The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do

+14
Jeremy_Kyle
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
Mad for Chelsea
JuliusHMarx
sirfredperry
lydian
prostaff85
invisiblecoolers
noleisthebest
Tenez
Chazfazzer
amritia3ee
Josiah Maiestas
socal1976
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do - Page 2 Empty JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do

Post by socal1976 Sun 19 Feb 2012, 6:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fed seems to have the handle of del po. Juan is big time talent but he is now pretty much getting handled in every big matchup against a top 4 guy. For Juan to reach his proper place he has to find away to turn around his matchup problems with the big 4. Juan hits bigger than anyone when you look at the totality of all his shots, maybe only Sod can match his raw power on a consistent basis. He made minced meat of Berdy in the semis. But for as good as he is, Juan is just being handled too easily by the big 4. What can he do to change it? His A game is great but I think he needs to start adding more to the total package. Obvious area that needs improvement is the variety. If I was Juan, I would really consider working on my non-power game. Slice backhands, feel at net, the lobs, and the drop shots. This is the next move for Juan. In these areas he is inferior to the rest of the big 4 technically. In terms of generating huge serves and groundies he is their equal. To actually win a slam he will have to more completely round out his game both physically, technically, and mentally. Power alone is not enough to get you consistent grandslam successes anymore. That is what I appreciate about the modern game the most.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do - Page 2 Empty Re: JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do

Post by lydian Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm

And to be fair Delpo pushed Nole around at RG last year too until the rain came down...he's a challenge for ANY player on tour when he's firing on all cylinders!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do - Page 2 Empty Re: JMDP my thoughts on what he has to do

Post by sirfredperry Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:49 pm

r-of-the-lost ark
Take your point about including "fit" in the Rafa and Nole-del Potty match ups. I wasn't hedging my bets so much as thinking back to 09 at the French. Now, I have no more info than anyone else, but I feel that a fit Rafa would not have lost to Soderling. Rafa was sufficiently crocked to pull out of Wimbledon. Reckon he should have pulled out of RG and then he might have been fit for Wimbledon.
This is not to detract from Sod's terrific win and he did beat a fit Fed the following year as well. It does show though what can happen when players are not 100%.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:49 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
That already happened during the DC final where Delpo bullied Nadal for a set and a half before being overwhelmed by the crowd and the excessive slowness of the courts prepared ad hoc by the spanish team. The fact remain: Delpo was toying with Nadal for an hour and a half, he could do the same at RG where the conditions are rather faster, i think more suitable to him.

Exactly..though slow clay woudl suit Delpo as well...if not better for the evident reasons.

It's teh 5 setter v Ferrer and the crowd that got the better of him in Spain last november.....in my view.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm

lydian wrote:And to be fair Delpo pushed Nole around at RG last year too until the rain came down...he's a challenge for ANY player on tour when he's firing on all cylinders!

Yep....bar Federer if Fed is on from. Fed is the fastest player on tour and it's teh ball coming back faster which exposes Delpo's slower mouvement. This is why Tsonga struggles too despite being much quicker on his feet.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:54 pm

sirfredperry wrote:r-of-the-lost ark
Take your point about including "fit" in the Rafa and Nole-del Potty match ups. I wasn't hedging my bets so much as thinking back to 09 at the French. Now, I have no more info than anyone else, but I feel that a fit Rafa would not have lost to Soderling. Rafa was sufficiently crocked to pull out of Wimbledon. Reckon he should have pulled out of RG and then he might have been fit for Wimbledon.
This is not to detract from Sod's terrific win and he did beat a fit Fed the following year as well. It does show though what can happen when players are not 100%.

MMhhh..never been convinced by Nadal being injured at that FO09. He made a mockery of Hewitt the previous round...though he kind of struggled the round before...but what can we make of Rafa's wobbly first rounds....he has had some in almost all the 10 slams he won.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:57 pm

I dont deny Rafa as one of the greatest players to have taken the racket, and in my view he is the greatest clay court player ever, but its just a myth that a fit Rafa can never lose to anyone in clay, lets be practical in the first 3 sets of Sod-Rafa encounter, Rafa's movement was perfect and still Sod outpowered him in that particular match.

