The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Greenwood just made a great point

+15
TycroesOsprey
lostinwales
Gibson
ChequeredJersey
belovedfrosties
gowales
Welshmushroom
slartibartfast
miteyironpaw
doctor_grey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
EnglishReign
Glas a du
eirebilly
thebluesmancometh
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Will Greenwood just made a great point Empty Will Greenwood just made a great point

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:11 pm

One I hadn't considered, for all Englands failings, lack of creativity etc... England have played 3 games and have made 3 very good Fly halfs look very ordinary. Now I know Parks, Burton and Preistland are not world beaters, but they are good international players. Not just fly half's either, 12's and scrum halfs are struggling too.

This I feel has to be attributed to Lancaster, and the way he wants to play.

He has also just said that Wales are now the real deal, but need to step up and start taking regular SH teams on home and away.

Fair play to him, both assesments are bang on in my view, what do we all think?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Will Greenwood just made a great point Empty Re: Will Greenwood just made a great point

Post by eirebilly Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Priestland is the only decent fly half in that group and to be honest, he was his own worst enemy.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Will Greenwood just made a great point Empty Re: Will Greenwood just made a great point

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Maybe I meant 2 great points...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Priestland is not a great outside half. Burton is Pro12 standard. Parks is past it. Ireland made Priestland look good. They knew his limitations from the pro12 but took no advantage. Tut tut warning
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 pm

Not sure about the first two, but certainly Priestland had a nightmare on Saturday. Will be imperative against the classy half-backs of France and Ireland.

Wales are the real deal, although on the back foot for some of the game, they were in control for the full 80 I feel. They've always played good rugby, so fairplay to them for making strides over the last year.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:41 pm

The chargedowns thing is a tactic and it looks like theyve been targetting that. As is shutting down the midfield.

It may be pushing it s a bit to say 3 fine fly halves ( ok a hell of a lot in Burtons case) but England have been effective in the most in breaking up other teams play. Its their own thats been the problem

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Well two more matches and we will know the truth of this. If England get through the rest of the 6 Nations and still keep the scoreline down, then we can give credit. But they still need to get someone besides the groundkeeper across the try line.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:04 pm

It's Botha who is playing like a 6, as I've said about 400 times here. Check out how much pressure he's putting on. Personally I'd prefer to see him played directly at 6 and Lancaster bring in a better scrummager and lineout option.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:56 pm

did Defensive pressure on Priestland make him miss two penalties to touch? no

Did the defensive line force him to chip poorly to the corner in the first 2mins? No.

Are you really telling me Preistland has never played against a rush defence before?

thou giveth too much credit to England sir. I must protest.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:29 am

I dont think that England have posed a great attacking threat bar a few moments but what they have done is edfend very well.

As i said in my first post, Preistland was his own worst enemy on Saturday and that really had nothing to do with England. You can see that clearly because when Priestland went off for 10, Wales looked a much more composed side.

Dan Parks is Dan Parks, when not having a good game looks very ordinary and he looked very ordinary.

Burton, as Glas said, is Pro 12 quality at best.

Other than Phillips, England have also not come up against a very good scrum half. Phillips was pretty impressive against England as well considering he almost had to fullfill two positions due to Priestlands off day.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Look in fairness England raised their game for Wales. To be perfectly honest they had too.

But to state Priestland is not a good fly half is a bit far fetched.

He's calm under pressure, great at attacking the line, good passing skill, big for a fly half and solid in defence. Kicks well out of hand as well most of the time. To be perfectly honest he has all the attributes for the perfect outside half. Yes he has not shown this during the 6 Nations yet but give the guy a break. He clearly has not played enough games since his injury to judge him on his last 3 appearances.

To be honest the difference is that I still think Wales can improve from the way they have played during the 6 Nations, in contrast to England who probably played their best game of the tournament against us.

As a Welsh fan im excited by the times ahead. I just hope the players dont get carried away with the hype and realize that until they start beating SH opposition on a regular basis that they are not where they need to be. As much as I love the 6 Nations our Summer and Autumn games will be of greater interest to me in terms of development.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:Look in fairness England raised their game for Wales

Oh that old chestnut "everybody raises their game for Wales"

Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Not at all. But of the 3 matches England played so far this was the one they showed a better intent to play rugby in. That to be honest was down to the players available. Tuilagi making a key difference.

