The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Analysis

+10
barragan
McLaren
hend085
Hibbz
JAS
twoeightnine
golfermartin
Plunky
Fader
beninho
14 posters

Go down

Video Analysis Empty Video Analysis

Post by beninho Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

I had a lesson yesterday for the first time in years, a nice birthday treat from my wife. Anyway it was set up with video analysis. After a few hits - most as inconsistent as usual - i am a 21hc hacker. I watched my swing back, and it actually looked pretty good which i was very surprised with. The pro pointed out 1 little thing and then advised me about balance, and hey presto, it seemed much better.

But has anyone else seen their swing on camera, and what did you think?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Video Analysis Empty Re: Video Analysis

Post by Fader Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:41 pm

When I started playing a little over 12 months ago I went straight for lessons to help me develop as swing and one that would also feel natural, the pro with whom I did the course of lessons with, took Video analysis every time I was with him.

He has even done a copy for me on DVD of what my common faults are and what my actual swing should look like so if I ever start hitting errant shots I can refer to the swing that relates to each shot see what needs changing and correct it.

It's amazing what a little change can do and with the video footage you can see what it is rather than just trying to feel it. It's also the level of service that has me booked in with him for a refresher every couple of months and I find that has help me improve so much and hopefully will continue to.

So Video evidence imo 5stars

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:48 pm

Agree completely. We go to golf school every year -- 3 days of nothing but golf -- and they always start with a video. It's amazing what you can see, especially when they go to slow motion. I used to think I had a nice controlled 3/4 backswing until the first time I saw myself on video. The club went way past parallel, my arms sort of collapsed at the top, and I was actually amazed that I managed to hit the ball at all. Quite an eye-opener, and certainly gave me plenty to work on ! thumbsup

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:12 pm

I had had a few lessons without video analysis then when I did do the video bit, I could not believe how flat my swing was. It wasn't anything like I visualised it in my minds eye. Swing plane is very very difficult to change and I have tried. Since I off the 7 / 8 mark and 55 - not exactly likely to shatter the golfing world. I have decided to make my swing the best and most repeatable I can. But to answer the question - my swing was and probably is a video nasty! No real desire to see it again.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:57 pm

When I came back to playing the game having played as a kid I went for a couple of lessons asking the pro just to give me a few tweaks. First thing he did was video me from behind and the side. Then he stuck it on the PC with David Frost above my two efforts. Somewhere I still have the video from it with the conversation we had. I think my response on being shown what I looked like was, "I think we need to start from the beginning!"

I still get videoed pretty regularly and I find it helps the pro confirm things and allows me to see what I am really doing compared to what I think I am.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 23 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm

Yep I video my swing frequently. I've got the Swingreader app on my iPhone and a dinky wee flexible tripod that attaches itself snugly to th railings at the driving range.
I'm going through weekly lessons at the moment to bed in a fairly subtle but significant change. My pro has asked me to mail him clips from range sessions in between lessons and gives me feedback on what he sees.

I really have no excuse not to come storming out the blocks this year!!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 23 Feb 2012, 4:42 pm

golfermartin wrote:I had had a few lessons without video analysis then when I did do the video bit, I could not believe how flat my swing was. It wasn't anything like I visualised it in my minds eye. Swing plane is very very difficult to change and I have tried. Since I off the 7 / 8 mark and 55 - not exactly likely to shatter the golfing world. I have decided to make my swing the best and most repeatable I can. But to answer the question - my swing was and probably is a video nasty! No real desire to see it again.

A few years ago my mate was fannying around on the range filming his swing and stuff like that. For a bit of fun I asked him to do mine. I couldn't believe how steeply I came in at the ball made me wonder how I hit anything. Screw that for a game of soldiers, told him to delete it immediately and haven't dared do it again. I think I was off 8 then and I'm 6 now so I guess things can't be so bad!

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:59 am

anyone confident enough to upload?!?!? Smile

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:11 am

I'll see if I can upload a couple tonight

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:26 am

I am not sure what value video lessons serve the handicap player other than to really convince them that change is necessary and that their swing does not match the beauty it conjures in their head. Given the changes to the basics most players will need to make it is unclear to me that you could easily spot the differences on a video. All I know is a video lesson often costs more and that a good looking swing is not always the best way for you to swing the club.

