The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Big Debate - Should football move to the summer?

+6
Hailmary
Jamson
Mat
hodge
Yes We Gyan
ADMIN
10 posters

Go down

The Big Debate - Should football move to the summer? Empty The Big Debate - Should football move to the summer?

Post by ADMIN Sat 29 Jan 2011, 12:07 pm

With the FIFA World Cup in 2022 being held in Qatar there is increasing speculation that domestic leagues shall be forced to move to the summer months so that they do not clash.

I would like to ask for people to put forward the pros and cons that this move could bring about, not just for football but for other sport, tourism and the economy.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

The Big Debate - Should football move to the summer? Empty Re: The Big Debate - Should football move to the summer?

Post by Yes We Gyan Sat 29 Jan 2011, 12:13 pm

Simply put - no way

next

Yes We Gyan

Back to top Go down

The Big Debate - Should football move to the summer? Empty Re: The Big Debate - Should football move to the summer?

Post by ADMIN Sat 29 Jan 2011, 12:22 pm

Why though?
What are the detrimental effects from moving it apart it just being the way it always has.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sat 29 Jan 2011, 2:28 pm

It's not simply the professional game you would need to consider but also the amatur game with the large amounts of people who play football on weekends.

Potential Pro's:
Increased spectating of Rugby and other winter sports

Potential Con's:
Cricket is currently the big summer sport, this would be dwarfed if football moved to summer and could see the sport die out professionally in many ways as it depends on the ticket sales to do well, no 2 ways about it.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat 29 Jan 2011, 2:45 pm

This is what I was wanting, the obvious loser to a summer move for football is cricket. By forcing fans to choose between the two then unfortunately I can see only one winner, the press coverage itself (especially tabloidwise) will obviously favour football.

But as a pro for football in this country, will it then make our league a lot more attractive to quality worldclass players that in past seasons tend to flock to Spain once they reach their potential. Playing football in our summer where it remains playable in seems a lot more of an attractive proposition to the middle of Madrid.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Sat 29 Jan 2011, 7:33 pm

I really would not like to see Football become a summer sport,although the thought of turning up to football in shorts and bathing in the sunshine whilst your team win 5-0 is a nice one.But nothing beats a rainy day,with a great atmosphere and the players caked in mud.

The effect on the amateur game could be devastating if that was to be moved to a summer sport,it would also be of detriment to cricket,the professionals as well as amateurs.A lot of the first class counties are making a loss,they have very little media attention as it is and with dwindling attendances in the 4 day game that could put a few out of business having to compete with the football teams for support.The press coverage would also decrease for our national team.

I don't think it would have an affect on the calibre of player joining the league,it's all about the money for a start.Then,if clubs do bring in a foreign lad there dream club tends to be a Barcelona or Madrid(See Ronaldo) and not a lot will get in their way.

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sat 29 Jan 2011, 7:50 pm

Madrid though in the middle of summer is a total oven, regularly over 100 degrees, add to that sticking 80,000 in the Bernabau which is a proper cauldron of a stadium and the temperature will rise considerably higher. That's not playing conditions at all and it may mean that the shift moves more towards our league.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sat 29 Jan 2011, 8:04 pm

champions league would probably get ruined as well thinking about it

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Sun 30 Jan 2011, 3:07 am

I actually wouldnt care if we just didnt enter the 2022 world cup.

Qatar ???? WTF have they done to deserve this tournament.. it's a joke.

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hailmary Sun 30 Jan 2011, 11:48 am

It should be on all year round. Miss it during those long lonely two and half months.

Hailmary

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 30 Jan 2011, 5:19 pm

Hailmary wrote:It should be on all year round. Miss it during those long lonely two and half months.

overkill

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Sun 30 Jan 2011, 5:31 pm

Even in the UK, the summer is too hot to play competetive football. And the pace of the Premier League heightens that. Even at the end of the season, I've been to games at Watford that have been almost unbearable heat as a spectator.

Maybe play a week or two longer to allow for a winter break, but don't play all the way through. I couldn't care less about the effect on Cricket - I care more about the health and wellbeing of fellow human beings, albeit wealthy human beings.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hailmary Tue 01 Feb 2011, 1:47 pm

hodge wrote:
Hailmary wrote:It should be on all year round. Miss it during those long lonely two and half months.

overkill

You sound like one of those whining Corrie fans getting anxious that their tv schedule has gotten all topsy turvy due to the bloody football. Wink

Hailmary

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobby Roode Tue 01 Feb 2011, 1:51 pm

Admit it, the game will be on it's bum by 2022 if it carries on like this. FIFA are a currupt bunch of pirates who will break up domestic leagues and form a Euro Super League, meaning no one will give a damn about International football.

Bobby Roode

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 01 Feb 2011, 6:32 pm

Hailmary wrote:
hodge wrote:

overkill

You sound like one of those whining Corrie fans getting anxious that their tv schedule has gotten all topsy turvy due to the bloody football. Wink

having football all year round would be overkill on players as well as fans. Players due to no extended summer break and fans look forward to the start of seasons it builds hype, if you went stright into a new season it would be just wrong one week playing say Scunthorpe next Arsenal a couple later, present system is fine except for maybe extending it a few weeks to build in a winter break

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Prairieswan Fri 04 Feb 2011, 1:27 pm

Football to watch every month ?? .,...... I'm in , where do I sign :love:

Prairieswan

Back to top Go down

Post by Legend Tue 15 Feb 2011, 5:08 pm

If you've played competetive football on a hot summer day, you would know why they dont currently play many matches during this period. I think it would be an awful idea to move it, but i suppose it could be their only option for 2022.
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down