The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mad Dog Moody retires with immediate effect

+5
Bathite
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
formerly known as Sam
Equo Troiano
Cumbrian
9 posters

Go down

Mad Dog Moody retires with immediate effect Empty Mad Dog Moody retires with immediate effect

Post by Cumbrian Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:43 am

http://www.bathrugby.com/news/team-news/lewis-moody-retires-with-immediate-effect

Bath Rugby Flanker and Former England Captain Lewis Moody MBE has retired from rugby union with immediate effect.

Renowned for his fearless style of play, Lewis Moody has been putting his body on the line for club and country for 16 years. Making his first appearance for Leicester Tigers in 1996, Lewis went on to play at the club for 14 years, before moving to Bath in the summer of 2010.

With 71 caps for his country and 3 for the British and Irish Lions, he is one of the very few players to have consistently excelled in world rugby for the duration of his career. As the most capped England flanker he is also one of the most decorated, with an incredible 7 Premiership titles, 2 Heineken Cup winners medals, 1 LV= Cup winners medal, 2 Six Nations Championship winners medals and 1 World Cup winners medal.

Lewis spoke today ahead of announcing his retirement, ''It is with great sadness that I have to announce my immediate retirement from all forms of rugby. I have been very privileged to have played in some incredible teams and with some phenomenal players.''

"I owe a huge debt of gratitude to all the medics and physios who have put me back together time and time again to enable me to continue to play this wonderful sport of ours.''

"I would like to thank all of the coaches that I have worked with during my career, from Bracknell minis to the British and Irish Lions; they have all left their mark on me as a player.''

"It goes without saying how much I value the fans who have supported me so loyally over the years, it has been one of life's singular pleasures to have played this game in front of you.''

"Finally, I would not have achieved what I have in this sport without the continued support of my family and friends during my entire career. Rugby has been my life for such a long time now, it is scary to imagine what it will be like without it, but I look forward to relishing the new opportunities and adventures that will come my way.''

Since stepping down from international rugby in November 2011, Lewis spoke of his passion to channel his efforts in to succeeding with Bath Rugby. Sir Ian McGeechan, Director of Rugby at Bath, has added;

"Lewis has been a fantastic servant to the game, and I am disappointed I will not now have another opportunity to work with him on the training pitch and watch him deliver in a Bath jersey. He has had a tremendous career and is a player I have greatly admired. He is always fully committed and is everything any coach would want in a Back Row forward.''

"He is someone whose opinion I trust and value, and he leaves a fantastic legacy from his time with Leicester, England and the Lions, which will long be remembered.''

Nick Blofeld, Chief Executive of Bath Rugby, has spoken of Lewis's influence at the club both on and off of the field.

"Lewis has had a very positive impact throughout his time with Bath. Part of the reason we signed him was due to the experience and attitude he would bring off the field as well as on it, and he has played a big role in helping us to strengthen the culture, attitude and playing environment at the Club. We are of course sad to see him retire, but wish him all the best with his future."

Moments most memorable to fans will include his match winning charge down in the 2003 Rugby World Cup Final and leading England in June 2010 when they famously beat Australia on their home turf.

Martin Johnson who played alongside Lewis for Leicester and England before coaching him, said:

"When I look back at playing with Lewis it always brings a smile to my face – it was never dull. He was one of the most committed guys I ever played with and had a complete disregard for his own physical wellbeing. It's sad that he has had to retire but he should be remembered for a great career and someone who never gave less than 100 percent for his club and country."
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Mad Dog Moody retires with immediate effect Empty Re: Mad Dog Moody retires with immediate effect

Post by Equo Troiano Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:44 am

Top signing for Bath that... chortle. Of course, they neglect to mention that all of his acolades came with Tigers and Bath basically bought a knackered old war horse..

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Mad Dog Moody retires with immediate effect Empty Re: Mad Dog Moody retires with immediate effect

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:46 am

Also posted on international section.

Very sad he was a great player, a real icon for England in some otherwise difficult years. Hope he comes home and gets a job with the club he loves.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:48 am

Oops, I didn't see it there.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:52 am

It probably needs a story in both sections Cumbrian.

Bath will be scrabbling around after backrowers again this summer. They seem in permanant need for backrow enforcements with Ovens and Mercer always on the fringes. I wonder if they'll be brave and decide to not replace Moody and use the salary cap room on the tight five instead.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:56 am

Proves the point many of us made when Tigers let him go. Its a big shame for all invloved he didnt get to enjoy his last season

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:59 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:It probably needs a story in both sections Cumbrian.

Bath will be scrabbling around after backrowers again this summer. They seem in permanant need for backrow enforcements with Ovens and Mercer always on the fringes. I wonder if they'll be brave and decide to not replace Moody and use the salary cap room on the tight five instead.

Tight five definitely on the agenda, Jenkins and Jones both sounded out as marquee signings and were keen, but both deemed not good value. Webber is a good signing at hook and Day adds depth at lock. Hopefully a full season of Fearns next year will seem like a new signing.

However, we now have the 250k from Moody's contract up for grabs (along with a potential short term injury cover). Wonder if Salvi fancies coming back again, I know he was keen before, but we didn't need him, so went to Tigers on short term. Personally, I'm dreaming that we will hijack Kaino's move to Ulster and get him as the marquee

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Julian-Salvi-keen-stay-Leicester-Tigers/story-15374068-detail/story.html

Looks unlikely on the Salvi front as he's under contract for next season and is after a year extension on top of that.

I Kaino is unavailable then the current Ulster no8 Wannenburg will be and he is a good player and would be cheaper.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:13 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Proves the point many of us made when Tigers let him go. Its a big shame for all invloved he didnt get to enjoy his last season

Many were also calling for him to be retained at any cost. Personally, I wasn't one of them.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

I had the pleasurew of coaching Moodos a little when he was a schoolboy. Plenty of good things that can be said - but frankly Geechs covered it all with his statement:

"Lewis has been a fantastic servant to the game, and I am disappointed I will not now have another opportunity to work with him on the training pitch and watch him deliver in a Bath jersey. He has had a tremendous career and is a player I have greatly admired. He is always fully committed and is everything any coach would want in a Back Row forward.''

"He is someone whose opinion I trust and value, and he leaves a fantastic legacy from his time with Leicester, England and the Lions, which will long be remembered.''

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 06 Mar 2012, 3:37 pm

Bathite wrote: Personally, I'm dreaming that we will hijack Kaino's move to Ulster and get him as the marquee

I think you and we can forget that - he is likely to go to France or Japan for a 600,000+ salary for 9 months.
In neither of our leagues.
Ulster are, I think, are renegotiating to retain Wannenberg instead

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:32 pm

Most thought Moody wouldn't make next season and it now leaves the way open for a Skirving, Louw and Fearns combo. Fearns looked good when he came on, clattering a few Worcester players. Mercer and Ovens should also be breaking into the first team back row regularly next season too.
Our props are all relatively young with the exception of Bell who gave Mullan an examination and reminded folk in the stands when he and Barnes used to create pressure at scrumtime, something we haven't had in quite a while. Suspect recruiting a hulk at centre would be a target.
Looking forward to seeing Webber with Wilson and young Catt as a front row next season with Day and Attwood making a sizeable second row too. The injury list has battered us this season - hopefully we will get a bit of luck next season.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:53 pm

Sad to see him retire but at least I wont have to see him in a Bath shirt again!.......just so wrong!

How many league appearances did he actually make for Bath ?

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:53 am

Its a shame, really disliked to see him on a team sheet against my teams but have a massive respect for him as well.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down