The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slam?

+13
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
latino-flanker
rodders
stlowe
Heaf
gelodge
idris
wales606
KickAndChase
SecretFly
Cymroglan
Knowsit17
splenetic
17 posters

Go down

Will there be a 6N Grand Slam this year?

Slam? Vote_lcap35%Slam? Vote_rcap 35% 
[ 13 ]
Slam? Vote_lcap51%Slam? Vote_rcap 51% 
[ 19 ]
Slam? Vote_lcap14%Slam? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 37

Slam? Empty Slam?

Post by splenetic Sun 26 Feb - 19:12

The relevant remaining fixtures:

Sun 4th March
France v Ireland

Sat 10th March
Wales v Italy

Sun 11th March
France v England

Sat 17th March
Wales v France

splenetic

Back to top Go down

Slam? Empty Re: Slam?

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 26 Feb - 19:14

No comment Very Happy

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 26 Feb - 19:36

Wales need to beat Italy to be in with a chance of winning a GS

France need to beat Ireland England and finally Wales all without the benefit of a free weekend and a six day turnaround after the English match.

If I was a neutral betting man I would put my £ on Wales

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Feb - 19:42

Wales need to beat two sides...Italy and France.

France needs to beat three... Ireland, England and Wales.

France have the tougher call. Wales are playing the better rugby. So, it's clear................... I haven't a clue who'll get the Slam or whether any side will!

England and Ireland are still in with a chance of a Championship though ...so still lots to fight for for more than two sides

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Feb - 19:50

The interesting stat about Grand Slams is that there have been as many in the last twenty years as in the prior eighty years. Some say it is down to professionalism, my view the introduction of SH refs has been a significant factor.

Wales have it all in their favour - home fixtures and France with four matches in a row.

An amazing turnaround given their 6N performance last year. Wales are starting to look like Wasps mark ll with a marauding back row, a competent FH, a ball carrying twelve and a blitz defence. A potent Gatland combination, as English clubs found out a few years back.

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sun 26 Feb - 19:55

I hate to say it but nobody is stopping Wales now.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 26 Feb - 20:06

France didn't look great today, though Scotland did play very well. Still, I expect Ireland and England to have a bit more confidence going to Paris and either could turn France over.

If France and Wales make it unbeaten to the last weekend, then home advantage should make Wales favourites for the slam.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by idris Sun 26 Feb - 20:16

France have a VERY tough road to Cardiff.

idris

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sun 26 Feb - 21:48

I've got a sneaking feeling France will do it.

Yes, they weren't particularly great today, but then neither were Wales yesterday, plus they had a 3 week break, were up against a better Scotland than the other teams have so far faced, and in truth, although behind for some of the game they never really looked like losing (more importantly, the players never looked like they thought they would lose).

You could argue that 4 games on the trot will work against them, but then again it could also battle harden them and give the opportunity for a new team to fully find its feet and become fluid. They had 7 games on the trot in the WC and it was in the 7th that they really produced the goods.

The main thing I know about the French is that even if they don't perform to their best, more often than not they do enough to make sure of the win, something 5 6N titles out of the last 10 pays testament to.

I think they've probably got the best front row, backrow, SHs, midfield and maybe back 3 in the competition. When that fully clicks together under this new regime I think the other sides need to be worried.

They've certainly got the more difficult run and I'd be far from surprised to see Wales get the GS, but like I said at the open, I've just got this feeling France will do it once again and have barely started to build up a head of steam.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 26 Feb - 21:53

Given the remaining fixtures and home advantage now Wales have to be strong favourites ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 26 Feb - 21:58

gelodge wrote:I've got a sneaking feeling France will do it.

Yes, they weren't particularly great today, but then neither were Wales yesterday, plus they had a 3 week break, were up against a better Scotland than the other teams have so far faced, and in truth, although behind for some of the game they never really looked like losing (more importantly, the players never looked like they thought they would lose).

You could argue that 4 games on the trot will work against them, but then again it could also battle harden them and give the opportunity for a new team to fully find its feet and become fluid. They had 7 games on the trot in the WC and it was in the 7th that they really produced the goods.

