The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Gwent Dragons v Munster. Saturday 3rd March 18:30. Rodney Parade

+9
BigTrevsbigmac
theskippingpig
BlueMuff
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
munkian
profitius
Impossible Standards
MMC
13 posters

Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Munster. Saturday 3rd March 18:30. Rodney Parade Empty Newport Gwent Dragons v Munster. Saturday 3rd March 18:30. Rodney Parade

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb - 12:44

No extended squad named as of yet for the resurgent Dragons, but the general thoughts are that we will get Luke Charteris and Tondi Chavhanga back from their respective injuries. Both are returning at a key time, as Dragons have lost evergreen lock Adam Jones and Adam Hughes to injury (though Hughes shouldn't be laid off for too long).

Munster will of course be heavily hit by the loss of their Irish players and their recent record at Rodney Parade isn't too great. But of course they have been known to cheat out victories when their squad has been stretched similarly before.

Personally, I am looking forward to this game after four months away from Dave Parade (in a weird bit of symmetry, my first game back last year was Munster home) and hopefully the fact we have a decentish turnout given the favourable kick off time for once. Given the lack of internationals on show, I guess it'll be a gate of 5k or so.

Any Munster supporters coming over for this?

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Munster. Saturday 3rd March 18:30. Rodney Parade Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons v Munster. Saturday 3rd March 18:30. Rodney Parade

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb - 12:56

Will be great for the Dragons to have Charteris back. Out of interest, has he actually played for you guys this season yet?

Will be interesting to see how he goes anyway.

From what I remember, tis usually a good game between these two sides, so fingers crossed for a good game and a decent crowd OK

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons v Munster. Saturday 3rd March 18:30. Rodney Parade Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons v Munster. Saturday 3rd March 18:30. Rodney Parade

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb - 13:28

I think it is aye. Bad luck for him really given that he's our captain. Just went to RP to pick up a few tickets (and get fleeced by the wife for a Dragons shirt) and saw him training, so obviously the WRU are happy for him to play for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb - 13:40

Well that's good news then Rev (maybe not the being fleeced part!)

Bet you can't wait to go watch them live again. Atmosphere's always so good at RP, bet it'll be a cracker again this weekend Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Wed 29 Feb - 13:44

Risca Rev wrote:No extended squad named as of yet for the resurgent Dragons, but the general thoughts are that we will get Luke Charteris and Tondi Chavhanga back from their respective injuries. Both are returning at a key time, as Dragons have lost evergreen lock Adam Jones and Adam Hughes to injury (though Hughes shouldn't be laid off for too long).

Munster will of course be heavily hit by the loss of their Irish players and their recent record at Rodney Parade isn't too great. But of course they have been known to cheat out victories when their squad has been stretched similarly before.

Personally, I am looking forward to this game after four months away from Dave Parade (in a weird bit of symmetry, my first game back last year was Munster home) and hopefully the fact we have a decentish turnout given the favourable kick off time for once. Given the lack of internationals on show, I guess it'll be a gate of 5k or so.

Any Munster supporters coming over for this?

Seriously?
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb - 14:27

I'll be honest MMC, I was hoping Red Stag would be the first to read and notice that. No I am not being serious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 29 Feb - 14:43

Looking forward to this. We always seem to do well against Munster at home so I'm hoping we can get a win and start climbing the table. 2 wins in a row for the first time this year, lets make it 3!
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 29 Feb - 14:50

Munster have to cheat out victories to win Pro 12 games. Everyone knows that! lol
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Wed 29 Feb - 15:39

Fair enough Rev. Hug
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Wed 29 Feb - 16:12

Dragons home record against us is very impressive. I wouldn't be all that confident of getting a result over there this weekend. Munster are Munster though so you'd never know.

From a Munster point of view a win would be fantastic as it'd put us in pole position to take the 2nd home semifinal place from the Ospreys considering we have a game in hand (against Aironi the week after).

For Munster, I would expect something along the lines of:

1. W Du Preez
2. D Varley
3. BJ Botha
4. B Holland
5. M O'Driscoll
6. Dave O'Callaghan
7. T O'Donnell
8. J Coughlan
9. T O'Leary
10. I Keatley
11. S Zebo
12. L Mafi
13. D Barnes
14. J Murphy
15. F Jones

What's the likely Dragons team?
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 29 Feb - 16:36

Charteris is back!

