The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best pound-for-pound fighter right now?

+19
kevchadders
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
huw
WelshDevilRob
ShahenshahG
Imperial Ghosty
TRUSSMAN66
lovely_london
All Time Great
The Galveston Giant
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
JabMachineMK2
sodhat
johnson2
Union Cane
KingMonkey
Rowley
BoxNationTV
23 posters

Go down

Who's the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world right now?

Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_lcap13%Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 6 ]
Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_lcap51%Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_rcap 51% 
[ 24 ]
Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_lcap4%Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_lcap0%Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_lcap23%Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 11 ]
Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_lcap0%Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_lcap9%Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 47

Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Empty Best pound-for-pound fighter right now?

Post by BoxNationTV Wed 15 Feb 2012, 3:09 pm

Afteroon guys, we're on the hunt to find out who the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world is right now?

We started this over on our Facebook page (BoxNationTV) and Money Mayweather's running away with it, what do you all reckon?
BoxNationTV
BoxNationTV

http://boxnation.tv

Back to top Go down

Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Empty Re: Best pound-for-pound fighter right now?

Post by Rowley Wed 15 Feb 2012, 3:10 pm

Have also gone for Floyd, wish he was not such a tool and find him and Manny's continued failure to fight disgraceful but you can't deny the talent.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Best pound-for-pound fighter right now? Empty Re: Best pound-for-pound fighter right now?

Post by KingMonkey Wed 15 Feb 2012, 3:17 pm

Floyd without a hint of hesitation for me.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 15 Feb 2012, 3:25 pm

Andre Ward for me. Top dog in what is currently the strongest weight division.

He had a superb Super Six tournament, consistently taking on the best opposition available and beating them.

He hasn't avoided fighting anyone, and the only man standing between him and total dominance of the division is Lucian Bute.

Who is Ward after next?

Bute.

'Nuff said.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Wed 15 Feb 2012, 3:39 pm

Wlad would beat them all. P4p is just something used to help inferior fighters.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 15 Feb 2012, 3:46 pm

johnson2 wrote:Wlad would beat them all. P4p is just something used to help inferior fighters.

By 'inferior fighters' do you actually mean 'smaller men'?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 15 Feb 2012, 4:05 pm

My bad, I must of missed it first time round.

I picked Andre Ward for the exact reasons Union has already put up.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 15 Feb 2012, 4:39 pm

Right now? I'd go for Ward.

Is there any way of hiding Johnson2's comments?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Wed 15 Feb 2012, 4:50 pm

Union Cane wrote:Andre Ward for me. Top dog in what is currently the strongest weight division.

He had a superb Super Six tournament, consistently taking on the best opposition available and beating them.

He hasn't avoided fighting anyone, and the only man standing between him and total dominance of the division is Lucian Bute.

Who is Ward after next?

Bute.

'Nuff said.

Agree with all the above bar the Bute comments. He has said Bute needs to earn a shot...is being an unbeaten world champion and regarded in all circles the second best super middlewieght (and in some number one) not enough?

Ward will end up fighting Magee once he becomes WBA mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 15 Feb 2012, 4:56 pm

No i don't. Boxing would have numerous deaths if there was open weight classes. The name of the game is to hurt your opponent. If David Haye was to land one of his straight right hands from a few years ago on Mayweathers chin it wouldn't be pretty.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Wed 15 Feb 2012, 6:31 pm

Can't we just boot Johnson2 out of 606v2? He adds nothing but stupidity. It's almost become an involuntary reaction to stop reading a thread as soon as I see someone who hasn't been educated since the age of 11 making a post.

With regards to the question at hand- 606v2 actually unanimously voted Floyd Mayweather as our P4P number 1. So I'm going to stick with that- if he can dispatch of Cotto at 154lbs this only adds to the fact he's the best fighter of this generation.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 15 Feb 2012, 6:45 pm

All Time Great wrote:Can't we just boot Johnson2 out of 606v2? He adds nothing but stupidity. It's almost become an involuntary reaction to stop reading a thread as soon as I see someone who hasn't been educated since the age of 11 making a post.

With regards to the question at hand- 606v2 actually unanimously voted Floyd Mayweather as our P4P number 1. So I'm going to stick with that- if he can dispatch of Cotto at 154lbs this only adds to the fact he's the best fighter of this generation.

I actually think he made a good argument. You said that P4P is the only true way to determine someones skill, however if mayweather was as skillful as you suggest then he should easily beat wlad. But the fact is that he would never been wlad and thus makes wlad a better boxer than him.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 15 Feb 2012, 7:01 pm

Funny how 90% of posters say Marquez was ripped off...80% say he won at least two of thre three fights and 50% all three!!!!

Yet he's got no votes and Manny has three!!!

