The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easter to 2nd Row for Quins?

+4
SirBurger
Bathite
Poorfour
niwatts
8 posters

Go down

Easter to 2nd Row for Quins? Empty Easter to 2nd Row for Quins?

Post by niwatts Sat 18 Feb 2012 - 17:33

It was interesting listening to O'Shea's prematch interview that when commenting on Easter he said that because Easter (33) didn't start playing professional rugby until he was 26yo they had been pretty confident in offering him a contract for a further 3 years.

He then also said that he may move up a row over time, I presume suggesting he could feature in the 2nd row. It would certainly be great to see the very talented Guest (& York) finally get more game time at 8, but do Quins fans think Easter would be that effective at lock and does he have any experience in that position?

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Easter to 2nd Row for Quins? Empty Re: Easter to 2nd Row for Quins?

Post by Poorfour Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 9:14

I can't remember him playing at lock in the past, at least not for any length of time, but there'sno reason he couldn't do a job there. He's not short of grunt in the scrum, and is a very capable lineout operator. He'd probably be most effective if used to partner Charlie Matthews - a good combination of bulk and height there.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 9:59

Easter has certainly played there before, but not for extended periods. Think it was when you had Skinner Robshaw and some other star in the back row, all on form. Can see it being a good move for him, but will need to spend some serious time with the lineout captain I would imagine and he won't be a primary jumper as he isn't athletic or light enough!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 10:21

Easter is actually used as a back jumper quite frequently by Quins so it should be fine. Think it is a natural move over time, although he won't be the tallest lock by any stretch!

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 13:31

I know that, but as I said, not a 'primary' jumper. Still an option, probably back jumper, as many back rowers are

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 18:24

Easter's not the easiest to lift, but he can take a ball one handed and it seems to give him a tremendous reach
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 19 Feb 2012 - 21:41

Easter probably can be a lock but there's only one way we'll find out. And he is a good lineout jumper. Leading the lineout would be a skill to learn but he's a clever player, Easter, I think he'd get used to the nuances of the position. Then we can play Guest at 8 again! Smile All England back-row a possibility (of course with Maurie F there as well) without losing Easter's contribution, and a lump to play alongside Robson. If it works it's an ideal move
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 21 Feb 2012 - 11:08

He's played there before - I thought there was a directive or request from the RFU to try him out in the 2nd row! I didnt think that it worked particularly well for quins though.

Robson-Kohn-Vejellos-Charlie Matthews. I think that we have pretty good players in that position.
Rather than play Easter out of position, I would rather him stay in the back row and as time progresses he covers from the bench - adding that experience and bulk in the latter parts of a match when we need it most.

If we were going to go for a new player in the 2nd row - I would rather bring in a real bruiser-enforcer stylie. A backies botha/Mattfield/Chris Jack/Thorne to finish their career at quins on a 2yr contract would be grand.

They could be our overseas signing - the one thats outside the salary cap.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 21 Feb 2012 - 15:17

propdavid_london wrote:He's played there before - I thought there was a directive or request from the RFU to try him out in the 2nd row! I didnt think that it worked particularly well for quins though.

Robson-Kohn-Vejellos-Charlie Matthews. I think that we have pretty good players in that position.
Rather than play Easter out of position, I would rather him stay in the back row and as time progresses he covers from the bench - adding that experience and bulk in the latter parts of a match when we need it most.

If we were going to go for a new player in the 2nd row - I would rather bring in a real bruiser-enforcer stylie. A backies botha/Mattfield/Chris Jack/Thorne to finish their career at quins on a 2yr contract would be grand.

They could be our overseas signing - the one thats outside the salary cap.

Not Evans then?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 18:33

It's where he used to play, Sheridan and Easter played in the second row together at one point.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 19:14

Really?!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 19:52

So I hear, can't remember where I heard it though.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down