At the end of the day Ireland I thought didnt raise their game and underperformed in the Wales game. They should have won that.

So I'm not sure what your getting at.

If there is one side in World Rugby that statement applies to New Zealand. Because if you dont play your best game against them they probably put 40 points on you to rub it in.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:25 pm

I don't think so at all.

I think Lancaster is building a team in a linear way. Foundations, basics, execution and then building on that. The progress from week 1 to week 3 is clearly visible. Of course, players returning from injury will make a different to a squad, but the game plan is slowly expanding as the weeks go by.

Clearly SL has been targeting the France game to show his full hand and it will be interesting to see how much progress has been made by then.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Burton Pro 12 standard...? More like Italian second division.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Bit presumptuous of you there Welshmushroom, England have played their best game against you so far, but we will need to raise our attack against the french. I still think there is more to come from this england team in this years 6N.

Its hard to say with Wales, as when given time they are devastating, but as the England (and to an extent scotland) game showed, blitz the midfield, stop roberts and smother the welsh and they are made to look ordinary. England controlled the game for the majority (bar the first 15-20mins) and had it not been for some stupidity by Stevens, and a good bit of opportunism from Williams, England would have deservedly won that game.

Is Priestland really that big for a fly half? Tuilagi brushed him off with ease every time they met. Priestland has the same tackle technique of several fly halves which i can't stand (the technique, not the players) of grabbing the attacker high and trying to pull them down as they run forward. Go low, Farrell and Barritt gave masterclasses on tackling in the Wales game.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Love this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GAI6NE2qM
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:48 pm

belovedfrosties wrote:Bit presumptuous of you there Welshmushroom, England have played their best game against you so far, but we will need to raise our attack against the french. I still think there is more to come from this england team in this years 6N.

Its hard to say with Wales, as when given time they are devastating, but as the England (and to an extent scotland) game showed, blitz the midfield, stop roberts and smother the welsh and they are made to look ordinary. England controlled the game for the majority (bar the first 15-20mins) and had it not been for some stupidity by Stevens, and a good bit of opportunism from Williams, England would have deservedly won that game.

Is Priestland really that big for a fly half? Tuilagi brushed him off with ease every time they met. Priestland has the same tackle technique of several fly halves which i can't stand (the technique, not the players) of grabbing the attacker high and trying to pull them down as they run forward. Go low, Farrell and Barritt gave masterclasses on tackling in the Wales game.

You are correct England could ofc raise the bar further against the French and Irish.

As for the scoreline im not sure what you are driving at. Sure England could have won assuming Williams didnt score his try and that England could have held out for 20 mins or so at 12-9. On the flip side of that had North evaded the last ditch tackle in the opening minutes of the game Wales could have gone on to win comfortably. I actually think Priestland played a lot of wrong options on the day. Wales tried to go wide to early and failed to realize that England where infact commiting numbers to rucks (slowing our ball down) and then fanning out in defence. They should have attacked the fringes a lot more than they did to suck the defenders in. Also Priestland should have put it behind England a little more and was way to slow on the chargedown clearance. That said he's lacking gametime and his form will improve no doubt. At any rate, sometimes the difference and mark of good sides is being clynical at taking chances. Wales did and won the game.

At 6'1 and over 15 stone Priestland is big for a Fly Half. Not many fly halves around bigger than him. Tuilagi is a hell of a lump though. He made a clear difference to England in attack as well. Had Charlie "I Cant tackle" Hodgson been there I dont think England would have done as well in defence. Ive said all along that Tuilagi is the key player England need to build their game around. There is no question in my mind hes a special talent.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 pm

WOW

All this Tuilagi love... you wait and see what the French do to him, they are remarkable at really showing glaring weaknesses in teams, even if 50 million home supporters can't see it, Tuilagi will be wrapped up, turned, and really exploited.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:32 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:WOW

All this Tuilagi love... you wait and see what the French do to him, they are remarkable at really showing glaring weaknesses in teams, even if 50 million home supporters can't see it, Tuilagi will be wrapped up, turned, and really exploited.
What's the problem? He's a heck of a player and we're glad he's back. He's added a bit of go-forward to the side and he's exciting to watch. I can't imagine the French (or anybody) would look forward to playing against him.

