The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some fights that COULD or SHOULD happen this year (That DO NOT include Mayweather vs Pacquaio).

+11
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
rycoys
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
DaveVDK
manos de piedra
steven24
Rowley
Soldier_Of_Fortune
School Project
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Some fights that COULD or SHOULD happen this year (That DO NOT include Mayweather vs Pacquaio). - Page 2 Empty Some fights that COULD or SHOULD happen this year (That DO NOT include Mayweather vs Pacquaio).

Post by School Project Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys,

I was thinking of realistic fights that could be made (without including the obvious matches) and thinking about the reasons behind them. These aren’t supposed to be “dream” match-ups or “the best fighting the best” scenarios, but purely realistic fights that would benefit those who fight.

Here’s my list of fights I’ve been thinking about.

Paul Williams vs Julio Chavez Jr:
Some people have defended Chavez Jr, stating he is an exciting fighter, who better to put him in with than the Punisher. Paul Williams has been called “shot”, “washed up” and cries of him “needing to retire” which have all been placed on him based on an off night against Lara and 1 KO loss to one of the best fighters around right now. The fact is, Paul Williams still matters and he is deserved of a shot more than anyone else. What he brings to the table (unlike the majority of JCC Jr’s previous opponents) is experience and an exciting style. A win for either fighter would be big… Chavez Jr would finally have a stern test and a win would silence naysayers of him (like me) and Williams would get a title in the Middleweight division with the thought of a possible rematch with Martinez.

George Groves vs Brian Magee:
George Groves has had a very good year, closely winning a fight against DeGale and his KO of experienced domestic veteran Smith was superb. A step up in class is needed, what better guy is there than Magee. The Irish “road warrior” has been in the fringe contender category for a while and is coming off a recent KO. This is a fight that Groves could win, but with hard work needed. A win over Magee will take him away from the domestic title defences and into the place of contender overnight and it’s a fight that could be made this year easily.

Nathan Cleverly vs Beibut Shumenov:
This weekend Cleverly is defending his title against a nurse, maybe he deserves an easy fight after a tough nights work against Bellew, but I’m sure a lot of people don’t want to see him stagnate the way we accuse Calzaghe of doing. He is Britains only World Champion, so why not match him with someone “in and around” the same level and someone who has a title? Talk of fighting Hopkins, Pascal or Dawson? Suicide! He’s too green. Stick him in with another champion, one with just a little more experience than himself but has something to offer. It would be a good learning fight for Clev and he would gain another belt in the process.

Kell Brook vs Vyacheslav Senchenko or Mike Jones:
Kell Brook has made some waves in the US and has also been knocking on the doors of just about every governing body earning himself “the number 1 contender” spot for all of them… however he’s fighting Matthew Hatton. After this fight the only 2 realistic guys I can see him needing to fight are these two. Both fights would give Brook something… a win over Jones being a strong contender himself would put Brook on the radar in the US and a win over Senchenko would give Brook a belt that (in my opinion) he should already have earned by now. Either one of these fights is a tantalising and realistic goal after Senchenko, Jones and Brook all come away from their booked fights with a win.

Don’t know if you agree with them or if you would add anyone in the mix… or if you can think of any realistic fights that COULD and maybe SHOULD happen this year?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Some fights that COULD or SHOULD happen this year (That DO NOT include Mayweather vs Pacquaio). - Page 2 Empty Re: Some fights that COULD or SHOULD happen this year (That DO NOT include Mayweather vs Pacquaio).

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

Mitchell is not as fast as Khan Steven... I may also be mad but I believe that Mitchell has a terrific chance of beating Rios.

An extremely rare ocassion where I disagree with you School Project!

For me the notion that Rios cuts off the ring faster than Katsidis is just something that you may need to go have little look at... Katsidis cuts off the ring extremely quick whereas Ris plods a bit. Acosta should have beaten Rios and I believe that Mitchell has a similar amount of power as Acosta who had Rios backing up. Mitchell is also elusive and if he pulls out the same kind of performance that he did against Prescott he really can win. He got it wrong against Katsidis and really believe that he will have learnt from it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Some fights that COULD or SHOULD happen this year (That DO NOT include Mayweather vs Pacquaio). - Page 2 Empty Re: Some fights that COULD or SHOULD happen this year (That DO NOT include Mayweather vs Pacquaio).

Post by steven24 Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:29 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Mitchell is not as fast as Khan Steven... I may also be mad but I believe that Mitchell has a terrific chance of beating Rios.

