The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rios vs. Gamboa? Yes please!!!

+11
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
OasisBFC
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
Valero's Conscience
Boxtthis
The Galveston Giant
School Project
15 posters

Go down

Rios vs. Gamboa? Yes please!!! Empty Rios vs. Gamboa? Yes please!!!

Post by School Project Fri 17 Feb 2012, 9:26 am

Everyone's favourite high pitched joker Brandon Rios will be fighting Yuriokis Gamboa in April it seems. The fight is at 135lbs which Rios struggled with last time out with Gamboa moving up in weight.

This could be quite the fight guys.

My call will be on Gamboa by points.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Rios vs. Gamboa? Yes please!!! Empty Re: Rios vs. Gamboa? Yes please!!!

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 17 Feb 2012, 9:27 am

I hope this comes off i want a decent 50/50 fight to look forward to.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 17 Feb 2012, 9:35 am

Looks as though its all set GG. All the need is Gamboa to sign which looks likely according to The Ring.

Very good match up!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 17 Feb 2012, 9:37 am

Definitely excited to see this one. This kind of matchup has become all too rare in boxing these days. Both fighters taking a risk here - the way it should be.

But, is it only me who thinks Bam Bam will be far too strong for Gamboa? He's coming up 2 weight divisions from Featherweight to Lightweight to take on a guy that's huge for LW, and who would be considered very strong at LWW. On the plus side for Gamboa, Rios is there to be hit, and the Cuban has a serious dig on him. But, if Rios is able to withstand the punishment, he'll walk Gamboa down and give him a long night of pain on the ropes.

A ballsy move by both fighters though. Gamboa puts up his unbeaten record against a beast of a LW. Rios takes a huge risk of being made to look silly by a smaller man, and derailing his assent to stardom.

More of these please.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 17 Feb 2012, 9:46 am

Boxtthis wrote:Definitely excited to see this one. This kind of matchup has become all too rare in boxing these days. Both fighters taking a risk here - the way it should be.

But, is it only me who thinks Bam Bam will be far too strong for Gamboa? He's coming up 2 weight divisions from Featherweight to Lightweight to take on a guy that's huge for LW, and who would be considered very strong at LWW. On the plus side for Gamboa, Rios is there to be hit, and the Cuban has a serious dig on him. But, if Rios is able to withstand the punishment, he'll walk Gamboa down and give him a long night of pain on the ropes.

A ballsy move by both fighters though. Gamboa puts up his unbeaten record against a beast of a LW. Rios takes a huge risk of being made to look silly by a smaller man, and derailing his assent to stardom.

More of these please.

I agree, when i first raised the topic of this fight when it was a rumour i said i favoured Rios slightly due to Gamboa moving up and Rios being huge at the weight, however most heavily back Gamboa and you can understand why.

Gamboa is quicker and better skill-wise but Rios is a brawling bully with a decent dig and a granite chin. Gamboa has huge power but will it continue to have the same power 2 divisions up against someone more a natural LWW/WW with an excellent chin?

A very good test for both and will catapult either winner to stardom and as long as it's a good fight (which it surely will be) then the loser will also gain positive exposure.

Can't wait!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 17 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

Rios will be weight drained. He cant make 135 and be 100% or close to it. Gamboa by wide UD after taking over from r6.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 17 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

Rios' problems making weight may take its toll. He looked awful at the weigh in against Murray. On the night, he didn't look that powerful either.

Gamboa, being sharp, good dig and hopefully comfortable with the weight will cause Rios real problems.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 17 Feb 2012, 10:42 am

Yes yes yes, I love this fight. 2 of my favourite fighters at this point in time.

Rios is a great pressure fighter with better hand speed than he's given credit for, a granite chin, can easily throw 1000 punches and with great power in both hands.

Gamboa is short but explosive, almost pacquiao esq at featherweight, who has a great skillset being a gold medal winner and has made good fighters like salido and de Leon look like bums.

It all depends on how Gamboa fights. If he can use the type of movement e showed vs salido the he could just stay out of range. If Rios can catch him up and they go toe to toe rios can get the stoppage. Gamboa had a good chin but leaves himself open, and rios would take 3 to get 1 off, that's how he fights.

Tips has recently hired a nutritionist, the 1st time he's done that and I've ears a couple of times he's said he hasn't ballooned up between fights like he normally does and that's he's already been training as he's known about this fight for while. This is good news for rios as the rios who fought Acosta would be a gruelling night for anyone

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 17 Feb 2012, 11:32 am

great fight.
i think if rios takes it seriously and keeps his weight down it'll be a real 50/50 effort.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 17 Feb 2012, 11:49 am

Cracking fight!
I hear Rios has got a conditioner in now and this may help him for this fight but this needs to be his last fight at 135.
Gamboa has chin issues and has been put down and hurt a couple of times and Rios can bang, but if Steward can get Gamboa to finally put his hands up he should be fine and out box a one dimensional Rios by working angles. But i think there will be a few dodgy moments for Gamboa!