Now you wonder why people think your articles are just English-baiting wind-ups Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 pm

It's not anti English, I have told my respect for that performance a number of times.

Tuilagi was good against an in effective defence, I think the Welsh underestimated him slightly, but for me, Tuilagi offers very little more than most south sea islanders, a dynamic very powerfull carrying game, but an overall lack of grasp of what it takes. He'll be a very good clubman, and if England struggle will gain 20/30 caps, but all this lauding about how world class he is frustrates me. Even though he had a very good game, the Welsh attack failed to fire fully, and when they did Tuilagi got caught in no mans land a few times. I think I'd probably like him more if he just stoppped looking for someone to smash!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Nah, if you're not anti-English then you just don't watch much rugby. Probably both if you don't rate Tuilagi.

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Priestland is no where near 15stone, more like 14stone. If he was as heavy as you claim its even more embarrassing that hes getting swatted away so easily, Wilko was only around the 14 stone (90kg) mark as well for comparison.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:00 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:One I hadn't considered, for all Englands failings, lack of creativity etc... England have played 3 games and have made 3 very good Fly halfs look very ordinary. Now I know Parks, Burton and Preistland are not world beaters, but they are good international players. Not just fly half's either, 12's and scrum halfs are struggling too.

He has also just said that Wales are now the real deal, but need to step up and start taking regular SH teams on home and away.

I personally think Sexton will give Flood, Farrell or Charge-down Charlie, an abject lesson on Paddy's Day at Twickers.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Gibson wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:One I hadn't considered, for all Englands failings, lack of creativity etc... England have played 3 games and have made 3 very good Fly halfs look very ordinary. Now I know Parks, Burton and Preistland are not world beaters, but they are good international players. Not just fly half's either, 12's and scrum halfs are struggling too.

I personally think Sexton will give Flood, Farrell or Charge-down Charlie, an abject lesson on Paddy's Day at Twickers.
raspberry Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Well, he has done already. Has at HC and International level. Man-shamed em all. Soo, I dont expect much change there.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Has Sexton even played against Hodgson and Farrell (at 10)?

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:42 am

Well he played against them at the RWC and stood out by miles in contrast to what was generally a very poor England display. Its all 'potential' but he is just as capable as running around people as through them - he is a big unit - and he can pass and defend. The only reason I can see that he wont have a long career in an England shirt is if he gets injured all the time.

He was a lot quieter in the 2nd half vs Wales but the thinking is he isnt yet as fit as we'd like. - He certainly didnt mess up defensively.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:50 am

Sexton is better than Flood, equal to Charge-down Charlie, and won't be as good as Farell, BUT, Farell has a lot to learn and can be caught cold. Pick Jennings or Niall Ronan and tell them to make his life a misery, get in his face when he's on the ball first half. First tackle - fly at him and hit him, late, high, so be it. Then second half send Ferris and SOB down his channel.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:02 am

lostinwales wrote:

Well he played against them at the RWC and stood out by miles in contrast to what was generally a very poor England display. Its all 'potential' but he is just as capable as running around people as through them - he is a big unit - and he can pass and defend. The only reason I can see that he wont have a long career in an England shirt is if he gets injured all the time.

He was a lot quieter in the 2nd half vs Wales but the thinking is he isnt yet as fit as we'd like. - He certainly didnt mess up defensively.

I'm tired of saying it now, because it will clearly never happen. But Tuilagi should be moved in to 12 rather than Barrit, look at the success Tonga and NZ had running had and direct through this channel. Agree with LiW that Tuilagi was massive in our Qfinal defeat. Bluesman is speaking out of hope and prejudice I suspect.

You are right that France are great at attacking weaknesses, which is why I fear for Wales. France will target Wales' 9/10 pivot and put pressure on that area of concern revealed by England. They will also use a more proficient short kicking game and exploit the deficiencies in Welsh discipline.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:17 am

Glas a du wrote:Sexton is better than Flood, equal to Charge-down Charlie, and won't be as good as Farell, BUT, Farell has a lot to learn and can be caught cold. Pick Jennings or Niall Ronan and tell them to make his life a misery, get in his face when he's on the ball first half. First tackle - fly at him and hit him, late, high, so be it. Then second half send Ferris and SOB down his channel.

