The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Lydiate MOTM

+12
mckay1402
flyhalffactory
Looseheaded
JmD
ChequeredJersey
Liam
The Great Aukster
funnyExiledScot
Rory_Gallagher
RuckingFlanker86
Taffineastbourne
bedfordwelsh
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dan Lydiate MOTM Empty Dan Lydiate MOTM

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Thank you thank you thank you.

First off R Jones had a stormer at 6 last week and a good game today BUT now people might finally realise how good Lydiate is and what he brings to the Welsh team.

He may not be the quickest (but no slouch) and maybe not the biggest ball carrier (do 6s need to be) but what he does is he allows the other back row players to concentrate on their game knowing he will hit anything that moves and be there at the right time.

On another thread the other day someone compared him to Richard Hill, whilst I admit that he has some way to go to get to that level, that is the biggest compliment you can pay the guy cos Hill was phenomenal.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Dan Lydiate MOTM Empty Re: Dan Lydiate MOTM

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Try telling some numptie from Belfast that!For anyone who has an ounce of understanding Lydiate was immense today.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Oh god don't let Rory see this!

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Taff,

He doesn't have to be from Dublin, there were some from Gods own Country that still think he should have started on the bench today.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Poor form guys.. just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean you have to resort to name calling.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Name calling?

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:02 pm

"Try telling some numptie from Belfast that"

The funniest thing is, I would love this random to come to Belfast and try calling me a numpty, instead of from behind his computer thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:03 pm

On my part there was no name calling intended, indeed it was even aimed at any other nation than my own. There are still some out there that just won't or can't admit how good Lydiate is.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:04 pm

I just didn't think he was as effective as some of the Scottish guys out there - which I think is fair enough.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Well I'm a Scot and I completely agree with Lydiate's naming as MOTM. You don't have to have the most tackles to your name to be the most influential tackler.

To be fair to Jonathan Davies, he did say that there could have been a number of MOTM possibles, including on the Scottish side. I just think it's very hard to pick a MOTM on the team that lost by 14 points. The best Scottish players were Gray and Rennie. On the Welsh side I think Gethin Jenkins could have won it, as could Falatau, Cuthbert or Halfpenny. But all in all, Lydiate was extremely effective. He played Poite well and slowed down an awful lot of Scottish ball, without which we don't threaten.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:"Try telling some numptie from Belfast that"

The funniest thing is, I would love this random to come to Belfast and try calling me a numpty, instead of from behind his computer thumbsup
If you see yourself as a numptie,who am I to argue?Grow up,sonny. Rolling Eyes

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:

Well since I disagree that Lydiate deserved MOM, and I am from Belfast, I am pretty sure you were referring to me, so I'm not sure why you are acting as if you weren't?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:20 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:

Well since I disagree that Lydiate deserved MOM, and I am from Belfast, I am pretty sure you were referring to me, so I'm not sure why you are acting as if you weren't?
Is everyone from Belfast a numptie or just you?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:23 pm

steam

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:23 pm

1/2 p probably deserved MOTM even if he wasn't great under the high ball. Getting two tries and 100% kicking should have won it for him.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:24 pm

Nah, but keep on giving insults from the safety of your computer. I hope it gives you a nice ego boost.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Chill guys, sunday evening and Wales are on for the triple crown at twickers Yahoo

On Lydiate, he had been an unbelievable asset to Wales over the last year. The tackles he makes around the rucks and in broken play is superb. I'm glad he was today recognised for the overall contribution he makes to the Welsh style of play, allowing Warbs to get in quickly to rucks and the backs to recieve quick ball. Well played Danny thumbsup

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:58 pm

I'd have given it to Rennie, but there were lots of players who played very well and none really leagues ahead of the rest so Lydiate was a fair call. Cuthbert was good, so was Ryan Jones, Halfpenny, Hogg, Denton, Gray and Shingler
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Nah, but keep on giving insults from the safety of your computer. I hope it gives you a nice ego boost.
People like you make me appreciate the intelligence of goldfish.Play some Rugby,build up an understanding and you will get so much more out of it.If you feel insulted I am sorry.Anyone who hides behind stats rather than their own interpretation is a tad sad. Sad Sad

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Even though I said at the time he got MOM that I thought it was a strange call? Then I checked the stats after the game. I find it a tad sad that you must resort to insulting people. I find it even sadder that you would only say this stuff on the internet. You have some balls sir.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Jonathan Davies' love affair with Lydiate means that he will inevitably be given MOTM, regardless of performance. His play was solid but unspectacular today, as you would expect from somebody returning from injury. The MOTM wasn't deserved, but totally expected given that Davies was choosing.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:31 pm

JmD wrote:Jonathan Davies' love affair with Lydiate means that he will inevitably be given MOTM, regardless of performance. His play was solid but unspectacular today, as you would expect from somebody returning from injury. The MOTM wasn't deserved, but totally expected given that Davies was choosing.

