The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super XV Round 2 Preview/Live match thread

+9
Pal Joey
kiakahaaotearoa
formerly known as Sam
Full Credit
Taylorman
Rava
yappysnap
Biltong
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Super XV Round 2 Preview/Live match thread Empty Super XV Round 2 Preview/Live match thread

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:08 pm

Super XV Round 2 Preview

Competition table
Australian Super Rugby Conference
Team P W L D B PF PA PD Bp Ttl
1. Reds 1 1 0 0 0 25 21 4 0 4
2. Brumbies 1 1 0 0 0 19 17 2 0 4
3. Rebels 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 4
4. W.Force 1 0 1 0 0 17 19 -2 1 1
5. Waratahs 1 0 1 0 0 21 25 -4 1 1

New Zealand Super Rugby Conference
Team Nation P W L D B PF PA PD Bp Ttl
1. Highlanders 1 1 0 0 0 23 19 4 0 4
2. Crusaders 1 1 0 0 0 19 18 1 0 4
3. Blues 1 0 1 0 0 18 19 -1 1 1
4. Chiefs 1 0 1 0 0 19 23 -4 1 1
5. Hurricanes 1 0 1 0 0 26 39 -13 0 0

South African Super Rugby Conference
Team Nation P W L D B PF PA PD Bp Ttl
1. Stormers 1 1 0 0 0 39 26 13 0 4
2. Lions 1 1 0 0 0 27 25 2 0 4
3. Bulls 1 1 0 0 0 18 13 5 0 4
4. Cheetahs 1 0 1 0 0 25 27 -2 1 1
5. Sharks 1 0 1 0 0 13 18 -5 1 1

Chiefs vs Blues
Both the Chiefs and Blues suffered narrow losses at home last week, and will want to get a win on board. Injuries mean both teams field re-shuffled front rows, with the Chiefs have also have Tawera Kerr-Barlow and Asaeli Tikoirotuma fill halfback and wing injury vacancies respectively. Ma’a Nonu has returned from Japan but is not yet available so the fans miss out on a mouth-watering clash between him and Sonny Bill Williams. Blues by 5.

Rebels vs Waratahs
The Waratahs suffered a home loss in the big Aussie derby last week, they will be eager to get their season back on track against the Rebels, who had the bye in round 1. Danny Cipriani starts at fly-half inside James O’Connor for the Rebels, while Kurtley Beale and Stirling Mortlock are out injured. Given enough ball the Rebels could sneak this one, Rebels by 4.

Lions vs Hurricanes
The Lions would like to follow up their first win at home since 2009 this weekend against a Hurricanes team who in spite of being penalised heavily last Saturday made a good challenge against the Stormers. John Mitchell will be pleased about the win last weekend, but he will also realise that the longer the competition goes on, the better teams will execute, so he would want his team to strike early and execute well. The hurricanes may not look like a team that is playing well as a collective unit, but individually they have dangerous runners. Lions by 8.

Highlanders vs Crusaders
Both teams won away in the North Island in round 1 to set up a cracking South Island derby at the new “House of Pain” in Dunedin. Currently, sadly, it is the Otago Rugby Union and Dunedin City Council who are feeling all the (financial) pain of the new stadium. The Crusaders have brought Zac Guildford back onto the bench after his month-long suspension, while Adam Whitelock will replace the injured Ryan Crotty. Crusaders by 5.

Reds vs Force
The defending champions return home fresh of a win over the ‘Tahs in Sydney with 5 positional changes forced by injuries to Scott Higginbotham, Anthony Faingaa and James Hanson. However they should still be too strong at home for the Force, who lost in Canberra last week. Reds by 12.

Cheetahs vs Bulls
It is very likely that this match will follow much the same pattern as the Bulls vs Sharks game of last weekend. The Bulls have decided due to the instruction of SANZAR to the referees to be very strict at the breakdown that they will play vintage 2009 rugby, kick, chase hard, force errors and strangle teams in their half. It is doubtful whether the Cheetahs will be able to cope with those tactics. Bulls by 8.

Stormers vs Sharks
A key clash here for the South African conference sees the Sharks visit Cape Town coming off a narrow away loss in Pretoria last week. The Stormers looked good beating an ill-disciplined Hurricanes team in week 1, though they will be disappointed at scoring 39 points without getting a 4-try bonus point.