For me the notion that Rios cuts off the ring faster than Katsidis is just something that you may need to go have little look at... Katsidis cuts off the ring extremely quick whereas Ris plods a bit. Acosta should have beaten Rios and I believe that Mitchell has a similar amount of power as Acosta who had Rios backing up. Mitchell is also elusive and if he pulls out the same kind of performance that he did against Prescott he really can win. He got it wrong against Katsidis and really believe that he will have learnt from it.

In my opinion Kev is faster, definitely more accurate and powerful than Khan too. He outboxes Rios easily, wouldn't be an easy fight obviously, Kev is very hard to hit when he wants to be, couldn't stand and trade with Brandon though or it would be goodnight, Rios hits a lot harder than Murray who Mitchell traded with, apart from Guerrero, Marquez i think he's an hard night's work for any of the lightweights (Mitchell). Rios is so beatable, i agree about Katsidis closing the ring off faster than Rios too, Mick is also much faster than Rios, fair play to him he beat Kev but all fighters can learn from a defeat.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:09 am

Mitchell is not faster or more powerful than Khan.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 am

At the weight I think Mitchell has similar power to Khan (who's an accumulation power puncher rather than 1 punch ko) but I cannot agree on the speed. Khan had probably the fastest handspeed since Taylor at the weight and, with all due respect to Kevin, I haven't seen anything to suggest he's in their league.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:16 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:At the weight I think Mitchell has similar power to Khan (who's an accumulation power puncher rather than 1 punch ko) but I cannot agree on the speed. Khan had probably the fastest handspeed since Taylor at the weight and, with all due respect to Kevin, I haven't seen anything to suggest he's in their league.

Yeah, Mitchell is faster than Khan, definitely hits a lot harder too, Khan throws combinations, 4 of the 10 he throws usually land, Mitchell has massive power especially in the left hook, Khan's a terrible finisher as well imo. There's a video on youtube with him on the pads with his old trainer Paul Cook, the handspeed is frightening.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:24 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Mitchell is not as fast as Khan Steven... I may also be mad but I believe that Mitchell has a terrific chance of beating Rios.

Haha it's not often at all... expect an angry PM Alex mate! Whistle

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:16 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:At the weight I think Mitchell has similar power to Khan (who's an accumulation power puncher rather than 1 punch ko) but I cannot agree on the speed. Khan had probably the fastest handspeed since Taylor at the weight and, with all due respect to Kevin, I haven't seen anything to suggest he's in their league.

Talyor puts Khan in the cornor with better combination punching and boxing skills. Although Khan does have a better jab.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

Talyor puts Khan in the cornor with better combination punching and boxing skills. Although Khan does have a better jab.

Doesn't take much to 'put Khan in the corner', cannot box on the backfoot, can't stick to a gameplan against a fighter who wants to be in there with him, connects with about 4 of 10 punches he throws, isn't the best finisher by any stretch, and easy to hit. Very overrated fighter, Khan.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm

steven24 wrote:

Doesn't take much to 'put Khan in the corner', cannot box on the backfoot, can't stick to a gameplan against a fighter who wants to be in there with him, connects with about 4 of 10 punches he throws, isn't the best finisher by any stretch, and easy to hit. Very overrated fighter, Khan.

I agree, it will be interesting to see how the rematch goes and to see if Peterson will pressure him from the off.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Mitchell is not faster than khan in any way but I agree he hits harder but can be bullied.

I do think it's laughable how if a fighter has a loss than he can never be world class. In the history of boxing you never see fighters that list but went on to be world champ. Mitchell didn't turn up granted and was exposed but doesn't mean he's a fighter who can never step out of the European scheme.

That being said I would still pick rios by KO. Kevin was very good v prescot and Murray but he was hurt by Murray a couple of times and was stuck on the ropes for too long. Rios is a much better fighter than katsidis and Murray.

Katsidis may close the ring down a bit better, but get past the 5th and you will see how much he slows down. Rios is the opposite, he pours it on in the final 4 rounds when you are at your weakest. He punches like a welterweight, can ht the body like hatton, is relentless and can take a hell of a beating.

Gamboa may beat him but he is a special fighter whereas mitchell is a good fighter. He is a natural SFW imo and if the talent pool was better he should reside there

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Mitchell is not faster than khan in any way but I agree he hits harder but can be bullied.

