The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Danny Cipriani in talks with Sale Sharks

+10
TrailApe
HERSH
DaveM
sirtidychris
yappysnap
funnyExiledScot
gowales
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
Cumbrian
14 posters

Go down

Danny Cipriani in talks with Sale Sharks Empty Danny Cipriani in talks with Sale Sharks

Post by Cumbrian Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:23 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/9088759/Danny-Cipriani-in-talks-with-Sale-Sharks.html

Cipriani, who is about to embark on his second Super 15 season with Australian franchise Melbourne Rebels, is understood to be eager to return to England to further his international career.

The former Wasps player was constantly overlooked by former England manager Martin Johnson, but with a new coach to be appointed, Cipriani is thought to believe the time is right for a return home. Representatives of the 24 year-old have been in discussions with Sale’s chief executive Steve Diamond, but a deal has not yet be concluded. It is thought that other clubs, including Leicester, Newcastle Falcons and London Irish, and also held talks about signing the fly-half, who won the last of his seven England caps in Nov 2008.

Cipriani, the former Wasps fly-half, had hoped for a fresh start in Australia but his first season in Melbourne was marred by a series of off-field controversies. He was suspended by his own team-mates last May for partying into the early hours following the Super 15 club’s defeat by New South Wales Waratahs in Sydney.

Cipriani had been previously fined by the club in March and warned he would be dropped if he misbehaved again after he took a bottle of vodka from a nightclub in Prahran, Victoria, on Feb 18 without paying for it. He was linked at the end of last season to a short-term deal with French Top 14 side Toulon, during the World Cup in September and October, as cover for Jonny Wilkinson and new signing Matt Giteau, but it did not go ahead.

Any Sale fans have an opinion? Do you guys see him in your squad? What would it mean for Rob Miller?

The Leicester link is a none starter in my opinion, they've already got Flood as first choice and George Ford as the long term option (Not to mention Dan Bowden coming in as cover).

I would love to see him at Falcons, but I just can't see it. He wants international rugby and we are likely to be in the Championship next season.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Danny Cipriani in talks with Sale Sharks Empty Re: Danny Cipriani in talks with Sale Sharks

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:54 am

He won't sign for Tigers unless he fancies himself as a full back, even then it would be the rudest of awakenings for him. The full scale contact sessions at Tigers are normally attended by the club doctor (for stitches) and I can't see that being Cips cup of tea. Having said that Diamond is hardly a shrinking violet and will be expecting him to work hard if he went to Sale.

Sale could be a good move for him with Miller looking ever more an accomplished 15 who can play 10 rather than the other way round and with rumours of McLeod leaving this could be a great opportunity for Cipriani. Two big tackling PI body guards as centres and an experienced 9 who will control the pack in front of him (if Sale can hold onto Peel that is) should mean he'd be in a comfortable set up.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Danny Cipriani in talks with Sale Sharks Empty Re: Danny Cipriani in talks with Sale Sharks

Post by Geordie Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:37 am

And right next to the Manchester night life...perfect... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:40 am

I think he would do very well at Sale. They play an expansive game and have a pretty solid pack. With the likes of Gray joining next year he would be a great addition to the squad.

I believe Macleod recently signed a 2/3 year contract. But the thing about Macloed though is hes a very solid and capable player but if Sale want to challenge for higher honours then they need some real quality.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:08 am

Sale would be a good move, and Cipriani is comfortably better than MacLeod. Rob Miller should stay at 15, I prefer him there, and with the addition of Richie Gray and return of Hendrie Fourie the Sale pack should have a bit more muscle next season.

Wasps would also be a good call of course, but I doubt the finances are there.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:35 am

Ive heard that Lon Irish are interested as well

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:08 pm

London Irish would be interesting.

When fit they have a very good backrow to protect him, Hodgson to help take the pressure off him and Homer to kick if needed.

They must have a fair bit of cash floating round after Armitage, Kennedy and possibly Bowden go.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Its early days but supposedly the Rebels coaching team have been doing alot of defensive work with danny cipriani and watching his first rebels game this season he was awesome in attack and defense.There will always be question marks over his character however and now is the time for him really to mature if he wants to push for england recognition again.

As far as sale sharks and london irish i think both teams would benefit from having such a player however i feel steve diamond and sale would be a better fit and more likely to control the lad with many of cipriani's "friends" aka bad influences based in London. I think London Irish naturally play a more cipriani type game however i believe this is just media speculation as I would be surprised if Mike Catt would let cips come to LI given thier massive bust up.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:30 pm

To my mind, the club that is conspicuous by it's absence in all of these discussions is Wasps. I always assumed that when he came back to England he would link back up with them.

With a positive new owner and returning players like Haskell, Palmer, Cipriani and a fit again Rees you'd think that things wouldn't be such doom and gloom around the club.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Wasps have Robinson and Davies on contracts for next season. No need for them to enter the bidding for another 10, what they really need is some front row grunt. Palmer and Haskell will help in the second row and backrow departments but a hooker will also be high on the agenda.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Wasps have Robinson and Davies on contracts for next season. No need for them to enter the bidding for another 10, what they really need is some front row grunt. Palmer and Haskell will help in the second row and backrow departments but a hooker will also be high on the agenda.