The main thing I know about the French is that even if they don't perform to their best, more often than not they do enough to make sure of the win, something 5 6N titles out of the last 10 pays testament to.

I think they've probably got the best front row, backrow, SHs, midfield and maybe back 3 in the competition. When that fully clicks together under this new regime I think the other sides need to be worried.

They've certainly got the more difficult run and I'd be far from surprised to see Wales get the GS, but like I said at the open, I've just got this feeling France will do it once again and have barely started to build up a head of steam.

France looked out on their feet at the end today, and several players took knocks or went off injured. They will have 2 more, very physical games against strong opposition before facing Wales. If they do win the GS it will be a testimont to France's strength in depth as I feel they will be carrying a lot of injuries by the last weekend.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Sun 26 Feb - 23:30

I think there will be a Grand Slam and it could equally be Wales or France. The run in favours Wales, but surely the WC showed us once more that no matter how tough things look for them, you never write off France. A team that comes within a hair's breadth of beating the current NZ side at home (looking the better side on the day) at the culmination of 2 months of constant rugby is capable of anything.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Feb - 23:34

stlowe wrote:I think there will be a Grand Slam and it could equally be Wales or France. The run in favours Wales, but surely the WC showed us once more that no matter how tough things look for them, you never write off France. A team that comes within a hair's breadth of beating the current NZ side at home (looking the better side on the day) at the culmination of 2 months of constant[ly bad] rugby is capable of anything.

Correct. France always can produce anything on the day. The sublime to the ridiculous. And the WC proved again that both aspects of that caricature worked smoothly.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 26 Feb - 23:39

100% yes Wales will win the slam. No doubt about it. Start printing the merchandise. guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by latino-flanker Mon 27 Feb - 0:07

BUT; the other case scenario could be that France do have two heavy tests ahead of the possible decider in the MS against Wales, so what if they lose to either Ireland (who are on a high ahead of next weekend) or England (who will be looking for a fresh confidence boost after yesterday) wont they then also be like a wounded beast needing to finish on a high??? 4 test weekends for a side like France will be a bonus they can relish and soak up knowing that they enter the fray of the final game of the tournament in the knowledge that Wales are on the back of a probable easy victory against Italy when they will be "coming at `em" battle hardened and baying for blood.... Wales beware as Les Bleus will be firing on all cylinders, its no longer the days of Lievremont and absurd selection and fantasy rugby. But I wish you all the very best as based on the past 3 games and the RWC you deserve it.

latino-flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 27 Feb - 0:22

Cymroglan wrote:Wales need to beat Italy to be in with a chance of winning a GS

France need to beat Ireland England and finally Wales all without the benefit of a free weekend and a six day turnaround after the English match.

If I was a neutral betting man I would put my £ on Wales

Youd also be shocked to find out they have to beat France as well...

Youre right that Wales are more likely to do it, but you get much longer odds on France, and IMO better value.

I think France are the stronger side, but theres not a great deal in it. Injuries are more likely to derail Wales due to their lesser strength in depth.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Mon 27 Feb - 0:42

I think youd have to favour Wales if anyone. However, its one game at a time and Italy could provide an upset and Ive got a sneaky feeling Ireland are going to beat France despite their poor record in Paris.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 27 Feb - 5:48

I said before the 6ns started that i cannot see any team getting a Grand Slam this year, but at this moment you would have to say that if any team is going to get it it would be Wales.

If France had not had their game called off against Ireland, I would of been fancying France.

But seeing that France have to play the next 3 games in a row, i dont know, it is a tough task for France right now.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 27 Feb - 7:49

The mercurial French must also beat their worst enemy - inner demons.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 27 Feb - 8:17

fingers crossed.

france could really stuff it up against ire and eng. wales could score five against ita. and still france could play a fantastic game in cardiff and leave wales wondering how we lost it.

if form was all you were going on you might choose wales, but this is wales and france we are talking about, two of the most inconsistant sides in rugby
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down