I do think it's laughable how if a fighter has a loss than he can never be world class. In the history of boxing you never see fighters that list but went on to be world champ. Mitchell didn't turn up granted and was exposed but doesn't mean he's a fighter who can never step out of the European scheme.

That being said I would still pick rios by KO. Kevin was very good v prescot and Murray but he was hurt by Murray a couple of times and was stuck on the ropes for too long. Rios is a much better fighter than katsidis and Murray.

Katsidis may close the ring down a bit better, but get past the 5th and you will see how much he slows down. Rios is the opposite, he pours it on in the final 4 rounds when you are at your weakest. He punches like a welterweight, can ht the body like hatton, is relentless and can take a hell of a beating.

Gamboa may beat him but he is a special fighter whereas mitchell is a good fighter. He is a natural SFW imo and if the talent pool was better he should reside there

I think he's faster than Khan, I don't think Rios is a 'special fighter' he has shown nothing at all out of the ordinary, i would back Burns, Mitchell, Broner, and Gamboa to beat him convincingly.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:51 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:

This is a fair point and one that cannot be agreed with by me strongly enough, the whole mindset that one loss means automatically a fighter is a bum, overrated or euro domestic level at best drives me insane. Made reference to a book I was reading on Dick Tiger on another thread there was a point in his career when he lost four in a row to domestic level opposition and he went on to be world middleweight champion, a Hall of Famer and is currently considered the 16th best middleweight ever by the IBRO. I have not seen enough of the belt holders in and around Mitchell's weight to comment on his chances against them but his loss to Katsidis does not mean he cannot or will not ever get there, his lifestyle outside the ring however could well do.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:26 pm

rowley wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:

This is a fair point and one that cannot be agreed with by me strongly enough, the whole mindset that one loss means automatically a fighter is a bum, overrated or euro domestic level at best drives me insane. Made reference to a book I was reading on Dick Tiger on another thread there was a point in his career when he lost four in a row to domestic level opposition and he went on to be world middleweight champion, a Hall of Famer and is currently considered the 16th best middleweight ever by the IBRO. I have not seen enough of the belt holders in and around Mitchell's weight to comment on his chances against them but his loss to Katsidis does not mean he cannot or will not ever get there, his lifestyle outside the ring however could well do.

Yeah, he was definitely behaving like a idiot outside the ring, but seems to have addressed it, there won't be no more chances if he messes up again i don't think. Also, at 27 he needs to knuckle down anyway.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Not a chance in hell that Mitchell is faster than Khan, one of the more absurd things i've read but one i'd expect from you Steven. You say Khan only lands 4 out of 10 but that's connecting at 40% which is very good, Mitchell against Prescott landed at a far lower percentage than that and Mayweather widely considered to be the most accurate puncher in boxing today only connects at 50%.

I don't think Rios is anything special with respects to technical ability but he fights perfectly to his strengths, a big puncher with excellent stamina and durability. Would have him favourite over Burns and Mitchell, Broner and Gamboa are hard to judge as you can't be sure how the weight will effect them.

Jeff, losing doesn't matter but the manner of defeat and how you bounce back are important, Khan lost to Prescott but quickly bounced back and for a few years looked set for big things before he lost again. It's another crossroads for him to see how he bounces back, I expect him to re-establish himself as a big player in the 140-147lb divisions as he's done it before. Mitchell has fought twice since his loss to Katsidis, a good win in a competitive fight against Murray and a fight with a nobody, he needs to be more active and step up his level of opposition before he can be considered anything approaching world class.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:23 pm

steven24 wrote:

I agree, it will be interesting to see how the rematch goes and to see if Peterson will pressure him from the off.

My point wasn't meant to be one of Meldrick vs Amir, I was saying they would be two examples of LWs with exceptional handspeed. Mitchell, in my opinion, has never shown similar speed (in the ring).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Not a chance in hell that Mitchell is faster than Khan, one of the more absurd things i've read but one i'd expect from you Steven. You say Khan only lands 4 out of 10 but that's connecting at 40% which is very good, Mitchell against Prescott landed at a far lower percentage than that and Mayweather widely considered to be the most accurate puncher in boxing today only connects at 50%.

I don't think Rios is anything special with respects to technical ability but he fights perfectly to his strengths, a big puncher with excellent stamina and durability. Would have him favourite over Burns and Mitchell, Broner and Gamboa are hard to judge as you can't be sure how the weight will effect them.

