The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interview with Journeyman "Rockin' Robin" Deakin.

2 posters

Go down

Interview with Journeyman "Rockin' Robin" Deakin. Empty Interview with Journeyman "Rockin' Robin" Deakin.

Post by thecornerstool Thu 01 Mar 2012, 7:23 pm

Just thought I would share this Interview I did with Robin Deakin for http://www.thecornerstool.co.uk

Join us on facebook too https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/216400245121365/

Written by Danny Hill

Photo by Bernard Miller http://www.presquevu.com/

At 45 fights many boxers would be looking to hang up their gloves and look at different career options, they would be looked at as a veteran and would be reminiscing at past glories. This is not the case for Crawleys “Rockin’ Robin” Deakin. At 25 years of age and with just 5 years in the pro game he is one of the most recognised journeymen in British boxing. After winning his first pro fight he has gone on to lose his next 44 fights in succession but has not shirked away from some of the best fighters on the domestic scene. His glory days are certainly not behind him, and he has a long career ahead of him yet.

As well as his boxing career there is much more to Deakins’ story. Robin was born with a leg disability meaning he couldnt walk until he was 6 years old after enduring many leg and foot operations. It must have been a tough ride and it is this sort of fighting spirit that manufactures a journeyman and is what makes them one of the most important parts of the boxing world. It comes without saying, without the journeyman there would be no boxing.

I put some questions to Robin to learn a bit more about his past, and his future.

How long have you been involved in boxing and what inspired you to turn pro?

I got involved in boxing when I was 6 years old as I wanted to try strengthen my legs as they were very weak with all the operations. I grew up watching ricky hatton and prince naz, I always used to dream about being them! I boxed out in Jersey in 2005 and met the legend Steve Collins. So, after meeting Steve Collins we kept in touch and I met frank warren and turned pro in 2006.

You’ve fought some great fighters, who would you say was the best you’ve come up against?

I’ve boxed the likes of Ant Crolla, Patrick Hyland, Ricky Owen, Josh Wale and Stephen Smith and not only are they hard bar stewards I also get on with all of them so well. At the time I boxed all of those great fighters I will say the one that hit the hardest and I can still feel the punch now (haha serious) is Stephen Smith. I would say they have all improved so much especially Crolla and Ste Smith, so Ste Smith and Crolla are the best i’ve boxed. I can see them all going on to great things and it was a pleasure sharing the ring with with.

Where lots of boxers have their fights handpicked to get wins on the record you have gone the other way fighting some of the best up and coming british fighters, gaining the title of Journeyman. What would you say was the reasoning behind this?

I don’t know, I have had it hard all my life so I want to be recognised for that. I have always loved to fight hard people or people with a name. As a kid I used to always have street fights with the ones who used to bully, and who people were scared of. I used to love being recognised as the man that stood upto the bullies. With the boxing I suppose it was the same sort of thing, I wanted the reputation for fighting the best so people knew me and would say “there’s Robin Deakin, he beat so and so”. Obviously that didn’t happen haha, it’s more like “there’s Robin Deakin, he got bashed up by Stephen Smith” haha but that’s why I take hard fights. Boxing is risky, anything can happen.

Journeymen have a reputation for been hard fighters and are vital to the sport, but what keeps you motivated despite not getting the results?

I get motivated because as a kid I was told I wouldn’t be able to walk, so fighting and doing what I love doing keeps me motivated. I love street fighting, so what would I do? Street fight and not get paid, or entertain the crowd, give them the fight they want to see and get a bit of pocket money! I don’t street fight now as boxing has probably kept me out of prison, so that’s what keeps me going. I love entertaining the fans and i’m privileged to share the ring with future world champs.

Who would be your dream fight for 2012?

Bradley Saunders. I respect this kid as he was in the 2008 Olympic team but I saw his first fight and he looked Poopie. So, Bradley Saunders, man up. The reason I say that is because I messaged him on facebook saying well done in your first fight and I hope to box you next. He said “sorry, who are you!”. I laughed at myself and thought he obviously doesn’t follow boxing. I’m the most well known journeyman in Britain and he obviously doesn’t know I come to win. Dean Powell, get this fight on. Let’s see how far Bradley Saunders will go. On paper i’m Poopie, but I can guarantee I will be the hardest fight he will have coming up the ranks.

As mentioned you’ve fought some good fighters early on in their careers. Has anyone caught your eye recently?

Ant Crolla has improved so much and all I can say is that this is down to the ‘Freddie Roach of Britain’, the one and only Mr Joe Gallagher.
Thank you for the time you’ve taken out to interview me. I would just like to wish Stephen Smith good luck on Friday when he fights Ben Jones who is from my town but he is a tool. I’m team Smith, I love him and his family. Good luck bruv.

A big thankyou also goes to Robin Deakin for taking his time to speak with myself. The Corner Stool wishes him good luck in 2012 and hopefully he will get that fight with Bradley Saunders.

thecornerstool

Back to top Go down

Interview with Journeyman "Rockin' Robin" Deakin. Empty Re: Interview with Journeyman "Rockin' Robin" Deakin.

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 8:37 pm

Thanks Cornerstool, enjoyed reading this. Ringside did an interesting feature on journeymen a few months back, certainly a valuable part of the boxing industry.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down