You reckon? Very bold claim.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:30 am

Mitey

I might take what you say seriously if you didn't turn around and then tell me France will attack at 9, parra has had numerous nightmare games V Wales, partly because part of his game plays right into Phillips hands. If you've ever seen a Wales France game you'll see that they get the ball away from the contact area as quickly as possible, due to us having an extra flanker in defence.

I am not disagreeing with anyone that Tuilagi is big, and very powerfull, but so are all of his brothers, even the useless one at the Dragons, but that doesn't automatically = potential because he's young!!

He still lacks a quality international touch that the likes of Nonu, Freuen, Rougerie, and Smith all have. He is for me on par with the likes of Lamont.

Let me ask 2 questions to prove my point...

1. What does Manu give you that Alesana doesn't give leicester?

2. Who in reality would prefer to see him outside Roberts for Wales as opposed to Davies? Baring in mind Manu is bigger, stronger, and quicker!

My answers to both is nothing and no, and for me Roberts has the lions test jersey to lose at present, therefore Manu isn't in my lions team.

He was good 1st half V wales, in the same way Roberts was poor, they both did what they do best, but England had 3 season's of Roberts tapes to reveiw. 2nd half maybe a fitness issue, although it wasn't for leicester the week before, but I think it had much more to do with Williams nous, he rounded Manu as he got caught watching a dummy runner, a very simple obvious dummy runner at that.

And I'm not sure where everyones getting this 'he smashed through Preistland all day' according to my software he attacked the 10 channell 4 times, making about 13 yards (not exactly) he gave Preistland a bosh once but was also dragged down within the yard.

I also looked at Fodens and Ashtons running and support lines, they were pretty good, and on more than one occasion Manu goes down into contact with Foden and Ashton facing a forward or 2 in front of them.

For me if England are to compete with France Manu either needs to be replaced at half time, or be brought on with 20 to go.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:43 am

EnglishReign wrote:
Glas a du wrote:Sexton is better than Flood, equal to Charge-down Charlie, and won't be as good as Farell, BUT, Farell has a lot to learn and can be caught cold. Pick Jennings or Niall Ronan and tell them to make his life a misery, get in his face when he's on the ball first half. First tackle - fly at him and hit him, late, high, so be it. Then second half send Ferris and SOB down his channel.

You reckon? Very bold claim.

Its not really, the Irish should be targetting that game for a win and its a clear statement as to how the Irish play, simple brutal and generally effective. The Irish front five (if they keep the first choice fit) Will match England in the scrum and dominate the lineout. Englands line is almost as bad as Wales' and O Connell will exploit that. IN the back row neither side play a scavenging openside so it will be an arm wrestle with the Irish back row who are far too streetwise to get worried by the English breakaway trio. The Irish back row will go down the ten channell and attack the nine because that is what they do to everybody, Englands defence around the fringes is goig to be severely tested.

Irish halfbacks are settled and shoud get a good platform from the forwards which will allow them to dictate the attack. Sexton is mixing his game up so will know when to let it go wide and when to kick. Ireland also use the inside ball a lot and they will have seen Phillips and North exploit that area i the first minute at Twickenham. Expect them to fix the English defence with a couple of inside balls to a backrower or Bowe coming off his wing or Kearney coming into the line. Then they will let the ball go wide and given how the English back three are playing there is only one winner.

Irelands midfield defence isnt one of their strengths but Earls gives it more balance in attack so Tulagi might get some joy but Kearney is back to his best and Bowe is scoring tries so England will have to comjure somthing more than the odd Tuilagi break and a couple of penalties. I think its going to be a long st paddys day for teh English.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 am

I meant it was surprising that he thought Sexton wouldn't be as good as Farrell but was equal to Hodgson. Didn't need three paragraphs telling me what would happen on Paddy's day.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:51 am

Doh

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:04 am

TycroesOsprey wrote: Doh

Wink

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Exactly wHat do you mean. What do you think Wales are doing on. Those summer tours? We will have played Aus five times in a little over 6 months come June. Blinkered

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Dontheman wrote:

Exactly wHat do you mean. What do you think Wales are doing on. Those summer tours? We will have played Aus five times in a little over 6 months come June. Blinkered

I think he meant taking on and winning.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Bluesman, people are saying that Tuilagi smashed Priestland all day because everytime he tried to tackle tuilagi he ended up on the floor a few metres back. Tuilagi didn't make much ground as Roberts and a flanker (or Phillips) would come in, this happened at least twice from memory.