Jeff, losing doesn't matter but the manner of defeat and how you bounce back are important, Khan lost to Prescott but quickly bounced back and for a few years looked set for big things before he lost again. It's another crossroads for him to see how he bounces back, I expect him to re-establish himself as a big player in the 140-147lb divisions as he's done it before. Mitchell has fought twice since his loss to Katsidis, a good win in a competitive fight against Murray and a fight with a nobody, he needs to be more active and step up his level of opposition before he can be considered anything approaching world class.

Mitchell was faultless against Prescott, boxed his ears off all night and Prescott couldn't lay a glove on him, Prescott fried Khan in a round, so hardly wise to bring Prescott up if you ask me. Kevin does need to step up i agree with that and definitely be more busier, but he hits harder, is definitely better skills wise than Khan ( he can actually fight on the back foot, Prescott, Murray) and his footwork is about 5 times better than Khan's. He is harder to hit than Khan, and has a better variety of shots. Robert Guerrero and Marquez are the worry lightweight wise

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Marquez is gone from lightweight now I believe. Good chance Guerrero will follow also.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Marquez is gone from lightweight now I believe. Good chance Guerrero will follow also.

Interesting to see who Marquez will fight at an higher weight, he won the Pacquiao fight but that's probably the only 'bigger guy' who'll want any of him. Guerrero is class also.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:25 pm

You're of course right that Mitchell is better in each and every way than Khan that's why he's defended a world title 5 times unifying in the process instead of fighting John Murray and no one else at his weight.

I used the Prescott fight to highlight the fallacy of you're connect % theory.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:You're of course right that Mitchell is better in each and every way than Khan that's why he's defended a world title 5 times unifying in the process instead of fighting John Murray and no one else at his weight.

I used the Prescott fight to highlight the fallacy of you're connect % theory.

Judah, shot to bits. Kotelnik, Maidana definitely not the best, i merely said Mitchell is a better boxer with better attributes than Khan, i don't rate Khan, the Peterson fight highlighted he is clueless when faced with a fighter who has heart which the likes of Judah definitely don't. Peterson couldn't miss him all night. Mitchell is yet to beat a genuine world class fighter, but so is Khan imo (Barrera was also shot to bits). Bradley, Alexander would hurt him much more than Peterson

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Judah, Maidana, Kotelnik and Malignaggi were the best in the division with the exception of Bradley and fairly sure that they all with the exception of Judah have heart so you're talking carp as always. Once Mitchell gets shown up at world level again we'll have this discussion again.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Judah, Maidana, Kotelnik and Malignaggi were the best in the division with the exception of Bradley and fairly sure that they all with the exception of Judah have heart so you're talking carp as always. Once Mitchell gets shown up at world level again we'll have this discussion again.

What you getting wound up for? Kotelnik the best in the division? he had just robbed Maidana and struggled badly until he stopped Gavin Rees, Alexander, Bradley would destroy the fraud. Malignaggi? do me a favour he'd been used as a punchbag by a shot Hatton 2 years earlier and is garbage anyway, Mitchell will win a world title, when he beats Burns, but he would have an easier night with Rios. When Khan stops fighting fighters who aren't world class like Peterson who beat him, come back to me.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Who did you rate at 140lb that was world class?

Bradley aside there were no stand outs for Khan.

Kotelnik, Malignagi, Judah, Maidana, Peterson represented the guts of the division.

Bradley hasnt happened - that should have no argument there.

But Alexander? He didnt set himself apart from any of the names Khan beat. He was fortunate to beat Kotelnik and Mathysse and was well beaten by Bradley.

You could Ortiz possibly, but he was beaten by Maidana who Khan faced.

Aside from Bradley or else moving out of the division, Im not sure there were a great many other options for Khan there and to be fair to him he was targetting a match against Mayweather by all accounts, which was derailed by Peterson.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Kotelnik, Malignaggi, Maidana, Judah and Peterson represented aside from Bradley the toughest opposition in the 140lb division, can make excuses all you want for why they're all rubbish but Khan has a series of good wins and a close loss from that set. I would personally take his opposition over that of Mitchells by a long long way which consists of Katsidis and Murray, the latter of whom is at the level of a Paul McCloskey, a ranked fighter who isn't going to trouble the big boys.

So Towzer you think that Alexander would destroy Kotelnik?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:29 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Who did you rate at 140lb that was world class?

Bradley aside there were no stand outs for Khan.