Saying Rafa not 100% fit is like stealing Sod's terrific win, on that day Sod was clearly the better player and deserved the win, its very unfortunate for Sod that he bet Rafa and Fed in conecutive FO's and not on same FO to claim a title. Sod could have easily gone down as two time FO and only GOD knows how much that would have impacted his confidence and how much he would have won after that.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:04 pm

I Coolers. Never wanted to take anything away from Soderling at RG in 09 and he was also terrific against Rog the following year.
Now I get as exasperated as anyone with Rafa's talk of injuries. Most of the time - in fact nearly all the time - he's fine and should just shut up and get on with it.
However, he pulled out of Wimbledon 09 after the French so SOMETHING must have been wrong. Or was it not injury-related?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:45 pm

sirfredperry wrote:However, he pulled out of Wimbledon 09 after the French so SOMETHING must have been wrong. Or was it not injury-related?

There are other versions out there. Remember he lost lots of weight following that "injury". We will never know why....Some thought it was to ease the pressure on his knees. But the official version always denied that loss of weight and power.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

Yeah, he sure looked different - going from having Popeye-the-sailor-man muscles to looking comparatively flabby.
Well he's fit enough to slog it out for nearly six hours in a GS final so he can't be doing too bad now.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:23 pm

Well, as one who wants to see Del Po do well in the future I am glad that he has such a good following. However, Sirfred is right if Nadal wasn't injured during the FO 09 why did he shut it down and pull out of wimbeldon? As for Del Po defeating Nadal on clay, well it can happen I don't think anyone believes that Nadal or any other player is invincible on a particular surface. I just don't think we will see it this year that is for sure. Although I actually think Juan would be a tough matchup on clay as Nadal's high spinning shots aren't going to put him off like other players who aren't as tall. Still until Del Po beats one of the big 4 again in a grandslam it is going to be hard for me to believe he is back to where he is supposed to be.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:46 pm

if Nadal wasn't injured during the FO 09 why did he shut it down and pull out of wimbeldon?
Easily explained. Nadal purposefully orchestrated a knee injury the same night Soderling brushed him over, via a rage kick to the fridge. A fridge that he did not pay tax for, either!!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:52 pm

Ok JM, and he was the second gunmen behind the grassy knoll as well. I still don't think Juan is going to beat him at RG this year. Nothing from Juan's form in recent matchups against the top 4 guys leads me to believe that he is ready this year.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm

Berdych really made Nadal sweat at the Australian Open, had he had bigger balls he would be 2-1 up in sets in the previous match. Then he plays in Rotterdam smoothly getting to the semi's where a freight train in the shape of an Argentine Gentle Giant downs him very easily. Vamos Del Potro! Cool

ARGENTIIIIIIINAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 23 Feb 2012, 10:49 am

emancipator wrote:His proper place is below the top four.

He is at best a top five player and a dangerous opponent at a slam.

Too much stock is put in his USO victory. That was an exception, an example of a good player with big weapons who was on a hot streak, combined with a below par performance from Federer in the final, that resulted in a slam victory.

Too expect him to develop touch and subtlety is wishful thinking imo. He will never have the movement of the top four and never develop the touch around the net of a Federer or a Murray. Additionally he is likely to struggle in protracted physical encounters; he will never have the engine of a Djokovic or Nadal.

There seems to be some expectation from the general tennis public that Juan will miraculously discover the form of USO 2009. He may do, but most likely only for a few matches at a time. That is not his consistent level, just as FO 2009 is not Soderling's consistent level.

