The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruaridh Jackson added to Scotland squad- will he leapfrog Duncan Weir?

+8
justified sinner
MacKnocked-on
123skelm
TJ1
gowales
funnyExiledScot
Rugby_Girl
12 posters

Go down

Ruaridh Jackson added to Scotland squad- will he leapfrog Duncan Weir? Empty Ruaridh Jackson added to Scotland squad- will he leapfrog Duncan Weir?

Post by Rugby_Girl Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

Ruaridh Jackson has been added to the Scotland squad to face France on Sunday. Does this mean he'll leapfrog Duncan Weir onto the bench after just 2 games (1 full game and about 65/70 mins v Connacht)? Everyone knows Andy Robinson likes him so will he be put straight into the team?

Rugby_Girl

Back to top Go down

Ruaridh Jackson added to Scotland squad- will he leapfrog Duncan Weir? Empty Re: Ruaridh Jackson added to Scotland squad- will he leapfrog Duncan Weir?

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 20 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm

If he does it'll be a disgrace. He should very much be 3rd choice right now.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Ruaridh Jackson added to Scotland squad- will he leapfrog Duncan Weir? Empty Re: Ruaridh Jackson added to Scotland squad- will he leapfrog Duncan Weir?

Post by gowales Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:14 pm

If Laidlaw plays like he did against Wales (not well IMO) then he should be dropped and you should start either Weir or Jackson against Ireland.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:17 pm

On what basis would you pick Jackson? What about his last two performances did you like so much that you'd pick him ahead of Laidlaw (or Weir)?

Don't you think Laidlaw's outstanding performances for Edinburgh in the HC this season mean that he deserves more than 80 minutes in an international jersey to prove himself?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:21 pm

Outstanding performances for Edinburgh are one thing international rugby is another. I don't think Laidlaw is ever going to be an international 10, he should go back to playing 9. I think Weir and Jackson are your best options going forward.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:41 pm

Maybe, but right now there's no way you can pick Jackson. He's coming back from a long injury and has been poor in both his comeback games so far. If a player isn't performing in domestic rugby, I don't think he's going to suddenly turn it on against France.

Long-term I also expect Laidlaw to play 9, but currently he's the best bet at 10, with Weir coming off the bench.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:50 pm

Fair enough i kind of got ahead of myself there. Considering the injury that Jackson got. It's probably best to stick with Laidlaw and Weir till the end of the 6 nations and see if Jackson can get some kind of form for Glasgow.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:53 pm

I certainly think with a run of games for Glasgow Jackson will come back into the reckoning for the summer tour. The real issue with Jackson is that his goal kicking isn't reliable enough to be the chosen kicker for Scotland. Now that CP isn't an option at 15, he'll either need to massively improve his reliability or he'll have to be benched or start with Laidlaw at 9.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

Robinson will play Jackson with Laidlaw on the bench and Weir dropped.

Laidlaw is a much better player than Jackson as is Weir.

those who decry laidlaw have you seen him play for Edinburgh? I have and he clearly had that extra star quality. He should be first choice for the rest of the 6N with weir as backup - and hopefully get them both on the park at some point

Laidlaw should have been playing with Blair to get the best out of him

Still bet Robinson will play Jackson tho

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Mon 20 Feb 2012, 7:29 pm

TJ,

Unfortunately I think you are correct, which would be devastating for Weir in being so close to his 1st cap.

I know that he should have not kicked at the death last Saturday, however he definitely got the call from someone but why oh why did Pyrgos not give him the opportunity to go for a drop goal.

Back to international duties I don't think Jackson has really done anything in last two games Saturday was a non event, drop goals from 50 yards.

Weir showed in the A squad with good runners around him he can be very good and has great self belief, maybe Robo does not like that ability?

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Mon 20 Feb 2012, 7:35 pm

I think that Jackson was only selected on the account that he is not Dan Parks, I don't think he has the kicking or controlling game of an international 10 and I don't think he has that great a running game imo I think Weir and Laidlaw are currently superior in every facet of the game and I don't see what Jackson offers that Laidlaw doesn't, Weir can kick penalties from 60m+ so he is a useful player to have on the bench.

