The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tigers v Glaws

+8
Cumbrian
ChequeredJersey
EnglishReign
yappysnap
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
HongKongCherry
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tigers v Glaws - Page 2 Empty Tigers v Glaws

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 2 Mar - 13:37

First topic message reminder :

Teams are up for Tigers v Glaws. 2 great traditional clubs and the games are always physical to say the least! What are the chances of another 41-41 draw? Glaws have made a few changes some forced some to allow players a rest, but all in all I’m happy with that side considering its in the middle of the 6 nations. Tigers are the form side and Glaws haven’t won at Welford Road since Leon Lloyd’s intercept day in 2007! Even with my natural bias, I think this will be a tough one for Glaws to win. I’d be happy with a losing bonus point at this stage of the season.

TIGERS (thanks LT & Sam)
Geordan Murphy (capt): Horacio Agulla, Matt Smith, Billy Twelvetrees, Alesana Tuilagi; Toby Flood, Ben Youngs; Marcos Ayerza, George Chuter, Logoviii Mulipola, George Skivington, Graham Kitchener, Steve Mafi, Julian Salvi, Thomas Waldrom.

Reps: Rob Hawkins, Boris Stankovich, Julian White, Ben Pienaar, Craig Newby, James Grindal, George Ford, Scott Hamilton

GLAWS
Jonny May; Charlie Sharples, Mike Tindall (capt), Tim Molenaar, Tom Voyce; Freddie Burns, Dave Lewis; Nick Wood, Darren Dawidiuk, Rupert Harden; Will James, Alex Brown; Tom Savage, Matt Cox, Brett Deacon

Replacements:
Scott Lawson, Dan Murphy, Shaun Knight, Jim Hamilton, Akapusi Qera, Nick Runciman, Ryan Mills, Ollie Phillips

Last edited by HongKongCherry on Fri 2 Mar - 13:59; edited 1 time in total
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Tigers v Glaws - Page 2 Empty Re: Tigers v Glaws

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 4 Mar - 21:25

He might go if they guaranteed the 12 jersey.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Sun 4 Mar - 21:52

Didn't Allen just sign a new contract at Tigers?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 4 Mar - 21:55

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Looks like Gloucester would benefit from getting a new 12.
How about trying to sign Athony Allen?

Broken Record Tumbleweed

We've got quite a good 12 coming to us next season don't you know! I presume you didn't watch the game today though as 12 wasn't our problem.

On a seperate note I understand Tom Daley is worried about the competition from Tuilagi Tigers v Glaws - Page 2 3559488474
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 4 Mar - 22:04

Another huge performance from Marcos Ayerza. We will miss him at the start of next season.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 4 Mar - 22:32

Both the props were massive for Tigers, and your second/third/fourth choice locks were better then a lot of teams starters.

HKC, on the bright side at least your talented youngsters got a bit of an eductaion ready for there international call ups. Burns still went really well and May I think will be better for realising there's more to full back then incredible, virtuoso tries!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 4 Mar - 22:35

Yappy, I'm amazed its taken this long for anyone to test May under the high ball. You're right, he and others will learn a lot from today
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 4 Mar - 22:49

yappysnap wrote:May I think will be better for realising there's more to full back then incredible, virtuoso tries!

I wish someone had told Brian Ahston that before he insisted on picking Ian Balshaw

Maybe they shoould consider moving May to 12

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 5 Mar - 9:08

I did find it very surprising that the smallest player in the Jeff could have such an impact upon a man mountain like Tuilagi. It may have been a penalty, but there is absolutely no place in the game for such play acting.

Not sure you can call it play acting when there's definite contact and no question that Lewis uses his entire body to block Tuilagi. You should listen less to Mr Stuart 'I hate Leicester' Barnes. I hope Cockers tells Alesana to keep his hands down and drop the shoulder next time because refs are assuming he's going down easy and players are blocking him frequently.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 5 Mar - 9:34

Come on Sam, do you honestly think I give any credibility to what Barnes says or his parrot Harrison?!

It was a clear penalty of that I am in no doubt, but I have never seen Tuilagi so easily knocked over. It seems he's Samson when he's got the ball and Delilah when he hasn't!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 5 Mar - 9:49

No wonder Ashton tried to rip his hair out

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Mon 5 Mar - 10:26

HongKongCherry wrote: I did find it very surprising that the smallest player in the Jeff could have such an impact upon a man mountain like Tuilagi. It may have been a penalty, but there is absolutely no place in the game for such play acting.

Play acting....wouldn't be necessary if small players in the Jeff weren't cheating in the first place.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 5 Mar - 10:40

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Looks like Gloucester would benefit from getting a new 12.

Haven't they signed 36?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 5 Mar - 13:09

Equo Troiano wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote: I did find it very surprising that the smallest player in the Jeff could have such an impact upon a man mountain like Tuilagi. It may have been a penalty, but there is absolutely no place in the game for such play acting.

Play acting....wouldn't be necessary if small players in the Jeff weren't cheating in the first place.

What like Neil Back?!