100% correct. I would have failed to have put it better myself

I come on these boards as I expect to get a knowledgeable discussion, i.e. the exact opposite you get from the likes of Grinning Greg etc. Yet, we have some on hear, believing that DP will compete with the Top 4 (always tomorrow or the next slam, note!!) despite all the evidence that clearly shows he's not as good as them

The US Open loss, is and always will be Fed's worse Slam final loss - simply because he was in control of the match, lost his rag and then decided to teach Del Potro a lesson by having a forehand hitting competition. There of course one winner of that contest

No Masters titles - terrible record against his rivals, gangling frame with (understandably) poor co-ordination (in comparison to the Top 4) and his body could never cope with the minimal requirements (i.e. Murray last year) to merely hang on to the coat tails of the Top 3

I remain surprised that anybody else is surprised that Del Potro hasn't done more. For me he's 8th best in the world - which ain't bad

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:04 am

Funnily enough I thought that Del Boy's performance at RG in 2009 was probably more impressive than at USO 2009, which I agree was by far Federer's worst slam final defeat. Del Boy's performance at the 2009 WTF was also excellent in parts - although his limitations were shown by his defeats at the hands of Murray and Davydenko. If he is against a talented player who can use his power, hit early, move fast and has the game to move him around whilst avoiding the temptation of getting into a slugging match he'll be brought down more often than not.

He has not even won a Masters yet - he is not top 4 material, he is a dangerous floater.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 23 Feb 2012, 11:51 am

barrystar wrote:If he is against a talented player who can use his power, hit early, move fast and has the game to move him around whilst avoiding the temptation of getting into a slugging match he'll be brought down more often than not

Sensible stuff 'barrystar'. Bascially, Del Potro is OK provided he's not playing any of the Top 4 Wink

i.e. he's in the 5 to 8 bracket

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:21 pm

Looking at the facts, I still believe JMDP is not too far away from the top 4. It's true that he struggles against Federer, because Fed can turn his powerful groundstrokes against him. But against the other three I think he has a decent chance, even if the H2H doesn't look so good:

Against Nadal:
Del Potro beat Rafa three times in a row in 2009, including a 6-2 6-2 6-2 at the US Open. Then he got injured and didn't play for a whole year. Since his comeback, he's been beaten 3 times by Rafa but the last 2 meetings (Wimbledon and DC final) were extremely tight.

Against Djokovic:
They've met only twice in recent years: Djokovic won a 4-setter at Roland Garros which was just a few months after Del Potro's return to the circuit, and Djokovic had to retire in the DC semi-final trailing 6-7 0-3.

Against Murray:
Not played each other during the past 2 years. In 2009, Murray won three 3-setters on hardcourt and Del Potro won a 2-setter on clay.

Compared to top 4, Del Potro has some disadvantages:
- his rise to the top has been interrupted by a severe injury
- due to his lower seeding, he runs into the top 4 latest at QF-stage. In the last 4 Slams, he has lost to Djoko in 4 (RG), to Nadal in 4 (SW19) and to Federer in 3 (AO). Only at the US Open he had a bad loss.

It'll be interesting to come back to this thread towards the end of this season!
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:43 pm

prostaff85 wrote:Looking at the facts, I still believe JMDP is not too far away from the top 4. It's true that he struggles against Federer, because Fed can turn his powerful groundstrokes against him. But against the other three I think he has a decent chance, even if the H2H doesn't look so good:

Against Nadal:
Del Potro beat Rafa three times in a row in 2009, including a 6-2 6-2 6-2 at the US Open. Then he got injured and didn't play for a whole year. Since his comeback, he's been beaten 3 times by Rafa but the last 2 meetings (Wimbledon and DC final) were extremely tight.

Against Djokovic:
They've met only twice in recent years: Djokovic won a 4-setter at Roland Garros which was just a few months after Del Potro's return to the circuit, and Djokovic had to retire in the DC semi-final trailing 6-7 0-3.

Against Murray:
Not played each other during the past 2 years. In 2009, Murray won three 3-setters on hardcourt and Del Potro won a 2-setter on clay.

I still don't see it. Murray and particularly Nole are better than they were in 2009 and if anything, due to the injuries DP is not as good. I've said before give me a dozen Murray v DP Slam finals any time. This isn't to make out the Murray is vastly superior, it's more that DP's strength can be nullified by the Scot and his weaknesses (poor lateral movement) plays into his hands. That's why he rarely beats the three best movers in the games, Nole, Roger and Andy. If he can suddenly become a good mover, then fair enough!!

