The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Chisora power through?

+7
Rowley
ShahenshahG
hampo17
Marky
compelling and rich
Steffan
thecornerstool
11 posters

Go down

Can Chisora power through? Empty Can Chisora power through?

Post by thecornerstool Fri 17 Feb 2012, 6:57 pm

Taken from http://www.thecornerstool.co.uk

Can Chisora power through?

Written by Ben Ashley

Photo by Danny Hill

Saturday 18th February, WBC Heavyweight Championship, Dereck Chisora v Vitali Klitschko

This weekend Dereck Chisora challenges Vitali Klitschko for his WBC Heavyweight Title at the Olympiahalle in Munich. Chisora is widely regarded as the underdog which is evident by looking at the bookmakers where he is currently priced at 6-1. Whilst Dereck has undoubted potential many see Vitali being too much too soon, especially considering he is coming off the back of 2 defeats in the form of Tyson Fury and Robert Helenius.
Vitali is now into his forties and is expected to retire in the next 18-24 months so if there was a time to fight the current WBC Champion it is at present. Taking this into account I just can’t see Dereck winning the fight – whether it lasts the distance or not. Vitali should have far too much for Chisora to handle and I can see him employing similar tactics from his last fight against Tomasz Adamek. Adamek was subject to 10 gruelling, punishing rounds where Vitali utilised his superior reach and punching power over the smaller man.

You can however argue a creditable case for Dereck, he looks very dangerous when he lets his hands go and does have genuine power. I don’t like to talk about modern day Boxing politics but for any British fighter to win via decision in Germany it has to be a comprehensive performance. Look at the scoring for David Haye V Nikolay Valuev in Nuremburg 2009, how a judge can score the bout an even contest I do not know. I don’t believe relying on the judges scorecards is a viable option for Dereck; he has to come at Vitali and be aggressive. Obviously the danger in this is giving Vitali openings but Chisora isn’t the most mobile of heavyweights so if he sits back and remains fairly static Vitali will be able to pick him off in any case. The first 3 rounds are crucial, if Vitali gains a strong foothold and controls them then Chisora will find it increasingly more difficult as the fight wears on, and you don’t want to be in a position chasing a knockout against either of the Klitschko’s in the final 3/6 minutes of the fight. But if Dereck can land 2/3 big shots and/or frustrate Vitali early on then it ensures that he doesn’t fall behind and puts the pressure firmly on the Champion to make something happen.

Either way it should make for an interesting fight, you can watch the action on Box Nation TV on Saturday evening on channels Sky 456 and Virgin 546.

thecornerstool

Back to top Go down

Can Chisora power through? Empty Re: Can Chisora power through?

Post by Steffan Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:01 pm

Target practive for Vitali I reckon

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:05 pm

i highly doubt it, no doubt vitali has slowed but even at his late stage he's still far better than chisora. vitali still holds all the physical advantages and is in better shape dispite his age. its not even like chisora can hurt him with speed. if a green tyson fury beats chisora easily enough then a old vitali definately does. late stoppage for me.

credit to the hype merchants they have done well making people think del boy has a chance in this

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:14 pm

compelling and rich wrote:if a green tyson fury beats chisora easily enough then a old vitali definately does. late stoppage for me.

I see Dereck Chisora as having the same problems Danny Williams had. Not being motivated for the big fights. And going into the Fury fight, you could tell Chisora wasn't interested in the slightest and he got beat. Despite his other "loss", he has won every other fight he has been in, and although Danny Williams ultimately lost to Vitali, I think Chisora has a lot to prove and will raise an eyebrow or two when he gets the upper hand. He's the underdog and rightly so, but don't write him off based on the Fury fight.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:19 pm

The more I watch the slap and Vitalis reaction afterwards I get the feeling Vitali really wants to hurt him, you could see from Vitalis face afterwards he was thinking about what he will do it Chisora.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:19 pm

Don't have the faintest to be honest - Chisora hasn't fought anyone at this level and Vitali could slow down at any time. But I think its sensible to side with Vitali because everything seems to be in his favour except youth.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:22 pm

not just fury fight, although i see havnt seen the helenius fight so cant comment there. but the rest of his wins hardly a who's who of heavyweight boxing. williams and sexton thats about it. theres a massive gap between world level heavyweights and the klitscho's and del boy hasnt even proved himself at world level yet. think he's going to find out the gap the hard way.

i also dont buy into the he only motivates for the big fights. the fury fight was his biggest fight to date when he fought him

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:25 pm

It is possible Vitali could be there for the taking as everyone gets old but got to be honest think people are overplaying this possibility because lets face it there have not been too many signs, Adamek was more mobile, faster and had youth on his side and he got toyed with by Vitali. However even if he is there for the taking not sure Chisora is the man to do it, his conditioning, whilst on the face of it improved is not anywhere near where it needs to be to set the kind of pace to make Vitali feel his age and he does not have the mobility or footwork to make Vitali chase shadows in there.