Kotelnik, Malignagi, Judah, Maidana, Peterson represented the guts of the division.

Bradley hasnt happened - that should have no argument there.

But Alexander? He didnt set himself apart from any of the names Khan beat. He was fortunate to beat Kotelnik and Mathysse and was well beaten by Bradley.

You could Ortiz possibly, but he was beaten by Maidana who Khan faced.

Aside from Bradley or else moving out of the division, Im not sure there were a great many other options for Khan there and to be fair to him he was targetting a match against Mayweather by all accounts, which was derailed by Peterson.

Not just about the opponents, i don't rate the guy, he has poor footwork, doesn't have a plan b when things get heated, and can't take responsibility for being beaten by a kid who fought his heart out and deservedly won, Ortiz, Bradley & Alexander are far better than a shot to bits Judah who isn't as good as them 3 anyway, Kotelnik and Malignaggi, Ortiz comfortably beat Peterson but was robbed to a draw, who then went on to hit Khan when he felt like it and beat him. Khan will carry on fighting fringe world class, well not even that good fighters, he will refuse to move up and face Alexander if he stays there, or Brook, or anyone with a bit of pop in there punches, Berto would be a nightmare for him as well. I also find it a bit strange he wants Peterson again but not Prescott who embarrassed him, i dare say he would earn a lot more fighting Prescott also. Shocked

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:32 pm

So much to gain from fighting a nobody again isn't there when he can aim for a rematch to try and win his titles back, try and use a bit of common sense.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:So much to gain from fighting a nobody again isn't there when he can aim for a rematch to try and win his titles back, try and use a bit of common sense.

Yeah, i've used common sense i would rather fight someone in a rematch who absolutely sparked me clean out and embarrassed me in my own country than fight someone who Bradley used as a punchbag, as did Ortiz. Cheers

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:45 pm

So given the chance to fight for two world titles or a fight offering you nothing in terms of money, titles of divisional recognition, you would take the latter? Of course that makes perfect sense to me.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Also back to a previous point you think Alexander would destroy Kotelnik?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Also back to a previous point you think Alexander would destroy Kotelnik?

I aint called Towzer, i don't respond to questions asked to other people.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:52 pm

So Steven24/89 you think Alexander destroys Kotelnik?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:So Steven24/89 you think Alexander destroys Kotelnik?

steven24 it is, honest.

Alexander won the Kotelnik fight didn't he? i think he won what was a close fight anyway. By your logic then, does being demolished by a 'nobody' make Khan a bad fighter? but you slate Mitchell when he embarrassed Prescott, embarrassed Murray another guy ducked blatantly by Con, sorry Khan*. You won't get me to rate Khan until he fights a few big hitters who are about the same size as him or actually can hit back, Brook would ruin him as well.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:09 pm

So you use the judges scorecards when it suits you but not when it goes against your argument, see that your logic has yet to improve.

Lets put this simply, Mitchell has yet to beat a world level fighter, Prescott was and is useless, he's dined off the Khan win for his whole career, aside from that he's been shown to be useless time and time again. Murray is a decent european level fighter, the fact he didn't face Khan doesn't miraculously make him better than he is.

Khan has beaten four world level fighters;

Kotelnik- A solid world champion who would later be shamefully robbed by Alexander, it wasn't a close fight in any way, Kotelnik won it hands down.

Malignaggi- A skillful and durable former world champion, not a puncher at all but not all world level fighters are, was comprehensively outboxed by Khan before being stopped.

Maidana- The biggest puncher in the division coming off a good win over Ortiz, a man you seem to suggest that Khan ducked, was decked by a brutal body shot in the first before showing incredible heart to roar back and rock Khan badly in the 10th. Surprised this happened as none of Khans opposition has any heart or is it another fallacy to try and discredit him?

Zab Judah- Current world champion who had seen better days but destroyed in a mere 5 rounds by Khan, obviously a former two weight world champion he was never any good in the first place.

Peterson- Lost a close fight which could have gone either way to a fighter who put in a career best performance, rematch lined up to see whether it was a one off loss.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Mitchell is one guy I just dont like. Maybe its because I cant understand a word of what he says, but I hope he steps up and gets exposed again. This time with no domestic issues.

This is one guy who will end up at one of Her Majesty's properties when his boxing career is over.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:So you use the judges scorecards when it suits you but not when it goes against your argument, see that your logic has yet to improve.