The Sharks will have added motivation and pressure to come away with a win against the Stormers this coming weekend, they would not want to put themselves under the same pressure as what they found themselves in beginning of the season last year. The Sharks functioned well last weekend, but lacked discipline in execution and that would be vital in turning over the Stormers.

The Stormers on the other hand will have Andries Bekker to control the lineouts, but will miss the physicality of Schalk Burger. A tough game to call, Sharks by 4.

Bye: Brumbies

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Super XV Round 2 Preview/Live match thread Empty Re: Super XV Round 2 Preview/Live match thread

Post by Biltong Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:24 pm

Nice one Kiwi, Graham Henry reckons the Chiefs are going to beat the Blues.

I want the sharks to beat the stormers, but I think the Stormers will take it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Super XV Round 2 Preview/Live match thread Empty Re: Super XV Round 2 Preview/Live match thread

Post by yappysnap Thu 01 Mar 2012, 8:39 pm

Good post Kiwi,

I'm expecting the reds to win again this weekend and to actually look like a team who have met before as well.

As to last weeks Reds match, what a try that was! There are no commentators better then the Australians for going crazy over as well.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 01 Mar 2012, 8:43 pm

Good analysis Kiwi, but I am staying with my secret formula for predicting the results. Did OK last time so I will see how I get on. Didn't get to see much of the action so will try to rectify that this weekend.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:38 am

biltongbek wrote:Nice one Kiwi, Graham Henry reckons the Chiefs are going to beat the Blues.

Does he? I thought he picked the Blues on Reunion the other night...anyway... what does he know
laughing
With the Chiefs injuries and Blues fuming after a Saders loss last week Blues will be firing.

17 points I went for... Ranger, Wulf to fire again... Yahoo

Taken the Sharks over the Stormers and I wouldnt be surprised if the Rebels go well. Pre-season matches they made the most of their new stars. Surprise package early on perhaps...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:40 am

oops spoke too soon... try Chiefs...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:51 am

Taylorman wrote:oops spoke too soon... try Chiefs...
Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:07 am

Can't disagree with too much there kiwi, except I wouldn't put my hard-earned on the Rebels doing much. I think the tahs will be seething from last week and may inflict some hurt on poor Melbourne.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 02 Mar 2012, 7:30 am

29-6 to the Chiefs at half time, I expect I'm well wrong on this one.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:02 am

Rebels are taking a thumping too, shipped four tries in 43 minutes and it's now 12-32 O'Connor has kicked 4 goals for them.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:09 am

The Cipriani/O'Connor combination was always going to be great in attack but weak defensively. Mortlock really needs to be there to cement that midfield.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:28 am

Not sure if it was them that conceded the tries or not. I remember their wingers were rubbish at defending too last season.

On a plus note they did get a penalty try late in the game to finish 19-35.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:46 pm

Never thought the Chiefs had a result in them like that but that was a wet rugby lesson for the Blues who are equally used to the rain. Not going to gloat as the Highlanders could pull the same number on the Crusaders. But a perfect opportunity to see us pull clear in the conference.

Good match up with Blyendaal (this kid needs a nickname!) and Slade for the AB first five life after Carter scenario. Or at least life when he´s taken away from us with injury.

Think the Stormers at home will beat the Sharks and the Waratahs will beat the Rebels. Some TAB inspired bets there Kiwi!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:30 pm

Actually Slade is not playing. Joseph is making sure he´s fully fit which seems like a wise decision so Slade doesn't get to play against his young ex team mate.

Plus just saw now the Waratahs crushed the Rebels. Not too good the picks for you this week Kiwi! I must confess I didn't pick the Chief´s win.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:07 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Actually Slade is not playing. Joseph is making sure he´s fully fit which seems like a wise decision so Slade doesn't get to play against his young ex team mate.

Plus just saw now the Waratahs crushed the Rebels. Not too good the picks for you this week Kiwi! I must confess I didn't pick the Chief´s win.