Short memories..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 15 Feb 2012, 7:58 pm

lovely_london wrote:
All Time Great wrote:Can't we just boot Johnson2 out of 606v2? He adds nothing but stupidity. It's almost become an involuntary reaction to stop reading a thread as soon as I see someone who hasn't been educated since the age of 11 making a post.

I actually think he made a good argument. You said that P4P is the only true way to determine someones skill, however if mayweather was as skillful as you suggest then he should easily beat wlad. But the fact is that he would never been wlad and thus makes wlad a better boxer than him.

No, it makes him so much bigger and stronger that it outweigh's Mayweathers skill. P4P is a measure of skills not strength. Heavyweight champions will always beat the Poopie out of little guys. However Mayweather is capable of battering someone of Klitschko's size who is not a boxer.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 15 Feb 2012, 8:26 pm

Ward over Mayweather?

Not even close skill wise and he's beaten some good fighters and two very good fighters but no great fighters.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Wed 15 Feb 2012, 9:01 pm

lovely_london wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:
lovely_london wrote:

No, it makes him so much bigger and stronger that it outweigh's Mayweathers skill. P4P is a measure of skills not strength. Heavyweight champions will always beat the Poopie out of little guys. However Mayweather is capable of battering someone of Klitschko's size who is not a boxer.

Oh dear, lets not start this again. Last time it was the whole "I could batter Donaire as I'm 6'+ and 14st whereas he's only 5'6" and 8.5st...." All got very 'my dad would batter you dad'.......

But now look whats happening people are agreeing with me.

I said on a previos thread that size and weight would win against skill where the guy is 6ft 5 and 15 stone and he is facing a guy who is 5ft 7 and 9 stone. People said that that skilled boxer would win against the big guy.

Now everyone is saying that even tho floyd is the most skillful boxer in the world he would lose to a less skilled guy because the less skilled guy is bigger.

Glad everyone agrees that I was right.

Big guys get unfairly put down. In boxing (and indeed MMA) if a big guy wins the automatic thing people say is "he was just to big, if only they were the same size etc..."

Not a lot you can do about your height and frame, but the same can also be said for you chin, the speed you can deliver a punch etc... All talents in boxing are pretty much god given, it is up to a fighter to develop his attributes into a winning style.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 15 Feb 2012, 9:32 pm

Lovely London - he is saying big boxers beat little boxers. Thats not the same as any 6ft guy would ko a lightweight blah blah blah - and unless you've kept summat quiet - I don't think you are a professional boxer. A less skilled boxer is still a boxer, a lump standing outside a bar is an entirely different matter. Donaire beats the Poopie out of you then goes for a jog to warm up

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lovely_london Wed 15 Feb 2012, 10:44 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Lovely London - he is saying big boxers beat little boxers. Thats not the same as any 6ft guy would ko a lightweight blah blah blah - and unless you've kept summat quiet - I don't think you are a professional boxer. A less skilled boxer is still a boxer, a lump standing outside a bar is an entirely different matter. Donaire beats the Poopie out of you then goes for a jog to warm up

I have only trained in boxing a few times, however i have trained in martial arts for 10 years. I am 6 ft 2 and 14 stone and I am not the biggest guy but I would not be scared of any guy who was 5ft 7 and 9 stone. I don't care how skilled they are at boxing or judo or whatever I would rather fight them than some guy who is 6 ft 5 15 stone and has a basic knowldge of how to fight.

lovely_london

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Wed 15 Feb 2012, 11:44 pm

Gamboa gets my vote. Floyd and Manny are getting old.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:01 pm

All Time Great wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:Lovely London - he is saying big boxers beat little boxers. Thats not the same as any 6ft guy would ko a lightweight blah blah blah - and unless you've kept summat quiet - I don't think you are a professional boxer. A less skilled boxer is still a boxer, a lump standing outside a bar is an entirely different matter. Donaire beats the Poopie out of you then goes for a jog to warm up

Lovely London just needs to step in the ring with a prime Mike Tyson, I'm quite sure his feelings will change re: men shorter than 6ft. Then once Lovely London has been KO'd in the fastest ever defeat of all time, let's send in Johnson2 (an obvious multiple alias of someone who has too much time on their hands).

Not sure I could take Mike Tyson if i'm honest. Fancy my chance now though...

That said, I agree with London to a certain extent. I would fancy my chances against a 5ft7 boxer at 9 stone. Unless he sparks me out with the first punch he isnt going to have the room to box me.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

two_tone wrote:
johnson2 wrote:
two_tone wrote:
WelshDevilRob wrote:Gamboa gets my vote. Floyd and Manny are getting old.

Funny you should say that so are lovely_london and johnson2

Bless.

Seems several posters can do nothing but try and insult me....

Since people can't actually have a grown up debate with either of you, we might as well have some use for you while you continue to post on here.

I'm not the one resorting to petty insults. If people want to debate then fine, if people want to insult that is also fine.