Lets put this simply, Mitchell has yet to beat a world level fighter, Prescott was and is useless, he's dined off the Khan win for his whole career, aside from that he's been shown to be useless time and time again. Murray is a decent european level fighter, the fact he didn't face Khan doesn't miraculously make him better than he is.

Khan has beaten four world level fighters;

Kotelnik- A solid world champion who would later be shamefully robbed by Alexander, it wasn't a close fight in any way, Kotelnik won it hands down.

Malignaggi- A skillful and durable former world champion, not a puncher at all but not all world level fighters are, was comprehensively outboxed by Khan before being stopped.

Maidana- The biggest puncher in the division coming off a good win over Ortiz, a man you seem to suggest that Khan ducked, was decked by a brutal body shot in the first before showing incredible heart to roar back and rock Khan badly in the 10th. Surprised this happened as none of Khans opposition has any heart or is it another fallacy to try and discredit him?

Zab Judah- Current world champion who had seen better days but destroyed in a mere 5 rounds by Khan, obviously a former two weight world champion he was never any good in the first place.

Peterson- Lost a close fight which could have gone either way to a fighter who put in a career best performance, rematch lined up to see whether it was a one off loss.

Judah has lost all his defining fights, has no heart and was battered by Joshua Clottey 3 years earlier! says it all really. Malignaggi isn't world class, he is a punchbag at world level, Maidana has no skills and Kotelnik is an heavy bag with a guard. Yes, i think Alexander destroys Khan, even more so after he outclassed Maidana last night.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:00 pm

So all these world level fighters are useless, thanks for clearing that up, says a lot for Mitchell that he lost to Katsidis really doesn't it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:So all these world level fighters are useless, thanks for clearing that up, says a lot for Mitchell that he lost to Katsidis really doesn't it.

No, not really. Khan lost to Prescott, who Mitchell embarrassed, doesn't mean Khan isn't a good fighter, i have never said he isn't good, i think he's vastly overrated by the likes of you, doesn't have a plan b, has poor, poor footwork and boxing ability wise isn't in the same class as Mitchell. Brook is also better in every department than Khan.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:14 pm

I just find it strange that a fighter of Mitchells class couldn't beat a come forward slugger like Katsidis, were he as world class as you suggest he wouldn't have been embarrassed by him and unlike Khan hasn't proved himself since that defeat.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:34 pm

steven24 wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:So all these world level fighters are useless, thanks for clearing that up, says a lot for Mitchell that he lost to Katsidis really doesn't it.

No, not really. Khan lost to Prescott, who Mitchell embarrassed, doesn't mean Khan isn't a good fighter, i have never said he isn't good, i think he's vastly overrated by the likes of you, doesn't have a plan b, has poor, poor footwork and boxing ability wise isn't in the same class as Mitchell. Brook is also better in every department than Khan.

Khan got caught cold by a huge punch. Mitchell went 3 rounds and in every round he was thoroughly outclassed. A huge difference between getting caught cold and being outclassed in every facet of the fight as it went on. Personally I hoped the fight would last longer for Mitchell to get a painful beating.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:45 pm

azania wrote:
steven24 wrote:

Khan got caught cold by a huge punch. Mitchell went 3 rounds and in every round he was thoroughly outclassed. A huge difference between getting caught cold and being outclassed in every facet of the fight as it went on. Personally I hoped the fight would last longer for Mitchell to get a painful beating.

Outclassed? i give Mitchell 2 of the 3 rounds like sky did as well, Khan never got caught cold at all he got demolished and dropped twice, and showed no interest at all in a rematch. Mitchell had joy against Katsidis, and wasn't dropped twice then done a dance to fall onto his stool in the corner, fact. Hasn't proved himself? dismantled John Murray who Khan avoided, and had a keep busy fight before facing Burns. Khan fought Oisin Fagan and then a shot to bits Barrera in his 2 after Prescott notworthy can hardly have a fair view on it can you? you obviously hate Mitchell, think he's a good lad, me.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:51 pm

That world class fight John Murray, just the kind of fighter you prove yourself to be world class against, you seem to be basing it more on the fact Khan didn't face him but I agree Mitchell is the greatest thing since sliced bread and Khan is rubbish.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:49 pm

steven24 wrote:

Outclassed? i give Mitchell 2 of the 3 rounds like sky did as well, Khan never got caught cold at all he got demolished and dropped twice, and showed no interest at all in a rematch. Mitchell had joy against Katsidis, and wasn't dropped twice then done a dance to fall onto his stool in the corner, fact. Hasn't proved himself? dismantled John Murray who Khan avoided, and had a keep busy fight before facing Burns. Khan fought Oisin Fagan and then a shot to bits Barrera in his 2 after Prescott notworthy can hardly have a fair view on it can you? you obviously hate Mitchell, think he's a good lad, me.

