The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex Corbisiero - World Cup Bolter

+2
HammerofThunor
Ozzy3213
6 posters

Go down

Alex Corbisiero - World Cup Bolter Empty Alex Corbisiero - World Cup Bolter

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 29 Jan 2011, 10:58 am

I think that is fair to say, that barring a disastrous showing in the 6 Nations or a serious injury, Andew Sheridan will be England's first choice loosehead at the World Cup later this year.

Behind him, it would appear that Tim Payne is the second choice, although many, myself included, do not see him as being an international class player.

Since the 1st January, Alex Corbisiero has had a run in the London Irish number 1 shirt, and has looked the real deal in every game. His ball carrying and general play in the loose has never been in question, but eyebrows have been raised about his scrummaging ability in some quarters. Over the course of this month, he has packed down up against Dave Wilson (England's 2nd choice tighthead), Carlos Nieto (experienced Italian international), Adam Jones (British and Irish Lion) and John Hayes (British and Irish Lion).

Against Bath he demolished Wilson, held his own against Nieto, got the better of Jones, and against Hayes appeared to be very much on top, although the refereeing of the scrum was so poor it is a little bit difficult to judge.

He should take his place in the Saxons side this weekend, which gives him a great opportunity to show Martin Johnson exactly what he can do, and I genuinely believe that if he continues to the end of the season in his current form, then he has a real chance of making the World Cup squad.

Very interested to hear others views on him and his chances of earning a call up.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Alex Corbisiero - World Cup Bolter Empty Re: Alex Corbisiero - World Cup Bolter

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 29 Jan 2011, 2:31 pm

It's difficult to say. I don't think Payne is that bad. He's good enough for international play (did fine against A Jones last year). But he is back up. Usually they take 5 props don't they? Maybe 6. If Corbisiero does well for the Saxons and is a regular starter for Irish I can see him at least being involved with the warm up matches.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 30 Jan 2011, 10:41 pm

I thought he did okay against Italy A who if nothing else had a good front five. If the popular opinion on Lee Mears is to be believed the Saxons props had to compensate for his lack of power in the scrum which may be a further commendation.

I think when you posted the article on 606 you said that you saw Corbisiero as a TH and it would seem the England management agree. Is he likely to get more time there for London Irish?

If this happens and he keeps playing well for the Saxons I don’t think it is an exaggeration to say that he and Marler could renew their partnership for the first England team.

As for the world cup, the one thing you can be sure of as an England fan is that there will be injuries between now and then. Corbisiero’s ability to play both sides of the scrum should stand him in good stead. Personally I would have him in the squad now over Tim Payne.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by chewy200 Mon 31 Jan 2011, 5:44 pm

I think MJ will stick with Payne, largely to avoid the risk of going into a WC with a prop who is something of an unknown quantity at international level, even if his displays at GP / HC level have been convincing. Corbisiero, along with Dorn-Jones and Marler, are players for the future, for rebuilding after the WC, and I think MJ will stick with what he knows for the time being.

chewy200

Back to top Go down

Alex Corbisiero - World Cup Bolter Empty Alex Corbisiero - World Cup Bolter

Post by ospreylian Sat 12 Feb 2011, 12:04 pm

PETE,

YOU ARE SO ON THE BUTTON THERE I NOW FEEL REALLY INTIMIDATED, DARE I EVER DISAGREE WITH YOU? :shooter:

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by JJB Fri 04 Mar 2011, 10:14 am

I doubt Payne will ever play for England again. Did anyone else hear them talking about in on Rugby Club last night? Big change in the way MJ covers fro injury. Before he used to see it as stop-gap time; someone to fill in until the guy is back from injury. Now it seems to be used as the perfect excuse to bring through someone who might not otherwise get a shot and have a look at them. I suppose it's easier to take risks when your team's winning, but I genuinely think Johnson has permanently changed the way he manages, and for the best.

JJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down