's obvious he will end up overtaking Nadal as number 2 of the Fed era.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:40 pm

Hold your horses, JM. Djoko is having a stellar time and a French win will give him somthing that neither Rafa nor Rog have got (all four at once). But it would still only take him to six GS and he still has plenty of weeks to go to even overtake Rafa's number one total.
We're only gonna be able to judge the big four or big three era when it's over. After all, Fed could - although probably won't - finish third in GS behind both Rafa and Nole if those two swap and share the big prizes over the next five years.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down