The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bowden and Thompstone to Leicester

+6
Londonirishollie
B91212
formerly known as Sam
HongKongCherry
Ozzy3213
killer938
10 posters

Go down

Bowden and Thompstone to Leicester Empty Bowden and Thompstone to Leicester

Post by killer938 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:31 am

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Leicester-Tigers-set-sign-London-Irish-pair/story-15188380-detail/story.html

Both decent signings for the departing 36 and Agulla. With Benjamin also signing and hopefully Tait getting fit, there could be a completely different back 3 at Welford Road next season.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Bowden and Thompstone to Leicester Empty Re: Bowden and Thompstone to Leicester

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:50 am

Couple of things.

1. That is a poorly written article as it claims Bowden is a solid kicker. He's a 60% man at best.

2. Would be gutted to lose both of them as they are both good players, and don't see how it would be a good move for Bowden as he will be playing second fiddle in the 10 or 12 shirt most of the time.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:10 am

2 good signings, especially Thompstone and he and Benjamin would make a good combination.

But... didn't Cockerill throw a fit when Waldrom became English? Bowden is nearing residency and is forever being quoted that he would consider playing for England.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:15 am

I think the Bowden deal will be a two year only stay. Tigers need cover whilst Ford and Forsyth get up to speed. In 2 years they should have met the grade and if Bowden has started his international career he will probably be relased for more internal promotion (Javiar Pohe).

Thompstone should be a cracking signing, this was leaked a month or so back on the offy site (I think I copied the rumour across). He is more likely to be the replacement for Alesana as he is a big boy but is more explosive in the pace deaprtment. Benjamin will replace Agulla on the other wing and for the first time in a while we should have some real pace options in the wide channels. As commented above we just need Tait fit and firing now!

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:19 am

Yeh, sorry, when I posted it I mentioned Agulla as he was the first one who came up but in terms for like for like replacements he will be replacing Alesana. Interesting though, it says we are looking for another winger. Firstly Sam, any idea who that might be? Also, no chance that Lewington could be promoted and see some game time next season?

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:24 am

I'd imagine that Thompstone and Benjamin would be all the recruits we need unless Saints have beaten us to Benjamin or Hamilton/Tait is leaving as well as the other two. Lewington and Morris are pretty good reserves but after them we are looking to the academy for back up.

Currently we have for next season;

Wings - Thompstone, Benjamin, Lewington, Hamilton
FB - Murphy, Morris, Tait

So we should be good unless another leaves.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:36 am

Yeh, though after this season I am having less and less faith in Hamilton to be honest. Good thing is Tait should be able to cover both positions while Murphy can still keep going and we will be able to bring through the academy players. Who are the academy players that are impressing on the wings? I live in France now so it is harder to keep up to date with everything that is going on.

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:48 am

gutted about this. Hopefully Tigers will give Dan the game time he deserves, rather that leave him warming the bench.

Anyone have a spare 10 we could borrow at Irish? we seem to be running rather low!

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 10 Feb 2012, 9:55 am

You can have Staunton, he's an Irish Exile.

Who are the academy players that are impressing on the wings?

It's pretty quite in terms of wingers, there's been a couple of students in Ed Rolston and Dante Mama though Mama is more of a centre and utility back Catchpole seems a decent player. I suppose the big hope for an exciting winger in the academy is Tahir El-Mahdri (sp?) he is lightening with a great step, bit young for a first team break through but he scored the only Tigers try in last years JP Morgan 7s with a real beauty of a finish past 3 Newcastle defenders.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:16 am

killer938 wrote:Who are the academy players that are impressing on the wings?

You should ask a Newcastle fan that! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:24 am

Haha, touché HKC. Yeh, Tahir EM is a name I have seen a couple of times, how old is he?