Compared to top 4, Del Potro has some disadvantages:
- his rise to the top has been interrupted by a severe injury
- due to his lower seeding, he runs into the top 4 latest at QF-stage. In the last 4 Slams, he has lost to Djoko in 4 (RG), to Nadal in 4 (SW19) and to Federer in 3 (AO). Only at the US Open he had a bad loss.

It'll be interesting to come back to this thread towards the end of this season!
[b]

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:43 pm

banbrotam wrote:
Sensible stuff 'barrystar'. Bascially, Del Potro is OK provided he's not playing any of the Top 4 Wink

i.e. he's in the 5 to 8 bracket
He is in that bracket now. Doesn't mean he will be in the next tournament. The fact is he is really up there with teh top 4 in my view. Federer's quick hands is certainly a tough match for such a big massive hitter. But give his an extra split second to aim and pull and it can be anybody's nightmare on any surface.

I honestly don't see the point to say such a player is not top 4. The fact is Berdych is top 6 but got creamed by Delpo. I am pretty sure that versus Nadal or Murray Delpo will be on a par with them in their next encounter and only a couple of points there and then will decide who is going to win...and I am not sure it's going to be Murray and Nadal.

The world, including teh ranking, is constantly changing...That's the only true fact.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:45 pm

prostaff85 wrote:Looking at the facts, I still believe JMDP is not too far away from the top 4. It's true that he struggles against Federer, because Fed can turn his powerful groundstrokes against him. But against the other three I think he has a decent chance, even if the H2H doesn't look so good:

Hadn;t read your post before posting but I totally agree. Even teh way Delpo wacked a few of Federer's serve last week shoudl be a reason for concern for Murray and Nadal who haven't got as good a serve as Federer. What Delpo coudl do to Murray and Nadal's second serve shoudl be interesting.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:50 pm

I agree that Del Boy pushed Nadal hard at Wimbledon last year, and who knows where he'd be but for that terrible injury.

We are splitting hairs here, but I still see him more as an inconsistent but terribly dangerous opponent rather than a consistent top 4 player.

My view won't change even if his performance in the next big tournament is devastating- which it may well be - I'd like to see him get on a roll first.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:56 pm

barrystar wrote:We are splitting hairs here, but I still see him more as an inconsistent but terribly dangerous opponent rather than a consistent top 4 player.

imo, He is consistent too when it matters. He is no Berdych....even though Berdych is getting there too.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:34 pm

He's not a flake for sure, but that's not the same thing as being consistent, or, more pertinently, consistent in the same way as the top 4 are.

This may be a difficult judgment because we've only really got 2009 to go on for a clear injury-free year, when he was coming up through the ranks anyway, and to be fair his climb up the ranks since his return from injury has been 'consistent'.

Even so, the sort of consistency I am talking about goes a step further, it involves hardly ever losing to someone ranked significantly below you. Whilst he has been unlucky to face the big guns fairly early in several important tournaments his 2011 record suggests that he's not there yet.

Now he's top 10 the benchmark is at least R16 in the great majority of big tournaments, and if he bridges the small gap between himself and Fish it becomes R8 in nearly every tournament - it may be demanding but that's what I want to see before I call him consistent.

Last edited by barrystar on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:42 pm

Looking forward to the DelPo-Davy match. They have an interesting h2h.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:37 pm

Aye - DD in form is just the sort of player to put Del Boy under pressure and feed off Del Boy's power - he won the WTF final in 2009 when they were both, arguably, playing the best tennis of their careers thus far.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 23 Feb 2012, 3:47 pm

I can feel some bitterness towards Delpo in some of the comments above, which imo is not justified. Let's not forget he may not have win a master, but still has won some 9 career titles in a relatively short period. One of those wins, as it's well known is the USO. How can someone play down this win is beyond me, particularly considering he had to beat in succession Nadal and Federer to earn the title. He also got very close in the same year to a prestigious RG final. I actually see him as one of the favourite for the incoming events with the potential to do great things both on hard court and clay.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

Jeremy-Kyle wrote:Let's not forget he may not have win a master, but still has won some 9 career titles in a relatively short period.