I knew that would happen, as soon as I published them!
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 02 Mar 2012, 5:29 pm

Here's Rugby Dump's plays of week 1:
http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/03/2379/rugby-club-plays-of-the-week-2012-round-1
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 02 Mar 2012, 6:50 pm

Yes extremely disappointed with the blues who were just plain DUMB!
In wet weather they just kept grabbing at and snatching the ball continuously.
No one took control enough to pull the 50/50 calls in and instead try and build at least some form of momentum. Every chance they got they just snatched at knocked it on, got stripped of the ball or aimlessly kicked it away.

The Chiefs meanwhile were superb and for the weather looked like a dry patch for them- passes sticking and even the runners appeared to be finding all the dry earth available they looked so quick.

I think kudos must go to Smith and Rennie because kia's right. The Chiefs have never looked this composed or in control. You always expect them to fall off at some point.

Canes are 27-28 down with 13 phases on and last minutes...penalty attempt canes...77 mins.
Over...looks like another close lions loss.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 7:09 am

Great win by the Canes in the final minutes.

13-10 to Otago-Southland at Forsyth Barr... tries to Dagg and Hore.

Great atmosphere in Dunedin. The Highlanders have their tails up at the moment as they make another foray into the Canterbury 22.

Had an OK week so far tipping Chiefs by 6, Tahs by 16 and Canes by 8.

Difficult for me to pick this match (Mum was born in Invercargill, did nursing in Dunedin but grew up in Okuku, Mayfield & ChCh) but I just have that gut feeling of a slight upset and tipped the Highlanders by 3 in a close one.

For the other matches I went for the Reds by 18, Stormers by 12 and another upset with the Cheetahs scraping home by 5 points in Bloemfontein over the Bulls. (I think I'm gonna regret that last one!) laughing

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 7:17 am

Phil Burleigh powers over in the corner. Sephaka adds the extras.

Highlanders 20 - Crusaders 10 at half time.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 03 Mar 2012, 7:19 am

This is a great match. Best one so far in my opinion. I like the way the Highlanders play, they try to go wide when possible but when its not on they pick and drive. Some of the other teams in Super rugby could learn a thing or two from that mindset

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:10 am

27-24 to the Highlanders... the clock is ticking down.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:12 am

It's a great style of play isn't it, GoWales?

Best game of the round so far.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:13 am

Linebreaker wrote:27-24 to the Highlanders... the clock is ticking down.
The clock's got a bit ahead of itself.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:16 am

That was bizarre. Anyway, time eventually passed and they win by 3.
What a match... home advantage played a large part in that win.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:18 am

Yes what a great game, spoilt by the onfield clock not including stoppages but as a spectacle fantastic match. We have to be happy with the NZ sides so far (well four of them at least) but the Chiefs and Highlanders have certainly added some spice to this tournament. thumbsup

Reds next and a couple of good local derbys in SA during the night...

Last edited by Taylorman on Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:19 am

Although there's no guarantee they would have wound the clock down for 4 mins it would have been a cruel way to lose / draw for the highlanders. Great game, fantastic team try to seal it with Gear over in the corner.

Roll on the reds.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:22 am

Good pick by 3 LB- right on the money! thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:23 am

Tks Taylor!

I've shot up the SG rankings from 5th to... 4th? Very Happy
Need to check.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:31 am

I've shot down from 5th to100th? furious Doh

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:40 am

I think I've gotten every game wrong so far this round Doh

A shame about the ground clock, I suspect the Crusaders wouldn't have tried that 53m penalty if it had been correct either. Had they kicked for the corner instead it could have been a great last 5 mins.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:51 am

4/4 for me.
I'm on a tightrope now. That's my best winning streak ever. Smile

Only 4 games to go. What could go wrong to reverse the current trend of results?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 9:20 am

Radike Samo bursts away for another 50m+ dash to the line. Superb run from the big fella!

Reds 20 Force 6 approaching HT

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 03 Mar 2012, 9:29 am

Nice run by DK. The reds must be wondering how they're up by 17 at the half.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 9:46 am

Pocock scores a try right under the posts after a strong run beating all defenders.

26-13 to the Reds after 50 mins.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 9:52 am

Craig Stannard in for a try after another dazzling run to the line.
He converts his own try.
26-20 now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 9:54 am

Kiwi,
Shall we make this one a sticky and add/change it to Round 2 "Live Match Thread"?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:53 pm

Samo is a legend, what a run from that intercept. Run

Michalak is going well in SA, seems to have fitted in really well and is playing some brilliant rugby.