Also you don't appear to like tuilagi as he just crashes the ball up (in your opinion) but then put Roberts as your lions 12, even though that is all he does. There might be an argument that tuilagi does this better, he ran through Roberts twice in the wales game and also has more pace. You're right in that Manu doesn't give much more than Alessana, but he is barely 20 so will learn a lot more. Both give great go forward ball and will get over the gainline, much like your beloved Roberts, but he, in your eyes, is clearly superior for doing exactly the same job. Your argument that no-one would want him outside of Roberts for the Welsh team is a bit flawed considering that in the Lions 15 threads most people had Tuilagi as 13.

You are right in that he needs to sharpen up his defence, Williams got past him once which was due to Tuilagi not trusting his inside defence, nothing to do with Williams nous. He will learn that Barritt can handle himself and will not rush back in like he did.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Alessana and Manu are tow different players who play different positions. Im not sure that it would be that ahuge an insult to question what he offers that Alessana doesnt, its not like Aslessana is lacking on the trophy and international caps front is it.

What Manu lacks that his brother has in spades though is laziness. Hes been bought up in a professional environment, and it shows in his attitude on the pitch.
Hes also more nimble than his brothers, despite being a bit of a crash merchant in that game hes scored plenty of tries going round people in the past as well as using his power to go through them. Show me Jamie Roberts doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RGt8NQzLJ4
Thats why he plays 13 not 12.
Dont forget the try he scored on his England debut finding an angle with the Welsh midfield barely able to lay a hand on him. He can do that.

I do find the logic that Tuilagi is no good because Roberts isnt as fast and looks for contact more than he does a bit weird too.

If you wonder why England fans rate him take a look at the previous players we've had at 13 :
Tindall, Banahan, Noon.
Sure hes no Nonu but dont go and pretend Scott Williams is.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Beloved

I have to disagre on most of your points.

Firstly Preistland ended up on the floor 4 times out of 4, a metre or so behind the gainline, and yes your right Phillips and Roberts both had to make a cover tackle too, but that's not where Tuilagi made his metres, he made them out wide! 5 metres or so out wide is good if you use the ball correctly, which he doesn't, he looks for contact and goes to ground.

He also runs schoolboy lines, drifting until the ball is shipped to him, and he dummy lines are totally uninspiring, he looks uninterested and was totally ignored by the defence.

If he has to pass it's well before contact, and he doesn't commit defenders.

So basically in summation, if he was a battering ram at 12, tieing in flankers and centre alike it would be one thing, but being out wide cutting the supply to the back 3 he is not good, and a much inferior one to Davies IMO.

Also trust has nothing to do with it, he was caught watching Norths, allbeit impressive dummy run, and Williams just rounded him, and not the only time too, he was caught ball watching a few times but Wales never attacked his outside shoulder enough. FRANCE WILL!!!

And finally as impressive as the Warbs tackle is on him, he has all the time and room in the world to play Foden in for a try.

The difference between Roberts and Tuilagi is Roberts has developed into a much better ball player, and commits 3 defenders on his dummy lines, allowing for Davies to get room and use the back 3. Wether Tuilagi can develop his game like that remains to be seen, but at this moment in time he is going to be shown to be a weakness, mark my words.

PS I don't love Roberts, when he played 13 the back 3 struggled for ball, good usable ball too, and he generally piledrived into contact.

Sometimes I wish people would look at all attributes per position instead of just the ball carrying and big hits, they look good but at this level you need to be better than that.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Personally i rate Tuilagi and would leave him at 13. He is not only qucik and strong but he also has quite a bit of skill. He is going to be an excellent asset to England in the next few years.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:16 pm

peter

Thats a good try, but from my angle he is put into space with a 15 metre gap outside him, and the 2 inside tacklers made very poor efforts to bring him down, you will not see that in international rugby! Plus when he gets near the line what does he do? BOSH!!! You don't think the worlds best FB's wouldn't have cut him in half? or would he even got there in an international game... NO.