Newport Gwent Dragons Squad
Phil Price, Nathan Williams, Steve Jones, Sam Parry, Nathan Buck, Dan Way, Rob Sidoli, Jevon Groves, Luke Charteris, Lewis Evans, Tom Brown, Gavin Thomas, Darren Waters, Hugo Ellis, Wayne Evans, Jonathan Evans, Jason Tovey, Steffan Jones, Lewis Robling, Ashley Smith, Andy Tuilagi, Will Harries, Aled Brew, Tonderai Chavhanga, Martyn Thomas
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb - 16:45

CHARTERIS BACK IN DRAGONS SQUAD FOR MUNSTER CLASH
By Edward Rice | Wednesday, 29 February 2012
Newport Gwent Dragons have named a 25 man squad for the visit of reigning RaboDirect PRO12 champions Munster to Rodney Parade.

Captain Luke Charteris is fit and named in the squad having been injured since returning from the Rugby World Cup with Wales.

Also fit again is South African international winger Tonderai Chavhanga following a rib injury sustained against the Ospreys in early January. Chavhanga takes Adam Hughes’ place in the squad after the facial injury he picked up in last week’s win in Aironi.

Flanker Darren Waters returns to the squad following the knock he took in the win over Edinburgh with Rhys Jenkins and Royce Cadman missing out.

Wales U20 scrum half Jonathan Evans remains with the squad with Joe Bedford out with a shoulder injury.

To see Luke Charteris in action on Welsh soil for the first time since the World Cup get your tickets for Saturday's match now!  Contact the ticket office on 01633 670 690 or you can buy tickets online by clicking here. 

STATS
• Newport Gwent Dragons have won their last two games in the RaboDirect PRO12 against Edinburgh and Aironi.
• The last time the sides met, at Musgrave Park earlier in the season, Munster won by 20-12.
• The Dragons move up one place in the RaboDirect table following their win over Aironi, moving ahead of Edinburgh and Connacht and are now within 3 points of 8th place.
• Munster have not won at Rodney Parade since March 2009.
• Jason Tovey is 3rd top points scorer in the RaboDirect PRO12 this season with 133 points. Duncan Weir is top with 148.

Newport Gwent Dragons Squad
Phil Price, Nathan Williams, Steve Jones, Sam Parry, Nathan Buck, Dan Way, Rob Sidoli, Jevon Groves, Luke Charteris, Lewis Evans, Tom Brown, Gavin Thomas, Darren Waters, Hugo Ellis, Wayne Evans, Jonathan Evans, Jason Tovey, Steffan Jones, Lewis Robling, Ashley Smith, Andy Tuilagi, Will Harries, Aled Brew, Tonderai Chavhanga, Martyn Thomas.

Players not considered through injury:
Lloyd Burns (neck)
Adam Jones (foot)
Andrew Coombs (shoulder)
Scott Morgan (shoulder)
Mike Poole (knee)
Pat Leach (hand)
Joe Bedford (shoulder)
Adam Hughes (facial)

I did laugh at Adam Hughes missing the game to have a facial. The vanity of the modern day player.

MMC, if I was a betting man I'd suggest.

15 Martyn Thomas
14 Tondi Chavhanga
13 Andy Tuilagi
12 Ash Smith
11 Aled Brew
10 Jason Tovey
9 Wayne Evans
8 Gavin Thomas
7 Darren Waters
6 Lewis Evans
5 Robert Sidoli
4 Luke Charteris
3 Nathan Buck
2 Steve Jones
1 Nathan Williams.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Feb - 16:59

Though Darren Edwards has been talking up Tom Brown this week, so maybe he'll play 8 and GT back to 7.

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Thu 1 Mar - 9:51

Munster Rugby wrote:
With 20 players either injured or not available to train because of their involvement with the national squad, Munster have named a 29 strong squad for the RaboDirect PRO12 game against Newport Gwent Dragons in Rodney Parade on Saturday.

Danny Barnes is missing having sustained a knee injury in the win over Cardiff Blues on Friday but recent signing Save Tokula is named in the squad.

Also included are Damien Varley and Denis Hurley, both were in Carton House for the week. Varley was dispatched on Wednesday but Hurley and Simon Zebo an absentee from the Munster squad, remain for until Friday.