Any big hits or dazzling tries from the weekend then people?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 03 Mar 2012, 9:16 pm

yappysnap wrote:

Any big hits or dazzling tries from the weekend then people?

Hosea Gear hit Israel Dagg two beauts, the second one perfect timing...didnt see all the matches but the Highlanders efforts stood out for me this round.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 03 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm

Right...that's it.

I'm not tipping the Cheetahs ever, ever again. laughing

(Unless they're playing some injury-riddled Oz side in Bloemfontein.)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 04 Mar 2012, 1:13 am

You did well though LB. Last week I got them all but Blues who could have won with Piris DG. This week? blah...

At least Biltongs keeping me company- only one apart...

furious

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 04 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

Taylorman wrote:You did well though LB. Last week I got them all but Blues who could have won with Piris DG. This week? blah...

At least Biltongs keeping me company- only one apart...

furious

Yeah, didn't think the Crusaders would lose, and those damn Lions.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 05 Mar 2012, 4:15 am

Yeah for us the Blues are a major, major disappointment. It all now traces back to the culture Lam seems to have instilled- or lack of it.

The Highlanders Crusaders are always a big one and I think you'll find the Highlanders beat them more than most- did last year as well. Its the big brother getting his dues thing...

The plus for us are the Chiefs and Highlanders starts and jury's still out on the canes- still expect them to finish near last.

So we'll have to see how we go this week. Who's going up (or down!) Yahoo Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 05 Mar 2012, 6:07 am

Well hopefully my picks start going up. That was a woeful week for me. Poor from my Crusaders as they didn't learn from last year and played the wrong tactics. Senior players like Read should put up their hand and say they need to redeem themselves at home against a Chiefs side that looks to be an improvement on last year. The Canes look to be playing like a team and one shouldn't underestimate their difficult start to the year. They look a lot more useful than last year. When the derbies come for them, it´s going to be interesting to see how they come up against the teams with their ex-players like the Blues. Could be some fireworks.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 6:53 am

still have a few of the weekends games to watch, but was impressed with the Bulls. The number 7, Potgeiter I think was a one man wrecking ball at the contact area against the Cheetahs, and Francois Hougaard was a constant threat (harsh red card in my opinion btw). Have also been impressed with the young 12 Venter. Looks a decent player.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:57 am

the Bulls must have read my match report of last weekend, because they played a different game alltogether, it could be down to the opposition they faced on the weekd though and doesn't depict how they will play other top teams either.

The shraks was a serious threat to them, so they decided to let them play the rugby and the Bulls will work off the errors, aainst the Cheetahs who they have not yet lost to for some time if ever in the super rugby, they might have decided this is a game they can afford to play more risky rugby and need 5 points from the game.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:47 am

I am really enjoying the games. Didn't really watch much last year but decided to get into it a bit this time. Very impressive from the Bulls, and I agree with Ozzie about the No.7.
I'm doing fairly well in the Sport Guru as well and that helps.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:56 am

Ozzy, hougaard got a one week suspension for that tip tackle.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:44 am

I can see why, as the player did go over, but it's a bit harsh for me. The player basically went over as he was trying to get the ball back on his own side, and looked like he landed arms first as opposed to head/shoulders.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:46 am

Look, I don't think hougaard intended to lift the player in such a fashion, I had an argument over the weeknd at a camp fire whilst we were watching the match and he was extremely upset about the card, and I tried to explain to him it was the IRB directive, and the problem once again is interpretation of the law, and then you add intent.

At the end of the day it is technique, ignoring everything else, tacklers know their momentum must be lateral and not up.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

biltongbek wrote:Look, I don't think hougaard intended to lift the player in such a fashion, I had an argument over the weeknd at a camp fire whilst we were watching the match and he was extremely upset about the card, and I tried to explain to him it was the IRB directive, and the problem once again is interpretation of the law, and then you add intent.

At the end of the day it is technique, ignoring everything else, tacklers know their momentum must be lateral and not up.

Jeebus I wish I was in your company Bil! Sounds great! Outside TV and all Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next