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 10 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

18 I think. I was hoping he'd get some LV Cup action but that seems unlikely, maybe next year. He wasn't included in the England under 18s squad but did score against them as Tigers academy beat them in a friendly at Welford Rd.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:55 pm

Is Bowden a 10 or a 12? Not been overly convinced the few times I've seen him at 10 as didn't think his kicking was good enough but Allen seems to be one of those players where even if he doesn't stand out as such the team always looks better when he is playing. Guess if everyone is fit then Bowden will begin the season as the bench 10/12 option and it will be up to him to force his way into the starting 15. It will certainly give the Tigers another game plan option when he does play at 12 with his distribution skills. Hope he doesn't impact on Ford getting game time though when Flood is rested or away with England.

Thompstone is a good signing. Feel he would have got more prem starts at most other teams but LI have such a strong squad with regards to the back 3. A Thompstone, Benjaman and Murphy back three with Tait on the bench covering all 3 positions if fit (and staying) is pretty strong. After a bit of a disappointing season so far I feel the Tigers are quietly building a stronger squad again for next season (unfortunately from a Saints fan point of view Wink ).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Londonirishollie Sat 11 Feb 2012, 1:36 am

Thompstone burst on to the scene a couple of years ago. Then had a horrific injury. i don't think he's recovered fully since. Maybe a move away would be positive for him. Also means Yarde will get more game time. Bowden on the other hand would be a huge loss. We miss him when he's not in the team. He runs our attack fully, and we look lost without him. Not sure its the best move for him either with Flood and Allen their either.

Londonirishollie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 11 Feb 2012, 9:56 am

Bowden would be brilliant for Tigers!

Youngs, Flood, Thompstone, Bowden, Tuilagi, Benjamin, Tait looks like a fearsome backline.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 13 Feb 2012, 10:22 am

It does look a vast improvement on this season doesn't it Yappy. Very little creativity and a noteable lack of pace in the back three this season has seen the Tigers looking a bit tame in attack (much to my frustration). Now if we can make that pack a bit more nasty before next season we might be able to win something!

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:33 pm

Yeh, there is definitely a distinct lack of pace in the team this season. Despite being a good footballer, Hamilton is definitely not the threat you need on the wing and Agulla is just a solid winger but nothing out of the ordinary. A backline like Yappy has suggested would give other teams a lot to think about. Now, it would be a question of sorting out the breakdown which is where we have been getting destroyed in the big games

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 13 Feb 2012, 12:53 pm

Hamilton was in excellent form before his long stint at 15 last season where after his confidence just seems to have gone and he now looks well off the pace. I wonder whether he'll go this summer? Agulla has been sporadic and the two wingers in bound offer more.

Agree about the breakdown, I don't think we've adapted well to the European referees who tend to let more things go at the breakdown and we are just trying to be too cute and win the ref over. It's a nice idea and has seen us concede generally less kickable penalties but at the same time we're losing out on far to many rucks.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 13 Feb 2012, 8:20 pm

Any one of your backs would probably be alright, but with them all together it just looks a bit slow! If you do field that backline next season and manage to get together your first choice pack you'll be a beast of a team to play against.

You need to get yourselves another breakdown coach like you used to have, and a defence coach.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 14 Feb 2012, 6:42 am

Interesting to see the views of Leicester fans on Agulla. I was arguing with this Argentinian guy on another forum who kept going on about how Agulla is world class Laugh what a muppet.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 14 Feb 2012, 10:28 am

Agulla is a good international winger but he lacks real pace. In a different backline he'd be quality but in the one we have he's just a bit to similar though his pin ball qualities are excellent.

Our coaching team does seem to be lacking balance at the moment. Hopefully that will change this summer.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Tue 14 Feb 2012, 11:44 am

Agulla is a great player, who punches well above his weight, and crashes around like Hipkiss used to for us. He has good basics and some good skills (see Wuss away), but just lacks that extra pace and step to make his world class.

I agree with Sam that he would be better in a better balanced backline.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 14 Feb 2012, 3:32 pm

Gonzo Camaco is the Argi winger with real star quality. I was really dissapointed when he left quins for exeter.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down