The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ken Owens the Unsung Hero

+6
Cadair Idris
Smirnoffpriest
bedfordwelsh
RubyGuby
gowales
Dontheman
10 posters

Go down

Ken Owens the Unsung Hero Empty Ken Owens the Unsung Hero

Post by Dontheman Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

We have all been lamenting our lineout for years saying how crucial it is for getting attacking position. Some teams have been licking their lips at kicking to touch for us to mess it up. Thankfully Huw Bennett did a good job in the WC but back to the frailties in the 6N. In comes Ken Owens and hello the lineout is as smooth as clockwork 9 out of 11 on Sat and a lot of those clean ball to the last man in the line. He took one of his throws so quickly the lines had barely assembled. Is that legal - must be they weren't called back. Another plus Not just a one off either made a good impression when he came on for Bennett against. Scotland. Useful in the field too. Not sure about scrum. Thing is No. 2 ain't so sexy compared to backs halves and flankers but he's doing a good job and he should know it

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Ken Owens the Unsung Hero Empty Re: Ken Owens the Unsung Hero

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:10 pm

Well, the scrum went really well too. Against Ireland and Scotland our scrum was neither dominant or dominated, pretty even really. However, against the English, who are always strong srrummagers we had the nudge on a number of occasions. Could it be that Ken Owens strengthens the scrum too???

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:17 pm

With Huw Bennett the lineout was pretty much identical so no Owens isn't an unsung hero.

Last edited by gowales on Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:26 pm

Great unsung hero - we heard so much about Englands inexperinced team that they forgot to mention this was Owens first start in a welsh jersey. In theory he's our 4th choice hooker but in reality there's not much between the 5 of them IMO. Same goes for Ian Evans our 4th choice lock - Well done lads thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:42 pm

Ruby,

Evans won't be 4th choice for long, I have always thought hes the big lump we need in the 2nd row so I reckon its a fight for the other slots.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:44 pm

Charteris 6 10 and Ianto 6 8ins would be a great combo IMO - what a lovely day it is here in Cornwall thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:50 pm

considering this was Ken's first start I thought he played amazingly well. Really proud of him, a couple of wobbles in the lineout but otherwise I think it's worked the best it has all tournament. Thought he was very solid in the scrum, and brilliant in the loose.

He even dealt with a late shoulder barge in the back off the ball by Lawes!

All in all, a v good match from him, so da iawn Ken clap

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:08 pm

I'm really pleased for him - I've thought for a while that he was our most promising hooker and glad he's been given the chance to show it, and with Bennett going to France next year he should get more opportunities.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm

Yes, agree - wouldn't be at all surprised if Ken is our no.1 hooker by next year's 6 nations. And I also reckon Ian Evans will take some shifting from the starting line up.

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:27 pm

I would leave him start again against Italy with Rees or Bennett on the bench to give him that extra game time at this level then decide on who to pick for the France game.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:29 pm

Cadair Idris wrote:Yes, agree - wouldn't be at all surprised if Ken is our no.1 hooker by next year's 6 nations. And I also reckon Ian Evans will take some shifting from the starting line up.

Well at 6ft 8 and with that build he'll take some shifting to get him anywhere!

But yes he has done very well and it'll be interesting to see who wins the battle for the lock positions in the summer as really there's 5 players in with a shout - Evans, AWJ, Bradley, Charteris and Ryan J which gives us really good strength in depth.

At hooker I'm really hoping a 3 way battle develops between Rees, Owens and either Bennett (or if he's frozen out when in France) Burns.

All we need then is to give Gill and Mitchell more game time and bring Delve back in to the mix and we'll have strength and depth all over the pack.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:30 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I would leave him start again against Italy with Rees or Bennett on the bench to give him that extra game time at this level then decide on who to pick for the France game.

It's difficult as Rees needs gametime as well to get back up to scratch - maybe start with Owens and bring Rees on after 50/60 mins

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

Looking toward the future I wonder how Evans and Charteris would fare together?

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:33 pm

priest,

If I am honest I would be tempted to rest Rees entirely now and get him firing for summer tour and the AIs.

We keep saying he is our 1st choice hooker, which on previous form he is but when was last time him Gethin and Jones all played as a unit.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:34 pm

I like the thought of that pairing - the grunt of Evans and the athletism of Charteris would be pretty interesting, especially as it should improve the lineout as well.

But no matter whose chosen I still thank the lord that we haven't got Jon Thomas and Andy Phillips as our main backrowers

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:36 pm

Owens had a good day at the office, got over a couple of wobbles to throw into the line well, his scrummaging was good and along with Adam Jones really helped take apart Hartley/Corbs. Made a couple of neat carries and worked his socks off all game.

I was more excited about Gill in the first game against Ireland mind, he looked a controlled aggressive prop with a fair bit of dynamism.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:37 pm

That's a good point Bedford - we certainly wouldn't be hugely weakened if Rees didn't have any part against Italy and France, and as you say he could come back fighting fit for the Scarlets and ready for the summer tour (much as Henson will be).

It has been awhile since our 1st choice first row has been out together

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

Jon "who can I punch next" Thomas was once a promising talent. It's a shame he became such a liabilty.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:00 pm

It's also a shame that he picked up so many caps before Gats realised that he's become a liability. He was once a good(ish) player though.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:24 pm

Bit harsh on JT - he served Wales well and we have now moved on and upwards - he made good contributions in 2005 and 2008 after rocketing on to the scene in 2003. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:34 pm

The lineout was still awful. I can't remember us winning a lineout in Englands 22 and them stats do not tell the whole story as some of them lineouts we won went to the wrong person or was just poor quality ball.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:41 pm

Agrees,Rhino.Stats can and do lie.Our lineout did not function well unless my telly is rubbish.Got new glasses so my sight is ok!!
Twasnt rubbish/twasnt great.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:42 pm

Exactly Taff. Don't get me wrong i thought Owens had a good game in the loose but sad to say Rees is probably the better line out option if he is ever fit.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down