Lydiate isn't there to be spectacular. He's there to play his own unassuming game extremely well which allows our back row to function properly.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Looseheaded wrote:
JmD wrote:Jonathan Davies' love affair with Lydiate means that he will inevitably be given MOTM, regardless of performance. His play was solid but unspectacular today, as you would expect from somebody returning from injury. The MOTM wasn't deserved, but totally expected given that Davies was choosing.

Lydiate isn't there to be spectacular. He's there to play his own unassuming game extremely well which allows our back row to function properly.

I would say that a minimum requirement of any player is to allow their team mates to play as intended, so it's hardly a quality that separates Lydiate from other 6s.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Even though I said at the time he got MOM that I thought it was a strange call? Then I checked the stats after the game. I find it a tad sad that you must resort to insulting people. I find it even sadder that you would only say this stuff on the internet. You have some balls sir.
You are soooo wrong.Where have you been insulted?Grow some.You are coming across as a cyber-girlie.If you are soooo sensitive perhaps you should stay of heated messageboards of does it make you feel grown up?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:01 pm

JmD wrote:
Looseheaded wrote:

I would say that a minimum requirement of any player is to allow their team mates to play as intended, so it's hardly a quality that separates Lydiate from other 6s.

Well he does it much better than most 6s. He's a great flanker and manages to fulfill his duty and the back row functions effectively as a result. Many other 6s fail in doing this, which damages the impact of the rest of the backrow, just look at Croft, he's a good player but doesn't do the dirty work and graft that Lydiate does.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Erm

Do they allow pre-pubescent children on this site? I wonder sometimes..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Croft isn't that good, specifically because he doesn't do the primary duties as a 6. I can't agree that Lydiate does anything much better than other 6s really. I think of him like Dusautoir, making the most tackles on the pitch in most cases, and he was phenomenal in that regard against Ireland in the RWC. However, many 6s do what he does and offer more in terms of carrying. I do find him pretty overrated by the welsh, but I do know you guys think he is underrated.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote: Erm

The fact that you are here answers that one for you.Ask your Mam if you dont get it.
Go back to your ramblings about Ulster and leave us enjoy the quality of our young side.Your lot are in decline andI understand that this might hurt someone with a sensitive disposition.Never mind,there is always next year.
Stats,stats,stats.How sad is that?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Lydiate was officially MOM................ however Jonathan Davies (a 10) rarely gets the MOM spot on and true to form you had

1/2p
Ryan Jones
Shingler
Jon Davies........ all better

Rennie
Gray
Denton........... all better
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Croft isn't that good, specifically because he doesn't do the primary duties as a 6. I can't agree that Lydiate does anything much better than other 6s really. I think of him like Dusautoir, making the most tackles on the pitch in most cases, and he was phenomenal in that regard against Ireland in the RWC. However, many 6s do what he does and offer more in terms of carrying. I do find him pretty overrated by the welsh, but I do know you guys think he is underrated.
Are you for real or just a WUM?Any idea who the World Player of the Year is currently?LOL!!!!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Well since Ulster have got to the quarter finals two years in a row now, I am very happy with how we are progressing thank you very much Smile

Oh and calm down dear.. Laugh

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Children, both of you should grow up. Just stop the petty insults and arguing, it's as if I'm reading texts between my little brothers.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Or how about you just debate about Lydiate getting MOM like i'm trying to do? Instead of just telling me off, when it is quite clear I am trying to actually discuss something.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote: Erm

The fact that you are here answers that one for you.Ask your Mam if you dont get it.
Go back to your ramblings about Ulster and leave us enjoy the quality of our young side.Your lot are in decline andI understand that this might hurt someone with a sensitive disposition.Never mind,there is always next year.
Stats,stats,stats.How sad is that?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Can't you use PMs to insult one another?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Or how about you just debate about Lydiate getting MOM like i'm trying to do? Instead of just telling me off, when it is quite clear I am trying to actually discuss something.
I would refer you to the other thread where you first questioned the award.Do keep up.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Or how about you just debate about Lydiate getting MOM like i'm trying to do? Instead of just telling me off, when it is quite clear I am trying to actually discuss something.
I would refer you to the other thread where you first questioned the award.Do keep up.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:23 pm