I am above this childness nonsense, but do carry on, Son.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

Two tone if you are incapable of debating with a user, either resist the temptation to try or if that is not possible make use of the foe button. Insulting other users is against the house rules, and normally results in whoever is being insulted responding in kind which doubles the work for us to clean up.

cheers

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:27 pm

1. Truss re Manny. Didn't vote for him and although he has arguably lost to Marquez up to three times it could be that the boxer in question has worked out the other and not mean that they are better.

2. Big guys small guys, what has basketball got to do with anything. Boxing is boxing, it isn't a question of who is the 'hardest' but pound for pound who is the best boxer.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

I picked Wlad to try and lure Wairango out of his hole, lol, imo
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:36 pm

Would criticise you reborn but have just thought that by voting Floyd I may lure D4 out of his hole, which is by far the worse offence.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:42 pm

All these deleted posts are getting confusing......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Thu 16 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

I've gone for Ward also.

Over the past 2 years I believe he has the best CV out them all. No doubting Floyd quality but with only 3 fights in the past few years isnt enough IMO to give him top spot.

Of course we all judge P4P differently. For example, with myself I place a lot of emphases on how active they has been over the past few years.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Thu 16 Feb 2012, 4:39 pm

I would go with Ward. I know the obvious answer would be Mayweather, but I think that due to his inactivity combined with the nature of his win against Ortiz, I'm not sure he has done enough to justify being No.1 P4P. I don't consider his recent fights to be that challenging for him, I don't think he has taken the biggest challenges he could have, Ortiz while strong and hard hitting is relatively inexperienced, Mosley was way past his prime etc. The Cotto fight IMO does rectify this a fair bit however, albeit being quite late in the day.

Ward on the other hand has scored virtual shut outs against the best challengers he could be expected to face, Bute aside, and is the main man at the weight without doubt, something Mayweather cannot lay claim to until he fights Pac.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 16 Feb 2012, 4:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Funny how 90% of posters say Marquez was ripped off...80% say he won at least two of thre three fights and 50% all three!!!!

Yet he's got no votes and Manny has three!!!

Short memories..

Be interested to know where you got these stats.

Re: OP
In terms of "legacy" I pick Manny. In terms of ability I think Donaire's the most complete boxer in the world.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 16 Feb 2012, 4:46 pm

I think everyone has a different interpretation of pound for pound but I tend to take it the simplest form which for me is "who is the best fighter?" At the moment that remains Mayweather and wuld probably still be the case even with low activity or even if he fought bums. I just think he is the most skillful fighter out there.

Other elements like recent opposition, form, activity etc I would probably class a something a little different but nowadays it all tends to get lumped in together uner pound for pound. Ward was my fighter of the year the for 2011 because he ticked all those boxes aswell as being very skillful himself. But overall in a basic sense I think Mayweather remains the best fighter on the planet in pound for pound terms.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 16 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

Tends to mirror my own thinking Manos, obviously you have to give some consideration to opposition faced and on this Ward obviously scores well but its not like Floyd has been feasting on the likes of Gavin Rees and Matthew Hatton for the last couple of years, in the likes of Ortiz and Mosley whilst Floyd has often fought too infrequently when he has fought they have been against decent fighters, a trend that is set to continue.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 16 Feb 2012, 5:21 pm

rowley wrote:Tends to mirror my own thinking Manos, obviously you have to give some consideration to opposition faced and on this Ward obviously scores well but its not like Floyd has been feasting on the likes of Gavin Rees and Matthew Hatton for the last couple of years, in the likes of Ortiz and Mosley whilst Floyd has often fought too infrequently when he has fought they have been against decent fighters, a trend that is set to continue.

Yeah my system is pretty simplistic and can be quite unfair in terms of acknowledging competition faced and criteria like that. Basically somebody like Marquez or Martinez could consistently fight and beat better opposition than Mayweather but I would still struggle to place them above him purely because I think Mayweather is still a better fighter overall. This is just taking pound for pound in purest sense for me.

However this can be kind of unsatisfying so when pound for pound lists are being done now I tend to adjust them to give greater account for things like recent form and opposition. But I never really consider these lists as within the true meaning of pound for pound as quite often a lesser fighter will be placed above a better fighter based on other criteria. They are kind of flavour of the month lists as opposed to what I consider actual pound for pound lists.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 16 Feb 2012, 6:02 pm

I'm not really too sure that Wards opposition has been that amazing, Froch and Kessler were both very good super middleweights but neither were among the best boxers in the world which an ageing Mosley still was at the time. Ortiz I think is very much the same as both Kessler and Froch, all of them are among the best in their divisions but not stand out fighters in their own right.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 16 Feb 2012, 6:19 pm

I cant see how anyone can rate Ward above Floyd. Regardless of who each has beaten, you just have to watch both of them in action to see who the better and more skilled fighter is.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down