Joking aside, that really was a rather silly comment. That type of "cheating" takes place in every game of rugby, but you don't see every game the type of collapse to rival Alan Rickman's in Robin Hood...
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 5 Mar - 13:19

My favourite was the way he tossed his hands in the air. Very much soccer style. Got to admit when I get knocked over my hand usually go down to break my fall. If I was a cynic I'd suggest he waved them about to attract attention to the fact he had been viciously blocked.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 5 Mar - 13:26

Personally I feel his reaction cost him the penalty. I remember Henry Paul doing the same thing for Glaws many moons ago and the same happened then.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 5 Mar - 13:29

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Haven't they signed 36?

Why would he sign for them when hes the regualr starting 12 for Tiogers? Surely not the money Whistle broken drumroll

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 5 Mar - 13:32

As for why, I could not tell you, but he has: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16669543
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 5 Mar - 13:37

Yeah you may have noticed Ive spent the last few weeks plaguing every Gloucester thread with gags about the turncoat

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Mon 5 Mar - 13:37

HongKongCherry wrote:Personally I feel his reaction cost him the penalty. I remember Henry Paul doing the same thing for Glaws many moons ago and the same happened then.

But did Henry Paul then go on to intercept a rubbish kick and run the length of the pitch to score a try in a completely one sided drubbing? .... Whistle

Last edited by Equo Troiano on Mon 5 Mar - 13:39; edited 1 time in total

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 5 Mar - 13:38

Equo Troiano wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:Personally I feel his reaction cost him the penalty. I remember Henry Paul doing the same thing for Glaws many moons ago and the same happened then.

But did Henry Paul then go on to intercept a rubbish kick and run the length of the pitch to score in a completely one sided drubbong? .... Whistle

Not if it was a Union game no

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 5 Mar - 13:55

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Yeah you may have noticed Ive spent the last few weeks plaguing every Gloucester thread with gags about the turncoat

I hadn't noticed! Wink

I wonder if Scarlets fans are going to start now we've guaranteed the 8 spot to Morgan...
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 5 Mar - 14:03

Morgan is a good acquisition for Gloucester, they certainly needed more go forward yesterday than their forwards can offer. Big Jim Hamilton was clearly a class above your other locks though and that has to be a worry as, although, he's a good player there's to much reliance on him to do the enforcer work. Maybe pushing Brett Deacon into the second row might be an option?

Even so a team of;

Wood, Edmonds, Harden
Hamilton, Buxton
Savage, Morgan, Quera
Lewis, Burns
Twelvetrees, Trinder
Sharples, Morgan, JSD

should see you do well next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 5 Mar - 14:11

formerly known as Sam wrote:Morgan is a good acquisition for Gloucester, they certainly needed more go forward yesterday than their forwards can offer. Big Jim Hamilton was clearly a class above your other locks though and that has to be a worry as, although, he's a good player there's to much reliance on him to do the enforcer work. Maybe pushing Brett Deacon into the second row might be an option?

Even so a team of;

Wood, Edmonds, Harden
Hamilton, Buxton
Savage, Morgan, Quera
Lewis, Burns
Twelvetrees, Trinder
Sharples, Morgan, JSD

should see you do well next season.

Plus May and Tindall on the bench
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 5 Mar - 14:16

Cheers Sam. I must admit I was very disappointed by Will James, the one thing you can rely on him is for him to be physical and he just wasn't in it. Savage will in the long run provide more oomph, but yesterday very few of our forwards competed with the exception of Wood - we're waiting to find out how bad his injury is.

And you should add Jimmy Cowan to that list. I'm quite excited about next seaason.

Last edited by HongKongCherry on Mon 5 Mar - 14:25; edited 1 time in total
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 5 Mar - 14:23

I thought Savage was a right royal pain and seemed to spend most of the game offside. A good openside performance really (I know he was wearing 6 but it still was)!

I think Glaws got their tactics wrong, Burns kicked well but taking Tigers on at the lineout was always a dodgey plan, even with Chuter's slightly iffy form. They were just forcing Tigers to play a tight game which suited Tigers down to the ground. Tigers kicking stratedy on the other hand piled pressure on the young May and forced the Glaws wingers to drop deeper and deeper out of the game to cover. For once Tigers summoned up a half decent kick chase which was decisive. If Glaws had spent their time kicking in behind the Tigers line then Agulla and Alesana weren't covering that well and Geordan would have been very exposed. A hint of quick ball and Glaws could have done something.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 5 Mar - 14:36

Have Gloucester signed Jimmy Cowan?

So haw about Dean Richards helping you boys now HKC?

On the actual game I really think you missed a trick not starting Quera, he's often your stand out forward and would have loved that match.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 5 Mar - 14:37

I agree. It was one of those days where we just didn't click. That was a young team that will learn a lot from yesterday, so bizarelly I'm quite optimistic for the rest of the season. We've got Exeter, Sale & Newcastle at home and Irish & Wasps away and we have a good chance of winning them all.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 5 Mar - 14:40

yappysnap wrote:Have Gloucester signed Jimmy Cowan?

So haw about Dean Richards helping you boys now HKC?

On the actual game I really think you missed a trick not starting Quera, he's often your stand out forward and would have loved that match.

I understand Q had been sick all week so couldn't start, but you're right we did miss him and no I don't want Richards!!

The Cowan signing hasn't been announced but it sounds very likely...
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon 5 Mar - 18:48

Dan Robson looks a decent prospect having seen him play for Eng U20's. Looks like Glaws will have some nice depth next season.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2