The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Social Media team selection

+2
wonder_man
R!skysports
6 posters

Go down

Social Media team selection Empty Social Media team selection

Post by R!skysports Fri 17 Feb 2012, 12:23 pm

With the world moving rapidly into a social media dominated medium, where shopping habits, social interactions and even TV watching is being influenced and even dictated by Social Media (from FaceBook to online reviews to social tracking), is it time to start looking at social media to develop selections for the national team?

After most games (and all when a team loses) there is a conversation about team selection, with a whole sea of arm chair managers getting down and dirty with their key boards to inform the world what their team selection would be, and how their coach, manager, have got it so wrong

Would it be possible to have a social media vote and debate of to select your team?

Crazy, well maybe, but there are a few things that may give it more credence.

• The club fans tend to see more of the players and are in a better position to judge form, talent and of course attitute

• Fans are just as passionate about their team, and would want the best players to play

• The philiosphy of 'the Wisdom of crowds' would help to smooth over focus on individuals fans favourate players

• Fans tend to not stop discussing team selection, both with their own fans, but also fans of other nations / teams - giving them more insight to how others view their players

• The lack of pressure from the media, may enable fan selectors to be more advernturous in their selection - playing to win rather than damage limitation

Of course there are major limitations and stumbeling blocks that woudd make it a difficult task to implement, but while improbable, is it impossible

So what do you think? Could this ever be part of the selection process, or is the fan base their for personal discussions?

[list][*][list][*]

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Social Media team selection Empty Re: Social Media team selection

Post by wonder_man Fri 17 Feb 2012, 12:30 pm

I think they'd first have to agree on tactics and then selection.. Otherwise the balance could be way out

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 17 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm

It could work as a marketing plot for exhibition matches.

E.g. for the Lions test against Barbarians it could generate massive interest in the game.

But for actual competitions no way.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 17 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm

Too many chiefs and not enough indians sprang to mind when I first read this post. If that were to happen sites like this would go into meltdown with everyone blamimg each other if things went wrong.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munster23 Fri 17 Feb 2012, 2:32 pm

Crazy but interesting idea. Didnt they try a similar thing with a football club in England with a non league team I think.

munster23

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 17 Feb 2012, 4:44 pm

Crazy and unlikely to come about in full, but I am sure it is not too long before an element of it creeps in

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Fri 17 Feb 2012, 8:52 pm

Crazy but interesting idea. Didnt they try a similar thing with a football club in England with a non league team I think.

I certainly remember hearing that story. Have no idea what happened to them. Anyone know?

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Feb 2012, 9:25 pm

I think you're referring to Ebbsfleet United. Link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFootballClub

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down