Have no doubt Dereck is turning up to win and am equally as confident he will go out on his shield, but go out he will, my guess would be he would be stopped around 8 to 10, possibly whilst still on his feet.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:28 pm

Outside of Lewis, Vit hasn't fought anyone with a slight chance of winning. Importantly he hasn't fought anyone who has belief. He should win, but its not going to be a Briggs style beat-down.

Plus Vit is vastly over-rated imo. I see Del giving him a world of trouble. Vit is old, slow and get past the intimidation factor, he has very little.

The fight is Del's to win. He wont. No hype here. A stationary target makes Vit look unbeatable. Give him angles and he'll be found wanting.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:29 pm

Adamek wasn't physically strong. Del is. Styles and all that jazz. It will be an interesting fight and perhaps a little too early foe Del.

Vit is old, slow, lumbering, oafish and not that big a puncher despite what his record shows. Take him to deep water and he'll fold. He's a front runner.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:30 pm

Del was carrying an injury into the Fury fight. Read nothing into that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Muppets Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:32 pm

I cringed watching the slap video, he seriously has a death wish.

Muppets

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:34 pm

not biting with any of that az, you have already said he would be flat out by 10.01pm. nice to have someone who always goes the opposite of common sense to argue with but not buying any of that crap

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:37 pm

compelling and rich wrote:not biting with any of that az, you have already said he would be flat out by 10.01pm. nice to have someone who always goes the opposite of common sense to argue with but not buying any of that crap

I was just joking there. I've said all along that Del would give Vit a very good argument. Vit will win but he's ripe for the taking. I've said that Haye would beat him and Solis also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:40 pm

azania wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:not biting with any of that az, you have already said he would be flat out by 10.01pm. nice to have someone who always goes the opposite of common sense to argue with but not buying any of that crap

I was just joking there. I've said all along that Del would give Vit a very good argument. Vit will win but he's ripe for the taking. I've said that Haye would beat him and Solis also.

fair enough, time will tell tomorrow night. and we'll see who's right and who's wrong

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:43 pm

azania wrote:Del was carrying an injury into the Fury fight. Read nothing into that.

A glandular problem I assume.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:44 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
azania wrote:

fair enough, time will tell tomorrow night. and we'll see who's right and who's wrong

You reckon its going to be a blowout?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:45 pm

rowley wrote:
azania wrote:Del was carrying an injury into the Fury fight. Read nothing into that.

A glandular problem I assume.

He was injured in the lead up to the fight. It could be fighters making their usual excuses though. But coming in at a career high suggests to me that his training was not the best.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:48 pm

azania wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
azania wrote:

You reckon its going to be a blowout?

vitali will control from the outset starting slowly, everytime del boy comes in he's in he comes off worse because of vitalsi power. after a few rounds off that del boy will run out of ideas and slowly and painfully vitali will break him down to stop him late. credit for del boy if he lasts to go to points which is a possaibilty. but dont see del boy being in the fight

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 17 Feb 2012, 7:53 pm

Vit's power is over-rated. He seldom scored a one punch KO. Lewis said Holy was a bigger hitter. His power commands respect, but so does the power of most HWs. His jab is woeful at best. It was good a few years back. He is physically strong with sound basic fundermentals. But nothing more. A bobbing and weaving Del will give him problems because Vit has lost whatever speed he has.

I can see Del shaking him up as Vit always fights with both hands low when his confidence is high. Del should jump on him (not literally as Del is a little loopy) from the first bell and take him out of his comfort zone.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 17 Feb 2012, 8:10 pm

compelling and rich wrote:i also dont buy into the he only motivates for the big fights. the fury fight was his biggest fight to date when he fought him

But you can't deny that Chisora was all set for a fight with Wladimir that never happened then he was stuck fighting Fury, which was a step down even though he hadn't fought higher.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by tobbox Fri 17 Feb 2012, 8:54 pm

I think Chisora will be competitive for the first four or five rounds but the punishment will take its toll and I see him being stopped before round 10.

tobbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 17 Feb 2012, 9:27 pm

Del was carrying an injury into the Fury fight. Read nothing into that.
Should be beating Fury on one ankle really.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down