I certainly dont want to see the horror that is my swing.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:44 am

i wouldn't be up for the nature of the lowry-esque comments that followed any upload by me Shocked even though my swing is a thing of beauty Cool if only Sad

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

It's been a thoroughly depressing experience for me seeing my swing in freeze-frame/slow-mo. So many small faults apparent even to me aside from the big ones which the pros focused on - there were a few idiosyncrasies which I thought I could live with, but very exaggerated comparing what I thought I was doing with what I was actually doing, and a bunch of things I had no idea were happening.

Still, I'm working at them, one at a time...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Fri 24 Feb 2012, 12:00 pm

I had a lesson with the pro a few months back. We spent time looking at the video and, as has been said by others, I was surprised to see my swing in all its horrors.
However, the pro said that whilst my backswing is pretty ugly the downswing is pretty good and at the point of impact it is very good. So now we are working on flattening the backswing without affecting the downswing too much. The point is to generate more power and consistency.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:45 pm

il see if i can get one up too! have one with a three wood on my phone!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:47 pm

How do we upload images and videos on here and see if I can get one off my phone, the only ones on their are the work in progress ones not the final article but happy to be ridiculed for my efforts.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 24 Feb 2012, 4:02 pm

Basically need to link them Fader. I guess videos are typically from a Youtube feed...

If I can get my act sorted when the weather gets better, I'll register with Youtube, get some video shot and link it here. Should be a giggle; I'll await the plaudits and comparisons with the greats with baited breath!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

ok...... dont be too harsh!!
hitting a 3 wood a few weeks ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzNNoWpE3PM&feature=youtu.be

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:31 pm

Gee I do hope this works....this should be a good display of the flaw i"m trying to bin....

https://youtu.be/eFWTbyxlQWg

...and this is much more where I want to be

https://youtu.be/GZTO70yPCWg

Oh FFS!! Clearly youtube cant recognise the subtle changes required to take me to greatness!!

Last edited by JAS on Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:40 pm

hend085 wrote:ok...... dont be too harsh!!
hitting a 3 wood a few weeks ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzNNoWpE3PM&feature=youtu.be

Looks pretty compact. Assume you hit a fade?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:44 pm

JAS wrote:Gee I do hope this works....this should be a good display of the flaw i"m trying to bin....

https://youtu.be/eFWTbyxlQWg

...and this is much more where I want to be

https://youtu.be/GZTO70yPCWg

Oh FFS!! Clearly youtube cant recognise the subtle changes required to take me to greatness!!
Laugh Seems to think you've uploaded a duplicate video. First 'flawed' swing looks reasonable enough but a bit of an OTT move. Ball flight looks nice enough though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:54 pm

Lets try again with the good one (apologies for the poor light)

https://youtu.be/lprebBDfnnE

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:59 pm

Aye on the first one the ball was left edge of the green NBS. Thats the kind of shot I get away with if I'm on a "good timing" day. Unfortunately it's not the kind of swing that will produce the goods consistently enough to get me to Cat 1

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sat 25 Feb 2012, 6:38 am

Can see what your working on there JAS hope you achieve the required results.

Hend nice and compact, do you play a fade I only asked due to your set up.

Have just had to create a youtube channel to be able to set myself up for ridicule on my swing! Will upload the video of my work in progress (work being on swing plane to help flatten ball flight slightly) once I get home from my comp 2nd round today. Be gentle on me only be playing a year and pro is trying to develop me.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:24 am

Hopefully this will work, as I had to crop it from part of swing video and youtube was not letting me upload the format initially.

This is a 5 iron swing of a work in progress on swing plane.