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 8:03 pm

Jackson is not on form, he's been very poor in the last two Glasgow games I've watched, infact I can't say I've personally ever seen him really play well. He should not currently be in the Scotland squad nevermind us debating whether he will take Laidlaw or Weir's places.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon 20 Feb 2012, 8:25 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Jackson is not on form, he's been very poor in the last two Glasgow games I've watched, infact I can't say I've personally ever seen him really play well. He should not currently be in the Scotland squad nevermind us debating whether he will take Laidlaw or Weir's places.

+1 however we need at least 3 10s in the squad and rather Jackson than WCP for me. Although both have been rubbish in the last couple of games.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 8:38 pm

Justified sinner, excuse my ignorance but who's WCP? Is it Godman? If so I agree he's not good enough either.
The last couple of Edinburgh and Glasgow games have been very poor, don't think even Visser could expect to get in the Scotland team on current showing, doesn't look very sound defensively to me.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon 20 Feb 2012, 8:59 pm

Sorry MacK, shouldn't use nicknames so much on this forum, yes WCP (World Class Phil) is Good Godman, a nickname in jest which has stuck with the Edinburgh fans.

Bit harsh on Viss it was his young brother who was responsible for the try at the weekend, his defence has looked better this year.

Very happy Tim has signed a contract extension btw.

Last edited by justified sinner on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 9:12 pm

Ah yes, WCP = World Class Phil, no wonder I couldn't work that out.
Don't get me wrong, I hope Visser turns out to be as good for Scotland as we hope he will be.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon 20 Feb 2012, 9:24 pm

Love watching Tim for Edinburgh and in the one chance he's had at a higher level scored 2 for the Barbarians. Would like to see him play for Scotland, he seems to be settling really well.

On his re-signing one of the Irish guys on Twitter asked him how much and he replied

Same, but an Irn Bru after every game.

LOL

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby_Girl Tue 21 Feb 2012, 8:10 am

I don't think Jackson deserves a place on the bench, he needs a good run of games at Glasgow which he hasn't had and in his two games back so far he doesn't look ready for an international.
To me the best option is Laidlaw starting with Weir on the becnh but Robinson likes Jackson so I can see him putting Jackson on the bench. It would be a real blow for Weir if he's not in the team especially after his performance in the A game.

Rugby_Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 21 Feb 2012, 8:12 am

MacKnocked-on wrote:Jackson is not on form, he's been very poor in the last two Glasgow games I've watched, infact I can't say I've personally ever seen him really play well. He should not currently be in the Scotland squad nevermind us debating whether he will take Laidlaw or Weir's places.

It would be silly to bring him in to be honest. I doubt that AR would, he will go with Laidlaw and Weir.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 21 Feb 2012, 1:17 pm

justified sinner wrote: On his re-signing one of the Irish guys on Twitter asked him how much and he replied

Same, but an Irn Bru after every game.

LOL

Well now he's a cert for the team: Scottish all over!

On-topic: AR will put Jackson either at 10 or 21 for France...probably 21 given that Greig did actually score a try arguably in both matches, which is already better than Jackson.

Either way we're going to lose to the French.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 21 Feb 2012, 1:44 pm

Ach, its unfair on Weir. Sad but true. Unfortunately Robinsons selections are always so transparent that you know when someone's going to lose out. Weir should get another chance but I can't see that happening, Robinson is a selection idiot, rather than giving himself a selection headache he gives it to the rest of us!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

the man is a clown.

Weir, Scott and Hogg were the stand out performers for Scotland A against the saxons and for the most part the named 3 have been consistant all season.

Mind you it took Dan Parks' retirement to force Robinson to give Laidlaw his chance.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 21 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

And why is someone like Danielli in the squad when even Jack Cuthbert, for example, would do better with the development?

It's not like we're winning matches anyway so I don't see what harm things like this would do.

I know AR is probably *still* hurting from Tait-Gate but get over it...England and Scotland are different: clearly it's more characteristic for England to bottle it more than Scotland Wink

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down