I remember watching the fight and the first two rounds were merely Katsidis boxing Mitchell, finding his range and sizing him up. There were two or three occassions where he came forward and had success with Mitchell. On the night it looked as though whenever Katsidis decided to let go he could win rounds. He just chose to sit back and feel what Mitchell had to offer.

You could give the first 2 rounds to Mitchell, no denying. But it's the same argument as Hatton "winning the 2nd by a country mile" against Pacquaio... the outcome was the same and regardless, the stoppage would have come eventually.

The difference with Khan however is that he didn't make excuses for the loss against Prescott. He was caught cold and lost. It was learning curve... no different to the Mitchell loss - he stepped up and fell short, no big deal! Mitchell on the other hand decided to store a load of coke over his mothers house and blitz around Laaaandaaan with knives in his car.

There's no shame in losing the Katsidis, the guy dropped Marquez in an exciting fight! He's always had power. But Mitchells reaction to the loss wasn't particularly the best. Granted Khan put his tin-foil hat on after the Peterson fight, but he got straight back into the ring and built himself back up again.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:50 pm

steven24 wrote:

Boxing ability wise Mitchell is in a different class to Khan? Where's his Olympic medal then....??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:03 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
steven24 wrote:

Boxing ability wise Mitchell is in a different class to Khan? Where's his Olympic medal then....??

Mitchell turned down the opportunity to go to the Olympics to turn pro, he won ABA titles, boxed for England as an amateur that proves he has amateur pedigree. Mitchell can stick to a game plan without being hit regularly (Prescott, Murray), Khan gets hit to easy. Mitchell's footwork's a lot better, his punch variety is a lot better, he is a lot more clever in the ring in the way he avoids shots, Khan is overrated, genuine world class fighters don't get out hustled by a Lamont Peterson, who Bradley used as a punchbag. I find the logic baffling that Khan got 'caught cold' by Prescott, but Mitchell is garbage because Katsidis beat him laughing

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:23 pm

steven24 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
steven24 wrote:

Mitchell turned down the opportunity to go to the Olympics to turn pro, he won ABA titles, boxed for England as an amateur that proves he has amateur pedigree. Mitchell can stick to a game plan without being hit regularly (Prescott, Murray), Khan gets hit to easy. Mitchell's footwork's a lot better, his punch variety is a lot better, he is a lot more clever in the ring in the way he avoids shots, Khan is overrated, genuine world class fighters don't get out hustled by a Lamont Peterson, who Bradley used as a punchbag. I find the logic baffling that Khan got 'caught cold' by Prescott, but Mitchell is garbage because Katsidis beat him laughing

But do genuinely World Class fighters get KO'd in three by Katsidis?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Within two years of losing to Prescott Khan had signed to fight Maidana in the 3rd defence of his world title, in the same timeframe for Mitchell after Katsidis he has beaten Murray and nothing else. Khan learnt from his defeat to become a big name player in his division and despite losing to Peterson is still in the top three, all remains to be seen how Mitchell copes when he steps up again.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Within two years of losing to Prescott Khan had signed to fight Maidana in the 3rd defence of his world title, in the same timeframe for Mitchell after Katsidis he has beaten Murray and nothing else. Khan learnt from his defeat to become a big name player in his division and despite losing to Peterson is still in the top three, all remains to be seen how Mitchell copes when he steps up again.

Your boring me now, lets have the conversation when Mitchell beats Burns

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:03 pm

If Mitchell beats Burns and it's a bit IF it still doesn't put him as a big player on the world scene as he'll still be ranked around the 6 mark depending on what Rios, Guerrero and Marquez do from here.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:If Mitchell beats Burns and it's a bit IF it still doesn't put him as a big player on the world scene as he'll still be ranked around the 6 mark depending on what Rios, Guerrero and Marquez do from here.
No he won't, Marquez and Guerrero are moving up, Mitchell will be top 6 when he beats Burns, and rightly so.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:08 pm

He'll be top 6 depending on whether the big players in the division move up, he wont have got there by rights.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next