Munster Squad: F Jones, L O'Dea, S Scanlon, J Murphy, D Hurley, S Tokula, L Mafi, I Keatley, S Deasy, T O'Leary, D Williams, C Sheridan, M Horan, W du Preez, S Henry, M Sherry, D Fogarty, D Varley, J Ryan, S Archer, BJ Botha, I Nagle, D Foley, M O'Driscoll, B Holland, T O'Donnell, Dave O'Callaghan, P Butler, J Coughlan.

Bit of a blow to Munster not having Barnes and Zebo to pick from. I hope Barnes' injury isn't serious.

From the squad selected I'd imagine the most likely team is:

1. Du Preez
2. Varley
3. Botha
4. Nagle
5. MOD (c)
6. DOC2
7. TOD
8. Coughlan
9. TOL
10. Keatley
11. Hurley
12. Mafi
13. Tokula
14. Murphy
15. Jones

16. Sherry
17. Horan
18. Archer
19. Holland
20. Butler
21. Williams
22. Deasy
23. O'Dea.

Nice to see Sherry back in a Munster squad. He'll quickly become Munster's no.1 hooker if he stays injury free.

Tokula at centre seems like a certainty now that Barnes isn't available. I know nothing at all about him other than that he's quick.

I think the Dragons can definitely turn this Munster side over. I'm very interested to see how they get on though.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 1 Mar - 11:49

C'mon Dragons Wales

Hoping for a massive crowd, unfortunately I can't go as it's a friends Birthday - selfish git
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 1 Mar - 17:52

MMC, if I was a betting man I'd suggest.

15 Martyn Thomas
14 Tondi Chavhanga
13 Andy Tuilagi
12 Ash Smith
11 Aled Brew
10 Jason Tovey
9 Wayne Evans
8 Gavin Thomas
7 Darren Waters
6 Lewis Evans
5 Robert Sidoli
4 Luke Charteris
3 Nathan Buck
2 Steve Jones
1 Nathan Williams

Rev,

I would be happy with that and am home this weekend, tickets waiting to be collected so hoping for good game and a good Dragons win.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 1 Mar - 18:06

Great news this. Need to get the youngsters following the region.

Story here

Bedford, seems like they are expecting a relatively bumper crowd. I don't think there'll be that many, but hopefully it'll be a good evening out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 2 Mar - 12:25

Here's the match-day squad:

15 Will Harries
14 Tonderai Chavhanga
13 Andy Tuilagi
12 Ashley Smith (c)
11 Aled Brew
10 Lewis Robling
9 Wayne Evans
1 Nathan Williams
2 Steve Jones
3 Nathan Buck
4 Luke Charteris
5 Rob Sidoli
6 Jevon Groves
7 Lewis Evans
8 Tom Brown

Replacements
16 Sam Parry
17 Phil Price
18 Dan Way
19 Hugo Ellis
20 Darren Waters
21 Jonathan Evans
22 Jack Dixon
23 Steffan Jones

Jason Tovey nowhere to be seen. It's a surprise, but then it's good that we're giving his (potential) successors game time ahead of next season. Fingers crossed Robling has his kicking boots on.

Great to see Charteris back, and Chavhanga too - let's hope we can work him into some space.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri 2 Mar - 13:31

Munster Rugby wrote:
On the day that Mick O'Driscoll makes his 200th appearance for Munster, Save Tokula will make his first, in the side that takes on Newport Gwent Dragons at Rodney Parade (Saturday 6.30).

With Danny Barnes out through injury, Tokula, who arrived in Cork last Sunday week, lines out in the centre alongside Lifeimi Mafi, in a backline that shows just two changes in personnel from last weekend's.

Simon Zebo's involvement with the national squad all week renders him unusable so Luke O'Dea comes into the starting XV in his place.

Up front, only the back-row remains the same.

Dave Foley replaces Billy Holland at lock while Denis Fogarty replaces Damien Varley - who was also involved in Carton - and Stephen Archer starts in place of BJ Botha.

Munster:
15. Felix Jones
14. Luke O'Dea
13. Save Tokula
12. Lifeimi Mafi
11. Johne Murphy
10. Ian Keatley
9. Tomás O'Leary

1. Marcus Horan
2. Denis Fogarty
3. Stephen Archer
4. Dave Foley
5. Mick O'Driscoll capt
6. Dave O'Callaghan
7. Tommy O'Donnell
8. James Coughlan.