Excuse the chavy get up I'd gone straight to the range from the gym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFnbt5bTozM&feature=youtu.be

Let the derisory comments and analysis begin. Break me in gently remember i'm somewhat a golfing virgin. Erm

p.s I know my posture needs some work thats what we're doing at the moment to help improve the plane

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Sun 26 Feb 2012, 10:09 am

I actually don't play a fade. It looks like I'm aiming right but it's a right angle dogleg and you can cut the corner

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 26 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

Fader wrote:Hopefully this will work, as I had to crop it from part of swing video and youtube was not letting me upload the format initially.

This is a 5 iron swing of a work in progress on swing plane.

Excuse the chavy get up I'd gone straight to the range from the gym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFnbt5bTozM&feature=youtu.be

Let the derisory comments and analysis begin. Break me in gently remember i'm somewhat a golfing virgin. Erm

p.s I know my posture needs some work thats what we're doing at the moment to help improve the plane
You know, for a self-confessed golfing virgin (how long have you been playing again?), that's a solid swing. Particularly good from the top down IMO with a good weight shift through the ball. No suggestion of starting down with the arms first. Excellent rhythm/tempo.
Can't tell with this down-the-line shot but it looks to me like you have a slight weight shift back off the ball when you start your backswing; maybe not though as angle can't really show it. Setup looks a bit rigid in the spine and I'm not a fan of the 'chin up, eyes down looking at the ball from the bottom of the eyeballs' school of thought.
Looks like you have a good set of fundamentals going on there.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 26 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

Nice swing Fader, definitely a touch of Déjà vu watching you swing the club, just not quite sure what it is. Is there a players swing that you have tried to model yourself on?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:36 pm

Aye decent swing Fader. I've always assumed it's NOT a good idea to go to the range AFTER the gym however looking at how fluid you get through the ball, maybe it's not such a bad idea.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:41 pm

NBS: you have highlighted the exact thing were working on at the moment and that's the rigid set up with the looking out of the bottom of the eyes. Working on a more relaxed spine angle and natural address position.

I see what you mean about the camera angle and weight shift back, however the angle I cut out to make this work on YouTube shows there is not one thank god. But really appreciate the positive comments thanks.

To answer your initial question its a year ago on this coming Thursday that I first picked up a club and since then regular lessons to put together a repeatable action. The posture change were working as mentioned above is I find the hardest thing to bed in but we'll get there with time (I hope)

Maclaren.
Thanks for the nice comment, I've not intentionally set to modelling my swing on a certain pro type, my pro (teacher) did serve a long time with Steve Bann (not sue if its one or 2 n's) who is Stuart Appelbys coach and done some work with Aaron Baddely in his early years. So maybe he's drawn some ideas from those teachings to incorporate into his own instruction. Not that I'm likening my technique to theirs or any players for that matter, just a possibility on teaching styles.

I don't try to replicate any pro swing just my own that is constant evolving with my guys teachings. Though I do like to draw on the tempo of swings like Donald, Els, Goosen etc as they seem unhurried though I do like how Mahan swings the club, but again I'm sticking solely to what I'm taught. I would be interested though in hearing who you would liken it to?

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:46 pm

JAS wrote:Aye decent swing Fader. I've always assumed it's NOT a good idea to go to the range AFTER the gym however looking at how fluid you get through the ball, maybe it's not such a bad idea.

Lots of people have said much the same thing JAS, yet I find after a workout I feel a lot looser and can move better, have even taking to incorporating a light workout before I head off to the course in the mornings as I feel better that way. Somehow I've noticed this has improved my scores whereas when I don't I find even with stretching o don't feel loose until the 5th or 6th holes.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:00 pm

Fader, can i ask how many lessons you have had?

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:37 pm

I dont know Fader, just something about it looks familiar, doubt I will be able to put my finger on it though. Good enough swing all the same, what I would say, as someone else may have mentioned, is that you seem to loose balance a little and move weight back onto your heels on the way down.

Also whats with the weird chin up thing?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 26 Feb 2012, 10:04 pm

Nay I had an initial course of 8 lessons and been having refreshers each month to continue to improve.

Mac the chin thing is merely a drill to stop getting the chin to tucked in, that is now eliminated from my swing so need upload a more recent video when I have one

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Sun 26 Feb 2012, 11:04 pm

Nice swing fader particularly thru impact!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down