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 17 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

Gamboa can't slow down at all. If he leans on the ropes for one second, rios will land his big left hooks to the body which can really hurt Gamboa.

I know Gamboa can't fight very well on the back foot, but I find he uses his power best when he meets guys on the middle. Adopting that strategy would be suicide vs rios so it would be interesting to see if Gamboa has the power to back rios up while fighting I the backfoot. Acosta met Brandon head on and hurt him but got wore down by him.

Gamboa was a big FW and was never hugely outweighed even vs salido, but you know rios will come in around 150+ for this fight and I doubt Gamboa will be much bigger than 140 come fight night

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 17 Feb 2012, 12:13 pm

Cracking fight in store I think, and I take my hat off to both men. Slightly surprised that Gamboa isn't making a pit stop at 130 lb before searching for Lightweight honours; looks like Gamboa-Donaire will be the one that got away for sure now, but this is a very fine substitute to make up for it.

I can see Gamboa winning a decision here, close and hard fought. I think Rios may be a little vulnerable early on against the smaller man's quicksilver attacks, as it's likely to take him a little longer to start getting in close to bully the Cuban and make his naturally bigger frame count. Can't put a price on the sheer greased lightning speed which Gamboa has in his arsenal, and I reckon it wins the day here.

I think we'll see Gamboa covering a hell of a lot of ground and expanding a lot of energy with quick in out out bursts - he's likely to tire late on, perhaps, but if he's conditioned well enough to stop Rios simply walking him down, it's his fight. I like Rios a lot, but I think his attack might be a little too repetitive and cumbersome to get past a real slickster who can play the matador to him at the highest level.

Gamboa by something like 116-113 after a highly entertaining bout.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 17 Feb 2012, 1:20 pm

I'll tell you what: If Gamboa wins this one, he really will go some way to justifying the high p4p rankings he's often given.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 17 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm

My worry with this one is Gamboa lasting the twelve given the amount of ground he's going to have to cover to keep out of reach of Rios, whilst carrying an extra 10lbs or so.

Will he tire in the championship rounds and start to get caught??

Gamboa is my favourite fighter, lightning quick with huge power to boot and a high risk (absurdly low guard) to boot. Am tempted to say this will go one of two ways, Gamboa EKO (rounds 4-7, say) or Rios LKO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 17 Feb 2012, 6:00 pm

Would have to heavily favour Rios in this one, can't really see Gamboa having the dig to trouble him while Rios definitely has the power to take him out with one punch. Gamboa will have to keep on his feet moving for the whole 12 rounds which is easier said than done against an opponent I expect being capable of walking through him. Lets not kid ourselves but featherweight to lightweight is a big jump especially against someone as good as Rios.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 17 Feb 2012, 6:11 pm

Its gonna be beserkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Gamboa to win on points I reckon

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sat 18 Feb 2012, 4:02 pm

Gamboa comfortably on points, Rios would probably bust up easily though. I think Rios will be comfortably outboxed by the first classy boxer who has any kind of durability.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 18 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

Not sure we could possibly say that Gamboa would have a good level at lightweight not even sure it was that good at featherweight, a classy fighter no doubt but he did look vulnerable to a biggish punch.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 18 Feb 2012, 6:02 pm

steven24 wrote:Gamboa comfortably on points, Rios would probably bust up easily though. I think Rios will be comfortably outboxed by the first classy boxer who has any kind of durability.

Give over mate Acosta was a hugely underrated lightweight and could box beautifully on the back foot behind his jab and had heavy hands for a lightweight

Peterson was also a very good fighter with great stamina and good fundamentals and rios managed to get him into a war and busted him up, give the man some credit

Rios wasnt going into these fights as heavy favourites either, many though Acosta would outbox him to a decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sat 18 Feb 2012, 8:51 pm

Gamboa by decision - too fast too skillfull, unless the size difference is too much - I know there will be a size difference but if Gamboa can manage to stay 7 pounds with-in Rios he should win this

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 20 Feb 2012, 10:13 am

I can't wait for this fight. I'm not sold on Rios but he is entertaining. I do think that Gamoa will show up just how one dimensional, slow and defencively inept Rios is.

A late stoppage for the Cuban imo. I don't think he'll floor Rios the ref will probably stop it. Gamboa could make Rios look like a journeyman.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down