The try V Wales is actually a 12 crash line, exactly the same as Roberts in the Amlin final in Tolouse.

peter you are in the large group on here who beleives strength and speed is everything, I bet Smith is slower and not as powerfull as Tuilagi too, but he's twice the player, even BOD!!!

Just to put it into perspective, in the HC semi V leicester Roberts scores from running an outside shoulder line, then throwing a dummy and going into the corner, then in his own 22, steps inside one, outside a 2nd and through the third before playing a PASS to James for the gamesaving try. Thats the difference between them at present, Roberts plays the scoring pass, and is sound defencively.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:15 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Beloved

I have to disagre on most of your points.

Firstly Preistland ended up on the floor 4 times out of 4, a metre or so behind the gainline, and yes your right Phillips and Roberts both had to make a cover tackle too, but that's not where Tuilagi made his metres, he made them out wide! 5 metres or so out wide is good if you use the ball correctly, which he doesn't, he looks for contact and goes to ground.

He also runs schoolboy lines, drifting until the ball is shipped to him, and he dummy lines are totally uninspiring, he looks uninterested and was totally ignored by the defence.

If he has to pass it's well before contact, and he doesn't commit defenders.

So basically in summation, if he was a battering ram at 12, tieing in flankers and centre alike it would be one thing, but being out wide cutting the supply to the back 3 he is not good, and a much inferior one to Davies IMO.

Also trust has nothing to do with it, he was caught watching Norths, allbeit impressive dummy run, and Williams just rounded him, and not the only time too, he was caught ball watching a few times but Wales never attacked his outside shoulder enough. FRANCE WILL!!!

And finally as impressive as the Warbs tackle is on him, he has all the time and room in the world to play Foden in for a try.

The difference between Roberts and Tuilagi is Roberts has developed into a much better ball player, and commits 3 defenders on his dummy lines, allowing for Davies to get room and use the back 3. Wether Tuilagi can develop his game like that remains to be seen, but at this moment in time he is going to be shown to be a weakness, mark my words.

PS I don't love Roberts, when he played 13 the back 3 struggled for ball, good usable ball too, and he generally piledrived into contact.

Sometimes I wish people would look at all attributes per position instead of just the ball carrying and big hits, they look good but at this level you need to be better than that.

I'd say that in most teams those are better attributes for a 13 than a 12, but that's just me!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Yer avin a griaffe mate. Sexton is Lions designate. By a mile. Farell looks good, but hell of a lot to be proven yet. Ice-cool kicker. And as you say - a lot to learn yet. Give him time. But he is England's best option going forward.

Last edited by Gibson on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:34 pm

He'll be the best outside half in Europe in two years time, but your playing them in a fortnight.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Glas a du wrote:He'll be the best outside half in Europe in two years time, but your playing them in a fortnight.

I know. I expect a win too. Its always around my birthday and has become a yearly present.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Gibson wrote:Yer avin a griaffe mate. Sexton is Lions designate. By a mile. Farell looks good, but hell of a lot to be proven yet. Ice-cool kicker. And as you say - a lot to learn yet. Give him time. But he is England's best option going forward.

Sexton will have lost his Irish and Leinster places to Madigan by then Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:45 pm

Who cares what Will Greenwood thinks?
Oh thank you Master Sir for saying Wales are the real deal please take some more of our land as thanks for giving us your approval! mad

England are a poor team and couldn't even put a way a Welsh team who clearly knew turning up would just be enough to win them the game.

Owen Farrell is massively overrated but this is England and they need a new messiah every season to harp on about and crucify like the messiah next season.

Reading through these comments as well is hilarious with some of the claims from the English lads.

France are going to put away England with ease and to be honest i see Ireland tearing England a new one.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:47 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Who cares what Will Greenwood thinks?
Oh thank you Master Sir for saying Wales are the real deal please take some more of our land as thanks for giving us your approval! mad

England are a poor team and couldn't even put a way a Welsh team who clearly knew turning up would just be enough to win them the game.

Owen Farrell is massively overrated but this is England and they need a new messiah every season to harp on about and crucify like the messiah next season.

Reading through these comments as well is hilarious with some of the claims from the English lads.

France are going to put away England with ease and to be honest i see Ireland tearing England a new one.

Well which pundits do you listen to then? I think Greenwood is one of the better and more honest ones
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next