True, as ever with Wasps they need grunt before anything else. It’s interesting who they’ll target as a replacement for Webber. There doesn’t seem to be too many ready made English replacements kicking around unfortunately. Although, I’ve read rumours that Brett Sharman is moving on from Northampton, could do worse than looking at him,

To me, Robinson’s and Davis’ just seem average, steady players. Cipriani can be on a different level to both. He could help cover full back too.

As to whether Wasps have/will have the money to get involved in a bidding war over him... well, that is another question.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:03 pm

I think it's likely Wasps will have a tight budget and they need grunt more than anything else. Southwell and Robinson are both ex-internationals who might not offer the same explosive attacking skills as Cips but will do well enough behind a decent pack. It's the decent pack they need. Sharman would be a good addition, I'd expect the Russian hooker they've got on a short deal to stay and Lindsay is the work in progress there as well so that would give them the right amount of good options.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Lots of Wasps fans still expect him to return there, but Sale and Irish would both make sense. Diamond is on record as saying the squad he's put together doesn't have enough English players in it, and that he intends to remedy that. It also looks to me that he's decided Miller is a FB, not a FH.

LI have the players to play a very expansive game, and desperately need a FH.

I expect the DC who returns t have matured a bit as a player and as a man.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 pm

He should head for Wasps, a season in the Championship would do him the world of good. Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Cumbrian wrote:To my mind, the club that is conspicuous by it's absence in all of these discussions is Wasps. I always assumed that when he came back to England he would link back up with them.

With a positive new owner and returning players like Haskell, Palmer, Cipriani and a fit again Rees you'd think that things wouldn't be such doom and gloom around the club.

Shocked Erm Woa there tiger....really??

P.s They'll be in the Championship next season anyway.... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:05 am

Cips should get himself up here - he can share a bag of chips with Gazza while they are waiting to see the JP's after another 'night out'.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:04 am

I did find it a bit weird that Haskell and Palmer have signed for Wasps before their Premiership status has been assured. If they want to be playing international rugby next year then playing in the Championship wouldn't do them any favours.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:49 am

jesus why dont they try and sign up Henson too

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:50 am

thomh wrote:I did find it a bit weird that Haskell and Palmer have signed for Wasps before their Premiership status has been assured. If they want to be playing international rugby next year then playing in the Championship wouldn't do them any favours.
My guess is that they will have clauses in their contracts regarding relegation. After taking a season away from England Haskell wouldn't want to keep himself in exile any longer. Palmer may stay loyal though, he strikes me as that kind of guy.

I too hope that Cipriani has grown up and improved his defense but fear his temperament will always stop him realising his full potential. When all's said and done he's a bit of a plank.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:15 am

Done deal, three years is a decent contract in rugby terms too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9096517/Danny-Cipriani-signs-three-year-deal-with-Sale-Sharks-in-hope-of-reviving-England-career.html
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:04 am

sirtidychris wrote:Its early days but supposedly the Rebels coaching team have been doing alot of defensive work with danny cipriani and watching his first rebels game this season he was awesome in attack and defense.There will always be question marks over his character however and now is the time for him really to mature if he wants to push for england recognition again.

As far as sale sharks and london irish i think both teams would benefit from having such a player however i feel steve diamond and sale would be a better fit and more likely to control the lad with many of cipriani's "friends" aka bad influences based in London. I think London Irish naturally play a more cipriani type game however i believe this is just media speculation as I would be surprised if Mike Catt would let cips come to LI given thier massive bust up.

Did you see him in a friendly? Their season hasn't started yet has it?

I heard a lot of talk about his defence being toughened up prior to the BaaBaas game...it was woeful, absolutely abject. As was his overall performance. Such a shame when you think back to how he burst on to the scene. I'd love him to come good but i don't think it'll happen. I know people can improve their defence (Hodgson for example) but his problem seems to be fear of contact, i'm not sure that can be fixed.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:14 am

If you mean the Crusaders game, i just watched the highlights. As usual, his tackling was pitiful. He will never play for England again is my prediction, and on that evidence, nor should he.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 am

I think that's an excellent signing. I expect he'll be pushing for England recognition by the 6 Nations this time next year.

I like what Diamond is doing. Exciting times to be a Sharks fan I reckon.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:09 pm

I heard a lot of talk about his defence being toughened up prior to the BaaBaas game...it was woeful, absolutely abject. As was his overall performance

Considering some of the players he was playing with just didn't bother I thought he played alright. Not enough to push on into the England side but something certainly above abject. If he can sort himself out off the pitch then the move to Sale could be a good move for him. He's in his mid 20s and has all the attacking and kicking talents required to be a great international he just needs to get his focus sorted and man up in defence. I'd imagine Diamond will hammer that into him pretty quickly.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down