If that was in reference to me, then well done, you proved my point very well. And I am here to discuss Lydiate, but it's getting ridiculous having to burrow through the petty quibbles of two fully grown men.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:23 pm

taffineastbourne

Will you shut up. I'm welsh and you're getting on my nerves. Why don't you just talk about rugby instead of the pathetic insults. it's people like you who are making this forum impossible to talk about rugby. grow up for gods sake
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 pm

This twerp has got up my hooter.He talks rubbish and has nt got a clue.I know I should ignore WUM's but they spoiled the old 606 and when I see them infesting this incarnation I see red.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:30 pm

Was Lydiate's performance so outstanding as to win the game for Wales?

It was an honest hardworking performance but on it's own wasn't the difference between the teams. The Welsh backs were the difference and specifically wee Leigh who read the game really well and kicked nervelessly.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:32 pm

Looseheaded wrote:

If that was in reference to me, then well done, you proved my point very well. And I am here to discuss Lydiate, but it's getting ridiculous having to burrow through the petty quibbles of two fully grown men.

Well so far each time I have said I wouldn't have given Lydiate MOM, I have come under a horde of petty insults. I don't apologise for standing up for myself. If you want to stop burrowing, tell the right people to "grow up", because I am not the one having a go at people. I think that is fair enough.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Looseheaded wrote:

Well so far each time I have said I wouldn't have given Lydiate MOM, I have come under a horde of petty insults. I don't apologise for standing up for myself. If you want to stop burrowing, tell the right people to "grow up", because I am not the one having a go at people. I think that is fair enough.

I didn't point out a single person in this debate, but it doesn't take much from you to just stop responding to the comments aimed at you. Somebody here needs to be the bigger man.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:36 pm

Alright then, I will ignore him from now on. Just to clarify, I am not a WUM, and I feel I have made some fair points about Lydiate and why I feel he didn't deserve the MOM, especially compared to Rennie, Grey and Denton. Not to mention some of the welsh backs.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Folks

It is getting tiresome picking up reports about petty bickering this weekend. It stops now. If it doesn't I will simply start issuing bans.

There is no need to respond to this post or to try to get another dig in in orde to have the last word.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Flyhalf;

I was at the game and I find your comments mirror mine, Dan had a solid game playing in his normal position, some of the players were out of position and I felt their contribution was higher also Lydiate missed 4 tackles but it was his first game back!

The Scottish boys improved so much from last week made it a tense first half with the game openning up in the second half. Most of the Welsh crowd around me thought R Jones, 1/2 Penny or Cuthbert was MOTM but that was from a Welsh perspective. I just watched the game back, Shinger did well at 7 and he plugged the gap left by Jones moving to the second row regarding the line out. I think Gatland's gamble came off moving Jones into the second row, his work rate is unbelieveable, I am a big I Evans (I thought he played well) fan but he looked lazy in comaprison to his team mate.

Gray for me was Scotland's star he never stops and always looking for work, he has a great future, also Hog showed he has pace and a side step but not on long enough for MOTM.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:49 pm

I thought it belonged to Rennie personally. I really thought he had a world class game, and if he can consistently do that he will be up there with the best 7s. I hope he, Denton, and whoever else they select will form a lasting back row partnership for years to come.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Agree with you Alun, Gray was fantastic. A few of the Scottish pack played very well but Gray seemed to be at the heart of everything, attack and defence.
From a Welsh point of view thought Shingler was our best forward, but Ryan had another really good game (thought he should have had MOTM against Ireland).

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I thought it belonged to Rennie personally. I really thought he had a world class game, and if he can consistently do that he will be up there with the best 7s. I hope he, Denton, and whoever else they select will form a lasting back row partnership for years to come.

When Kelly Brown comes back from injury he would complete that back row for me
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:59 pm

There are some really good options for now though - McInally looks a very good prospect also. I don't think Brown will be back at all this 6 nations will he?

Also have to agree on Ryan Jones. Where has this sudden burst of form come from? He is my vote for best welsh forward over the past two games.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next