Win/Lose in MS 1000s (Overall record 49-27 based on ATP)

Top 4 (at the time of loss) - Federer (3-0), Nadal (1 W/O, 3-2), Murray (3-1), Djokovic (1-0), Davydenko (1-0)

Non-Top 4 (ATP Rank of the winner at the time of loss) - Cilic(29), Fish(15), Stepanek (14), Melzer (43), Ljubicic (66), Nalbandian (8, 25, 2-0), Gicquel (56), F Lopez (33), Moya (19), Dancevic (91), Fognini (211), Gasquet (16), Joachim Johansson (292).

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Juan-Martin-Del-Potro.aspx?t=pa&y=0&m=s&e=su#

BarryStar is referring to this 'lack of consistency'. Wink

Last edited by laverfan on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct errors.)

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:34 pm

JK - I suppose it's possible you mean me and I have no bitterness towards Del Boy, I like him actually and feel desperately sorry that injury struck just as he might have had a chance of building on his US Open win. I'd like to see him mount a challenge to the top 4 - he's shown he can cut through a draw on a one-off basis if he's on a decent streak in a particular tournament, but he's not yet shown a consistent enough run at any time of his career to be seen as on a par with any of them for my money. Of course injury has played a part in that, which merits sympathy but not a re-definition of consistency.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:40 pm

laverfan wrote:
Jeremy-Kyle wrote:Let's not forget he may not have win a master, but still has won some 9 career titles in a relatively short period.

Top 4 (at the time of loss) - Federer (3-0), Nadal (1 W/O, 3-2), Murray (3-1), Djokovic (1-0), Davydenko (1-0)

Non-Top 4 (ATP Rank of the winner at the time of loss) - Cilic(29), Fish(15), Stepanek (14), Melzer (43), Ljubicic (66), Nalbandian (8, 25, 2-0), Gicquel (56), F Lopez (33), Moya (19), Dancevic (91), Fognini (211), Gasquet (16), Joachim Johansson (292).

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Juan-Martin-Del-Potro.aspx?t=pa&y=0&m=s&e=su#

I havent seen as much of your great stats/research as much recently its good to see it back again Smile.
Im guessing being a moderator gets in the way a bit?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

barrystar wrote:JK - I suppose it's possible you mean me and I have no bitterness towards Del Boy, I like him actually and feel desperately sorry that injury struck just as he might have had a chance of building on his US Open win. I'd like to see him mount a challenge to the top 4 - he's shown he can cut through a draw on a one-off basis if he's on a decent streak in a particular tournament, but he's not yet shown a consistent enough run at any time of his career to be seen as on a par with any of them for my money. Of course injury has played a part in that, which merits sympathy but not a re-definition of consistency.

Only very marginally I was referring to you! Smile
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:53 pm

laverfan wrote:

Yes I see, but I also notice an inherent lack of consistency in the stats themself, being those based on such a small quantity of data.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:55 pm

laverfan - and this, some good wins, particularly at the beginning of the year, and you have to admit a steady race up the rankings, but some pretty dodgy losses for someone said to be on a par with the top 4. http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Juan-Martin-Del-Potro.aspx?t=pa&y=2011&m=s&e=0

I have continually acknowledged that his injuries mean that he has not been able to string together a clear year in the way which would assist us with a proper assessment.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 23 Feb 2012, 5:34 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:I can feel some bitterness towards Delpo in some of the comments above, which imo is not justified. Let's not forget he may not have win a master, but still has won some 9 career titles in a relatively short period. One of those wins, as it's well known is the USO. How can someone play down this win is beyond me, particularly considering he had to beat in succession Nadal and Federer to earn the title. He also got very close in the same year to a prestigious RG final. I actually see him as one of the favourite for the incoming events with the potential to do great things both on hard court and clay.

