The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ricky Burns

2 posters

Go down

Ricky Burns Empty Ricky Burns

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 26 Mar 2011 - 10:33

In September Ricky Burns had his career best performance in a great fight beating a genuine puncher and picking himself up from a first round knockdown to take a good UD. Since then he has been giving defences against 2 poor opponents. Their was a real buzz about Burns after the Martinez fight with the poor selection of opponents this has diminished.
His fight against Martinez was held at the Kelvin Hall it may only hold 2500 but Ricky can't sell more tickets than that. His 2 defences have been held at the Braehead Arena which is twice the size of the Kelvin Hall but he can only half fill it. This killed the atmosphere at the fights. When Burns beat Martinez the atmosphere was amazing and helped bring the best out in both fighters especially Ricky, but at the Braehead Arena it is half full so the atmosphere is not very good.
Their was talk of Mzonke Fana coming over here to fight Burns and Warren wanted to hold it in a stadium. This would probably be Airdries stadium which would take about 10000. Mzonke Fana is not going to sell an extra 7000 tickets.
Kelvin Hall is the home of Scottish boxing 10 out of our 12 world champions have fought their. Only Tancy Lee who fought before the venue opened and Murray Sutherland who never fought in Britain he campaigned in America are the only 2 of our world champions who never fought at one of the best boxing venues in Britain. Frank Warren has handled Rickys career excellently up until now especially getting the Martinez fight in Scotland because if that fight had of been in Puerto Rico I don't think Burns would be a world champion just now. But since that fight he has handled it poorly.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Ricky Burns Empty Re: Ricky Burns

Post by ArchBritishchris Sat 26 Mar 2011 - 21:37

If there are only 12 world champions I wouldn't complain. He's a world champion, thats enough.

Burns is taking things at his own pace so far. But, he performed well in his last fight, that guy wasn't to bad. There is more to come from Ricky Burns, he's a decent boxer and i'm fairly sure he'll start to show that against higher class opposition soon. Warren is going to want some big fights to sell, Burns will as well.

Fana would be a good fight to take on, don't know if it will sell. He could move over to the states like Murray Sutherland. Why not bring Fana and Uchiyama over there, negates home town advantage along with it. Build up a following in the US, the fights back in Scotland would certainly sell then.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 26 Mar 2011 - 21:52

[quote="ArchBritishchris"]If there are only 12 world champions I wouldn't complain. He's a world champion, thats enough.

That's quite patronising.
But we want to see Ricky take on the best the Scottish public won't get behind him if he doesn't. They won't put up with filling Warrens pockets against poor opponents because he can't put on a good show in Scotland without Ricky.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Sat 26 Mar 2011 - 22:36

I was only joking with that comment. Scotland has a rich boxing history, with Buchanan, Lynch and so on.

I get the impression Burns wants to ease himself in as champ, he's competing at world level now. Its time to move on and take on some decent contenders, pick someone who looks good in the top 10.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 26 Mar 2011 - 22:48

The problem is it isn't a strong weight although Adrian Broehner the unbeaten American looks good. They are just working him towards title contention. Also the other 3 champions at his weight are all fighters who fight at home so unifying the division looks impossible although I would have Burns as favourite to fight Broehner in America later this year.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down