Replacements: Mike Sherry, W du Preez, BJ Botha, B Holland, P Butler, D Williams, S Deasy, Denis Hurley.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 2 Mar - 13:32

Shame about Gav and Martyn Thomas missing. I'd have started Darren Waters instead of Jevon Groves. Whilst we need to expose Robling and Jones more, I'd have selected Tovey for tomorrow, but there we go. Funny how my mind has changed slightly over the result now I've seen our lineup, because our extended squad had me quite positive.

It'll be a good evening anyway. I can't wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri 2 Mar - 13:34

Entirely second string frontrow. I'm glad to see BJ getting a rest though. He's been starting every game for the last good while. Big game for Dave Foley in the 2nd row.

The backrow looks good.

The backline is where it gets very interesting. If the pack is able to give them quick ball then I think they could cause problems. It's a big if though.
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sun 4 Mar - 7:15

What a second string front row our scrum was really strong and must have yielded 8 or 9 penalties. Overall we did our best not to win but were just to powerful in the end especially when bj and Hurley came on.

The new centre had a nightmare first game lets hope it was just nerves. Coughlan was my mom he carried tackled and won ball he is having some season and deserves to be looked at for Ireland

Good 4 points away in a very tough venue. Second place looking secure can we chase down the ladies?

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by theskippingpig Sun 4 Mar - 7:42

I thought the Dragons deserved something out of this game as they played some good rugby and scored a great try. However until the front row issues are sorted there is no way they will win games. Penalties and yardage are conceded at allmost every scrum and good field position is being lost.

It was really frustrating again that the final score ended up as it did.

theskippingpig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 4 Mar - 9:58

The problem is that good props are like rocking horse sh*t. The Dragons can't afford to buy good props so we have to develop them. That means putting kids and/or 'not quite there yet' players in. As soon as they do get half decent then they're enticed away for better money that we can't offer them. I really can't see a way out of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 4 Mar - 10:26

I thought the Dragons were well beaten by a second string Munster team. But the shocking statistic must have been the knock on count for both teams - I've never seen so many in one game.

I agree re comments about the Dragons front row they looked very raw. Charteris looked very rusty but that is understandable.

Good to get the local kids clubs involved though OK

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 4 Mar - 14:13

Good turnout last night by the looks. I've never seen the Bisley Stand so full anyway. Dragons fitness looked a bit off possibly. Our scrum is an annoyance again and until we sort that then we won't start doing anything on the road and more teams will get something from RP.

Munster did well to win that, but we shouldn't be losing at home like that. I never really felt comfortable when we were leading at halftime though. Was delighted with our try. Just watched it back and it looks like Will Harries could probably have thrown a dummy and gone over himself. Shame really, but a classy break anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 4 Mar - 17:24

Poor defending for the try but otherwise an okay performance and good win. I think Keatley is in big enough trouble of becoming 3rd choice for Munster, the coaches didn't seem to have faith in him to turn it around at the end of the game.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 4 Mar - 18:01

Neitger Munster nor Dragons deserved to win that dreadful match that got the ref it deserved.
Dragons try was about it in terms of quality.The youngster that came on for us looks a prospect.
Far from convinced by our SA wing who appears all flash and no dash!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Mon 5 Mar - 22:04

In truth, the match was pretty poor. Far too many errors from both teams. I thought the dragons slightly edged it, but they gift-wrapped munster the win.
On the Bislet stand being full. The local youth teams in the area were offered £10 tickets and I think children were free. Not sure what they saw on the pitch will bring them rushing back!
On Chavhanga. I do feel a bit sorry for him. I can't really recall seeing him in open space in the 6 months he's been here.
I'm pleased to see Robling get a chance at 10. I think it's right that we look forward to next season and looking at Jason Tovey's tweets, he may stay at 10 until the end of the season.
Well if our season wasn't over before Saturday, it sure is now. I can only guess as to what our team will look like next year. I fear more out of contract players are going to leave.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 5 Mar - 22:12

We're doomed!As an Aber fan I have been here before!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 5 Mar - 23:06

I watched parts of it back and we were pretty awful at receiving kick offs. With regards to our wings, well both of them aren't really getting the service they want. I'm sure Brewy would love some of the opportunities from last season again too.

I am dreading the summer though, as I am not a fan of Darren Edwards' recruitment thus far either.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 6 Mar - 7:24

I am still amazed as to how Munster won that match by 10 points, i truely am.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down