Jeremy I don't hear very much bitterness in any of the posts on this thread. I think everyone here realizes the large amount of potential Juan has and I don't think anyone here took any joy in his injury and was hoping for a full speedy recovery. However, I think Del Po's progress was definetly stunted by the injury. He is not in terms of ability as complete a player as the other 4 guys above him right now. He has a great base to his game but still needs in my mind to work on rounding out his game and softening the hard edges. The results speak for themselves, he is a bit behind the top 4, no doubt he can get there however but there is a lot of work to be done.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 23 Feb 2012, 6:01 pm

LuvSports wrote:I havent seen as much of your great stats/research as much recently its good to see it back again Very Happy.

Im guessing being a moderator gets in the way a bit?

Thanks, LS. Hug. Moderation is easier now with JHM and I being in the mix. Wink

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:Yes I see, but I also notice an inherent lack of consistency in the stats themself, being those based on such a small quantity of data.

I was just researching Masters. Roughly 80 matches (28% of the Career 198-93 W/L), IMVHO, is a good portion. I agree that early MSs skew the data against DelPo. Wink

barrystar wrote:some good wins, particularly at the beginning of the year, and you have to admit a steady race up the rankings, but some pretty dodgy losses for someone said to be on a par with the top 4.

Quite agree. The sore loss was to Simon at R32 USO 2011.

I think, past the Fedals, DelPo would be worthy #3-#4 with Djokurray, if he can master consistency. Time to watch Delpo-Davy first game to Deuce. Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 23 Feb 2012, 6:02 pm

socal1976 wrote:
Jeremy_Kyle wrote:I can feel some bitterness towards Delpo in some of the comments above, which imo is not justified. Let's not forget he may not have win a master, but still has won some 9 career titles in a relatively short period. One of those wins, as it's well known is the USO. How can someone play down this win is beyond me, particularly considering he had to beat in succession Nadal and Federer to earn the title. He also got very close in the same year to a prestigious RG final. I actually see him as one of the favourite for the incoming events with the potential to do great things both on hard court and clay.

Jeremy I don't hear very much bitterness in any of the posts on this thread. I think everyone here realizes the large amount of potential Juan has and I don't think anyone here took any joy in his injury and was hoping for a full speedy recovery. However, I think Del Po's progress was definetly stunted by the injury. He is not in terms of ability as complete a player as the other 4 guys above him right now. He has a great base to his game but still needs in my mind to work on rounding out his game and softening the hard edges. The results speak for themselves, he is a bit behind the top 4, no doubt he can get there however but there is a lot of work to be done.

I think if you read through all comments you will find someone even saying that Dalpo is not in the same league of a top five, which is frankly a bold statement......
You hit the mark when you aknowledge the deep impact the injury has had in slowing down the progress of JMDP. Hopefully this is now a thing of the past and this season will see a completely recovery to the level displayed in 2009.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 23 Feb 2012, 6:04 pm

laverfan wrote:

I think, past the Fedals, DelPo would be worthy #3-#4 with Djokurray, if he can master consistency. Time to watch Delpo-Davy first game to Deuce. Cool

Bold statement LF!!!!!!
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 23 Feb 2012, 6:17 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
laverfan wrote:

Bold statement LF!!!!!!

I have always liked the gentle giant, and if I am allowed to vent a bit, the effing Dick Enberg (CBS) @USO 2009 has been chastised enough, for preventing DelPo from his moment of glory. Wink

PS: JK... can you get on the court and teach DelPo to challenge in a 'timely manner', please. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 23 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

laverfan wrote:
Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
laverfan wrote:

Bold statement LF!!!!!!

I have always liked the gentle giant, and if I am allowed to vent a bit, the effing Dick Enberg (CBS) @USO 2009 has been chastised enough, for preventing DelPo from his moment of glory. Wink

PS: JK... can you get on the court and teach DelPo to challenge in a 'timely manner', please. Wink

Yeah I mean, the whole scenario of a departure of the fedal, the rise of a Djokurray......did you have sweet dreams last night??
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:25 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:
Yeah I mean, the whole scenario of a departure of the fedal, the rise of a Djokurray......did you have sweet dreams last night??

I dreamt about someone reaching 18 slams. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 23 Feb 2012, 8:28 pm

ah that's a good one!
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Feb 2012, 12:01 am

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:ah that's a good one!

I knew you would appreciate that one. Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2