The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The heavyweight version of Hagler v Hearns

+5
88Chris05
HumanWindmill
Rowley
Union Cane
Adam D
9 posters

Go down

The heavyweight version of Hagler v Hearns Empty The heavyweight version of Hagler v Hearns

Post by Adam D Thu 9 Feb - 11:44

I think we can all remember that hyperbolic statement by Mick Hennessey following Tyson Fury's last fight.

One of the questions that was posed to Frank Maloney this week was about this statement and what he thought the real answer was (his response didn't involve Tyson Fury for the record). http://v2journal.com/frank-maloney-speaks.html

His answer was Bowe vs Holyfield I and Ali vs Frazier I

I am certainly in agreement with those two suggestions but it got me thinking if there were any other fights that could live up to that billing (I thought Bowe v Evander II was equally as good). So my questions is - what do you think is worthy of this moniker?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The heavyweight version of Hagler v Hearns Empty Re: The heavyweight version of Hagler v Hearns

Post by Union Cane Thu 9 Feb - 11:47

It has to be Foreman vs Lyle from 1976

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KfeAFakak

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

The heavyweight version of Hagler v Hearns Empty Re: The heavyweight version of Hagler v Hearns

Post by Rowley Thu 9 Feb - 11:49

For me would go for Dempsey Firpo, got to remember Hagler Hearns was a short fight of unbelievable ferocity, as such Dempsey Dirpo fits the bill about perfectly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 9 Feb - 11:56

I'd also plump for Dempsey v Firpo because Firpo, like Hearns, actually did have his moments against Dempsey. In the end it was an annihilation, but it wasn't all plain sailing by any means.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 9 Feb - 11:59

Just remembered the Sonny Liston v Cleveland Williams fights, which would also not be shamed in this company.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 9 Feb - 12:05

Jack Dempsey vs Luis Firpo. Sept. 24, 1923 Polo Grounds.

Result: Dempsey KO 2.

Eleven knockdowns in 3:57!!!! Few fights could match the drama and excitement of this one. At the opening bell a charging rhino named Luis Firpo rushed at Dempsey with one purpose to pound his man out of the ring! Firpo smashed Dempsey with a powering right to the jaw that buckled the champions knees! Dempsey was stunned and forced to clinch. The champion then retaliated with a flurry of savage blows that dropped Firpo to the canvas. He arose but a classic Dempsey combination -devastating right to the heart and a crushing left hook to the jaw -put Firpo down again. After a third consecutive knockdown Firpo was on his back rolling around and barely beat the count. In a modern ring the fight probabably would have been stoped at this point. Dempsey, a murderous puncher, kept up the assault dropping his man five times by the middle of round one! Suddenly, the "Wild Bull of the Pampas" was back in the fight. A wild, but dangerous roundhouse right found its mark on Dempsey's jaw. Dempsey's touches the canvas for a quick one count. The crowd was on its feet screaming. Firpo moved in to finish the wounded champion, but he left himself open as he did, and Dempsey unleashed a terrific, perhaps desperate, counter shot. Firpo was down again. After the 8th knockdown of Firpo in the opening round Luis rose from the canvas and fired a cannon like right to the jaw that knocked Dempsey clear through the ropes and out of the ring!! Jack landed upon the stunned laps of the ringside reporters who literally shoved him back into the ring. Though still groggy Dempsey floored the bewildered Firpo with a crushing right to the head. Amazingly Firpo rose from the canvas yet again. The bell ended futher assaults by either man. It was the end of the most thrilling round in heavyweight history. As Dempsey recovered between rounds he asked Kearns "what round was I knocked out." Kearns told him, "The fight is still on now get in there." In the second round Firpo again attacked the champion hoping to catch him with another wild swing. This time Dempsey was ready for him. Dempsey bobbed and weaved, slipping and blocking his opponents amateurish punches. Dempsey seizing an opening ripped home a sizzling uppercut that violently snapped Firpos head back. Firpo was down again, blood was spewing from his mouth and he was twitching horrifically on the canvas. Somehow, this courageous challenger once again struggled to his feet. Mercilessly, Jack Dempsey, moved in for the kill. Another pulverizing right lifted the bigger and stronger man off the canvas. Timber! It was all over. Luis Firpo was counted out in the most action packed heavyweight slugfest of all time.

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/10heavyweight.html

DEMPSEY VS. FIRPO (VIDEO):

Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 9 Feb - 12:07

Windy has beaten me to it, but Liston-Williams I was a superb Heavyweight shootout.

In terms of short, snarling fights with twelve-rounds worth of action packed in to far fewer, then Cooper-Holyfield and Briggs-Lewis are decent candidates from more recent times.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 9 Feb - 12:13

Michael Moorer Vs Bert Cooper

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 9 Feb - 16:12

Cooper's been in plenty of wars, I saw him vs Mercer for the first time last night. It was too long to be included here but pure war throughout.

No shouts for James Toney v John Ruiz?

Hows about one of the Patterson v Johanson knockdown fests?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 9 Feb - 16:16

Moorer v Cooper as j.benson has mentioned great slug fest.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 9 Feb - 16:17

Also check out Cooper v Mercer for the nhbf title or something like that.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 9 Feb - 16:18

Morrison v Rudduck

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 9 Feb - 16:19

Lewis v Mercer

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 9 Feb - 16:20

Frazier v Quarry

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 9 Feb - 16:21

Bowe v Holyfield

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 9 Feb - 16:22

Lewis Grant? Started off with a grant banger then one way traffic from there on in.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 9 Feb - 16:26

Hamed v Kelley

Wink
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down