The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has McLaren got it wrong?

4 posters

Go down

Has McLaren got it wrong? Empty Has McLaren got it wrong?

Post by laughinggasman Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:13 pm

Looking at photos on the autosport website of today's first test it seems that McLaren is the only one (of the front runners at least) without one of those silly looking new "stepped" noses.

Do they know something that the rest don't? Or has McLaren got it wrong and will start the season on the back foot yet again. I don't hold much store with the lap times on the opening day but it will be interesting to see how this develops.

I certainly hope that McLaren/Ferrari are more competitive this year, I couldn't stick another year of German domination, nice guy though Vettel is.

laughinggasman

Back to top Go down

Has McLaren got it wrong? Empty Re: Has McLaren got it wrong?

Post by Critical_mass Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

It a bit early to say yet /thread tbh (ive jumped the gun once already)

After reading some articles, Mclaren have been building there cars with a low nose and chassis since 2009. So when the regs changed, Mclaren were already there. Where as the other teams needed to come up with a solution.

Isnt it funny how all the other teams come up with the same solution - and not jsut for this season.

Though i agree, it could go either way. But would Mclaren after all these years get it so wrong? [thinks 2009] maybe we dont know yet.

If im honest, im a bit nervous. Im hoping Mclaren have something up their sleeve, they do imply that is the case. But its all smoke and mirrors at this stage - they could be winging it. I sincerely hope not.

Mclaren and even Ferrari have to have a really good season this year, im not saying they MUST win either the constructors or WDC but be in the running until the end.

Some things suggest that, as the RB was designed and improved around the double diffuser they could be the biggest loser this season. We just dont know and testing doesnt give any real indication.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:09 pm

Critical_mass is correct. There has been a certain amount of anxiety among fans of McLaren that their car is the only one so far not to feature a stepped 'platypus' nose. The lower nose regulation was originally planned for 2011, but was delayed by a year. McLaren built their 2011 chassis and crash structure to conform to the stepped nose regs and were effectively running it all last year - which would make McLaren months ahead of their rivals in optimising the aerodynamics of the new rules.

Red Bull chief technical officer Adrian Newey has been asked about McLaren's decision not to have a 'ramp' in the nose of their car - the only 2012 machine so far not to have one. He said: 'They have over the last few years pursued a lower nose and chassis direction compared to ourselves and many others, so to continue that direction they didn't have to put a step in it, whereas those who've been high nose did.

To put it simply, people are taking too much notice of the stepnoses. The majority of F1 experts agree that it is the configuration of the exhaust system that is the major point of debate and will almost certainly be a defining factor in who is competitive and who isnt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:19 pm

And Mclarens exhaust system looked pretty good.

Im intregued by the slit in the front of the RB wing. Should we believe that its purely for cool air being directed to the driver. Could it possibly for aero performance?? Isnt it just like a F-duct, if so will could it be banned and if not could Mclaren and others bring back their F-ducts?

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:36 pm

I personally dont believe McLaren have got it wrong. Jenson Button MBE was very happy after the first test session. Very happy indeed. I think McLaren have a very good chance this year. The body language in the team appears very bouncy and happy.

I think Red Bulls domination is over. The only asset they have is the apparent flexible wings. I am sure other teams will have been experimenting with different carbon fibre weaves to replicate Red Bulls main advantage.

IF they have got it wrong I fear for Martin Whitmash's job. Not only that, I would not expect Lewis Hamilton to extend his stay at Mclaren. There is a lot more to loose at McLaren this year than the title.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:50 pm

Yup they NEED and MUST have a successful season this year.

I hope youre right about RB domination.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:04 pm

John pretty much nailed this issue with his quote from Adrian Newey.

If McLaren aren't beating RB and Ferrari this season, it won't be because of their non-stepped nose. Aero packages (as usual) and exhaust configurations will be the deciding factors.

Below are some results from Day 3 of testing at Jerez, which I pulled from the BBC website:

1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes* 1:17.613 - 114 laps.

2. Romain Grosjean Lotus 1:18.419 - 103.

3. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1:19.297 - 79.

4. Lewis Hamilton McLaren 1:19.464 - 69.

5. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso 1:19.734 - 77.

6. Sergio Perez Sauber 1:19.770 - 37.

7. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:20.412 - 56.

8. Bruno Senna Williams 1:21.293 - 105.

9. Giedo van der Garde Caterham 1:23.324 - 70.

*2011 car.

So from that we can infer last year's Mercedes is considerably quicker than this season's cars...even 1.5 seconds quicker than Vettel in a 2012 Red Bull.

Is it just me or is anyone else puzzled as to why Mercedes are spending so much time running their old car? I've heard they've got a clever new front wing, but that they are keeping it under wraps for now.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:07 pm

Yeah i heard they have a complex new front wing and the car is in the wind tunnel today so they've spending their time on tyre testing. Though, how much will they learn with the new tyres on their old car... i mean could it provide false data?

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down