The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another international scalp for Tigers academy

5 posters

Go down

Another international scalp for Tigers academy Empty Another international scalp for Tigers academy

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:32 pm

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/13505.php

After seeing off both England and Wales under 18s Tigers welcomed Canada under 19s to Leicestershire for a Wednesday night friendly. See the match report.

Some big names missing from the academy (Steele, Lyn and Pohe the usual 9/10/12) but they still romped to victory. Pacey winger El Mahdi continuing to show promising form and bagged himself a hattrick.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Another international scalp for Tigers academy Empty Re: Another international scalp for Tigers academy

Post by Geordie Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Englands team in a few years could be interesting reading.....

Tuilagi
El Mahdi
Munipoli (spelling/) (Tigers prop)
Vunipola

Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Another international scalp for Tigers academy Empty Re: Another international scalp for Tigers academy

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Mulipola is a 24 year old Samoan international. Sadly there's no chance of him playing for England.

Leicester is a multi-cultural city with a huge Asian population (the Golden Mile boasts the biggest Divali celebration outside of India) as well as African etc communities. Sooner or later Tigers will tap into that market in a big way (they've been trying to for a long time). Javiah Pohe is a Tigers academy player in the England under 18s if you want another non standard English name.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Ah i thought he was another young polynesian growing up here....

Yes i have lots of friends in Leicester and am fully aware of the cultural mix....and i also agree that sooner or later more and more players from different ethnic backgrounds will be coming through. That can only benefit the Tigers....

Maybe we can try it with the ... Northumbrians.. Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Ah i thought he was another young polynesian growing up here

He was without a club following the RWC and was waiting until his Hawks Bay contract started this summer. Brookes was injured and Tigers needed some prop cover so Freddie Tuilagi (now rubgy agent) gave Cockers a call and recommended Logo who is now a fan favourite. Unfortunatly Tigers are now trying to buy out his Hawks Bay contract so he can have the whole of pre season with Tigers rather than arriving back in November time.

Speaking of cultural mixes the increased publicity of the Japanese League and Hong Kong Sevens has seen increasing numbers of Oriental students attending Tigers games. Good to have them on board and spreading the Tigers family.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Leicester has always been upheld as paragon of virtue with its cultural mix.

But very lucky to have been a magnet from the South of the subcontinent?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Well the downside to having a multi cultural team is it might turn off some traditional supporters who prefer to see White players playing.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:23 pm

profitius wrote:Well the downside to having a multi cultural team is it might turn off some traditional supporters who prefer to see White players playing.

I'm sure - not to say certain - that Tigers fans would appreciate any player of any creed or colour. And the more English they are the better (imo).
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Well the downside to having a multi cultural team is it might turn off some traditional supporters who prefer to see White players playing.

Erm... I've never known a Tigers fan care to be honest. Judging by the cult statuses achieved by the Tuilagi's and Castro I'd say colour, creed and nationality have nothing to do with who the supporters take to. Whether a player is judged to be a 'Tiger' is down purely to the commitment and that players ability to buy into the culture at Welford Rd.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Its an interesting debate all the same and probably deserves a thread of its own.

Have Tigers the best academy in Britain? The Ospreys would be there or there abouts too I would say.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:48 pm

I don't think you can clearly define 'best' as there's no obvious competitive structure by which to measure the teams and the players. It also depends heavilly on whether you want results right now or are adopting a long term view on the matter.

Tigers haven't played the Ospreys this season they narrowly lost to the Blues 14-12, recorded a comfortable win over the Scarlets and hammered the Dragons by 40 points.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:52 pm

profitius wrote:Well the downside to having a multi cultural team is it might turn off some traditional supporters who prefer to see White players playing.

Well Julian is a bit of a folk hero, but most people are happier to see Cole playing.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:34 am

profitius wrote:Its an interesting debate all the same and probably deserves a thread of its own.

Have Tigers the best academy in Britain? The Ospreys would be there or there abouts too I would say.

Oh i think a few other clubs would argue with THAT statement. Certainly we produce many class players through our accademy.

Also i would be AMAZED if any tiger fan stopped going to games because of colour or nationality.

Leicester have always prided themselves on being the best and having the best players..both English and foreign, black, white, yellow, green, purple...its irrelevant...(and i would expect the same at other clubs also)

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:43 am

Yeah we even positively encourage the Geordie people in. Signing a welshman might be a bit much for me though.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:41 am

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Friday-Interview-Logoviii-Mulipola-creating-big/story-15374064-detail/story.html

Geordie that's the first interview with Mulipola. Quite interesting.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:51 am

Logoviii . How on Earth is that pronounced - or is he King Logo VIII?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:03 am

I think they just call him Logo. I feel sorry for Alessana's poor wife. Imagine having to cook for two Tuilagi's and Logo, must take all day to cook enough meat for those 3.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down